PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Valentine wins Japan Series

Fenway
10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Valentine's Marines win Japan Series

By Jim Armstrong, AP Sports Writer | October 26, 2005

OSAKA, Japan --South Korean outfielder Lee Seung-yeop drove in all three runs Wednesday, leading Bobby Valentine's Chiba Lotte Marines to a 3-2 win over the Hanshin Tigers and their first Japan Series title in 31 years.

Lotte becomes the first team to sweep a Japan Series since 2002, when the Yomiuri Giants defeated the Seibu Lions. Valentine, meanwhile, becomes the first foreign manager in the 70-year history of Japanese baseball to win a Japan Series.

"I feel wonderful," said Valentine. "We started in spring training with a dream to be here for the last game. We wanted to win the last game and we did."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/10/26/valentines_marines_win_japan_series?mode=PF

bobowhite
10-26-2005, 03:03 PM
He's also the first person to manage in both the World Series and Japan Professional Baseball Series.

Omedeto Gozaimasu Lotte ya Valentine-san !!

wdelaney72
10-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Whatever keeps him off of ESPN. Valentine was BRUTAL as an analyst.

I want Mags back
10-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Just heard on Sportscenter he says he wants to " Bring on the Sox" (yes Im still using pink even though valintine is acting like we won it already). He thinks the level in talent in Japan is equal to here now, and that the Japanse champ should play the MLB champ aftert the world series

RKMeibalane
10-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Good for him. Anything that keeps him out of MLB is fine with me.

Nellie_Fox
10-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Just heard on Sportscenter he says he wants to " Bring on the Sox" I just posted in another thread that the Sox should challenge the Chiba Lotte Marines; I didn't know Valentine said this. I know it won't happen, but I'm ready for some more baseball, and watching the Sox beat up on somebody else.

voodoochile
10-27-2005, 03:07 AM
I just posted in another thread that the Sox should challenge the Chiba Lotte Marines; I didn't know Valentine said this. I know it won't happen, but I'm ready for some more baseball, and watching the Sox beat up on somebody else.

Me 2, Nellie...'

Me two...:D:

Jerko
10-27-2005, 03:26 AM
Would they fall for THIS in Japan????

http://www.augustasports.com/images/headlines/061199/mets_valentineLR.jpg

The old "fake stache" trick.

Banix12
10-27-2005, 03:41 AM

You know, it's gags like that that make me wish he still managed over here. He's a goofball and sometimes a complete doufus but he sure can be fun.

86metsghost
10-27-2005, 05:38 AM

LOL, as a Mets fan, I cannot tell you how much I miss this man. He was the fall guy for that former idiot GM of ours, Steve Phillips, who brought in Mo Vaughn and Alomar. Bobby lead the Mets to the post season 2 years in a row for the 1st time in Mets history in 99 and 00, and he did it with a team that had NO BUSINESS even being there. In 2000 we wouldve pulled it off against the hated Yankees if not for the Choker Benitez in the 9th of game 1, and Timo Perez (sorry guys, LOL) and his idiotic base running brain fart in game 1. But, such is life and I'm looking foward to 06. Anyway I'm so happy for Valentine, he was one of the best managers in the game, bar none. A real character who wore his emotions on his sleeve, and in a way the exact opposite of Joe Torre, except for the great managing skills. Here's to you Bobby V., we miss you in Ny.

bobowhite
10-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I just posted in another thread that the Sox should challenge the Chiba Lotte Marines; I didn't know Valentine said this. I know it won't happen, but I'm ready for some more baseball, and watching the Sox beat up on somebody else.

While I doubt the two teams could get together now, it is not unheard of for Japanese teams to visit spring training and play ST games against American teams. I would love to see the White Sox host the Chiba Lotte Marines for a few games this coming spring training. Not that true bragging rights would be up, but it'd be fun to see. Heck, I might even join my parents during their annual trek out to Tuscon to see it.

Anyone else think this it would be a good idea for the Sox to invite the Marines to share their camp (or somewhere else in AZ)? The Marines would have to ditch their uniforms though (pink and black does not a major leaguer make.)

Stroker Ace
10-27-2005, 01:59 PM
LOL, as a Mets fan, I cannot tell you how much I miss this man. He was the fall guy for that former idiot GM of ours, Steve Phillips, who brought in Mo Vaughn and Alomar. Bobby lead the Mets to the post season 2 years in a row for the 1st time in Mets history in 99 and 00, and he did it with a team that had NO BUSINESS even being there. In 2000 we wouldve pulled it off against the hated Yankees if not for the Choker Benitez in the 9th of game 1, and Timo Perez (sorry guys, LOL) and his idiotic base running brain fart in game 1. But, such is life and I'm looking foward to 06. Anyway I'm so happy for Valentine, he was one of the best managers in the game, bar none. A real character who wore his emotions on his sleeve, and in a way the exact opposite of Joe Torre, except for the great managing skills. Here's to you Bobby V., we miss you in Ny.Same feelings here. Bobby got all the heat for Phillips' screw-ups. Congrats on winning the Japan Series Bobby V.:gulp:

antitwins13
10-30-2005, 07:16 PM
I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this. Bobby Valentine actually thinks that his team can beat the Sox and even went so far as to issue a challenge.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=2205331

JUribe1989
10-30-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm always up for a challenge........

But seriously, put down the pipe Bobby. Your decision making is as good as your ESPN analysis was.

HotelWhiteSox
10-30-2005, 07:58 PM
LMAO, he would claim himself successful or labeled as World Champions if they could avoid a sweep?

"I can tell you the level of play is equal," Valentine said. "[The Marines] are as good as any team I've ever managed. I'd put them up against the winner of the World Series and I know we'd win at least a couple of games."

Don't waste your time here, the Sox have played more than any AL team, it's time to rest. Plus there's already that new international crap during Spring Training.