Wasn't that decided yesterday?

Fenway
10-25-2005, 03:59 PM
http://www.couchmaster.ca/images/qod/Bud_Selig5.jpg

I am in charge

Deuce
10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Wasn't that decided yesterday?
Yes, but it was contingent on the weather. Nothing was final till this afternoon.

Deuce

cheeses_h_rice
10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Boy, I am so looking forward to Buck and McCarver spending an hour talking about this tonight!!!

Baby Fisk
10-25-2005, 04:05 PM
http://www.rlrassociates.net/images/baseball_tim_mccarver.jpg
"This...can't...be...happening!"

itsnotrequired
10-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Boy, I am so looking forward to Buck and McCarver spending an hour talking about this tonight!!!

I'm sure it won't even be mentioned.

Buck: Say Tim, any chance the open roof has resulted in lucky calls for the Sox tonight?

McCarver: Oh, without a doubt, Joe. May I also add that the team that has the most runs after nine innings will be the winner.

eriqjaffe
10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
If Fox has any sense of humor at all, they'll play "Deep In The Heart Of Texas" over and over again.

Gammons Peter
10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
funny stuff on fark:

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1728754

XplodingScorbord
10-25-2005, 04:19 PM
funny stuff on fark:

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1728754

This was good: "Baseball, like freedom, was intended to be played outdoors. If the roof is closed, the terrorists win. Why do the Astros hate America?"

:roflmao:

Disantinon
10-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Once again Selig makes himself look dumb. A little forethought would have solved this problem.

There needs to be a set rule on retractable roofs. Their open or closed status can only be decided by weather. Maybe even put some details in the rule about exact temperature and chance of rain requirements(although some roofs close so fast they shouldn't be closed until it actually starts raining).

Back in the day, some teams used to have moveable outfield fences that they could changed based on who was pitching and or what team they were playing. Of course that was banned. I see the roof issue as exactly the same. The physical characteristics of the stadium should not be changed on a game to game basis for the advantage of the home team.

And this is not a stance I take just because of the White Sox, I have complained about this ever since Houston moved to Enron. It used to be even worse when they opened the roof after the top half of an inning.

itsnotrequired
10-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Once again Selig makes himself look dumb. A little forethought would have solved this problem.

There needs to be a set rule on retractable roofs. Their open or closed status can only be decided by weather. Maybe even put some details in the rule about exact temperature and chance of rain requirements(although some roofs close so fast they shouldn't be closed until it actually starts raining).

Back in the day, some teams used to have moveable outfield fences that they could changed based on who was pitching and or what team they were playing. Of course that was banned. I see the roof issue as exactly the same. The physical characteristics of the stadium should not be changed on a game to game basis for the advantage of the home team.

And this is not a stance I take just because of the White Sox, I have complained about this ever since Houston moved to Enron. It used to be even worse when they opened the roof after the top half of an inning.

I believe there are already rules about opening and closing roofs. Well, for SAFECo anyway:

If the roof is open and climatic conditions warrant it, the roof can be extended in the middle of an inning. Once the roof is closed during a game, it will not be re-opened. If a game begins with the roof closed, it may be opened only between innings and the visiting team may challenge the decision to open it. If the visitors opt to challenge, the decision becomes the discretion of the Umpire Crew Chief.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2005, 04:34 PM
What's even funnier is Garner's comment that the decision "is a slap in the face to our fans regarding their comfort."

Yea right....it must be brutal to have to sit through 60 degree weather in late October.

Lip

Fenway
10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
What's even funnier is Garner's comment that the decision "is a slap in the face to our fans regarding their comfort."

Yea right....it must be brutal to have to sit through 60 degree weather in late October.

Lip

I seem to recall Skydome was closed in 1992-3

Baby Fisk
10-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I seem to recall Skydome was closed in 1992-3
Skydome's roof is only open for two weeks in July (weather permitting). :angry:

NWSox
10-25-2005, 04:38 PM
I just read that MLB was actually following the Astros' rules which state that the roof will be open if the temp is less than 80 with no precipitation. Obviously the Astros haven't been following their own rules all season. I'm still not sure whom this favors, but I like the fact that the Astros are pissed and distracted. :D:

bennyw41
10-25-2005, 04:39 PM
What is the reasoning behind opening it? Why are they stating something now, and not when the playoffs began?

FarWestChicago
10-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Skydome's roof is only open for two weeks in July (weather permitting). :angry:That would be the Teddome now. :redneck

FarWestChicago
10-25-2005, 04:42 PM
I just read that MLB was actually following the Astros' rules which state that the roof will be open if the temp is less than 80 with no precipitation. Obviously the Astros haven't been following their own rules all season. I'm still not sure whom this favors, but I like the fact that the Astros are pissed and distracted. :D:This stuff about crowd noise is a bunch of crap. Supposedly the ball carries better with the roof open. The 'Stros don't want our boys hitting any taters off of Oswalt. I say toughen up and deal with it. Baseball is an outdoor sport. If you want a roof, go to a basketball game. :cool:

Chicken Dinner
10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
If the All-Star game decides home field advantage, maybe Bud should take the results of all the spring training games and use that to decide if the roof is open or closed.

seanpmurphy
10-25-2005, 04:55 PM
If the All-Star game decides home field advantage, maybe Bud should take the results of all the spring training games and use that to decide if the roof is open or closed.:tealtutor:

Hendu
10-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey, Astros....get over it. I've never heard so many baseball players whining about something that shouldn't really matter. Isn't it Phil Garner's job tell his players 'hey guys, who cares about the roof, let's play ball?" Instead, he's whining along with the rest of his team.

I hope they keep focusing on trivial crap like this. Why do they need the roof closed anyways, now that they've shaved their playoff beards into goatees?

A.T. Money
10-25-2005, 05:07 PM
If the All-Star game decides home field advantage, maybe Bud should take the results of all the spring training games and use that to decide if the roof is open or closed.

:tealpolice:

Ol' No. 2
10-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Hey, Astros....get over it. I've never heard so many baseball players whining about something that shouldn't really matter. Isn't it Phil Garner's job tell his players 'hey guys, who cares about the roof, let's play ball?" Instead, he's whining along with the rest of his team.

I hope they keep focusing on trivial crap like this. Why do they need the roof closed anyways, now that they've shaved their playoff beards into goatees?Can you imagine what Ozzie would be saying in this position?

:ozzie "I don't care if the [bleep] roof is [bleep] open or [bleep] closed. Our guys shouldn't be worrying about that. They should be worrying about winning the [bleep] game."

PODhead22
10-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I say just close the roof. Why is it that big of a deal. Let the Stros decide. Its their ballpark. The Sox don't need an open roof to win. I am sick of the national media talking about how the Sox get all the "breaks". This is another one and the breaks are why we're winning.

Banix12
10-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I say just close the roof. Why is it that big of a deal. Let the Stros decide. Its their ballpark. The Sox don't need an open roof to win. I am sick of the national media talking about how the Sox get all the "breaks". This is another one and the breaks are why we're winning.

The matter is MLB controls the final round of the playoffs, just like how I'll bet Game 2 in Chicago likely would have been called and played yesterday if the Sox were in charge but MLB wanted to play through it.

The Astros have set rules on what controls the roof being open and with MLB in charge they are following those rules. Next year they should change the rules or something in case this happens again.

Though frankly if the Astros care that much about this the Astros should just close the roof anyway and just say "screw you" to baseball. It would be the "Texas" thing to do and would give them a real rebel image. The worst thing baseball can do is make them forfeit the game but frankly the outrage from media and fans would be so enourmous that Selig would never do it. It would be 1000x worse than the All Star tie in Milwaukee. They would probably fine the Astros and that would be the end of it.

cleogogo
10-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Was the roof open or closed during the series with St.Louis?

skobabe8
10-25-2005, 05:41 PM

closed

Banix12
10-25-2005, 05:42 PM

Closed, despite absolutely beautiful weather in Houston.

JackParkman
10-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I couldn't care less whether the roof is open or closed, but I love the fact that this is what the Astros are obsessing over rather than ... oh, I don't know ... a World Series game! The more thought and energy they waste on the irrelevant, the less they spend trying to figure out Jon Garland a.

clean
10-25-2005, 05:58 PM
haha, from that site:http://home.comcast.net/~djqtv/chronicle.jpg:cool:

NWSox
10-25-2005, 06:52 PM

Apparently all but one game was above 80 degrees, which allows them to close the roof. MLB claims it couldn't get to the Astros in time to get the roof open for that one game.

korhead
10-25-2005, 10:23 PM
IIRC, the BOB's roof was open during the D'backs Yankees series except for gm 7, when it rained in Phoenix. Open or closed, I like our chances.