PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Coop's staying

Stroker Ace
10-26-2005, 03:45 PM
The Yankees have offered Ron Guidry a job as pitching coach. Just heard this on Mike and the Mad Dog. (660 WFAN NY). So it looks like Coop is staying on the southside!:D:

doublem23
10-26-2005, 03:47 PM
The NY Times didn't get its facts straight? :rolleyes:

asindc
10-26-2005, 03:48 PM
I'd like to hear this from the club, but if it's true, that's really good news!

Unregistered
10-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Coop is signed through 2006. He wasn't going anywhere next year.

Stroker Ace
10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
I'd like to hear this from the club, but if it's true, that's really good news!Me too, but this is a NY show, and I don't think they would make something up like this.

doublem23
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Nothing from the team, but several print sources have Guidry's agent saying that talks are going on...

http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks224480241oct22,0,7903565.story?coll=ny-yankees-print

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/113004668025980.xml&coll=1

cleanwsox
10-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Very good news indeed. With most of the pitching staff returning and some young guys coming up, our chances to get back to the World Series will be pretty damn good.

MrRoboto83
10-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Why would Coop want to go to NY anyways?? He is going to win a championship here!!!

TheOldRoman
10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Coop is signed through 2006. He wasn't going anywhere next year.
That is true, but teams don't usually hold back their workers in that situation. JR would let the Yankees interview Coop, knowing that he grew up a huge Yankees fan and would love to coach there. Coop may love it here, but he might really want to coach in NY some day.
If Coop wanted to interview, and JR said no, it could anger Coop, which might cause him to do a worse job. You never want your employees to be unhappy.
I'm just glad it didn't come to that.

TheOldRoman
10-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Why would Coop want to go to NY anyways?? He is going to win a championship here!!!
You can probably tell he is from NY if you've ever heard him talk. He grew up a huge Yankees fan, and he cried the first time he ever put their uniform on.
Im sure he would love to coach there someday, just as Buehrle would love to play for the Cardinals someday. That doesn't mean they love this team any less.

Unregistered
10-26-2005, 04:10 PM
That is true, but teams don't usually hold back their workers in that situation. JR would let the Yankees interview Coop, knowing that he grew up a huge Yankees fan and would love to coach there. Coop may love it here, but he might really want to coach in NY some day.
If Coop wanted to interview, and JR said no, it could anger Coop, which might cause him to do a worse job. You never want your employees to be unhappy.
I'm just glad it didn't come to that.

From The NY Daily News:
"Cooper, who is under contract with the White Sox for next year, doesn't know if he'll even be allowed to talk to the Yankees. In fact, White Sox GM Ken Williams responded to rumors of the Yankees seeking Cooper by saying flatly: "He's not going anywhere."

"I don't know if the White Sox would grant permission," Cooper said. "I can't worry about that. My focus is here, with these pitchers and going for a ring, which is something I wouldn't trade for any amount of money."
--------------------------

The Sox aren't the ****ing Royals. We're not some farm team for New York and Boston to pick and choose from.

Dan Mega
10-26-2005, 04:10 PM
When the Sox won the ALCS, Coop told ESPN (I think) that his allegience is with Chicago and said something like "the NY media heard a rumor and ran with it, go figure"...

TheOldRoman
10-26-2005, 04:14 PM
The Sox aren't the ****ing Royals. We're not some farm team for New York and Boston to pick and choose from.
I realize that, but teams usually don't hold back coaching talent. I suppose it applies more to advancement and not just lateral moves, such as if the Yankees wanted to interview Coop for manager. I can promise you that if any team wanted to interview Coop for manager, KW would grant them permission.

Unregistered
10-26-2005, 04:20 PM
I realize that, but teams usually don't hold back coaching talent. I suppose it applies more to advancement and not just lateral moves, such as if the Yankees wanted to interview Coop for manager. I can promise you that if any team wanted to interview Coop for manager, KW would grant them permission.Right - but again, it's not a managerial opportunity. It's just the NY Press assuming that no person would ever turn down the opportunity to work for the almighty Yankees.

"It's flattering, but right now to me it's all words," Cooper said. "I've been here 19 years. My loyalty, my focus, my passion is here."

Still, New York writers were lining up to talk to him. "Right now it looks like I'm the flavor of the month," he said. "It's nice to be recognized, but I know why I'm being recognized. ... I'm not egotistical enough to think it's me."

gobears1987
10-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Right - but again, it's not a managerial opportunity. It's just the NY Press assuming that no person would ever turn down the opportunity to work for the almighty Yankees. THat last quote you had best describe not just Coop but the Sox. Coop is saying it's his pitchers that are the reason he is doing well while he pitchers say it is him. No one on this team has an ego, it's amazing.