PDA

View Full Version : busted out a bandwagoner!

MikeLove
10-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Last night i was at a bar in Iowa City, watching the game with 2 friends. one of them is a cubs fan and the other is a HUGE sox fan. So she starts talking to the guys next to us cause one of them has an astros hat on in a bar full of sox fans and she said she respected him. Hes with a budy wearing an 83 sox hat. She asks the sox "fan" what his pick to click was.

his response "whats that?"

BINGO!!!!!!!!

we started giving him some **** and his astros fan buddy was like yeah he just bought that hat look at how clean it is, and the guy tries to play it off "i just washed it!" haha

anyone got some similar stories?

edit: oh yeah one of them asking my female friend what the infield fly rule was like she wouldnt know was priceless. it was during the sox big inning i believe and she explained it very breifly and said something like "listen i umpire i know my **** but dont talk to my right now im watching the game" god i love sox girls!

SoxSpeed22
10-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Do not cross the Quad Cities! It's much scarier here with people wearing Sox hats and "believe" wristbands. And I think the fanbase here tripled within the last week.

Johnny Mostil
10-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Last night i was at a bar in Iowa City, watching the game with 2 friends. one of them is a cubs fan and the other is a HUGE sox fan. So she starts talking to the guys next to us cause one of them has an astros hat on in a bar full of sox fans and she said she respected him. Hes with a budy wearing an 83 sox hat. She asks the sox "fan" what his pick to click was.

his response "whats that?"

BINGO!!!!!!!!

we started giving him some **** and his astros fan buddy was like yeah he just bought that hat look at how clean it is, and the guy tries to play it off "i just washed it!" haha

anyone got some similar stories?

edit: oh yeah one of them asking my female friend what the infield fly rule was like she wouldnt know was priceless. it was during the sox big inning i believe and she explained it very breifly and said something like "listen i umpire i know my **** but dont talk to my right now im watching the game" god i love sox girls!

Geez, I dunno--I didn't know what the "pick to click" was until somebody kindly explained it to me on these boards not too long ago. And I attended my first Sox game twelve years before you were born.

I also, however, learned the infield fly rule long before you were born . . .

MikeLove
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
what? who cares? you're older than me do you want a trophy

btw since you're looking at my bday does it look familiar?

TomBradley72
10-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Bandwagoners of Today = Diehard Fans of Tomorrow

Johnny Mostil
10-26-2005, 03:23 PM
what? who cares? you're older than me do you want a trophy

btw since you're looking at my bday does it look familiar?

No, no trophy, but thanks for the offer. I'm just saying that not knowing what a "pick to click" is doesn't really prove much of anything. I agree with you on the infield fly rule, though.

Yes, your b-day looks familiar. I was at the park that day, too.

antitwins13
10-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Do not cross the Quad Cities! It's much scarier here with people wearing Sox hats and "believe" wristbands. And I think the fanbase here tripled within the last week.

I agree, other than one other guy here on campus I'm the only Sox fan. Now I see people wearing Sox caps around, but that don't even know who Timo Perez is.

Soxzilla
10-26-2005, 04:04 PM
but that don't even know who Timo Perez is.

Fortunately, a lot of people don't know who Timo Perez. And let's keep it that way, eh Ozzie?:rolleyes:

SOXintheBURGH
10-26-2005, 04:11 PM
No, no trophy, but thanks for the offer. I'm just saying that not knowing what a "pick to click" is doesn't really prove much of anything. I agree with you on the infield fly rule, though.

Yes, your b-day looks familiar. I was at the park that day, too.

I think his point was that if you watch more than 6 Sox games in a season, you're bound to hear:

:hawk
"And my Pick to Click tonight is Joe Crede."

This is usually somewhere around the time they show a list of various human's Picks to Click.

Johnny Mostil
10-26-2005, 04:17 PM
I think his point was that if you watch more than 6 Sox games in a season, you're bound to hear:

:hawk
"And my Pick to Click tonight is Joe Crede."

This is usually somewhere around the time they show a list of various human's Picks to Click.

I know. But, honestly, I had the damnedest time trying to figure what it meant. I'm not saying that I'm the sharpest knife in the drawer (because I'm obviously not), just that it took me a long time to figure out what it was (first hit? first run?). Of course, if somebody *had* asked me before I learned the actual definition, I would have known enough to blurt out some name. Which I suppose just proves MikeLove's original point after all . . .

MrRoboto83
10-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Yeah the bandwagon is full here at my job, everyone was asking each other if they stayed up to watch all the innings last night. I had 8 people ask me today, and I say the same thing "I'm dissapointed that you would question me on that" Of course I stayed up and I stayed up a couple hours later celebrating!!! Most of the people here all went to bed, but yet they still are cheering for "Chicago"

Uncle_Patrick
10-26-2005, 04:41 PM

I agree. I think with a little encouragement from long time Sox fans, bandwagoners could start to see what a great team this is to root for and become real fans.

I prefer to try and educate bandwagoners instead of trying to alienate them. I'd rather hear some say "yeah, I start watching the Sox when they went to the World Series and I've been a fan ever since" instead of "Yeah, I rooted for the Sox in 2005, but their fans were jerks to me because I hadn't been rooting for them long enough."

Sox of White
10-26-2005, 04:56 PM
I agree. I think with a little encouragement from long time Sox fans, bandwagoners could start to see what a great team this is to root for and become real fans.

I prefer to try and educate bandwagoners instead of trying to alienate them. I'd rather hear some say "yeah, I start watching the Sox when they went to the World Series and I've been a fan ever since" instead of "Yeah, I rooted for the Sox in 2005, but their fans were jerks to me because I hadn't been rooting for them long enough."

Good point, I never really thought of that. I was all against all these bandwagoners for the most part. I like being under the radar as a Sox fan. But, I guess it would not hurt to have more fans. Except that I will not go to as many games to due lack of money and tickets available.

MikeLove
10-26-2005, 04:57 PM
let me clarify what i meant: In iowa city we get comcast sports chicago. If he had no idea what pick to click even was, that basically means that he hasnt watched a single whitesox game all season (maybe ever!)

Uncle_Patrick
10-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Good point, I never really thought of that. I was all against all these bandwagoners for the most part. I like being under the radar as a Sox fan. But, I guess it would not hurt to have more fans. Except that I will not go to as many games to due lack of money and tickets available.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I've got friends and out of town relatives who are suddenly the White Sox biggest fans. Its like, "where have you guys been?" and its a little annoying.

Johnny Mostil
10-26-2005, 05:12 PM
let me clarify what i meant: In iowa city we get comcast sports chicago. If he had no idea what pick to click even was, that basically means that he hasnt watched a single whitesox game all season (maybe ever!)

Well, it took me a while, but I guess I finally see your point. Maybe he'll be intrigued enough to watch games next season and learn more by watching the World Champions defend their title . . .

TomBradley72
10-26-2005, 05:18 PM

Exactly....it's alot like many of the WSI'ers.....or many loyal WSox fans....their loyalty began with a single, special season (1959, 1964, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1983, 1990, 1993, 2000,etc.)...what's wrong with a "future diehard" having their 1st season be the great year of 2005? Sure some will leave the bandwagon by the time they are playing on the northside again (5-6 months from now :cool: )...but many will stay. And that's good for the White Sox. That's how we hold onto players like Konerko, Garland, Crede, etc....with a bigger fan base.

SoxFan76
10-26-2005, 05:23 PM

:yoohoo:

That's how I became a "real" fan. I was always a Sox fan, but I only knew of McDowell, Alvarez, Hernandez, Thigpen, and of course Frank.

Then 2000 came. I looked at the standings and realized the Sox were the best team (record-wise) in the AL. I said hey, maybe I should start paying attention to "my" team. And the rest is history. You ask any of my friends who the biggest Sox fan is that they know ,they say me.

We all have to start somewhere. In 2000 I was 13 or 14 years old, so I was still young. But that year made me the fan that I am today. This year could bring forth a whole new generation of Sox fans. Embrace these bandwagon fans.

MikeLove
10-26-2005, 05:31 PM
i agree, im talking about the people that claim they were there all along though like the guy last night! its another story if they admit they just started watching the sox, i dont have a problem with that

SouthSide_HitMen
10-26-2005, 05:33 PM
I jumped on the bandwagon - in 1975 75-86 (.466).

If people became White Sox fans this year great. If they say they are longtime Sox fans but are BSing than they are full of crap and should be put down.

Honesty is the best policy.

SoxFan76
10-26-2005, 06:43 PM
I jumped on the bandwagon - in 1975 75-86 (.466).

If people became White Sox fans this year great. If they say they are longtime Sox fans but are BSing than they are full of crap and should be put down.

Honesty is the best policy.

100% agree. I fully admit that before 2000, I was just another "fan" who didn't know too much about the White Sox. However, I did know about the game just because I played my whole life.

Bandwagon fans are fine with me if they ADMIT they are bandwagon fans. Just trying to fit in with the crowd is not cool in my book.

Mr.Creosote
10-26-2005, 06:48 PM
I usually just tell them "Welcome aboard, there's a seat in the back of the bus. Sit there and hang on because it's usually an emotional ride."

I'm new to this board...only found it a couple of weeks ago. Not new to the Sox though. My first game was in 1968. I was ten years old. I'll do an intro after the WS ends tonite!

Safe Trips...Norm.