PDA

View Full Version : Oswalt: Preemptive brushback

hawkjt
10-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Oswalt is well known for throwing inside so I think it may behoove Jonny to get the first knockdown in. We all know about the whole warning deal and Jon needs to work the inside. Maybe in the WS the umps will relax it. But I fully expect Oswalt to come up and in to get our guys out of their comfort zone. Look for Gooch to get hit which may not be all bad in the 1st inning. Or Jdog. Or PK leading off the second.

I just want Jon to not have to worry about pitching inside cuz if he does not go there he will get hit hard. I am just nervous- bear with me.

boiler up
10-25-2005, 02:25 PM
i have not seen oswalt pitch, but i HOPE that garland wouldn't let something like that affect how he throws the ball inside. he just needs to stay comfortable. as to if a preemtive strike is the answer, i have no idea.

dividedsk717
10-25-2005, 02:26 PM
If he does, the Sox hitters need to lean in and take the base. If he wants to play that game in the postseason, let's make him pay.

It's important to pitch inside, obviously, but Jon can't be foolish about it.

daveeym
10-25-2005, 02:27 PM
This should not be a concern what so ever. The Sox are only concerned about one thing - winning baseball. They're not worried about a bean brawl. Throwing in and hitting guys and beaning guys is entirely different anyway. Good give us a few more free runners if you want to throw inside.

Too many that gripe about our hit batsmen don't realize that more than likely those guys are trying to get hit and take one for the team - it's smart baseball and our guys could probably get out of the way of a lot more balls if they really wanted to.

Frater Perdurabo
10-25-2005, 02:34 PM
This should not be a concern what so ever. The Sox are only concerned about one thing - winning baseball. They're not worried about a bean brawl. Throwing in and hitting guys and beaning guys is entirely different anyway. Good give us a few more free runners if you want to throw inside.

Too many that gripe about our hit batsmen don't realize that more than likely those guys are trying to get hit and take one for the team - it's smart baseball and our guys could probably get out of the way of a lot more balls if they really wanted to.

This has been the Sox approach all year. They make the opposition pay by driving the runner home when he reaches on an intentional HBP.

samram
10-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Knocking guys down and retaliating is something done in the regular season to make sure it doesn't happen in a later game. In the postseason, the best thing you can do is just win the game. The way I see it, if Oswalt wants to put guys on base, let him.

hawkjt
10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
No doubt that bagwell leaned into that pitch the other nite. Smart player and more evidence that the Crede call early in the season was total BS.

SOXPHILE
10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Not gonna happen. 2 teams in the World Series are not going to get into a pissing match and start hitting each other's batters. This is the World Series. Every baserunner is a potential run, and the importance of that is magnified many times over in the Series. Middle of June, sure. Not now.

White_Sock
10-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally quoted by hawkjt

No doubt that bagwell leaned into that pitch the other nite. Smart player and more evidence that the Crede call early in the season was total BS.

I was at that game. Total BS call by Wendelstedt.:angry: However, it gave way to Jermaine Dye at shortstop move. Priceless.:redneck

I got to watch Dye huck a ball clear into the stands in the pre-inning warmup.:D:

SweetnesSox
10-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Umpires won't throw out both starting pitchers in a World Series game. It would never happen. Or I should say, it would take quite the beanfest.

downstairs
10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Umpires won't throw out both starting pitchers in a World Series game. It would never happen. Or I should say, it would take quite the beanfest.

Yeah they will.

They tossed a manager and major, important hitter at a critical point in a NLCS clinching game...

DaleJRFan
10-25-2005, 04:15 PM
This shouldn't be an issue. Oswalt hammers the strike zone and moves the ball inside and outside. Every so often he hits a guy, and when you throw 97-98 when hitting someone, things get said. I wouldn't worry about it too much. He's a classy guy, I don't see him throwing broken bats back at the hitters.