PDA

View Full Version : The Promised Land

cheeses_h_rice
10-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Fellow WSIers, allow me to take a minute to get a little maudlin and dramatic here.

For we are about to embark upon the final stages of a trip that for many of us has lasted most or all of our lifetimes. Think about how many hundreds or thousands of days/hours we've spent obsessing about, rooting for, getting angry over, discussing, dissecting and watching the Chicago White Sox. I know in my case, for most of the last 10 years, the White Sox have been one of my main constants in my life, and less so earlier in my life, going back to my first Sox games around '72 or '73. I think of all those years of futility (and yes, let's face it -- a second place finish in the division is a failure), all those bad games I watched in the freezing cold and rain with only a few thousand or few hundred people in the stands, and then I contrast that with where we are today and I just smile at what fate the 2005 White Sox have bestowed upon us (quietly) long suffering fans.

We all know that it hasn't been easy, trendy or cool to be a White Sox fan in this city. For me, that's been a big part of the appeal of this team. Going with the crowd and buying into what the other team in town tries to sell as entertainment has never appealed to me. In the end, all the slings and arrows that have been directed at White Sox fans in general have made this World Series potential title all the sweeter. We stuck with our team, good or bad, throughout the years, and we are being rewarded for it, at long last.

Only one win away from the ultimate prize. Savor this while you can -- this particular situation will NEVER happen again in our lifetimes.

:gulp:

kittle42
10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Savor this while you can -- this particular situation will NEVER happen again in our lifetimes.

Until next year, of course.:D:

cheeses_h_rice
10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Until next year, of course.:D:
Heh. I meant the "first World Series in 88 years" situation.

hawkjt
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
No doubt this is the high point of my life as a sox fan - Freddie must finish it so I can stay on this plane til spring.

Enjoy the journey. Preserve this memory.

itsnotrequired
10-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Heh. I meant the "first World Series in 88 years" situation.

Yep, nothing like the first time. I suppose I could feel this way again in 50 years but I would rather not. I'd rather see the Sox hoisting their 20-something-th pennant in 50 years.

Vsahajpal
10-26-2005, 02:35 PM
About damn time, there's only room for one long-suffering fan here :D:

Maximo
10-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Many years ago, after a tough Sox loss, I commiserated with a couple a friends over a beer or two at a bar across the street from Comiskey Park.

A tough, but good-natured elderly lady, standing behind the bar heard me say, "You know....I'm beginning to think I'm never going to see a Sox World Championship in my lifetime."

She said "What the hell is wrong with you!. I'm a helluva lot older than you are and I surely expect to see one. Now quit cryin' in your beer and drink up!"

God Bless ya', Mrs. McCuddy!! We're almost there!

Baby Fisk
10-26-2005, 02:40 PM
As a long-distance Sox fan, thank you WSI for making it possible to share this moment -- this entire historic season -- with the best baseball fans in the world.

http://www.filmsondisc.com/images/DUVALL.JPG
"Someday this war's gonna end..."

...And baseball will never be the same again.

infohawk
10-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Fellow WSIers, allow me to take a minute to get a little maudlin and dramatic here.

For we are about to embark upon the final stages of a trip that for many of us has lasted most or all of our lifetimes. Think about how many hundreds or thousands of days/hours we've spent obsessing about, rooting for, getting angry over, discussing, dissecting and watching the Chicago White Sox. I know in my case, for most of the last 10 years, the White Sox have been one of my main constants in my life, and less so earlier in my life, going back to my first Sox games around '72 or '73. I think of all those years of futility (and yes, let's face it -- a second place finish in the division is a failure), all those bad games I watched in the freezing cold and rain with only a few thousand or few hundred people in the stands, and then I contrast that with where we are today and I just smile at what fate the 2005 White Sox have bestowed upon us (quietly) long suffering fans.

We all know that it hasn't been easy, trendy or cool to be a White Sox fan in this city. For me, that's been a big part of the appeal of this team. Going with the crowd and buying into what the other team in town tries to sell as entertainment has never appealed to me. In the end, all the slings and arrows that have been directed at White Sox fans in general have made this World Series potential title all the sweeter. We stuck with our team, good or bad, throughout the years, and we are being rewarded for it, at long last.

Only one win away from the ultimate prize. Savor this while you can -- this particular situation will NEVER happen again in our lifetimes.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. You captured my sentiments exactly! Cheeses, I have printed out your post and taped it to the door in my office with at this moment is a shrine to the Sox. Your post was "door worthy."

Ol' No. 2
10-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Someone at work today asked me "If the Sox win tonight, what are you going to do tomorrow?" And it hit me. In a very short time, this whole magical, unbelievable season, one that we've cheered and cursed and argued over, will suddenly be history. But in a larger sense, our whole experience as Sox fans will never be the same. Few of us can remember seeing the Sox in the World Series, and practically no one can remember seeing them win one. Whether you've been a fan for 20 years, 40 years or 60 years, for your whole life you've been a fan of a losing team - never once tasting the ultimate victory. But with one final "Yer out!" that will be changed forever. I can't imagine what that's going to feel like.

SOXintheBURGH
10-26-2005, 03:16 PM
One more win, four chances.

I don't know what to do, say, think, or how to act right now. Just absolute happiness. Nirvana.

MsSoxVixen22
10-26-2005, 03:20 PM

Nicely done cheeses! I was moved when I read your post and no doubt I will probably cry when the Sox win. Though I've only been a Sox fan 22 yrs (not nearly as long as my Dad and alot of you) but it feels like alot longer. I will remember this team as long as I live and will always remember what they've been thru and what I've went thru along with the team

SoxFan78
10-26-2005, 03:22 PM
In my whole life of being a Sox fan I have always been cheering for them with all of my heart to get where they are today. The Promised Land. Thats all I have known. Cheering them to get to this point right now. One game away. 27 outs away.

But what if they get their/our dream? How would I feel then? How would all of you feel? This is all they/we have wanted out of this team. And once they get there, whats next?

If they do win this last game, it will be surreal thats for sure, and I know I will be at a loss for words.

Vernam
10-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Perfectly stated, Cheeses. Walking through our office building this morning at work, a crazy thought dawned on me: Today is probably the last day of Sox fans' "old" identity. I'm extremely proud of that identity, and it's been cool to see that many of the news media recognized belatedly what's special about the Sox and their fans. But it's also a little scary to think of how we'll deal with the new identity, even though it's a nice problem to have.

I wish all past Sox fans could have survived to see this day. I get emotional thinking about them, and not just the ones related to me. Of all the sweet things about this season, my favorite is that the team is run by guys -- Kenny, Ozzie and even Jerry -- who really seem to understand what makes Sox fans tick.

Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!

Vernam

Moses_Scurry
10-26-2005, 03:29 PM
I keep thinking about all those sleepless nights when I was in junior high and high school. I would stay up in my room and listen to every game on WMAQ. You want to talk about devotion, this was in '86 - '91. Some of those teams were awful!

I also think about staying in my dorm room to watch the '93 ALCS with knots in my stomach, while my friends were partying.

My life as a Sox fan will never be the same! In my mind, Uncle Jerry has a free pass for a good 10 years or so. Ozzie has a lifetime pass. As far as I'm concerned, Ozzie should be the manager as long as he wants to be, even if they go 50-112 next year!

I will also be kinder and gentler to my cub fan friends. I won't be so venomous against them. Hell, if the cubs make the playoffs, I might even root for them (stress "MIGHT"), at least until the world series!

Sox of White
10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
I have not been around as long as many of you. But, I also have not been alive as many of you. Either way, I have been a Sox fan since birth, and baseball in general is without a doubt a mainstay in my life. I played baseball for at least half my life and all the time I rooted for the Sox. I have not been as aware of the finer points of the Sox until more recent years, and I do not remember much of past playoff experiences. As with all of us, it seems so wierd that the Sox are in the playoffs at all to me. I have to keep reminding myself this is real, and I look forward to telling children and grandchildren that I was there in 2005... no matter what happens.

Layla
10-26-2005, 03:49 PM
I wrote in a different post about how during the past few weeks, some amazing things have happened to me. Not just good, just downright incredible things that still seem like a dream.

But I know they're real. Just like the team. Those guys are real. They are composite of every White Sox fan. Never give up.

Orta 4-6-3
10-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Excellent post, Mr. Rice.

When the Sox clinched the division, I was relieved.
When they won the ALDS, I was estatic.
When they clinched the pennant, I was stunned.
When they won the World Series...I look forward to finding out in about 7 hours.

:D: :bandance:

Iwritecode
10-26-2005, 03:50 PM
About damn time, there's only room for one long-suffering fan here :D:

Actually there's at least two of you guys here. The other one just never posts...

tebman
10-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Perfectly stated, Cheeses. Walking through our office building this morning at work, a crazy thought dawned on me: Today is probably the last day of Sox fans' "old" identity. I'm extremely proud of that identity, and it's been cool to see that many of the news media recognized belatedly what's special about the Sox and their fans. But it's also a little scary to think of how we'll deal with the new identity, even though it's a nice problem to have.

I wish all past Sox fans could have survived to see this day. I get emotional thinking about them, and not just the ones related to me. Of all the sweet things about this season, my favorite is that the team is run by guys -- Kenny, Ozzie and even Jerry -- who really seem to understand what makes Sox fans tick.

Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!

Vernam
All true for me too. I've got young-adult kids who are also Sox fans and I've told them more than once that they should savor every moment of this. I was a kid in 1959 and only have a vague memory of that WS, but remember thinking that the Sox had a solid team (which they did) and that they'd be back as the champs very soon.

Well, the '60s came and went, the '70s came and went, and then '83, '93, and 2000 happened but fell short of the prize. All those years I endured the condescension of others who derided the Sox and, by extension, me.

But now we're here and it's still hard for me to believe. Roger Angell once wrote about White Sox fans when there was a burst of success that we were like Welsh pit ponies, blinking in the sun as we came up out of the mines, unfamiliar with the bright lights of success and notoriety. I know now exactly what he was talking about.

This is for my dad, who never got to see this, for Art, an old SouthSider I used to work with who never got to see this, and for all the others we've named in other threads.

Thanks, Cheeses, for the eloquent words.

WSoxFanForever
10-26-2005, 03:59 PM
I remember when I first sat down with my grandfather and became transfixed watching a White Sox Game. I was 9. I'm 40 now, and as excited as that little 9 year old. As years went by and I finished grade school school, college, got married, changed jobs, had kids...the one thing that never changed was my love for the White Sox and how excited I would get every spring training. I cheered for them (against all my Cubbie fan friends) and liked the idea that I had attached to the "other" team in Chicago. All the memories have been priceless, but this year is special. Even if our Sox go there again next year and every year after that, not one year will be as special to me as the first year, this one. I'm too long a fan to say we have it wrapped up, so I'll just say it's looking good and I'll thank the Sox for this year no matter how it turns out. As my kids say, being a Sox fan rocks!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOO SOXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!

spiffie
10-26-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm reminded of something Bill Simmons said after the Red Sox won last year. The gist of it was that the best part of them winning was that now they got to be just like normal fans, rooting from year to year without the spectre of lifelong futility hanging over them. The Sox will have good years and bad years in the future, but never again will we have to look at them and say "will we EVER see them win just once?"

1917 will be just a piece of history, not a rallying cry, not a reason to go for broke. We will all be able to know that no matter what, we saw our team we love go all the way.

Paulwny
10-26-2005, 04:05 PM
1959 was great, I wasn't overly sad that the sox lost the series, I was still elated that the rest of the country got to see and know "my sox".

Damn, I never thought that then at age 15, I would have to wait this damn long to see them return.
I want a sweep, 1 big lop-sided victory, no quarter.
Go Get'em Sox, the long wait is about to end.

BRDSR
10-26-2005, 04:06 PM
I've lived in Chicago for 15 years and been a White Sox fan for all 15. I know that doesn't sound like a long time to you, but its the most recent 75% of my life. I have very few memories dating back to a time when I wasn't rooting for the White Sox.

I remember a game in '97, in July, before the WFT. The Sox were in the race, but they needed to take some games. I was watching in the living room and the Sox played some particularly poor baseball in the late innings to squander the game. It was the type of baseball that seemed to become typical when they needed a win. After the final out I stormed out of the living room and my mom asked me what was wrong. "They blew it! They should have won that game!" It was the first time I can remember getting phyiscally upset at a White Sox loss.

Every year for 15 years(88, but I'm focusing on me here) theres been that one final game that sealed their fate. That last out that guaranteed that they wouldn't win it all. And it always made me feel a little ill. Even if I'd known it was coming since late June, it still hurt. This year, there may not be that last out.

A lot of things have come and gone over the last 15 years. Friends, girlfriends, homes, schools, hobbies. I even lost my first grandparent this past summer. But the White Sox have played 162 games every year.

If they win tonight, I will celebrate. I hear we're going to the Quad and celebrating there. But after its all over, before I go to sleep, I'll be a little sad. This has been the best White Sox season of my lifetime, and maybe alltime, and it could be over in seven hours or so. There will be an element of the bittersweet, but for 15 years, every time its ended, its only been bitter. Here's to a White Sox victory tonight!

JoeyCora28
10-26-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm reminded of something Bill Simmons said after the Red Sox won last year. The gist of it was that the best part of them winning was that now they got to be just like normal fans, rooting from year to year without the spectre of lifelong futility hanging over them. The Sox will have good years and bad years in the future, but never again will we have to look at them and say "will we EVER see them win just once?"

1917 will be just a piece of history, not a rallying cry, not a reason to go for broke. We will all be able to know that no matter what, we saw our team we love go all the way.

Amen to that, brother...

weisse Socken
10-26-2005, 04:15 PM
I've always felt that being a White Sox fan was something special. It is something that is passed from generation to generation. Being a Sox fan is not only baseball, but more often than not it's tied to our feelings to our families.

This is a moment that for the 36 years of my life has always been discussed in almost a religious sense. Like many other people I expect to be crying like a baby with joy by the end of the night.

Madvora
10-26-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm reminded of something Bill Simmons said after the Red Sox won last year. The gist of it was that the best part of them winning was that now they got to be just like normal fans, rooting from year to year without the spectre of lifelong futility hanging over them.
There's a big difference there. The Red Sox have been in first or second place for monay years and they have the financial means to keep that up year after year. They have had a ton of playoff appearance that the White Sox haven't. I'm not trying to compare misery here, but the Red Sox had no reason to whine when they have had so much post season experience in recent history. Also, they have appeared in a few World Series over the years too.

zach23
10-26-2005, 04:19 PM
It sucks that I am stuck in Pittsburgh for work this week, but I will be celebrating tonight just the same if they win. I will be home tomorrow, but I would rather they just did it tonight even though it means I am celebrating alone far from Chicago.

For over 30 years I have dreamt about what this would be like. I can't wait until it is actually reality.

wmc
10-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Yes, the promised land. I've been waiting a long time for this. I can still remember being very disappointed as a young kid when the Sox were eliminated in the last week of the 1967 season. I thought for sure they were going to the WS that year!

So let's finish this tonight!

buehrle4cy05
10-26-2005, 04:56 PM
People tell me I'm lucky to experience this as a 16-year old. The White Sox have been the focus of a lot of my energy for the last five or six years (before then, I didn't understand the game, and really didn't pay as much attention to it as I would have liked.)

To all the Sox fans who are double, triple, or quadruple my age, I salute you. This one's for you.