PDA

View Full Version : Mystery (H)

Sox of White
10-26-2005, 12:39 PM
What does that (H) mean for pitching stats. It is not hits, there is a separate H for that. Politte got the (H) last night if you look at the game summary. He also got an (H) on sunday so now he has two this series. My friend and I have been trying to figure this out.

epgalsoxfan
H(hold)

SoxFan76
A hold? It's a stat for setup men mostly, at least I think so...

halfpricemonday
10-26-2005, 12:40 PM
It's a Hold, which is awarded to relievers who protect a lead.

From MLB.com:

The hold is not an official statistic, but it was created as a way to credit middle relief pitchers for a job well done. Starting pitchers get wins, and closers -- the relief pitchers who come in at the end of the game -- get saves, but the guys who pitch in between the two rarely get either statistic. So what's the most important thing one of these middle relievers can do? "Hold" a lead. If a reliever comes into a game to protect a lead, gets at least one out and leaves without giving up that lead, he gets a hold. But you can't get a save and a hold at the same time

Sox of White
10-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Hold eh? What are the requirements to get one of those? Just not give up the lead?

Jjav829
10-26-2005, 12:41 PM
What does that (H) mean for pitching stats. It is not hits, there is a separate H for that. Politte got the (H) last night if you look at the game summary. He also got an (H) on sunday so now he has two this series. My friend and I have been trying to figure this out.

It's a "hold." Holds are earned by middle relievers when they enter the game in a save situation and preserve the lead.

Sox of White
10-26-2005, 12:42 PM
I see, makes sense. Thanks guys.