PDA

View Full Version : Your Old Quotes - 2005 In Review

Madvora
10-26-2005, 02:32 PM
I thought this would be a good time for people to look back on some good or bad quotes or predictions they may have made throughout this year.

Most likely the best ones will come from the "choking" period in September.

This one is during a 9/27 gamethread vs the Tigers

I don't feel safe being down a run to the Tigers.
Make that 2 and that should be enough to beat us
This is disgusting. How are we supposed to compete against real teams in October?

Madvora
10-26-2005, 02:34 PM
I said this on 9/23
If we started a new season today we would finish about 35 games behind Cleveland at the end of the season.

HawkDJ
10-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Here's the beauty from me in that same Tigers game thread.

Who cares..if we can't beat Detroit when they hand us that many walks..we certainly won't beat Cleveland or anyone in the playoffs for that matter.

OEO Magglio
10-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Here's the beauty from me in that same Tigers game thread.

[/i]
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Madvora
10-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Ha! I found a great one from the 9/27 Detroit game by BeviBall!
If you recall, Geoff Blum (in as a pinch hitter) grounded into an inning ending double play in the 8th during a Sox rally and led to a 3-2 loss.

Let's go Geoff. Don't you want to be the hero of the White Sox 2005 season?

EDIT: I guess not.

cleanwsox
10-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Here is a quote from me in the September 27th Detroit game when they had the bases loaded. Ozzie substitues Blum for Widger and promptly grounds into an inning ending double play. I owe an apology to Blum for sure.

You suck Blum, sit your ass on the bench.

eriqjaffe
10-26-2005, 02:48 PM
I don't want to sort through my posts, but I know I've said, "YOU SUCK, CREDE" on more than one occasion.

nlentz88
10-26-2005, 02:52 PM
My top three concerns for the playoffs, as posted on 6 September:

1. Podsednik's health.

2. Crede's health.

3. Hermanson's health.

Well, I guess I didn't need to worry about the first two. As for Hermanson, I won't hazard a guess about his health after just one playoff appearance.

And I found this in a thread asking for crazy predictions. It was posted on 2 August:

I predict the BoSox will finish second to the Yankees in the AL East, but will still make the playoffs as the Wild Card selection. The Sox will sweep Boston in the first round of the playoffs. Big Frank, after undergoing rigorous rehab, comes off the bench to hit a pinch-hit, game-winining HR in one of the games.

Well, other than the Big Frank stuff it looks like I was right on! Of course I knew that Frank wouldn't be able to play, but still I couldn't help but hope....

Madvora
10-26-2005, 02:54 PM
8/21 - Sox snap 7 game losing streak in NY by hitting 4 homeruns off of Randy Johnson and I say...

I feel like we just won the World Series!

I'll tell you if I was right tonight!

Unregistered
10-26-2005, 02:55 PM
I thought this would be a good time for people to look back on some good or bad quotes or predictions they may have made throughout this year.

Most likely the best ones will come from the "choking" period in September.

This one is during a 9/27 gamethread vs the Tigers

Originally Posted by Unregistered
I don't feel safe being down a run to the Tigers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvora
Make that 2 and that should be enough to beat us
This is disgusting. How are we supposed to compete against real teams in October?

I stand by that quote. It was a rough time and we weren't playing our best baseball. We ended up losing that stupid game to the ****ing TIGERS, btw. :mad: :D:

I will say, however, that I NEVER gave up on the team or said any stupid fatalistic statements like "...That's if the Sox even make the playoffs" or "We don't even deserve to win this division..."

schmitty9800
10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm not confident at all that this team will go 4-3.

From 9/23, they end up going 5-2 vs. the Twinkies and Tigers and clinching before Cleveland. Other than that I was pretty level headed on my posts here.

From last October RE: Carl Everett

Agreed. He can be an outfield sub at any position, and be a dangerous switch hitted bat off of the bench. He still has the talent to hit .280-30-90 or so (assuming 450 at bats or so, and some healthy optimism).

Eh, I was sort of right (.251-23-87 with 490 though playing few games in the outfield)

mikehuff
10-26-2005, 03:03 PM
From 5/11

Don't forget about Konerko. I don't think anybody is going to take him in a trade with a .200 average and a half of a year left. I'm curious to see how this problem will work out.

SoxFan78
10-26-2005, 03:04 PM
on 9/22 after the extra inning loss vs. Minnesota

The way they are playing right now, I don't see the Sox winning three more games the rest of the season.

I feel like that guy in "Office Space".Every Sox game I watch I feel like its the worst day in my Sox fan life right now.

on 8/17 after another extra inning loss vs. Minnesota

Has Ken Griffey Jr. ever played 3B? Can he learn?

Thank god we are at where we are today!

Unregistered
10-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Even if we go into the next series TIED with the Indians (which is impossible, obviously) we STILL have to PLAY 6 games with them. Doesn't anyone who is saying "we're done" want to wait until we've played those games before giving up?

It's like people just don't understand how standings work. If we were DOWN 3.5 or 2.5 going into the series with them, I'd be saying we're in a lot of trouble, but all we have to do is basically not get swept. If we can't manage to win 2 out of 6 games from the ****ing Indians - well, then the Sox got what they deserve. To sit home during playoff time.

Right now I'm not sure if I want them to reach the playoffs. (Sorry South Sider, had to post this one... :wink: )

BNLSox
10-26-2005, 03:05 PM
From 9/27

"Indians are going to the playoffs folks. So are we. Its just a matter of who is the WC and who is the Division winner.

NY dropping one to Toronto today made their best possible record 98 wins which would mean the best possible record of the R. Sox is 95 wins. If they both win out and split their series, one would have 97 and the other 96. Neither will win out however and 94 wins will be enough for the wildcard. Cleveland and Chicago will both have at least 95 wins"

wdelaney72
10-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I'll paraphrase something I said on multiple occasions through out the first half.

"Contreras you suck. I can't believe we're stuck with you for another season."

Whoops.

eriqjaffe
10-26-2005, 03:09 PM
On another board I referred to the Sox as "playing as if they just realized that they won't be able to get their deposit back on the tee times they booked for October."

cheeses_h_rice
10-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Posted by me in a fit of pique, 9/22:

Here is my list of guys I'd rather not see back on our roster next year, due to crappy performance and/or excessive salary requirements:

Damaso Marte
El Duque
Scott Podsednik
Aaron Rowand
Jermaine Dye
Jeff Blum
Willie Harris
Paul Konerko
Carl Everett
Yes, I want an entirely new outfield next year. Call me crazy.

:redface:

mikehuff
10-26-2005, 03:13 PM
This is from swingkid02's thread on 5/26 entitled "Keeping Konerko is Essential."

Looks like I happen to disagree with him at the time...

Let's look at Konerko's performance since he was declared "essential" on May 26th.

5/26 - 1 for 3
5/27 - 1 for 4
5/29 - 0 for 4
5/30 - 0 for 3
5/31 - 0 for 4

That's defintitely something we can't live without.

Fuller_Schettman
10-26-2005, 03:24 PM
On 8/9/05 in the "Describe your perfect ending to the season" thread, I posted this goofiness:

Game 7.

Clemens and Buehrle have matching perfect games.

Bottom of the 9th. One out.

Crede launches The Rocket's first pitch over The Patio.

Let the celebrations begin!

OEO Magglio
10-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Posted by me in a fit of pique, 9/22:

Hey cheeses, you're crazy.:tongue::supernana::supernana:

Madvora
10-26-2005, 03:39 PM
This is from 7/18 when we were waiting to hear about Ross Gload's status.

Paulie's batting .255, which is actually above his recent average, so I don't think JR and KW are opening up the wallet just yet.

Whoops, maybe they should have opened that wallet.

Rocky Soprano
10-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Where's all those Hangar quotes?

I could write a book with all his quotes and how wrong they were.

thepaulbowski
10-26-2005, 03:49 PM
I believe I posted something to the affect of "this team doesn't care & neither do I anymore." :redface:

Fungo
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
My attempt to calm the dark clouds nerves in the September 20th, "Who isn't on the edge" thread...

Right now we are battling for our playoff lives. Once we get throught this and get into the playoffs it will be a huge sigh of relief. We'll be looked at as underdogs & that is when this team thrives.

:redneck

cheeses_h_rice
10-26-2005, 03:55 PM
My attempt to calm the dark clouds nerves in the September 20th, "Who isn't on the edge" thread...

:redneck

Very prescient quote there.

:thumbsup:

Vernam
10-26-2005, 04:27 PM
OK, so I know this thread is supposed to be where we 'fess up to dumb things we said, but for the life of me, I can't find any. I'll have to pat myself on the back instead with this quote from July 23:

Apart from AJ's clutch hit, what I'll remember about this game is Jenks, especially the two curveball K's. Whether or not he ends up as our closer -- and my hunch is that he will -- he already contributes a lot by letting KW fill some other need(s) rather than deal for a late reliever.
Vernam

Madvora
10-26-2005, 04:37 PM
OK, so I know this thread is supposed to be where we 'fess up to dumb things we said, but for the life of me, I can't find any. I'll have to pat myself on the back instead with this quote from July 23:

Vernam
Nice one. That's something that I never would have thought. When it became apparent that the Sox weren't going to get any bullpen help, I was worried. I never thought that Jenks would become the main guy out of the pen, but man! I'm really looking forward to seeing him in years to come.
Shingo to Dustin to Jenks.

downstairs
10-26-2005, 04:41 PM
My argument with PHG about how that weird Kansas City loss affected our chances for the World Series.

It... ummmm.... didn't.

for me -----------> :rolleyes:

And there are probably about 100 other classics of mine out there.

mweflen
10-26-2005, 05:41 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=731562#post731562

Poor GIDPK. How wrong I was :wink: He can laugh all the way to the BANK :redneck

The Dude
10-28-2005, 12:01 AM
this is an interesting thread - Interesting Decisions
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58417&page=1&pp=15

as is this - PANIC BUTTON
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57650&highlight=panic+button

Lots of banned members and rightfully so!

Ahh to look back and reflect on only 1 month ago....:redneck

Rudy Law
10-28-2005, 12:11 AM
OK I will put it here....Scott P-O-D-S-E-D-N-I-K is overrated.....He is a below average baseball player and can not come through in the clutch when we really need him to..Like today! This team has looked PATHETIC today and pretty much has since the All- Star break..Can you say 1983....1993....2000....Anytime the Sox want to swing at those 1st pitch fastballs down the heart of the plate...That would be fine by me

I am man enough to admit that I was wrong....I was just a frustrated Sox fan....Just like everyone else.....So here I go...I WAS WRONG....WRONG...WRONG......I was never so happy to be wrong

NardiWasHere
10-28-2005, 12:22 AM
I was pulling a Brett Tomko in the offseason in respects to AJP.... I've never been so happy to do a 180 on a guy like that... This is one of them that was from a thread saying the Aj signing would not happen...

I'd take [Ben] Davis any day of the week and twice on sundays over AJ. UGH, that would have been like when Krause traded for John Starks....

I was insane!