PDA

View Full Version : Aren't you guys tired of the Scott Ruffcorns?

dpbyron
12-13-2001, 12:55 PM
How many years have we been hearing about all these "can't miss" pitching prospects who fall flat on their faces. I applaud KW for taking a chance.

Ritchie's stuff is great. Look at some of the boxscores from his 2nd half games last year. His stuff is ocasionally described as "unbelievable".

Hey, sometimes it takes 5-6 years for a MLB pitcher to "get it". He started out 0-8 last year and somehow managed to finish 11-15 with the god awful Pirates. It seems to me that it "clicked" for him last season.

I hated giving up Lowe, but starting pitching is alomost impossible to come by via a trade or free agency.

I like the trade, you never know Ritchie could be the next Jon Lieber. :)

duke of dorwood
12-13-2001, 01:08 PM
Or the next Jose DELeon

Moses_Scurry
12-13-2001, 01:46 PM
The fact is that the guy was something like 36-34 over the last 3 years for the PITTSBURGH PIRATES, arguably one of the worst teams in that span!!! I say, give him a chance before crucifying Kenny for making the trade. Kip was going nowhere, and who the hell knows about Fogg. I don't like losing Lowe either, but I'd rather get another good starter than go with the rotation we had.

Tragg
12-13-2001, 02:41 PM
Yes, I'm tired of Scott Ruffcorns. Lowe is no ruffcorn.

We traded a pitcher with a sub 4 ERA for a pitcher with an above 4 ERA and with a LOWER strike-out to innings pitched ratio. And then, Kenny Williams through in some lagniappe (one of which is Ruffcornish). And then I hear that Richie is a free agent (don't know if it is true).

Williams NEVER gets the edge. He overpays for everything he wants.

Paulwny
12-13-2001, 03:01 PM
We over paid. Lowe didn't need to be part of this deal. So far it looks like the Pirates wanted Wells, with Fogg, that would have been enough.

Tragg
12-13-2001, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
We over paid. Lowe didn't need to be part of this deal. So far it looks like the Pirates wanted Wells, with Fogg, that would have been enough.

I agree.
I do think that jerry wanted lowe off the team.