PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice...

Fuller_Schettman
10-26-2005, 05:49 AM
that after Jason Lane's disputed HR leading off the bottom of the 4th, the Astros only hit the rest of the night was Lane's game tying double off Hermanson in the 8th!

Granted there were a TON of walks, but 1 hit over 11 innings!!!!

AMAZING!!

MarkZ35
10-26-2005, 08:38 AM
You gotta love how the disputed call that doesnt go the Sox way is looked at for about 2 maybe 3 minutes while any call that went there way was look at the entire rest of the game and is put on the front page of the papers.

downstairs
10-26-2005, 08:44 AM
We won the game, everyone played well beyond the bad call, etc. So all is good. No complaints. Heck, I wasn't even complaining that much when Fox finally showed the replay that proved the ball was not a homer.

However....

Why didn't Rowand (after throwing the ball back in) start shouting that it wasn't a home run?

Why didn't Guillen argue it?

No one seemed to care, and Rowand *had* to know it wasn't a home run... he saw it hit the wall from a couple of yards out.

No big deal... I am just curious if its been addressed by them....

Hokiesox
10-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Forget instant replay, I thought they call just adds to the "controversy" over that stupid ballpark. It has to be one of the worst in MLB. Who draws a yellow line all over the outfield with a Kindergartner and calls it the homerun line? Seriously, the homerun should be a fence. If it goes over the fence, good. That way, there's no doubt. But those dimensions, and the wall out there are very poor design. I want to see why MLB ever approved that.

The Wall
10-26-2005, 09:06 AM
To just make a point...of all those calls that went the Sox way in this run, NONE of them, I mean NOT ONE SINGLE CALL of them all actually resulted in the score changing and us getting a run.

That call that went against the Sox clearly resulted in a run and dragged this game longer than any other Series game. Now, lets see how many mediots will actually cut through the crap and see this fact.

Frater Perdurabo
10-26-2005, 09:10 AM
To just make a point...of all those calls that went the Sox way in this run, NONE of them, I mean NOT ONE SINGLE CALL of them all actually resulted in the score changing and us getting a run.

That call that went against the Sox clearly resulted in a run and dragged this game longer than any other Series game. Now, lets see how many mediots will actually cut through the crap and see this fact.

This is exactly right. The blown call cost the Sox a run. But still, they came back, took the lead in ONE inning and then perservered to win it in the 14th, with the Game 2 starter getting the save! Talk about sucking it up!

:supernana:

nebraskasox
10-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Also, we didn't see the replay ad nauseam like the ones that went in favor of the Sox. They showed a replay in one inning after the occurence and never mentioned it again.

Glebe
10-26-2005, 09:49 AM
I hope umpire karma is finally even! I couldn't feel upset about that blown call after the help we've had throughout the postseason. But all our little ones still had to be capitalized on by further good plays, that one immediately gave them a run. Here's hoping the baseball gods' books are balanced!

soxinthecity
10-26-2005, 09:55 AM
also the hit by pitch to Dye, the ball clearly brushed his jersey, but two mistakes that went against the Sox and they kept there composure and pulled out a win.

That's what good teams do, they get it done, and find a way to win.

BeviBall!
10-26-2005, 09:57 AM
That field is such a joke, chances are Rowand probably had no idea that Crede hit a HR, the home run line is so messed up.

SoxFan78
10-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Also, we didn't see the replay ad nauseam like the ones that went in favor of the Sox. They showed a replay in one inning after the occurence and never mentioned it again.

I thank everyone that bought this up. That was total BS. Not the missed HR call, but how Fox spent only a couple of minutes on it and just let it go. If the Sox hit that home run, I guarntee that they would have Chris Myers up there on a cherry picker between innings spraypanting a big arrow where the ball hit. Joe Buck would be crying for instant replay, and Tim McCarver would be telling us how the team that scores the most runs in nine innings will win the game.

I do give props to Peter Gammons on ESPN though for saying that MLB has to do something about the HR parts in that park. Thank god we dont have to play there during the regular season.

Ol' No. 2
10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
It's real simple. Breaks are a part of the game.

Winners take advantage of those that go their way and overcome those that don't.

Losers whine about them.

TDog
10-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Does a home run in Houston count double if the ball goes into bucket No. 6?

SoxFan78
10-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Does a home run in Houston count double if the ball goes into bucket No. 6?

It doesnt count double, but you do get a brand new Schwinn bike and a pass to Kiddyland.

mjharrison72
10-26-2005, 11:38 AM
You gotta love how the disputed call that doesnt go the Sox way is looked at for about 2 maybe 3 minutes while any call that went there way was look at the entire rest of the game and is put on the front page of the papers.
I'm not crying about this, but you're exactly right... they managed to sully Konerko's GRAMD SLAM by showing at least a dozen replays of Dye's HBP... a play that would have meant another 3-2 pitch with two outs had it been called correctly.
Meanwhile, last night's "homer" was a mistake that gave the Astros an extra run, and they maybe showed four replays of it right after the fact... and the whole time there are the Fox announcers talking about what a great call the umpire made. Ridiculous.

Did anyone else catch when a foul ball hit at least a foot off the line, and McCarver goes, "Great call by the umpires," and Buck goes, "Best call they've made all night." What idiots.

It's probably a separate thread, but I would love to rant about the strike zone last night.

PorkChopExpress
10-26-2005, 11:39 AM
It's real simple. Breaks are a part of the game.

Winners take advantage of those that go their way and overcome those that don't.

Losers whine about them.

EXACTLY! I just want to hear someone in the media say this.

dmac
10-26-2005, 11:40 AM
I thank everyone that bought this up. That was total BS. Not the missed HR call, but how Fox spent only a couple of minutes on it and just let it go. If the Sox hit that home run, I guarntee that they would have Chris Myers up there on a cherry picker between innings spraypanting a big arrow where the ball hit. Joe Buck would be crying for instant replay, and Tim McCarver would be telling us how the team that scores the most runs in nine innings will win the game.

I do give props to Peter Gammons on ESPN though for saying that MLB has to do something about the HR parts in that park. Thank god we dont have to play there during the regular season.

the should raze that band box. I hated the astrodome, but I think I hate this place even more. Nuke the place!

SoxFan64
10-26-2005, 11:43 AM
also the hit by pitch to Dye, the ball clearly brushed his jersey, but two mistakes that went against the Sox and they kept there composure and pulled out a win.

As the Dye play occured I told my friend that pitch hit his jersey -- before the replay. What struk me was the reaction by Dye -- it was the same reaction on the non-HBP that went our way. Dye never moved toward first base and never looked back at the umpire begging for a call. I tell you the more I see Dye play the more I like his approach to the game. Very professional.

I can't wait for tonight.

Ol' No. 2
10-26-2005, 11:53 AM
the should raze that band box. I hated the astrodome, but I think I hate this place even more. Nuke the place!Next year they're going to put a quicksand pit in LF to give the place even more "character".

VenturaSoxFan23
10-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Wanna make it more kid-friendly? Use the schoolyard logic and have a jungle gym in right field. Be funny to see Burnitz get stuck trying to get to the ball.

scottjanssens
10-26-2005, 12:09 PM
I thank everyone that bought this up. That was total BS. Not the missed HR call, but how Fox spent only a couple of minutes on it and just let it go.

Blame the Sox. Just as Tweedle Dumber and Tweedle Dumbest (drop and drive?) started to talk about it, Crede belted one out. Then the Sox started pounding Oswalt until the point became moot.

scottjanssens
10-26-2005, 12:11 PM
the should raze that band box. I hated the astrodome, but I think I hate this place even more. Nuke the place!

It's a lousy ballpark, but it's not really a band box. The porch may be short in left but it's a tall wall. Pierzynski's double last night is a HR just about anywhere else.

Vernam
10-26-2005, 01:01 PM
I thank everyone that bought this up. That was total BS. Not the missed HR call, but how Fox spent only a couple of minutes on it and just let it go. If the Sox hit that home run, I guarntee that they would have Chris Myers up there on a cherry picker between innings spraypanting a big arrow where the ball hit. Joe Buck would be crying for instant replay, and Tim McCarver would be telling us how the team that scores the most runs in nine innings will win the game.Apart from "the-national-media-hate-the-Sox," does anyone have a theory why FOX would obsess over plays like the Dye foul tip on Sunday yet sweep the fake Lane homer under the rug? Until last night, I'd assumed FOX just fanned any handy controversy because they think it's good ratings (we all know the public is more interested in foul tips than grand slams, don't we?). But after how they went 10 MORE INNINGS that resulted directly from the blown home run call yet showed the definitive replay exactly twice, I think something more subtle must be at work. I can't for the life of me decide what it is, though. "Bias" doesn't quite explain it.

Vernam