PDA

View Full Version : Chicago and Houston: a litany of uniform atrocities

Baby Fisk
10-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Nice stroll down memory lane re. Sox & Stros uniforms.

linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/051024)

WARNING: this article features a link to a David Wells photo that will turn your stomachs. Blech.

wdelaney72
10-25-2005, 09:32 AM
I love the old stros uniforms. I never see the circular number before.

veeter
10-25-2005, 09:39 AM
I grew up in the '70s so I loved anything gaudy. I loved the Astros old uniforms. Of course, I've loved everything the Sox have thrown on their backs.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 09:41 AM
The only reason people say they don't like the Pirates uniforms is because the one image they have is of fat Willie Stargell in one. I loved the box-type hat. I have a Sox one just like it; the same shade of blue with "SOX" on the front and the stripes around it. (The bill is flimsy due to years of wear-and-tear.)
I always thought that was a sharp-looking style of hat.

Sox of White
10-25-2005, 09:42 AM
The only reason people say they don't like the Pirates uniforms is because the one image they have is of fat Willie Stargell in one. I loved the box-type hat. I have a Sox one just like it; the same shade of blue with "SOX" on the front and the stripes around it. (The bill is flimsy due to years of wear-and-tear.)
I always thought that was a sharp-looking style of hat.

I agree. I love old style hats. I love all unique hats like the box type, or those really old ones with almost no bill.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 09:54 AM
One question about those Pirates hats: I remember they had stars all around them as well. Did they mean anything or was it just a random idea they tried?

kninchicago
10-25-2005, 10:28 AM
That 1982 Sox logo is rowdy. I'm knitting myself a sweater to bring to cold games next season with that style logo on it.

34 Inch Stick
10-25-2005, 10:49 AM
People abuse the 1976 pajama uniforms. I will agree that shorts were a bad idea. However, I absolutely love those unis. There is so much love going around for the 80's versions of the uniforms and this one seems to be left in the dust.

TDog
10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
One question about those Pirates hats: I remember they had stars all around them as well. Did they mean anything or was it just a random idea they tried?

Those were Stargell Stars, as I recall, awarded by Pops himself for meritorious service to the family cause. I presume stars on Wilver Stargell's hat would have been awarded by acclamation.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Thank you. Just something that popped into my head.

daveeym
10-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Man I love the old SOX straight across the chest jersey in red and dark navy. I remember having the same colors for a little league jersey. The white seems 10 times whiter than any other white jersey with those colors.

C-Dawg
10-25-2005, 12:41 PM
People abuse the 1976 pajama uniforms. I will agree that shorts were a bad idea. However, I absolutely love those unis. There is so much love going around for the 80's versions of the uniforms and this one seems to be left in the dust.

You said it! I have fond memories of those uniforms, and if Majestic or someone would ever re-release the jerseys I'd be all over one in a second!

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Agreed. The lettering makes it look like it should have the name of a 1920's speakeasy on the front. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, especially if it's a Bill Naharodny number.

Baby Fisk
10-25-2005, 12:49 PM
You said it! I have fond memories of those uniforms, and if Majestic or someone would ever re-release the jerseys I'd be all over one in a second!
They are definitely available... for a price.

Grandstand has some, they pop up on eBay, and on other sports clothing sites.

C-Dawg
10-25-2005, 12:55 PM
They are definitely available... for a price.

Grandstand has some, they pop up on eBay, and on other sports clothing sites.

I've seen them but aren't they only available as a number 72 and without the name? I'd like to be able to call and order one with whatever name I want, in the correct fonts of course.

It would be so cool to have a Pablo Torreabla jersey!

Baby Fisk
10-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I've seen them but aren't they only available as a number 72 and without the name? I'd like to be able to call and order one with whatever name I want, in the correct fonts of course.

It would be so cool to have a Pablo Torreabla jersey!
Yes, I'm the proud owner of a navy 72. Have never seen anyone offer personalized jerseys.