PDA

View Full Version : Announcement at 11am

Paulwny
12-13-2001, 10:01 AM
Dec. 13, 2001
By Scott Miller
SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Scott your opinion!

The Chicago White Sox have acquired pitcher Todd Ritchie from the Pittsburgh Pirates, according to sources.

The deal will be announced at 11 a.m. ET.

Viva Magglio
12-13-2001, 10:03 AM
And Fred Huebner announced the trade as if it's official:

WE GET: Todd Ritchie and a minor leaguer.

PIRATES GET: Sean Lowe, Kip Wells, and Josh Fogg

KW now has to trade Carlos Lee to compensate for the loss of Lowe, I think.

MJK
12-13-2001, 10:08 AM
i read that he is a FA after next year, they surely can't give up that much for an ok, (according to espn,'decent number 3 or 4 starter') pitcher for a year?????

MarqSox
12-13-2001, 10:13 AM
:butter
Looks like I'm back in the rotation eh?

duke of dorwood
12-13-2001, 10:23 AM
Kip wasnt gonna start. If we traded Sean, he was mid relief insurance. Now they are both gone. OUCH

Tragg
12-13-2001, 01:36 PM
Lowe pitched well for us most of last year.

Another free agent to be? come on, kenny williams.

WinningUgly!
12-13-2001, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Kip wasnt gonna start. If we traded Sean, he was mid relief insurance. Now they are both gone. OUCH

Does this mean we'll resign Simas?

czalgosz
12-13-2001, 02:56 PM
Well, here's the way the staff looks for 2002 -

Rotation -

1. Buehrle
2. Ritchie
3. Glover
4. Parque
5. Garland

Bullpen -

1. Barcelo
2. Osuna
3. Wunsch
4. Howry
5. Foulke
(6) Simas?

We're missing a reliever or two in there - maybe Masaoka will make the club in '02, or there will be another trade.
Lowe made it abundantly clear that he would gripe if he wasn't in next year's rotation, and the Sox couldn't really guarantee that to a guy who's only effective for 5 innings tops, so I'm not surprised that he's gone. I'm just upset that losing Kip and Fogg severely limits our options for the bullpen. We have zero margin for error. Simas, Barcelo, Wunsch, Osuna AND Parque will all have to be effective next season, or else guys like Rauch and Wright better step up and be ready for opening day.