PDA

View Full Version : $300,000 for the White Sox Clubhouse Manger w/ WS win?

SouthSide_HitMen
10-25-2005, 01:54 AM
Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal (weekend edition) about teams giving full World Series shares to people such as the Clubhouse Attendant. The Angels gave their clubhouse manager a full share in 2002 which amounted to $272,000.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB112986343622275416.html?mod=weekend_journal_prim ary_hs

The Windfall Classic
For Baseball's Clubhouse Guys,
Series Win Can Pay $300,000;
Lining Up to Tip Bubba
By JON WEINBACH
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
October 21, 2005; Page W1

As clubhouse manager for the Chicago White Sox, Vince Fresso spends his days rounding up sweaty uniforms, ordering food and making sure the bat boys scrape the mud off the players' cleats. But for all of the thankless tasks he's asked to supervise, the job may present him with one tantalizing perk this season: a World Series bonus.

Each October, unbeknown to many fans, loyal clubhouse workers for playoff teams such as the White Sox routinely pocket bonus payouts from players. And it's not small change: When a team wins the World Series, cash payments for some locker-room staffers can be as high as $300,000 -- nearly four times the highest salary for top clubhouse managers. "It'd be nice to get the money," says Mr. Fresso, who poured Champagne over players last weekend after the team advanced to the World Series, scheduled to start tomorrow. "I could be digging ditches for a living."........

The site is subscription based but if you don't have own check it out at the library if you have a chance.

Coolpapa
10-25-2005, 02:43 AM
I for one am in the wrong business...........

akingamongstmen
10-25-2005, 07:39 AM

I second that.

Ol' No. 2
10-25-2005, 09:31 AM
I for one am in the wrong business...........Average that money out over the number of years he's been doing that job for horse**** teams.

34 Inch Stick
10-25-2005, 10:31 AM
But also realize that players generally "tip" the clubhouse attendant at the end of the year. It's not bad money for a generally mindless job.

schmitty9800
10-25-2005, 10:44 AM
I didn't think WS shares were that much, even. I had always heard that they were 50K or so.

Good for him, obviously he deserves it if the guys he's taking care of think he should get it.

LongLiveFisk
10-25-2005, 11:16 AM

Same here, but not for lack of trying. I've tried to get a job with the White Sox many times in the past. Apparently my connections suck!

cheeses_h_rice
10-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I didn't think WS shares were that much, even. I had always heard that they were 50K or so.

From the article:

But within this small world of athlete gofers, it's well known that baseball delivers the biggest windfalls. Thanks to some artful negotiating by the baseball players' union, a part of gate receipts from postseason games goes into a common pool that's distributed to playoff teams -- with the biggest cut going to the World Series winners, who get 36% of the total to distribute as they see fit. Last season, the overall pool was more than $42 million, and the champion Boston Red Sox received a record $15 million to divide.

Rings are nice . . . but so is cash. Here's a breakdown of the bonuses players (and in some cases, clubhouse workers) received on the most recent championship winners in four major sports.

CHAMPION/LEAGUE: Boston Red Sox Major League Baseball

BONUS*: $223,620

NUMBER OF SHARES: 58 full shares, 29 partial shares, 8 cash awards

COMMENT: After ending an 86-year championship drought, Red Sox players were very generous, awarding nearly twice as many shares as other recent title winners.

soxfanatlanta
10-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Which would be cooler, pouring the World Champion bubbly, or knowing that you are kinda getting a bonus for pouring it? Either way, he's got a tough that has some serious perks, no?

tacosalbarojas
10-25-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't think what Fresso and what Chicken Willie did before him necessarily qualifies as mindless. Not saying you need a PhD for the gig, but it is a ton of work from what I understand - from uniform laundry, to players wanting their gear, hats, bats, uniforms, and everything else a certain way, the food spread layouts after the game, routine clubhouse cleanup and stocking of incidental items, it's a lot of detail, I'm sure. And I'm sure these guys are the first guys in the building long before bp starts and the last ones to leave after the players and press depart at night.

steff
10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Vinne works his ass off... when we moved their stuff for spring training he was running around like a mad man. If not for him.. their bats, uniforms, etc, wouldn't get where it needs to be.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-25-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't think what Fresso and what Chicken Willie did before him necessarily qualifies as mindless. Not saying you need a PhD for the gig, but it is a ton of work from what I understand - from uniform laundry, to players wanting their gear, hats, bats, uniforms, and everything else a certain way, the food spread layouts after the game, routine clubhouse cleanup and stocking of incidental items, it's a lot of detail, I'm sure. And I'm sure these guys are the first guys in the building long before bp starts and the last ones to leave after the players and press depart at night.

The article states (which most people probably don't know) the clubhouse manager pays for all of the food in the clubhouse and the players pay him back via dues (rookies pay $40 a game generally whereas stars pay between one and five hundred - plus tips). It was a very interesting article.

voodoochile
10-25-2005, 01:08 PM

It's a service business and the service is being provided to very wealthy very pampered people. You have to get it right. It's not as easy as it sounds. Some people have the ability to do it and some don't.

I have worked in fine dining restaurant establishments and served people who are worth close to $1B. It's a lot of fun but it can be stressful. Trust me, you don't want to tick off a guy who puts 200K in the company bank account every year.

I am glad these guys get their due when the time comes. They deserve every penny and one should never expect perfect service and then tip cheap...

tacosalbarojas
10-25-2005, 01:19 PM
It's a service business and the service is being provided to very wealthy very pampered people. You have to get it right. It's not as easy as it sounds. Some people have the ability to do it and some don't.

I have worked in fine dining restaurant establishments and served people who are worth close to $1B. It's a lot of fun but it can be stressful. Trust me, you don't want to tick off a guy who puts 200K in the company bank account every year.

I am glad these guys get their due when the time comes. They deserve every penny and one should never expect perfect service and then tip cheap...You mean like Scottie Pippen? Seriously, good points.