PDA

View Full Version : SI throws chair back at Phil Garner

Deuce
10-26-2005, 08:57 AM
The Houston Astros (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/hou/) played their first home World Series game in their existence, grinded through the most time-consuming game in World Series history, exhausted their bullpen, tied the game in the eighth inning when they trailed by a run with nobody on base and were down to their final four outs, used everybody on the bench except their backup catcher, and had their starting pitcher for tonight's game throwing hard in the bullpen at a quarter after one in the morning.

And what does their manager, Phil Garner, do in the first moments after the White Sox punched them in the gut by beating them in the 14th inning of Game 3, 7-5.

He rips his team.
Link to Article (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ag0jDF3nXpelEWkTLwIXXck5nYcB?slug=cnnsi-notmyfault&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns)

Deuce

WVSoxFan
10-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Hard to win when your manager jumps off the bandwagon.

gobears1987
10-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Sort of like Daley throwing friends under the bus when a scandal hits.

downstairs
10-26-2005, 09:30 AM
I don't know.... I think there is nothing wrong with a manager calling it like it is.

They played terrible, we played terrible... but we gutted it out.

I don't think Garner is jumping off any bandwagon. He's just being honest.

Many times Ozzie called out this team for playing terrible during the year. They were. And he was right.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-26-2005, 09:39 AM
At least Garner finally got to this point to rip into a World Series performance by one of "his" teams.
I'm sure he'd be much calmer back in Milwaukee or Detroit at this stage.

Baby Fisk
10-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Funny thing is, the media has been waiting all season for Ozzie to have the kind of hotheaded, chair hurling meltdown that Garner had last night. Ozzie has never lost his cool like that. He continues to confound. That is his genius.

ja1022
10-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Many times Ozzie called out this team for playing terrible during the year. They were. And he was right.

Big difference between "during the year" and after you go down 3 to zip in the World Series. When Ozzie called his guys out he usually added something to the effect of "...but you can blaa me cuz I dee manager a des keeds..." Garner is a turd.

WVSoxFan
10-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Calling out your players after they played 14 innings, and placing none of the blame on yourself, isn't a good way to inspire a team facing elimination.

mjharrison72
10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Big difference between "during the year" and after you go down 3 to zip in the World Series.
Exactly. Garner has basically rendered his team "done."

Orta 4-6-3
10-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Poor Yosemite Sam.:D:

EastCoastSoxFan
10-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Poor Yosemite Sam.:D:
OOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
YA MANGY VARMINT!!!!!

wdelaney72
10-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Great article. Couldn't agree more.

WSoxFanForever
10-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Great article. I actually respect the Astros players and like the Astros, except under these circumstances, and I don't think a classy bunch of players who did their best deserved that from their manager. 3-0 down in the WS is time to say, "Even if it's never been done before, I love and trust these guys and we can make it happen." What he said was demoralizing. Then, again, this is Phil Garner....

Vernam
10-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Funny thing is, the media has been waiting all season for Ozzie to have the kind of hotheaded, chair hurling meltdown that Garner had last night. Ozzie has never lost his cool like that. He continues to confound. That is his genius.EXACTLY. Just imagine how the media would have treated such an outburst by Ozzie. Garner tosses a stool, and he's just a firey guy. If Ozzie did it, the story would be: "See, we knew that Venezuelan was crazy."

Garner is a loser manager from a loser team in a loser town in a loser division in a loser league.

Vernam

1951Campbell
10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Great article. Couldn't agree more.

God, Verducci tore him a new one--hell, two or three new ones. And it's all true.

If I were an Astros fan, I would be beyond anger at this point.

palehozenychicty
10-26-2005, 01:53 PM
somebody finally realizes the putz that garner is as a manager.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tom_verducci/10/26/astros.game3/index.html

Risk
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Garner is such a tool. His players fought their tails off for 14 damn innings and he talks as if he is abadoning them. And I'm sorry, I don't buy that Garner is using some kind of psychological ploy to motivate his players, especially after seeing him go bat**** crazy last night after Blum's HR.

Risk

Ol' No. 2
10-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Here's one Verducci forgot:

Where was the manager before the game when the players were yammering about the roof instead of focusing on the game at hand? The manager was also yammering about the roof.

Flight #24
10-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Here's one Verducci forgot:

Where was the manager before the game when the players were yammering about the roof instead of focusing on the game at hand? The manager was also yammering about the roof.
http://www.dustybaker.com/images/DustyHomeUni%20small.jpg
'C'mon man...their announcers weren't the problem, so it HAD to be the roof"