PDA

View Full Version : How about Marte?!

asindc
10-26-2005, 11:22 AM
OK, since no one else has pointed it out yet, we must give props to Damaso. He really earned his keep last night and is off the hook for ALDS game 3 debacle. Now he doesn't have to feel like he owes El Duque a cut of his World Series spoils if we go on to finish the job.

mweflen
10-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Yes. I hope people get off his back now. I can't believe he was booed in the ALCS intros. Everyone has their issues and their problems. But Damaso had been a rock for 2 seasons, and he deserves our support and hopeful wishes for a speedy return to form. Last night was a pretty good start.

BNLSox
10-26-2005, 11:25 AM
AMEN! Marte was just another cog in the White Sox machine making Ozzie continue to look Brilliant! I hope Sox fans don't boo him if he pitches at the cell in the future.

Good outtings by everyone last night, even you Jon. Even if we had Cy Young out there yesterday Houston would have gotten an early lead. They've got a lot of fire. We've just been amazing at responding immediately to any swing in momentum and have thus extinguished that fire.

MushMouth
That was an OUSTANDING outting by Marte. Despite the glitches in the bottom of the 14th, I don't think any of us expect him to come through like he did.

Hell, everyone pitched well.

cleanwsox
Yes. I hope people get off his back now. I can't believe he was booed in the ALCS intros. Everyone has their issues and their problems. But Damaso had been a rock for 2 seasons, and he deserves our support and hopeful wishes for a speedy return to form. Last night was a pretty good start.

He got booed? Wow, that is pretty bad. As much as you dislike a player, booing him does nothing. He has given us a lot to cheer for over the past 3 years and he deserves some credit for that. Here's to the comeback of Damaso to 03-04 form! :gulp:

krohnjw
10-26-2005, 11:26 AM
I was happy to see both Damaso and Vizcaino come through last night. I was worried Viz might serve up some meatballs but he did pretty well. Good to see those guys get some work and do well :bandance:

wdelaney72
10-26-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't know what you guys were watching, but I saw something a lot different. Marte walked 2 batters in 1.2 innings of work. Whle I fully agree he looked BETTER than he did down the stretch, I'd hardly call that a dominating performance

mcfish
10-26-2005, 11:28 AM
AMEN! Marte was just another cog in the White Sox machine making Ozzie continue to look Brilliant! I hope Sox fans don't boo him if he pitches at the cell in the future.Brilliant? No. Down to his last option? Yes.

I'm extremely happy it worked out, but don't act like this was all because of Ozzie's genius.

mweflen
10-26-2005, 11:28 AM
I don't know what you guys were watching, but I saw something a lot different. Marte walked 2 batters in 1.2 innings of work. Whle I fully agree he looked BETTER than he did down the stretch, I'd hardly call that a dominating performance

you're right, he wasn't dominating, but neither were any of our other bullpen pitchers (except Beuhrle? ;) )

It was certainly an improvement over hitting two consecutive lefties, though...

Iron Dragon
10-26-2005, 11:29 AM
I was definitely worried a couple times last night, exactly when Vizcaino and Marte came in. But, they both did well, and we came through. 1 win away!

itsnotrequired
10-26-2005, 11:30 AM
What I really like about the whole situation is that players are stepping up where others have "failed". Did any of us honostly believe that players like Marte and Blum would be the heroes for Game 3? Amazing. Simply an amazing team...

kevingrt
10-26-2005, 11:31 AM
With Damaso pitching that well last night there is no way we don't win this series. Unbelieveable performance by every pitcher last year, El Duque, Damaso, Clif, Neal, everyone, Jenks, Hermy.

Man we should just resign Damaso now this offseason. Get this whole team back.

scottjanssens
10-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Yes! Way to walk only one batter, Marte!

I'm still booing him when he gets off the plane.

Ol' No. 2
10-26-2005, 11:37 AM
One win away from winning the World Series and people are whining about Marte.:rolleyes: Some things never change.

rocky biddle
10-26-2005, 11:38 AM
If anyone was watching the Doppler radar last night, you would've noticed the darkest of dark clouds hovering over my house when Marte got the call. I almost turned the game off because I was positive he was gonna blow it and I didn't want to watch it happen. He didn't pitch that well, but he got the job done. Hopefully that's enough to restore his confidence for next year.

asindc
10-26-2005, 11:42 AM
One win away from winning the World Series and people are whining about Marte.:rolleyes: Some things never change.

Couldn't have said it better myself. He did what we want him to do in that situation, which is keep the Astros from scoring long enough to give our guys a chance to win it. Hell, if you're going to boo him even after he does well, what's the point?:rolleyes:

wdelaney72
10-26-2005, 11:58 AM

Don't mistake my post with whining. Marte did a decent job and I'm thrilled he held Houston scoreless. I was referring to the posts which suggest they should start constructing a new wing for Damaso in Cooperstown.

"That was an OUSTANDING outting by Marte"
"AMEN! Marte was just another cog in the White Sox machine"

It's almost like Mike Patrick is posting on this site.

hsnterprize
10-26-2005, 12:01 PM
I admit I was ready to concede this game when I saw Marte come in. I just figured since he was the last reliever available, let the chips fall where they may. Thankfully, he got the hitters out, and we all know what happened next.

WSoxFanForever
10-26-2005, 12:06 PM
I also thought the game was over when Marte came in, but he proved me wrong and I've never been so happy to be wrong. He and Viz helped us last night and I'm grateful.

I never boo a member of the White Sox, no matter what.

mdep524
10-26-2005, 12:11 PM
I was more impressed with Vizcaino, who looked sharp last night. Lots of movement and changing speeds. I hope this is the Viz we get next year! Looking back, he had been fairly solid down the stretch this season, so its not a stretch to say he could be a valuable bullpen cog in '06.

Marte... well, he got the job done. After all the flack he got, he earns a win in Game 3 of the World Series, and you could tell he wanted to finish that puppy off (and he would have if not for Uribe's error). Plus, for some reason I bursted out laughing when I saw him swinging a bat in the on deck circle when Pods batted in the 14th. I just can't imagine Damaso Marte in the batters box!

In all I'm happy for him, though I don't think this changes anything for '06.

DaleJRFan
10-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Marte was throwing serious GASSSS lastnight. 94-97... and a wicked hook. I am very happy for him, to get that monkey off of his back.

Vizcaino was mixing it up very well. I don't recall seeing two consecutive fastballs. Threw a good slider and change. Widger called great frames while he was in there... Widger deserves a lot of credit, both for the pitches he called (I assume Cooper called some too) and the way he managed to keep the ball from going to the screen on some of El Duque's pitches.

All in all a great performance by the Sox pitchers. Garland settled down after the 3rd inning and was on cruise control.

What a game! :gulp:

Tekijawa
10-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Good Job Damaso! I ripped you many times this season but you came up BIG last night!

Who would have thought that Damaso would have More World Series Wins this year than Pettit, Clemens, and Oswalt Combined!

Don't forget about Buehrle with More WS Saves than the Great Brad Lidge!

ChicagoHoosier
10-26-2005, 01:20 PM
I thought they all looked good and bad at the same time. All relievers got the job done, even the 8th inning double was "just baseball" and not a bad job by our guy. We walked a lot of guys and gave them every chance to win, yet at the end, they all did the job. Marte made me EXTREMELY nervous, but getting that first batter in the 14th on three pitches really set the tone to close out the game, regardless of the runners he let on after that.

I love this bullpen.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-26-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't agree with booing your own players. I hope White Sox fans lay off in 2006.

I am glad Marte delivered in the clutch. Ozzie couldn't use him at home during the playoffs due to the fan reaction. Marte has had several bad outings and I am sure nobody is more disappointed about it then he was. I hope he gets a big roar of approval from the crowd at Grant Park and on Opening Day 2006!!!

hawkjt
10-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Clearly Damaso still is struggling with Leftys but I was pretty comfortable when he went against the rightys. The Electric Damaso was back and you do not want him going somewhere else to become dominant next year when he is bouyed by this outing all winter. With Cotts and Damaso we would just be nails next year along with Bobby. Young, power bullpen.

Go Sox!

FarWestChicago
10-26-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't know what you guys were watching, but I saw something a lot different. Marte walked 2 batters in 1.2 innings of work. Whle I fully agree he looked BETTER than he did down the stretch, I'd hardly call that a dominating performance:darkclouds:

hold2dibber
10-26-2005, 02:23 PM

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Don't show up at the airport if you're going to boo.

wdelaney72
10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
:darkclouds:

Reading is a skill. I'm thrilled with Marte's performance, I just refuse to call walking 2 batters in 1.2 innings "dominating".
:whatever:

PaulDrake
10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't know what you guys were watching, but I saw something a lot different. Marte walked 2 batters in 1.2 innings of work. Whle I fully agree he looked BETTER than he did down the stretch, I'd hardly call that a dominating performance Sox pitchers were ever so careful trying not to deliver a pitch that would turn out to be the game winning home run. Hence all the walks. Damaso did fine. He would have been out of the inning if not for Uribe's error. I've been as big a critic of Marte as anybody, but he did fine. From now on Ozzie can do whatever the hell he wants as far as I'm concerned.

JorgeFabregas
10-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Marte was great. He was getting squeezed...the ump wasn't calling his best pitch, a fastball the knees to right-handers, a strike. That's one of the reasons for the walks.

mweflen
10-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Marte was great. He was getting squeezed...the ump wasn't calling his best pitch, a fastball the knees to right-handers, a strike. That's one of the reasons for the walks.

This is a good point - I've always felt that umps just don't recognize Marte's pitches. The sweeper across the knees comes from such an angle that the umps consistently call it outside, even when it's over the plate.

Not that last night's ump was anything close to a model of consistency...

FarWestChicago
10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Reading is a skill. I'm thrilled with Marte's performance, I just refuse to call walking 2 batters in 1.2 innings "dominating".
:whatever:Context is also a skill. You've been a Dark Cloud for a long time. :rolleyes:

HotelWhiteSox
10-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Don't forget Viz, he got a bad rap for that extra inning Cleveland game during the opening week of the year (in which he also got an inflated ERA for most of the year) where there was no one left in the bullpen, he's been good for most of the season, and also was important last night

wdelaney72
10-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Context is also a skill. You've been a Dark Cloud for a long time. :rolleyes:

I admit that I went through a phase of concern during the time Cleveland got hot, but that was only becuase our pitching staff experienced some struggles finding the strike zone. If you want to call it being that being a dark cloud, I'll put my head down in shame and concede, but you can't say that in this situation.

spiffie
10-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Last night was a big night all of our whipping boys:

Marte- keeps us alive with 2 innings of solid work
Viz- Scoreless inning.
Blum- Our big deadline deal kicks the teal away from that statement.
Duque- Who wanted him over BMac for the playoffs?
Crede- My personal target for seemingly years coming up big again...I'm sorry I ever doubted you Joe.

Muopsies
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Marte was great. I was crapping my proverbial pants and just when you think Marte can'd do anything worse, he goes and does something like this and.................TOTALLY REDEEMS HIMSELF!

hose
10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Marte came through when it counted in the biggest show case MLB has to offer.

Domeshot17
10-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by scottjanssens

WoW. If you boo'd anyone off the plane, after season this team has had, I hope you stand next to the guy who beat up Biggio's wife. Bottom line is this, In a crucial game, that either meant 3-0 or 2-1, Marte came in and threw 1 2/3 scoreless, and it should have been 2 if Uribe didnt leave his defensive skills back in Chicago. Marte did a great job. Hell, on your theory

Geoff Blum hit like the mendoza line this year, forget his game winning home run, LETS BOO HIM OFF THE PLANE.

Getting behind your team means getting behind everyone on it.

kitekrazy
10-26-2005, 05:49 PM
I thought this would what Ozzie would use Marte for. The bullpen looked like no one knew where the strike zone was last night. I figured if Marte lost this game I couldn't hold it against him because the Sox deserved to lose this game.
I dosed off between the 11th and Marte's last pitch. Looking at the score and him on the mound I didn't know whether I was having a nightmare and thought it was a dream after hearing about Blums HR.

After winning that game besides a so-so effort by the pen, the only way the Sox lose this if they forfeit the next 4 games. Somehow even trying that I still think they would win.

I just don't think this team can lose right now. If Houston score 18 the Sox would score 19. Great for Marte as well.

A. Cavatica
10-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Who here thinks Marte will be back next year? Not me -- Ozzie and (especially) KW don't seem to forgive and forget that easily.

I'm really happy with Marte's performance last night, for three reasons. First, we won. Second, it's nice to see a player (especially one like Marte, who has been great for us in the past) fight his way out of a slump. And third, he increased his trade value.

wassagstdu
10-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Red Sox fans did themselves proud by cheering Tony Grafanino (I understand the team had plans to show their support if he had been booed). Booing Marte was not Sox fans' finest hour.

After Game 3 there are no members of this team who are not members of this team. Not one.