PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS!!!...Sox aquire A DIFFERENT Alex Fernandez

OfficerKarkovice
12-13-2001, 01:04 PM
http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,169934,00.html

PaleHoseGeorge
12-13-2001, 01:07 PM
Alex Fernandez, a single-A outfielder, available in the Rule 5 draft.

Nothing to get excited about.

voodoochile
12-13-2001, 01:08 PM
Okay, you got me...

:)

rdivaldi
12-13-2001, 01:23 PM
Along the lines of Rule 5. Um, I'm having a small heart attack here. On the Baseball America site it says that the Expos acquired Joe Valentine from us. I'm assuming that's wrong, if it's right I have a small tirade to go on.

I hope this isnt' true (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/rule5results01.html)

Iwritecode
12-13-2001, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Along the lines of Rule 5. Um, I'm having a small heart attack here. On the Baseball America site it says that the Expos acquired Joe Valentine from us. I'm assuming that's wrong, if it's right I have a small tirade to go on.

I hope this isnt' true (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/rule5results01.html)

It also says Joe is a RHP. Jose is on the 40-man roster. He ain't going anywhere.

rdivaldi
12-13-2001, 01:29 PM
No IWC, I'm referring to Joe Valentine who was one of the top closers in the minors last year. This guy was dominant at every stop in 2001. I have no idea why this would be true, how could a talent like this get away in Rule V?

irish rover
12-13-2001, 01:32 PM
he has to make thier 40 man roster if not we get him back for 25k

cheeses_h_rice
12-13-2001, 01:33 PM
No IWC, I'm referring to Joe Valentine who was one of the top closers in the minors last year. This guy was dominant at every stop in 2001. I have no idea why this would be true, how could a talent like this get away in Rule V?

:KW

It was just too confusing having two players with similar names like that. You all know how I get screwed up on names!

OfficerKarkovice
12-13-2001, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Alex Fernandez, a single-A outfielder, available in the Rule 5 draft.

Nothing to get excited about.

Oh come on PHG why did u have to change the title...that was fun. :D:

rdivaldi
12-13-2001, 01:36 PM
he has to make thier 40 man roster if not we get him back for 25k

Good point irish. I"m still not very happy about this however. We could end up losing a future stud closer.

FarWestChicago
12-13-2001, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

Oh come on PHG why did u have to change the title...that was fun. :D: PHG and I both dislike bogus headlines in the Clubhouse (The Parking Lot is a different matter)...especially when everybody is wound up like the last couple of days.

Iwritecode
12-13-2001, 01:40 PM

Oh, didn't know about him...

How come they have it listed at the Major League level then?

rdivaldi
12-13-2001, 02:21 PM
How come they have it listed at the Major League level then?

Good question, I don't know. That's one of the reasons I thought that it could be a mistake.

OfficerKarkovice
12-13-2001, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
PHG and I both dislike bogus headlines in the Clubhouse (The Parking Lot is a different matter)...especially when everybody is wound up like the last couple of days.

Fine fine...although technically it wasnt a bogus headline...just trying to lighten the mood a little.

voodoochile
12-13-2001, 06:05 PM

To be eligible for rule V draft, don't you have to be a certain age or in the minors for a minimum number of years? How good can he be if he has been around for a while and no one has heard of him except for you?

Not trying to be a jerk, but this isn't Almonte...

Randar68
12-13-2001, 06:07 PM
To be eligible for rule V draft, don't you have to be a certain age or in the minors for a minimum number of years? How good can he be if he has been around for a while and no one has heard of him except for you?

Maggs was once available in the rule 5 draft and nobody picked him up...

Each team can only protect 40 players that fall into the eligible categories...

voodoochile
12-13-2001, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Maggs was once available in the rule 5 draft and nobody picked him up...

Each team can only protect 40 players that fall into the eligible categories...

Okay, so I am an idiot... what is the definition of players who are eligible for rule V drafts? Anyone not on the 40 man roster?

Bmr31
12-13-2001, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
PHG and I both dislike bogus headlines in the Clubhouse (The Parking Lot is a different matter)...especially when everybody is wound up like the last couple of days.

some of us posters dont like it much either.....

rdivaldi
12-14-2001, 10:12 AM

Not trying to be a jerk, but this isn't Almonte...

I just followed this guy all season long and he was dominant at every stop. Guess I like to pick an unknown favorite as the season goes along, and Joe was that guy in 2001.

Here are the basic rules of the Rule V draft:

Major league teams must protect players on their 40-man rosters within three or four years of their original signing. Those left unprotected are available to other teams as Rule 5 picks.

Players who were 18 or younger on June 5 preceding the signing of their first contract must be protected after four minor league seasons. Players 19 and older must be protected after three seasons.

Each Rule 5 pick must be kept in the major leagues the entire following season or be offered back to his former team for half of the $50,000 selection price. Few players are ready for such a jump, so only about 10-15 get picked each year. Fewer still last the whole season in the big leagues.

voodoochile
12-14-2001, 11:17 AM
Thanks, RD...