PDA

View Full Version : "Stand Up! Stand Up! Get On Your Feet!"

mweflen
10-26-2005, 11:16 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/worldseries/cst-nws-brown26.html

This article is about those annoying fans who try to badger those around them into standing up.

You know what, I stand up when situations dictate. I am a very lively and engaged fan. But you know what else, a 1-1 count with 1 out in the 7th is not one of those situations, when it's 38 degrees and my seat is getting drenched because my fanny's not in it.

I hate being ordered around. I hate when some dingleberry fan yowls for an hour "get your lazy asses up."

I paid for my ticket, and I've gone to, let's see (gets out wallet schedule) 37 games this year. I'll sit down if I please, and I won't feel even a nanosecond of "guilt" over being "lazy and uninterested."

On the other hand...
I do think it sucks that they got kicked out of game 2. That's some serious scratch to be kicked out inthe 3rd inning. Maybe security could have just taken them to a handicapped section and made them stand there?

skottyj242
10-26-2005, 11:19 AM
This is funny because I was just talking to a coworker about this.

GoGoGoGo
10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Do you believe, for a second, that they were kicked out of the game pureply for standing up? I bet they were asked to sit multiple times, then got a little feisty with security. I can't imagine security wouldn't have just said, go stand on the concourse if you want to stand so much...

mweflen
10-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Do you believe, for a second, that they were kicked out of the game pureply for standing up? I bet they were asked to sit multiple times, then got a little feisty with security. I can't imagine security wouldn't have just said, go stand on the concourse if you want to stand so much...

Yes, I would imagine a fair amount of "pre drinking" was involved in this incident...

SOXFAN_in_WI
10-26-2005, 11:26 AM
88 YEARS!!! 8 8 Y E A R S ! ! ! For those of us not fortune or wealthy enough to go to a series game, I have a tough time feeling sympathy for ya. I was at home and I was standing during 1-1 counts in the 7th. I stood for those who are no longer with us and can not stand. For those who no longer have a voice and waited all those years. And we at home depended on you there to be our voice. This was once in a lifetime perhaps. Literally once in a lifetime. 88 YEARS!!!

MillerSoxFan
10-26-2005, 11:28 AM
I sat behind a guy like that at ALCS game 1. It was an interesting study in the stages of drunkenness. In the beginning he was good-natured, joking around and not bothering anyone. As the game went on and the beer flowed he got more and more belligerent, shouting at everyone to stand up and make noise. I admired his enthusiasm, but he got way out of hand and distracted everyone from the game (the only loss in the postseason). By the 7th inning he was leaning on his buddy, and in the "I love you man" stage of intoxication. His buddies kept apologizing to us for his behavior. They finally stumbled off into the night.

My question is, you get a chance to go to a Sox playoff game, why drink yourself to oblivion?

itsnotrequired
88 YEARS!!! 8 8 Y E A R S ! ! ! For those of us not fortune or wealthy enough to go to a series game, I have a tough time feeling sympathy for ya. I was at home and I was standing during 1-1 counts in the 7th. I stood for those who are no longer with us and can not stand. For those who no longer have a voice and waited all those years. And we at home depended on you there to be our voice. This was once in a lifetime perhaps. Literally once in a lifetime. 88 YEARS!!!

I have to admit that I was doing a fair bit of pacing during the last few innings last night. No sitting here!

That being said, people should be able to sit if they want.

voodoochile
He tried to post this here yesterday. I deleted it. I thought it wasn't very newsworthy. I mean if you ignore security and get booted, tough noogies...

downstairs
10-26-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm the same way... I tend to be nervous when watching games, and I get quiet.

Just have respect people. I don't get angry when people go nuts and stand on every pitch. But if someone is sitting behind you, move over, or into the asile, or whatever.

If you're going to stand the whole game, go into the concourse. You can see fine there.

mweflen
10-26-2005, 11:30 AM
He tried to post this here yesterday. I deleted it. I thought it wasn't very newsworthy. I mean if you ignore security and get booted, tough noogies...

Who tried to post this before? Not me... I just read it on the ST website...

10-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Stand up when the situation dictates, if you want to stand all game, go to the concourse...I know the situation dictates more so in the WS and I understand, if it's a tight momnet and the guy in front of stands up, so be it, he paid good money, but if he stands in the first inning and never sits down again, then that annoying!

Jerko
10-26-2005, 11:42 AM

I think he meant one of the attention whores from the article you posted. Probably came on here with his "poor me, I'm Mr. Innocent story". You know what? You paid "6000 dollars" to see a World Series game? Then sit the **** down when security tells you to. You're the moron that risked getting tossed. Some people physically CAN'T stand for long periods of time, or get up and down every 30 seconds at moments YOU deem important.

voodoochile
10-26-2005, 12:09 PM

The guy who wrote the letter. He registered, but set off alarm bells with me, so I put him in a group where we monitor their posts before letting them through. He posted the contents of his letter in three different threads. I deleted them all.

Leave it to the media to go ahead and run that piece of crap. ANything to tear down the Sox...

Dan Mega
10-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Whats wrong with someone standing up for the game the whole time? Are there official rules against it? Trying to get others to stand is one thing but doing it on your own accord is another. Why should someone have to sit down because someone behind them doesn't want to stand? Seriously, are we all Michigan football fans here or something? :rolleyes:

Thats my 2 cents.

antitwins13
10-26-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't think standing up is so annoying if it's at the right times, and I don't think the Chevy pride crew is the right time.

Garland_IS_God
10-26-2005, 01:12 PM
I hate being ordered around. I hate when some dingleberry fan yowls for an hour "get your lazy asses up."

I hate to admit it but I am one of those guys who yells "on your feet!!" I do it only to help in certain situations.

cheeses_h_rice
10-26-2005, 01:23 PM
People need to pick and choose their "stand up!" moments more carefully, IMO. Nothing more annoying than being yelled at to stand up for 2 hours of a 3-hour game. I'm not an idiot, and I recognize what moments are important.

spiffie
10-26-2005, 01:33 PM
I tend to think that postseason games the crowd should be more animated than at a regular season game. I hate when I see our pitcher get to two strikes on a hitter and the crowd just sits there. Or there's bases loaded and the crowd is quiet. I guess I tend to stand a bit more than average, but really it depends on the game.

But then I'd rather someone standing because of the game than getting up every inning for yet another beer run.

mweflen
10-26-2005, 06:27 PM
It's a gray area. Yes, I want to see people into the games. As I said, I stand up when I think situations dictate (3rd out of a tough inning, bases loaded, 2 men down, go ahead run at the plate, etc.).

What irks me is that some drunkard presumes to judge me because I'm sitting down. As someone stated before, what if I actually can't stand? (Did you see Barbara Bush going up and down like a yo-yo last night? I sure didn't). What if my judgment of a stand-up moment is different than yours? What if I've been to 8 times as many games as you, and each "stand up moment" for you is just run of the mill for me?

I haven't done it yet, but maybe when someone yells "Stand up!" I'll yell back "be polite!"

Dancin' Homer
10-27-2005, 02:33 AM
I don't think standing up is so annoying if it's at the right times, and I don't think the Chevy pride crew is the right time.

:rolling: best thing you ever wrote. I HATE seeing adults going ape over some kids tossing 6 medium tshirts/advertisements into a crowd of 25000+