PDA

View Full Version : Trade is Official...

Kilroy
12-13-2001, 10:11 AM
Just got press release from the Sox:

WHITE SOX ACQUIRE PITCHER TODD RITCHIE
AND MINOR-LEAGUE CATCHER LEE EVANS
IN EXCHANGE FOR PITCHERS KIP WELLS, SEAN LOWE AND JOSH FOG

Ritchie, 30, was 11-15 with a 4.47 ERA (103 ER/207.1 IP) in 33 games (all
starts) with the Pirates after beginning the season 0-8. The right-hander went
a career-best 15-9 with a 3.49 ERA in 1999. Over five major-league seasons
with Minnesota (1997-98) and Pittsburgh (1999-01), Ritchie is 37-35 with a 4.37
ERA (323 ER/665.2 IP) in 149 career games (90 starts).

Evans, 24, batted .248 (106-428) with 11 home runs, 48 RBI and 12 stolen bases
in 118 games at Class AA Altoona. Over six seasons in the Pittsburgh farm
system, the switch-hitting Evans is a career .240 hitter (490-2,039) with 47
home runs and 253 RBI in 581 games

delben91
12-13-2001, 10:13 AM
<sigh>

Fisk72
12-13-2001, 10:17 AM
So am I to believe that Giles is out of the picture then? I was sad to read about the Erstad deal falling through, but I was pretty hopeful after reading the Giles was in the picture. I was hoping to have some bragging rights over my buddy in Pittsburgh. At least I'll be able to harrass him about the Pirates having Kip now.

harwar
12-13-2001, 10:19 AM
My anger is already going away.Now i'm just depressed.Ritchie will fit in the rotation nicely but trading away Sean Lowe is a BIG MISTAKE!!!Arizona was the first team that i can remember that went all the way without a GREAT middle relief guy.Sean was(is) one of the best in the business.Oh well,too bad that Darin Erstad trade fell thru,i really like that guy.

Kilroy
12-13-2001, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
So am I to believe that Giles is out of the picture then? I was sad to read about the Erstad deal falling through, but I was pretty hopeful after reading the Giles was in the picture. I was hoping to have some bragging rights over my buddy in Pittsburgh. At least I'll be able to harrass him about the Pirates having Kip now.

I got a little excited when I saw they also nabbed a catcher, but then I looked at his stats. No big deal there. Trading Lowe was a bad idea. No Lowe, no Simas. Middle relief aint lookin so good right now...

duke of dorwood
12-13-2001, 10:21 AM
Kip was our alternate long guy too. gutting the bullpen. AND we still havent unloaded the Choice yet. I am ill.

dougs78
12-13-2001, 10:23 AM
I know I have heard before that Pittsburgh had at least 2 very good catching prospects. One was J.R. House and I can't recall the other one. Lets hope it was the one we just got, but I don' think it is.

Also, I am not sure why we are giving away Kip, Lowe and Fogg...it would seem like 2 of the above would be sufficient. This sure does start to clarify our bullpen situation, since we just lost 3 guys who i was pretty certain would have jobs there this year. I liked Fogg, but I realize he'll never be much more than a middle reliever.

Lets see how this turns out.

duke of dorwood
12-13-2001, 10:27 AM
We should have got Giles for 3 pitchers

duke of dorwood
12-13-2001, 10:29 AM
:lynch&mcfail

Thanks, guys. This hurts our cause

Konerkofan
12-13-2001, 10:31 AM
I think this trade just costed me my seasons tickets.
The white sox just made a terrible decision and I'm sick of sitting on the sidelines watching this.

harwar
12-13-2001, 10:33 AM
Someone needs to get on out there to boston before that jackass ken williams trades away Buehrle or Valentin also.If only Sean Lowe were not in the trade list i'd not have a problem with it.

rdivaldi
12-13-2001, 10:35 AM
I think this trade just costed me my seasons tickets.
The white sox just made a terrible decision and I'm sick of sitting on the sidelines watching this.

Oh please drama queen. Boo-hoo.

MJK
12-13-2001, 10:41 AM
No chance of the3 pittsburg president killing this trade i suppose

rdivaldi
12-13-2001, 10:49 AM
What point? The point that you're overreacting? You've proven that point very well.

Relax.

GASHWOUND
12-13-2001, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by harwar
If only Sean Lowe were not in the trade list i'd not have a problem with it.

I just woke up to hear that KW traded those 3 pitchers for Ritchie? HUH? Just like you said, I "wouln't mind" as much if Lowe wasn't included..but he was. Thats to much to give up for a Todd Ritchie. Todd is a quality starter, but Lowe is FAR to important of a pitcher to include in that deal. crap, I was counting on Lowe for the Sox's bullpen next season. Jeez, what a crappy day off so far. I was kinda excited cause I thought we were in the run for Giles, but I guess we ain't gettin him.
We just lost two quality bullpen arms for one starter? At least Lowe in Wells were healthy and could be counted on to help the pen. With Wunsch, Osuna, and Barcelo coming off of surgery those were the two we were counting on! Now does this mean we will resign Simas? I would assume that, but who knows. I don't know about this trade, but I have to sit on it for a couple days.

Clarkdog
12-13-2001, 10:52 AM
Not to give the Flubs any props, but KW should really take some lessons for McFail. If you can say anything good about the guy, HE KNOWS HOW TO NEGOTIATE. The Flubs managed to trade away a time bomb in their bullpen (Heredia) for a slick fielding shortstop, that can hit with some power (strikes out a lot, and OBP is meager). But I don't see how Toronto felt like they got the better of that deal.

Now the White Sox, this is the second transaction I've seen where KW got his ass handed to him. The Baldwin deal where we got a minor league pitcher we once traded away, and the wrong Berry (Barry...oops). Now the Richie deal where we have traded away three decent arms to get one and Josh Paul's statistical twin. KW IN A NEGOTIATION IS LIKE LEADING A LAMB TO SLAUGHTER.

Those three arms for Giles is a fair deal. For Ritchie? Two arms. I'll give him that cause he's a lefty. Kip and one other. I would have never dealt Lowe. He's too valuable in the middle. I'll be interested to see how our middle relief solution shakes out now.

OfficerKarkovice
12-13-2001, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
For Ritchie? Two arms. I'll give him that cause he's a lefty. Kip and one other.

Heheh...he's right handed.

Clarkdog
12-13-2001, 11:03 AM
Then it's even worse. Those idiots on the Score said he was left handed. Sorry, don't follow too much Pittsburgh baseball.