PDA

View Full Version : What does the sound mean when Iguchi comes up?

jameschu0707
10-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi guy,
What is the sound fans make when Iguchi comes up?
It sounds like "ooooo~~~~". I guess it's not booing. Anyone can tell me?

By the way, he's been very cold in postseason since that 3-run homer. The rest of team is hitting pretty well. I hope I'll see his HR again soon.
James

whitesoxwilkes
10-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi guy,

By the way, he's been very cold in postseason since that 3-run homer. The rest of team is hitting pretty well. I hope I'll see his HR again soon.
James

It's 40,000 people going "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH..."

ajtokarz
10-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi guy,

Goooooooooooch.....
as in Gooch (Iguchi)

The name Gooch was of course made popular by the television show Diffrent Strokes. The Gooch was the School Bully.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 10:59 AM
But the Gooch turned out to be a girl. :tongue:

oeo
10-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but do you think that he possibly thinks the fans are booing him? Hope not...

Jerko
10-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but do you think that he possibly thinks the fans are booing him? Hope not...

He can always ask Marte if he's not sure..........

ChiFabulous1
10-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi guy,

James

This bandwagon is full!!!!:angry:

ajtokarz
10-25-2005, 11:10 AM

Be nice...he's just asking a question. And it's a valid one. Cut the guy some slack.

oeo
10-25-2005, 11:12 AM

:?:

Freak out...who says he isn't a fan? Besides on here, I don't see him referred to as Gooch anywhere else. You're getting angry about what again? The Sox are up 2-0 in the World Series, who cares who's on the bandwagon and who's not anyway. It's going to happen anyway, get over it. I don't know about you, but the White Sox have put me in a good mood...you're pretty cranky.

ChiFabulous1
10-25-2005, 11:49 AM
:?:

Freak out...who says he isn't a fan? Besides on here, I don't see him referred to as Gooch anywhere else. You're getting angry about what again? The Sox are up 2-0 in the World Series, who cares who's on the bandwagon and who's not anyway. It's going to happen anyway, get over it. I don't know about you, but the White Sox have put me in a good mood...you're pretty cranky.

It kinda strikes a nerve when you sat in 30 degree April weather screaming gooch.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 11:52 AM
I always thought he should be "the Iguana" because that's what Iguchi kinda looks like it you see it quickly.
Pair him up with Southpaw. Instant PR gold.

oeo
10-25-2005, 11:56 AM
It kinda strikes a nerve when you sat in 30 degree April weather screaming gooch.

Why, though? Like you can really tell what the crowd is saying on TV...

Dolly
10-25-2005, 12:05 PM

That thought has occurred to me, too. I would hope that his translator would fill him in though.

BTW, I heard that "Gooch" is actually an insult in Japanese.... does anyone know for sure whether it is or not?

SOXPHILE
10-25-2005, 01:08 PM
But the Gooch turned out to be a girl. :tongue:

Yeah ! Then, didn't the Gooch totally wuss out when Arnold had Cassius Clay call him/her up ?

ElevenUp
10-25-2005, 01:28 PM
It's 40,000 people going "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH..."

I thought they were yelling "Mooookie":wink:

bennyw41
10-25-2005, 01:35 PM
http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/-/A/moleman.jpg

"I was saying Boo-urns."

HawkDJ
10-25-2005, 01:37 PM
I also wondered if Gooch thinks he's being booed. We love you Gooch!

Reminds me of the good ol days from the Bulls when they'd shout "Luuuuuuc"

skobabe8
10-25-2005, 01:59 PM
http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/-/A/moleman.jpg

"I was saying Boo-urns."

Perfect! :D:

D. TODD
10-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah ! Then, didn't the Gooch totally wuss out when Arnold had Cassius Clay call him/her up ? Cassius Clay? I had no idea Different Strokes was on in the 60's. Or did you mean Muhammed Ali!

scottjanssens
10-25-2005, 02:14 PM
BTW, I heard that "Gooch" is actually an insult in Japanese.... does anyone know for sure whether it is or not?

My Japanese friend says she's never heard the term "guch" before.

scottjanssens
10-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Cassius Clay? I had no idea Different Strokes was on in the 60's. Or did you mean Muhammed Ali!

"His mamma named him Cassius Clay, so I'm gonna call him Cassius Clay!"

mattcoz
10-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Reminds me of the good ol days from the Bulls when they'd shout "Luuuuuuc"Or the current days with the Illini when we shout "Bruuuuuce".

tifosiv122
10-25-2005, 02:32 PM

Hey, I was at the game and it sounded like Boo to me too...I even asked it in the post-game thread. All you hear are the oooo because people start the G at different times. It really sounds bad. Sorry, it's the truth.

Now, Paulie chants sound amazing...especially after a grand slam...man was the place electric.

Erik

Jerko
10-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey, I was at the game and it sounded like Boo to me too...I even asked it in the post-game thread. All you hear are the oooo because people start the G at different times. It really sounds bad. Sorry, it's the truth.

Now, Paulie chants sound amazing...especially after a grand slam...man was the place electric.

Erik

Well, the Paulie chants are deceiving as well. My whole section is saying Bal-deeee bal-deeeeeee.

SOXPHILE
10-25-2005, 02:36 PM
"His mamma named him Cassius Clay, so I'm gonna call him Cassius Clay!"

Heh heh heh...exactly ! This thread is hilarious. We've ranged from talking about what everyone's saying when Iguchi comes to bat, to a Different Stokes episode, to a line from Coming to America.

D. TODD
10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
"His mamma named him Cassius Clay, so I'm gonna call him Cassius Clay!" Hey, were you in Coming to America in the barber shop scene.

StockdaleForVeep
10-25-2005, 02:41 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/NBAPlayoffs98Images/jun3_6.jpg"Hey mates? Now dont forget me, i started that whole yellin yer first name thing, ya hear?"

Dolly
10-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Well, the Paulie chants are deceiving as well. My whole section is saying Bal-deeee bal-deeeeeee.

Speaking of hearing/saying the wrong thing, there was a guy sitting behind me at game 1, and every time someone hit a pop up he'd say, "There's some candy corn!" Even when it clearly said "Can-O-Corn" on the scoreboard! Hilarious!

antitwins13
10-26-2005, 01:12 PM

It's his first post. He who has never asked a dumb question throw the first stone, and I've asked many a dumb questions.

bobowhite
10-26-2005, 01:28 PM

I previously lived in Japan and even played some semi-pro baseball there. "Gooch" is a huge insult. PM me if you want to know what it really means. Notice that Hawk and DJ do not call him "Gooch" anymore. I got in touch with them mid-season.