PDA

View Full Version : This Next Win is for you...

The Wall
10-26-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm a 5 year old Sox fan...in the sense that I've known the Sox and been following them only since August 2000. Back at that time, I had came over to Chicago from my home country for grad school. Over the next couple of months, first on a small 13-inch black and white TV and then a 20-inch color TV donated by our land lord, I watched a team that had some sort of number being counted backwards. Each day, almost every newscast showed where that number was. 10, 9, 8, 7... they counted down. And then they said it had reached zero and the White Sox had won. The team had to play again for more glory. Some reporters (Corey McPherrin on Fox) were excited. Some were not (the ones on WGN).

A weekend later, they stopped talking about the Sox. And then I started learning about the game and the team. I was following the Sox from the beginning of the 2001 season. In late May, Jerry Manuel said his team will be 36-36 when the team was reeling at 14-29. To me, this didn't sound like bravado but a coach trying to win. In August, I had the chance to go see the Sox take on Cleveland Indians. First Sox hitter - Ray Durham (dont remember the pitcher). 2nd or 3rd pitch - gone over the bullpen bar in right field. Sox built an 8-0 lead but Indians came back and cut it to 4 or so. Sox scored 3 more and the final was 11-8, a White Sox winner. But they were not going to hang onto their division title. Cleveland and then Minnesota got to raise the flags in those years as I became more and more endeared by the play of the Sox. GM Kenny Williams tried everything in those years to try and field the right combination to win. As I got excited about 2003 with the team in first and just days left in the season, I felt uneasy. After 2 straight wins, Sox lost 2 straight to Twins and I met a veteran on the CTA bus after the 2nd straight loss at home to the Twins. He said he had been following the Sox all his life and he thought the loss the previous night was the worst day of his life. This man had fought in Vietnam, lost a leg and was ailing from several other injuries and health problems. Here he was, sitting next to a stranger, telling that the previous night's loss by the Sox was more painful. To me, that man epitomized what it is to be a Sox fan. True, loyal, hopeful and die-hard.

When Ozzie Guillen came on board, people said it was a bad move. Many here still dont think much of him. He has led the team to this point. You cannot argue with his success. I had the opportunity to talk to him at a ballgame his son was playing in. Guillen saw me wearing a Sox hat and sitting alone on a bench and came over. He said it felt good to see Sox fans at that game. He told me that 2005 will be very different from the past years and said 'Keep faith'. I did.

As a international grad student, you dont earn much and dont have the chance to make much (legally anyways). I somehow saved enough to go to Opening day and a few others. At opening day, I realized how different this year will be. I've only been wondering for the past 4 seasons about what it would be like to win the prize. I know many of you have been doing that for longer. Analyzing, dissecting every move; wanting, dreaming, hoping and praying for a day like today - when we have the chance. A chance that probably hasn't been in the lifetime of anyone on this board (I guess).

Well folks, it is here. This next Sox win is for the grittiest, greatest, loyal and deserving die-hard fans of White Sox.

BNLSox
10-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Great piece of writing. I've only been a fan for 15 years and still I feel a lifetime of frustration melting away.

Iwritecode
10-26-2005, 12:38 PM
:threadrules:

The Wall
10-26-2005, 06:35 PM
:threadrules:

Thanks. I want other life long fans to add their note if they can.

miker
10-26-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm a 5 year old Sox fan...
Wow, you write awfully well for a 5-year old! :D:

Just kidding. As for the White Sox and their fans, you understand. Enjoy this time.

MarySwiss
10-26-2005, 06:48 PM
I've been a fan since the 50s and I'm floating on air right now. Thanks! :smile:

Coolpapa
10-26-2005, 06:53 PM
30 years here, words can't describe the joy. After years of sleeping managers, bad signings, and yuppie bs, we are almost there. I wish my old man was here too. My son is so I'll be the old man now.

Paulwny
10-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Kinda funny, been a fan for 50 yrs, I want the series over tonight, but I don't want the ride to end.

SOXfnNlansing
10-26-2005, 06:57 PM
We're one win away and I still can't believe we're in the WS

WinOrDyeTrying
10-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Iv been a fan since '86. I was born a Sox fan.

SoxFan76
10-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I've been a fan for 19, a "fan" for 5. I will admit that I am blessed. This one goes out to all you folks who have waited 25, 30, 50, 60 years for this.