PDA

View Full Version : Red Faber pitched 4 WS games 1917 Sox

awesomefan
10-25-2005, 12:11 AM
I read this in the Tribune......

Red Faber pitched & WON game 2 for the Chicago White Sox vs New York Giants in 1917 World Series.

Red Faber pitched & LOST game 4 of 1917 World Series.

Red Faber pitched & WON in 2 innings of relief in game 5 of 1917 World Series.

Red Faber 2 days later pitched & went the distance to WIN game 6 to clinch the 1917 World Series for the Chicago White Sox.

That is WILD....What an arm....unheard of in this era of baseball today.:o:

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 12:45 AM
But now the Gigantics are getting the tar taken out of their pine
By my hero Red Faber and Iím ready to get rapprochement with my neighbor
As part of the healthy back and forthó
But not if heís from up north.
So I ask Dad, Why canít we ever win, ever win, once?
Go ask Dad, why you canít ever win, ever win, once.

-The Fiery Furnaces, "1917"

Banix12
10-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Yup, it says that on the back of my Chicago White Sox "1917 World Champions" coffee mug.

The Wall
10-25-2005, 01:27 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/history/postseason/mlb_ws_recaps.jsp?feature=1917

MLB official link shows Faber involved in 4 decisions.

awesomefan
10-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Banix12.....Where did you get that 1917 World Series mug? That sounds really cool.:cool:

Banix12
10-25-2005, 01:47 AM
Banix12.....Where did you get that 1917 World Series mug? That sounds really cool.:cool:
I bought it like 9 years ago at a Kohls here in Highland so I don't know if they are still available. It's a bit faded from years of use and washing so I kinda wish I had bought a couple extras. Still it has the 1917 sox symbol on the front and has the roster and the outcome of all the WS games on the back. It was produced by some company called Hunter.

EDIT: actually this got me curious if they are still making these things.

here is the website to the company that produced it with a catalog of what they produce. Hunter Manufacturing (http://www.huntermfg.com/)

And here is a link to something on amazon that claims to be a 1917 WS stein, although they show a picture of a Fighting Illini stein. amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B1LRXC/sr=1-4/qid=1130223403/ref=sr_1_4/102-9574006-4953753?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=14380921&s=sporting-goods&v=glance)

JorgeFabregas
10-25-2005, 08:47 AM
But now the Gigantics are getting the tar taken out of their pine
By my hero Red Faber and Iím ready to get rapprochement with my neighbor
As part of the healthy back and forthó
But not if heís from up north.
So I ask Dad, Why canít we ever win, ever win, once?
Go ask Dad, why you canít ever win, ever win, once.

-The Fiery Furnaces, "1917"
That's great. I never paid attention to the lyrics of that song.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 09:33 AM
October 7th, 1917.

Red Faber also tried stealing third while Buck Weaver was standing on it in Game 2.

Faber batted .058 the entire year (4 hits) and was so thrilled for his World Series single that he neglected to realize Weaver was on third. (He took second on the throw-in.)

Two out, two on, bottom of the fifth, Sox up 7-2. Faber, no speed merchant by any stretch of the imagination, took off when Giants pitcher Pol Perritt didn't even glance back at him. He went into a huge stretch and Red took off running.

Faber did a perfect slide...and looked up to see Buck Weaver still standing on third. "What the hell are you doing here?", he demanded.

After getting tagged out to end the inning, Faber replied, "Why, I'm just going out to pitch, of course."

(Source: "The Baseball Hall Of Shame 3")

TDog
10-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Christy Mathewson pitched complete-game shutouts on Oct. 9, Oct. 12 and Oct. 14 in the 1905 World Series. The Giants only used three pitchers in the five-game series, one only pitching an inning of relief. In Joe McGinnity's loss, 3-0 loss in Game 2, all of the runs would have been unearned if they had cared to make the distinction in those days. The Giants' team ERA for the series, calculated years later, would have been 0.00.

I've read that before 1920 it was a different game. This was before the ball was wound tighter and balls stayed in play when they became discolored, often with tobacco juice. Baseball players were expected to play good defense, so the no-hit, good field players vastly outnumbered the strong hitters. Pitchers didn't have to bear down against every hitter and could pace themselves.

Still, there is a reason why Red Faber, like Christy Mathewson and Joe McGinnity are in baseball's Hall of Fame.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 10:55 AM
You're right. In 1920, Commissioner Landis officially outlawed "all illegal pitches and use of foreign substances on pitched baseballs"...unless you were using them before the rule came into effect.

Ol' No. 2
10-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Christy Mathewson pitched complete-game shutouts on Oct. 9, Oct. 12 and Oct. 14 in the 1905 World Series. The Giants only used three pitchers in the five-game series, one only pitching an inning of relief. In Joe McGinnity's loss, 3-0 loss in Game 2, all of the runs would have been unearned if they had cared to make the distinction in those days. The Giants' team ERA for the series, calculated years later, would have been 0.00.

I've read that before 1920 it was a different game. This was before the ball was wound tighter and balls stayed in play when they became discolored, often with tobacco juice. Baseball players were expected to play good defense, so the no-hit, good field players vastly outnumbered the strong hitters. Pitchers didn't have to bear down against every hitter and could pace themselves.

Still, there is a reason why Red Faber, like Christy Mathewson and Joe McGinnity are in baseball's Hall of Fame.Before the white ball era it was a lot easier to get hitters out. Batting averages jumped substantially beginning in 1920, as did all offensive statistics. But I don't think the strain on the pitchers' arms was any different from what it is today. These guys pitched their arms out - and generally had much shorter careers than pitchers today.

tacosalbarojas
10-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I read this in the Tribune......

Red Faber pitched & WON game 2 for the Chicago White Sox vs New York Giants in 1917 World Series.

Red Faber pitched & LOST game 4 of 1917 World Series.

Red Faber pitched & WON in 2 innings of relief in game 5 of 1917 World Series.

Red Faber 2 days later pitched & went the distance to WIN game 6 to clinch the 1917 World Series for the Chicago White Sox.

That is WILD....What an arm....unheard of in this era of baseball today.:o:What's sad is he was hurt and couldn't pitch in '19. If he had, we might have won that series in spite of the fix.

TDog
10-26-2005, 02:45 AM
Mark Buehrle could have picked up the win Sunday and came back Tuesday to get the save. The spirit of Red Faber lives!

Theanticub
10-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Yup, it says that on the back of my Chicago White Sox "1917 World Champions" coffee mug.

Almost looks like your going to have to get a new mug....but what will it say on the bacK?