PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else numb to all of this?

Jurr
10-25-2005, 12:17 AM
I am right up there with the biggest of Sox fans. Third generation...been a die hard since I knew what baseball is (around 81 that I can first remember).

I've been around this site for a long time, and I've always been one of the biggest optimists around here, bar none. When everyone was panicking this season, there were a few of us unfazed by the negativity, believing that this team had something special. However, this whole postseason thing has left me absolutely numb. It's weird.

I now realize that there is so much that goes into one special season. So many things have to go right to get through the whole damn thing, and it's been surreal. It's almost too surreal for me to comprehend.

The bulk of Sox fans have always felt a bit of a slight about everything...media coverage, fan support, EVERYTHING! There have been tons of threads on this site about lack of media coverage, lack of respect in Chicago, etc., and now it's all turned around. You look on CNN, and they're headlining the Sox. Every media center is in love with the Sox. I walk into bars in Memphis with a Juan Uribe jersey on, and I'm getting applause from numerous people. It's so strange.

Since the ALCS game with the Crede walkoff, I've been feeling somewhat numb to everything. No matter what crazy thing happens, I've had a weird calm that it was meant to be. If these outcomes occurred during the regular season in ANY SEASON, I'd be freaking out. Now, it just feels like it's just too unreal, and the unthinkable is going to happen.

We've talked on this web site about what we'd do if the Sox went to the World Series and won the thing. We'd come up with what we'd feel, similar in feel and fantasy to what we'd do if we won the Powerball. Now, it's all upon us, and it's soooooo strange.

I love this team with all of my heart. They represent us all...... a small pocket of outcasts (in fandom) that finally gets its chance to shine. I can't describe how awesome it feels. It does seem, however, like a crazy dream that I hope I don't wake up from. Does anyone else feel the same way???

GO SOX!! TWO MORE WINS!!!!!:supernana: :supernana:

Jurr
10-25-2005, 12:22 AM
With this thread..I'll give a for instance. When Konerko hit the grand slam, I got a little choked up..didn't jump up or anything..I just put my hands up and said, "Oh my God...this so figures!"

When the Vizcaino single happened, I got a little pissed, but thought, "It's still in the bag."

It's so weird. I've never felt this way about the Sox, and I wonder if anyone else has felt this way.

TDog
10-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm sort of numb to all this, and I'm in my fourth decade as a rabid Sox fan.

It's a shame, really. When it's over and I feel relaxed enough to enjoy it, there won't be any more season to enjoy.

antitwins13
10-25-2005, 12:25 AM
I keep thinking my alarm is going to go off and I'm going to wake up and go see Todd Ritchie face Eric Milton...and lose.

SouthSideHitman
10-25-2005, 12:25 AM
It's funny, but I've gotten kinda the same thing. Like the night we clinched and I realized that we were definitly going to the playoffs was like Christmas Eve, I was so excited that I could hardly sleep. But as good things keep happening and we keep getting closer and closer, I AM kinda getting numb. Like there's too much good stuff happening, and I'm not programmed to handle this, as a Sox fan. But every day I wake up and ESPN.com is nothing but Sox, the lions at the Institute are wearing out hat and everyone in Chicagoland is buying Sox merchandise by the armload. But still, I'm sure that I'm gonna remember this first world series my whole life. Let's hope that it's not my only one though, I want a dynasty. GO SOX!

Jurr
10-25-2005, 12:27 AM

It's a shame, really. When it's over and I feel relaxed enough to enjoy it, there won't be any more season to enjoy.
EXACTLY!!!!!!

It's crazy! I don't know why, but this is just too crazy to believe! I just listened to Scott Podsednik hit a walk off homer in game 2 of the World Series!! Are you kidding me???

SoxSpeed22
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
But still, I'm sure that I'm gonna remember this first world series my whole life. Let's hope that it's not my only one though, I want a dynasty. GO SOX!I damn well will! Even though I'm one of the young'uns on this site at 20 years old. I also want a dynasty!

FielderJones
10-25-2005, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't say numb, but calm. I feel I have the time to just sit back and enjoy and watch the games unfold. I have confidence in the team after watching how they've played all year.

Sunday night I was the calmest one in the room watching the game. My wife (converted Cubs fan) and her sister (Sox fan) were nervous wrecks. When the Astros went up by 2 they were saying all kinds of Dark Cloudish things, and couldn't believe how low key I was taking it. Having seen this team respond all year, I just told them that this team has enough at bats to get back into it. Sure enough, Paulie came through, and so did Pods.

It's a great feeling! I've never seen a Sox team like this.

Jurr
10-25-2005, 12:31 AM
I damn well will! Even though I'm one of the young'uns on this site at 20 years old. I also want a dynasty!
Hell, yeah! I've been on this site for a while, and we've had to stomach a lot of disappointment in this collective group. We've sat here and celebrated the signings of Bartolo Colon, Billy Koch, Carl Everett, Robbie Alomar, and the rest, thinking that we're going places. We would've been happy to win the damn division with just a dream of going to the ALCS or series! Now we're sitting here with a 2-0 lead in the World Series with two unbelievable finishes. It's just too surreal right now!

Banix12
10-25-2005, 12:35 AM
When I got up today I turned on the radio and heard the sports report to hear Podsednik hit the homerun. I watched the game and I knew he hit it, but for some reason this morning when I heard it on the news I just thought to myself, "so it really did happen."

fuzzy_patters
10-25-2005, 12:40 AM
When I got up today I turned on the radio and heard the sports report to hear Podsednik hit the homerun. I watched the game and I knew he hit it, but for some reason this morning when I heard it on the news I just thought to myself, "so it really did happen."

I am still not sure it happened. The last thing I know definitely happened was Konerko's grand slam. Everything else seemed like a strange fairy tale. I was screaming and jumping around the living room when Konerko hit the slam. On Podsednik's homerun, I just sat there in disbelief. Then, I turned to my wife and said, "they won?" When she confirmed that I did see what I thought I saw, I just sat there dumbfounded. It was just too surreal.

cheeses_h_rice
10-25-2005, 12:48 AM
I'll make a comparison: I was much more *in the moment* when the Yankees blew the lead against the D-backs in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series than I've been at any moment in any of the postseason games I've attended, except possibly the pre-game jitters before the first game against Boston. Even last night, watching Konerko hit the grand slam, Jenks blowing the 2-run lead, and Pods winning it, my emotions were calmer and freer than they were for any number of postseason games I've watched on TV over the years that haven't involved the White Sox.

It's a very weird feeling. I think it has to do with the Sox having played 10 postseason games and won 9 of them; like, I am almost emotionally tapped out, but not in a bad way. I just hope for good things, and they tend to happen. I'll probably be more pumped up for Games 3 and 4 (and 5 if needed) while watching in a bar than I was in person. I can't explain it.

That said, man am I looking forward to being able to have a normal life in a week or so. I've been running on fumes, and just haven't kept up on most aspects of my normal existence.

Jurr
10-25-2005, 12:58 AM
I'll make a comparison: I was much more *in the moment* when the Yankees blew the lead against the D-backs in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series than I've been at any moment in any of the postseason games I've attended, except possibly the pre-game jitters before the first game against Boston. Even last night, watching Konerko hit the grand slam, Jenks blowing the 2-run lead, and Pods winning it, my emotions were calmer and freer than they were for any number of postseason games I've watched on TV over the years that haven't involved the White Sox.

It's a very weird feeling. I think it has to do with the Sox having played 10 postseason games and won 9 of them; like, I am almost emotionally tapped out, but not in a bad way. I just hope for good things, and they tend to happen. I'll probably be more pumped up for Games 3 and 4 (and 5 if needed) while watching in a bar than I was in person. I can't explain it.

That said, man am I looking forward to being able to have a normal life in a week or so. I've been running on fumes, and just haven't kept up on most aspects of my normal existence.
Couldn't have said it better. Man, I hope that I see you and the others this weekend in Chicago. I've got game 6 tix, and I hope that we aren't there for it, but if they are, I can't wait to celebrate with fans like you. If not, I guess we'll all be at Grant Park. :bandance: :bandance:

jlberg27
10-25-2005, 01:00 AM
Not numb, but dumfounded. I've been a Sox fan since 1954, when I was 7 years old. I can't believe that we have actually gotten some breaks for once! I love this team, they just keep on doing what they need to do to win! When this is over and we win, WOW ,a dream come true.

elrod
10-25-2005, 01:08 AM
I don't know. I sort of waver back and forth on this. At times I think to myself, "Can this really be happening?" As a lifelong Denver Broncos fan, this happened after they won the Super Bowl against the Packers. I was so accustomed to them getting humiliated in the big game, and then they went ahead and actually won. It was like taking a huge Prozac pill, or losing your virginity. Everything just seemed, well, calmer. But then there are moments when I'm struck by how amazing it all is.

Today, for example, my wife told me about the kids in her third grade class who are wearing Sox hats and talking about the game last night. This is in Evanston/Wilmette, and they are ALL Cubs fans (with one exception). In fact, they were rooting for the Sox to lose against Boston and they kept teasing the one Sox fan in the room that the Sox were going to choke. But now they are ALL extremely excited about the Sox. One kid was recounting the whole Konerko grand slam and Podsednik home run and my wife said, "Yeah, I watched it. Did you watch it?" He said, "No", but his older brother recounted the event to him and he was just so thrilled about it. Slowly but surely, people up here in the heart of Cub country are getting excited about this White Sox team. Not as much as on the South Side, obviously, but no longer are they blowing it off or worse, rooting for the Astros. When I wear my Sox hat and put a Sox hat on my 17-month old son, random people at the Jewel in Evanston and Niles and Wilmette start saying, "Go Sox!" and start talking about the game. I don't know if these people are actual Sox fans, or just caught up in the moment. But before this week, I NEVER saw enthusiasm for the White Sox around here. For the first time since moving here in 2000, I feel like the White Sox really are Chicago's team.

FarWestChicago
10-25-2005, 01:15 AM
That said, man am I looking forward to being able to have a normal life in a week or so. I've been running on fumes, and just haven't kept up on most aspects of my normal existence.I've told my wife more than once, "I need this to be over". :smile:

Dillinger25
10-25-2005, 01:25 AM
I was at the Game yesterday. I couldn't sleep when I got back. It was overload. I went to game that A.J. hit the walkoff against the Dodgers during the season to win it, and thought it was the best baseball game I was ever at, but Game 2 was on a different level. When PK hit that slam I was out in the aisle by my seat, beer was flying, I was getting hugged by people I didn't even know. My bro next to me pulled his hammy jumping around like a fool. UNREAL. It was so loud that everyone around us said they didn't even hear the fireworks. Then Jenks came in and wiffed on the save, and the whole game was really in doubt again, until Scotty P. hit a classic Series homer. It was mayhem outside the park walking back to our car too.
And let me tell you, NO ONE left that game cause of the rain. The house was packed. I really couldn't believe it. Just like this entire season. Better than anything Sox Nation could every come up with.

Damn I love this team, damn I love baseball!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-10/20124378.jpg

13-3 in attendance.:drunken: GET ER DONE! GO SOX

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 01:35 AM
I don't know. I sort of waver back and forth on this. At times I think to myself, "Can this really be happening?" As a lifelong Denver Broncos fan, this happened after they won the Super Bowl against the Packers. I was so accustomed to them getting humiliated in the big game, and then they went ahead and actually won. It was like taking a huge Prozac pill, or losing your virginity. Everything just seemed, well, calmer. But then there are moments when I'm struck by how amazing it all is.

Today, for example, my wife told me about the kids in her third grade class who are wearing Sox hats and talking about the game last night. This is in Evanston/Wilmette, and they are ALL Cubs fans (with one exception). In fact, they were rooting for the Sox to lose against Boston and they kept teasing the one Sox fan in the room that the Sox were going to choke. But now they are ALL extremely excited about the Sox. One kid was recounting the whole Konerko grand slam and Podsednik home run and my wife said, "Yeah, I watched it. Did you watch it?" He said, "No", but his older brother recounted the event to him and he was just so thrilled about it. Slowly but surely, people up here in the heart of Cub country are getting excited about this White Sox team. Not as much as on the South Side, obviously, but no longer are they blowing it off or worse, rooting for the Astros. When I wear my Sox hat and put a Sox hat on my 17-month old son, random people at the Jewel in Evanston and Niles and Wilmette start saying, "Go Sox!" and start talking about the game. I don't know if these people are actual Sox fans, or just caught up in the moment. But before this week, I NEVER saw enthusiasm for the White Sox around here. For the first time since moving here in 2000, I feel like the White Sox really are Chicago's team.

I grew up in Evanston, and while the great majority of people there are Cubs fans, I'd say it was still 80-20 or so; among my HS friends who were into sports it was pretty much 50-50.

As for the emotion, I jumped and yelled when Konerko hit his slam and when Pods hit his HR, but more because I felt the need to than anything else. Perhaps it is because I am down here in Georgia, either watching alone or with people who don't much care or aren't fans of either team, or aren't as into sports. This whole run has made me miss home like nothing else before; and upon graduation in May I may move back [depends on where I can get a job].

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-25-2005, 01:47 AM
I was telling a friend just this afternoon that I feel kind of numb about the whole thing. I know that some day I will look back and remember what I was doing on certain days. I will associate certain memories from this magical summer with what the Sox were doing at the time. I will want to relive every moment I can. Right now, I feel so dazed and excited and nervous (though I have no reason to be nervous of course) that I haven't been enjoying the moment to the fullest. I can't wait for Game 3. Win or lose, I just want to watch the Sox do their thing and enjoy it.

I haven't been a Sox fan for as long as many people on this board (only 12 years), and I've never actually been to Chicago (my dad lived there in the '50's and early '60's), but throughout the season I am attached to this team. On days when the Sox win, I am extremely happy and I go to bed recounting the day's highlights. When they lose, I am hurt to the core. And now all of the hoping and dreaming--and pain in some cases--has finally lead to the ultimate goal. I want to hold on to this time forever.

chisox56
10-25-2005, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=FielderJones]I wouldn't say numb, but calm. I feel I have the time to just sit back and enjoy and watch the games unfold. I have confidence in the team after watching how they've played all year.

I have felt this way since after game 1 of the alds, I really can't explain it, I have waited for this my whole life and I feel joy but I don't go crazy or anything after the wins, it's weird.

elrod
10-25-2005, 02:35 AM
I grew up in Evanston, and while the great majority of people there are Cubs fans, I'd say it was still 80-20 or so; among my HS friends who were into sports it was pretty much 50-50.

As for the emotion, I jumped and yelled when Konerko hit his slam and when Pods hit his HR, but more because I felt the need to than anything else. Perhaps it is because I am down here in Georgia, either watching alone or with people who don't much care or aren't fans of either team, or aren't as into sports. This whole run has made me miss home like nothing else before; and upon graduation in May I may move back [depends on where I can get a job].

You are definitely right about people into sports siding with the Sox more than the general population here in Evanston. I play on a men's softball team and about half the players - maybe more than half - are Sox fans. Walking around Northwestern, on the other hand, you never see Sox hats. Well, until now that is. For the first time in memory, the casual observer is wearing Sox garb. It used to be only the hardcore did it. Now it's little kids and people who just don't seem to be serious baseball fans. I've also noticed that Cub hats have virtually disappeared. In fact, the only Cub hat I saw around here recently was an elderly man who looked mentally ill (there are actually a lot of mentally ill people living in a halfway-house around the corner here). I saw another man in front of the halfway house with a bright blue Cubs jacket, but then noticed he was wearing a Sox hat. Strange times.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-25-2005, 03:53 AM
You always fail to recognize the most significant moments in your life when they are actually occuring. I think it will be quite some time before any of this can sink in. I'm still looking over my shoulder wondering how far back the Indians are. I just know that I'm going to be very upset if I wake up and this was just another of my recurring dreams about the Sox playing in the World Series.

akingamongstmen
10-25-2005, 08:51 AM
I actually was driving back from Chicago as Game 2 started. I hoped that I could listen to John and Ed for awhile, but I expected to lose the radio signal after 200 miles or so. I knew good things were going to happen when I pulled into my parking space 400 MILES AWAY and still had a strong AM1000 feed (this must have been an Act of God...I'm convinced. It didn't work when I turned my car on the next morning). I ran inside just in time to see Iguchi walk. Dye got on, Konerko hit the biggest homer I've ever seen (until Scotty came up 2 innings later...) and I just went numb. Something special has happened here with this team. I don't even know how to react anymore. I sat by myself in silence as Scotty rounded the bases in the 9th. Complete, stunned silence. I guess I realized that screaming wouldn't even begin to express how I felt. I love this team...

1951Campbell
10-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Even last night, watching Konerko hit the grand slam, Jenks blowing the 2-run lead, and Pods winning it, my emotions were calmer and freer than they were for any number of postseason games I've watched on TV over the years that haven't involved the White Sox.

Somehow, I'm calmer too. It's not that I expect things like Konerko's slam or Pods' homer, but they seem so probable given how the season has played itself out.

Maximo
10-25-2005, 09:52 AM

Reminds me of a line from a Harry Chapin song entitled, "Greyhound". It concerns a young man's reflections as he takes an all night ride to somewhere on a Greyhound bus.

At the end of his journey he sums up his experience by stating, "It's got to be the going.....not the gettin' there.......that's good."

Very true words from a very great lyracist.

D. TODD
10-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Driving to game 2 was a bit surreal. I felt as if I was doing something I have done hundreds of times before while in route to the Cell. I kept thinking, no this is not a normal trip to see the Sox play the Tigers or whoever, this is a trip to see the Sox in the World Series. At times I am terribly excited about the Sox great run in the playoffs, but at times it is a bit numbing.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 10:04 AM
The thing that has me is the way JoJo Crede's been playing lately. I remember being at Opening Day and riding Joe, just riding Joe to have a good year. "C'mon, Joe, it's your time!" I kept insisting to people he's better than his batting average indicates.

Then he came back from injury and carried the team offensively at the end of the year.
I was never happier to see someone succeed.

I'm just at a loss for words.

nasox
10-25-2005, 10:48 AM

This is exactly true. I was at Game 1 and I just knew they would pull it out no matter what. I just knew Jenks would strike out Bagwell. I watched game 2 at home however and and I was much more on the edge and worried. Being at the WS game personally is a surreal experience, one that I never ever in a million YEARS thought possible.

Cheeses expresses these sentiments as best as I could. I can't explain it either. It's like I know everything will turn up roses when I'm at the park. It's just amazing.

SOXPHILE
10-25-2005, 11:09 AM
It all seems unreal to me too. The weirdest part is seeing the World Series 2005 & WS 2005 logos on their right sleeves, hats, and painted on the grass at U.S. Cellular. I was watching game 1 at 115 Bourbon Street, and when they sang the national anthem, and when the first few pitches were being thown, I kept turning to my friend and saying "We're watching the WORLD SERIES. We're watching the White Sox, and they're playing in the WORLD SERIES. Can you believe this ? We're sitting here watching the White Sox play in the World Series." I've been saving newspapers from all the games, with all the pictures and stories, as if to use them as proof, years from now, that yes ! The Sox were in the Series. See ? I have the documentation here.

34 Inch Stick
10-25-2005, 11:11 AM
I have felt like this is predestined since the Game 3 win over Lackey. The rest of the Angels series was just to memorialize an outcome that was already agreed upon.

However, as I was at Game 2 I went absolutely nuts for both Konerko and Podsednik.

ChiSoxGirl
10-25-2005, 11:17 AM

You're not kidding! I haven't slept well or enough since the Cleveland series at home in mid-September. If I haven't been at a game in the post-season, I've been making the trek from Des Plaines down to Puffers, sometimes having it take me as long as 90 minutes to get down there... and I live 25 miles away!!!

And let's not even discuss the fact that I've been staying at Puffers really late, since I want to revel in a Sox victory with my WSI friends and make the customary run down 35th St. to Grandstand! The night the Sox won the Pennant, I and the other WSIers that were there, nearly closed Puffers at 1:30a and since it was a Sunday night, I only got 2 1/2 hours of sleep and had to try and function on Monday!

This team is exhausting me physically and emotionally and I'm looking forward to them wrapping it up. But then again, this is MUCH BETTER than the alternative, isn't it?! :wink:

Flight #24
10-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Per Rick Morrissey in the Cubune this AM:

The Sox's unofficial postseason theme song is the wretched "Don't Stop Believin"' by Journey. It's not just a bad song; it's a song that doesn't reflect what's going on inside the typical Sox fan. The typical Sox fan is filled with disbelief right now. As he or she should be.

The team is not just winning, and it is not just dominating. It is doing historic things. It has won 14 of its last 15 games, dating back to the last five games of the regular season.

"Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd probably gets closer to the feelings in Chicago.

JoeyCora28
10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
... Being at the WS game personally is a surreal experience, one that I never ever in a million YEARS thought possible.

This is exactly what I was feeling Sunday. I've been to a bunch of games at the Cell, but seeing the park decked out with all the World Series logos and all, gave me the weirdest feeling. I'm still telling people that I can't believe that I attended a Sox World Series game...

cheeses_h_rice
10-25-2005, 11:35 AM
This team is exhausting me physically and emotionally and I'm looking forward to them wrapping it up. But then again, this is MUCH BETTER than the alternative, isn't it?! :wink:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17647830.jpg

"What are you talking about? Dude, I am SO having the time of my life right now!!! Going out to Hi-Tops during the week to catch 'CSI' and 'House' with my bros -- suh-weet! Plus watching all that major Big 10 football action on Saturday at Gamekeeper's with some chicks from Deloitte & Touche...awesome bay-bee! Tonight, I'm going to be playing 'Drunk Cornhole' with a couple hotties I met at Yakzee's...this freaking ROCKS!!!"

Procol Harum
10-25-2005, 11:39 AM
As an old gaffer Sox fan I too have felt a strange calmness about this whole thing--I've been nowhere near as high or low since the last weeks of the season as I might normally be during a Sox season when they were in contention--for example, I was much more tightly "involved" and wrapped-up with the Sox in other years (2000, 1993, 1983) than I am this year. In a lot of ways I feel almost outside of myself.

This doesn't mean I haven't rejoiced at the great moments or been upset when things (thankfully, temporarily) have not gone our way. It's almost like realizing (as we should--as fans) that you're a part of something bigger on which you have absolutely no control and you just have to stand back and watch it unfold. Strangely enough it makes me think of a Bible verse from 2nd Chronicles: "Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the Lord."

Baby Fisk
10-25-2005, 11:46 AM
"What are you talking about? Dude, I am SO having the time of my life right now!!! Going out to Hi-Tops during the week to catch 'CSI' and 'House' with my bros -- suh-weet! Plus watching all that major Big 10 football action on Saturday at Gamekeeper's with some chicks from Deloitte & Touche...awesome bay-bee! Tonight, I'm going to be playing 'Drunk Cornhole' with a couple hotties I met at Yakzee's...this freaking ROCKS!!!"
Damn, this tool gets around.

:)

SOXPHILE
10-25-2005, 11:54 AM
:hawk

"I LUUUUV "The Adventures of Wrigleyville Fratboy"........

tacosalbarojas
10-25-2005, 01:46 PM
I was at the Game yesterday. I couldn't sleep when I got back. It was overload. I went to game that A.J. hit the walkoff against the Dodgers during the season to win it, and thought it was the best baseball game I was ever at, but Game 2 was on a different level. When PK hit that slam I was out in the aisle by my seat, beer was flying, I was getting hugged by people I didn't even know. My bro next to me pulled his hammy jumping around like a fool. UNREAL. It was so loud that everyone around us said they didn't even hear the fireworks.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-10/20124378.jpg

13-3 in attendance.:drunken: GET ER DONE! GO SOXSo true. It's like when McPherrin asked Rowand about the crowd reaction and Aaron was like, you know what, I was so busy running on the field I couldn't even hear it. Everyone was so into their own celebration, none of the other rituals registered - not the fireworks, the Na-Na, nothing. I tell you, it's like going deaf, and you're just out of your mind hugging complete strangers, stamping that concrete floor like you never did before. I will forget Sunday night and being there in that park for that game as long as I live!

hawkjt
10-25-2005, 02:33 PM
It 's almost like the players are feeling the same way ever since they clinched. A confident calmness has spread from the players to the fans.

For me it is like an out of body experience when Paulie and Pods hit those homers. I was screaming but did not hear anything.

Later that nite I remember going toward my bedroom but woke up laying on the kitchen floor. Never happened to me before. I actually thought about maybe the whole thing was a dream or an alien abduction in which they played out my fantasies somehow and had now returned me to my earthly home.

Bottom line is that I never want this season to end. It will be over next week and I will be out wandering around waiting for the next game. As Phil Jackson always said '' Enjoy the journey , not the end.''

Layla
10-25-2005, 02:38 PM
You always fail to recognize the most significant moments in your life when they are actually occuring. I think it will be quite some time before any of this can sink in.

If this isn't the truth.

As for me, the past three weeks have been filled with events I never thought would happen. But they did.

I'm just starting to savor every blessed minute of these weeks.

TaylorStSox
10-25-2005, 02:38 PM
I am right up there with the biggest of Sox fans. Third generation...been a die hard since I knew what baseball is (around 81 that I can first remember).

I've been around this site for a long time, and I've always been one of the biggest optimists around here, bar none. When everyone was panicking this season, there were a few of us unfazed by the negativity, believing that this team had something special. However, this whole postseason thing has left me absolutely numb. It's weird.

I now realize that there is so much that goes into one special season. So many things have to go right to get through the whole damn thing, and it's been surreal. It's almost too surreal for me to comprehend.

The bulk of Sox fans have always felt a bit of a slight about everything...media coverage, fan support, EVERYTHING! There have been tons of threads on this site about lack of media coverage, lack of respect in Chicago, etc., and now it's all turned around. You look on CNN, and they're headlining the Sox. Every media center is in love with the Sox. I walk into bars in Memphis with a Juan Uribe jersey on, and I'm getting applause from numerous people. It's so strange.

Since the ALCS game with the Crede walkoff, I've been feeling somewhat numb to everything. No matter what crazy thing happens, I've had a weird calm that it was meant to be. If these outcomes occurred during the regular season in ANY SEASON, I'd be freaking out. Now, it just feels like it's just too unreal, and the unthinkable is going to happen.

We've talked on this web site about what we'd do if the Sox went to the World Series and won the thing. We'd come up with what we'd feel, similar in feel and fantasy to what we'd do if we won the Powerball. Now, it's all upon us, and it's soooooo strange.

I love this team with all of my heart. They represent us all...... a small pocket of outcasts (in fandom) that finally gets its chance to shine. I can't describe how awesome it feels. It does seem, however, like a crazy dream that I hope I don't wake up from. Does anyone else feel the same way???

GO SOX!! TWO MORE WINS!!!!!:supernana: :supernana:

I feel exactly the same way. The best word I can use to describe it is surreal. I don't think it will set in for a few weeks.

HawkDJ
10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
This is a feeling I've never felt before with the Sox. When the Stros kept coming back to tie it in games 1 and 2, I just sat there and thought, whatever we'll still pull it out. When we blew the lead in the top of the 9th I was just thinking ok so we'll just have a walkoff win now. Normally I should be thinking Holy Hell we just blew a lead in the top of the 9th in the freakin World Series and freaking out, but there was none of that. I've never had this level of confidence with this team.

OH!foracold1
10-25-2005, 03:11 PM
All of you hit the nail in the head. Itís hard to explain. Iíd be going nuts during the regular season and now Iím like numb. Donít get me wrong, Iím still very excited and nervous but itís like Iím walking around on cloud nine. Iím really getting drained. Most games we entertain at least 12 to15 people which most of them are Brewer fans but I believe are just happy for me and my son. (and they also like to party) My question is: After the WS is finished, will it really hit us? Will we be depressed when it is over because weíre on such a high right now and it went so fast and didnít realize what just happened? Itís going to be awesome, thatís for sure. After the WS is finished Iím going to transfer all the highlights and fan reactions to DVD and sit down with a cold one :gulp: and just savor this phenomenon. I only wish Pops were here to enjoy it. I have his picture on the table in front of the TV and we havenít lost yet since I placed it there. At least Iím able to enjoy it with my Son and the rest of the fam. What an awesome experience!

Layla
10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
All of you hit the nail in the head. Itís hard to explain. Iíd be going nuts during the regular season and now Iím like numb. Donít get me wrong, Iím still very excited and nervous but itís like Iím walking around on cloud nine. Iím really getting drained. Most games we entertain at least 12 to15 people which most of them are Brewer fans but I believe are just happy for me and my son. (and they also like to party) My question is: After the WS is finished, will it really hit us? Will we be depressed when it is over because weíre on such a high right now and it went so fast and didnít realize what just happened? Itís going to be awesome, thatís for sure. After the WS is finished Iím going to transfer all the highlights and fan reactions to DVD and sit down with a cold one :gulp: and just savor this phenomenon. I only wish Pops were here to enjoy it. I have his picture on the table in front of the TV and we havenít lost yet since I placed it there. At least Iím able to enjoy it with my Son and the rest of the fam. What an awesome experience!

I keep thinking that when January sets in, and we haven't seen the sun for weeks, and the mercury is trying to hit 15 degrees, and we need something to get happy about we are all going to look back at this and have great big smiles on our faces.:D:

gaelhound
10-25-2005, 08:23 PM
I turn on the TV in the bed room after waking for no reason to watch the crawl go by with the game 2 final so I could fall back to sleep!!:o:

sox_fan_forever
10-25-2005, 08:33 PM
I have been so calm all October. Never in my life have I been this calm while watching Sox games. I've gotten way more worked up for April games. I just have this peace and calmness about this team though. They are going to win. That's not a hope, it's a fact. I just know it. I knew it the other night when the Astros came back and tied the game. It did not bother me at all. I knew the Sox would still win.

soxjim
10-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Co workers told me yesterday I have been walking around smiling for the past 2 weeks. Not bad for someone who has been averaging 4 hours of sleep.

Sad
10-26-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm numb after crashing at 2:15 & getting up at 6 :o:
tomorrow ain't gonna be no better :tongue:

it's Destiny... plain & simple.

The_Floridian
10-26-2005, 09:39 AM
I woke up today thinking..."Man, what about Buehrle? I mean, he's got a sore arm right? How do we get him ready for the NEXT SERIES?"

This reminds me of how I used to wake up in a panic that I was late for class or had missed an assignment six months after I finished college.

I need help.

:gulp:

Argalarga
10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
One game away...and I feel totally numb. I feel removed from it all, like it's happening to someone else. I've rooted for this team since I was seven years old, and now we're one game away and I just can't seem to enjoy it as much as I should be. Maybe it's because I'm in LA and there aren't a ton of Sox fans out here, or because I've had to work almost every day of the playoffs and I'm almost always missing the start of the games. Or it's that Chicago mentallity of disaster always being one pitch away. I guess I saw what happened to the Cubs in '03 and vowed I'd never get too excited about a team just to have them rip my heart out, because it crushed the Cubs fans I know. I don't know why, but none of this feels real.

It just doesn't feel like it's actually happening. Maybe once we win, I'll be able to let go. But something is holding me back from enjoying this to the fullest, and I don't know what it is.

Sox of White
10-26-2005, 02:38 PM
We all cannot believe this is real. I know I'll be sitting here and think, wow we are in the World Series? Yes we are. Wait are we? Oh yeah, we are... and so on.

Hopefully tonight at the United Center I will realize how real it is.

socaljeff
10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
I can totally relate to what you're saying. Like you, I've been rooting like crazy for the Sox since I was 7, and I am definitely "numb" to what's taking place. I can't believe it's actually happening to US!! I feel as if I'm on the outside looking in.

By the way, where are you watching game #4 tonight?? Let me know if you know of a White Sox gathering place.

socaljeff

Iwritecode
10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Give your heart to the team and just hope they give it back in one piece. :cool:

mike squires
10-26-2005, 02:53 PM
I totally hear what you are saying and I've actually had more than one thread about how I've been feeling as of late. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this and I'm so happy we are finally "there" but I don't have the feeling I thought I would. I guess that is what father hood and age does to you. I'm keping things more in perspective. I did go out and watch the series in a public place for the first time and I found myself more into it but I'm just not that 20 sopme year old anymore with tears in my eyes after an emotional win. I hope nothings wrong with me. :)

PandaSox
10-26-2005, 02:54 PM
I relate...totally! I cannot believe it's really happening! It's never happened in my LIFE...and it's so weird that it is now...amazing! But, that's OK...cuz it IS happening...whether it sinks in quickly or not...it's for REAL! That's the BEST part about it!

crazyozzie02
10-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Amen Brother. You took the words right out of my mouth by posting this.

daveeym
10-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Because I expected this. :cool:

MeteorsSox4367
10-26-2005, 03:10 PM
I agree with everyone who has said how this is kinda surreal. It seems like every year when I was watching the World Series, I always wondered how it would feel when my team made it and even moreso, won it. I was jealous watching people like Billy Crystal celebrate when his Yankees won.

Now it's our turn. Our Sox are one - ONE - win away from winning the Series. As I told my Dad when the Sox won the pennant, I was in shock looking at the graphic that said "Chicago White Sox - 2005 American League Champions."

I think this quote from one of Kass' columns in the Cubune sums it all up perfectly:

"Please don't miss this. Don't cheat yourself by trying to protect your hearts. There is no protection. There never was."

Hopefully about 10:30 tonight, one of the hopes I've had in my heart for the last 30-plus years comes true.

Go Sox!!

OH!foracold1
10-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Could we have this feeling because the Sox are bulldozing through the playoffs? That it shouldn't be this easy? I don't know. :dunno:
It reminds me when "Da Bearz" won the Superbowl in 85. It's almost the same feeling. The Bears also plowed through the playoff. But this is awesome and it will only get better. Enjoy it WSI'ers! I know I will. :gulp:

hula
10-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Hope you don't mind a newbie posting... I've been a Sox fan for 44 years (since the age of 4). We lived and breathed it when I was in grade school, unusual for girls back in the late 60's and early 70's. I've had a hard time grasping this too after so many years growing up disappointed and wanting it so badly. All week I've been going back to those memories, remembering the conversations I'd have with my best friend who played ball with me in the alley on the south side.....

I think last night it finally started to hit me - it's real - we're there, we're finally there. I wish I knew where I could find this old friend to talk with her now and celebrate, but I haven't a clue. So there's this board - you guys - and I'm so grateful there's a place to talk about this with others. I now live states away from Chicago and I'm trying to find Sox fans to watch the game with tonight - strangers, but not, just like at the ballpark. I gotta get into this before it's over, it's been a lifelong dream and I want to enjoy it for all I can.... it'll hit you, I promise!

jmcts
10-26-2005, 03:14 PM

Yes I do, exactly. Well said.

TomBradley72
10-26-2005, 03:26 PM
During game 5 of the ALCS....as Crede batted (just before he bounced the single up the middle)...normally I would have been freaking out....but this complete calm came over me just before he hit the single. Ever since then....I've just been sitting back and enjoying the ride. Went to Games 1 and 2 of the WS...stayed up util 2am last night...so sleep deprivation might have something to do with it...but I know I cannot absorb this whole thing as it happens.

It's a completely surreal event....probably won't be until Opening Day next year before the complete reality sets in.