PDA

View Full Version : Winning in Houston

Viva Medias B's
10-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Obviously, we'll have our work cut out for us during the [let's hope no more than two] games in Houston. Some people think Roy Oswalt will shut us down. Some people think we'll have a hard time with the crowd noise. I think we can win in Houston, even tomorrow night.

First of all, we have done rather well in hostile environments all season long. Except for Oakland, I would say that we did rather well in places like Minnesota, Anaheim, Cleveland, Boston, and New York. We have the MLB's best road record for a reason.

Second, I think a number of our right handed hitters are capable of turning the Crawford boxes into a home field disadvantage for the Astros. Paul Konerko, Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, Aaron Rowand, and Jermaine Dye have the potential to make life difficult for the Houston fans.

What we have to do in Houston is take advantage of opportunities afforded to us. In Game 1 and Game 2, we did have some situations where we could have gotten runs but failed to do so. Obviously, per our victories in both of those games, these missed situations became moot. However, I think all of us would like to see the Sox hit more in the clutch.

Finally, the other thing we have going for us is our resiliency. Throughout the playoffs, we have overcome virtually every adverse situation we faced. If nothing else, that is the one thing that has gotten us where we are and will get us, we hope and suspect, all the way.

MarySwiss
10-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Obviously, we'll have our work cut out for us during the [let's hope no more than two] games in Houston. Some people think Roy Oswalt will shut us down. Some people think we'll have a hard time with the crowd noise. I think we can win in Houston, even tomorrow night.

First of all, we have done rather well in hostile environments all season long. Except for Oakland, I would say that we did rather well in places like Minnesota, Anaheim, Cleveland, Boston, and New York. We have the MLB's best road record for a reason.

Second, I think a number of our right handed hitters are capable of turning the Crawford boxes into a home field disadvantage for the Astros. Paul Konerko, Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, Aaron Rowand, and Jermaine Dye have the potential to make life difficult for the Houston fans.

What we have to do in Houston is take advantage of opportunities afforded to us. In Game 1 and Game 2, we did have some situations where we could have gotten runs but failed to do so. Obviously, per our victories in both of those games, these missed situations became moot. However, I think all of us would like to see the Sox hit more in the clutch.

Finally, the other thing we have going for us is our resiliency. Throughout the playoffs, we have overcome virtually every adverse situation we faced. If nothing else, that is the one thing that has gotten us where we are and will get us, we hope and suspect, all the way.

You talk sense, and I could not agree more! I keep hearing about the Astros' regular season home record. What about our regular season road record? And they are 4-1 at home during the postseason. Whoopee-doo, so are we. But we are also 4-0 on the road during the postseason.

What it is, it is. But I think we will launch Oswalt tomorrow. Sox in 4. And if they do manage to steal a win, 5.

elrod
10-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Boston had a better home record than Houston (54-27 vs. 53-28). And our road record was 52-29, so we don't exactly wilt as the visiting team. Still, Houston is a tough place to play in the post-season. And Oswalt was 12-2 at home this year.

seanpmurphy
10-24-2005, 09:04 PM

Some people thought we'd finish 4th in the division. :rolleyes:
Some people thought we'd lose steam during the season.:rolleyes:
Some people thought we would choke in late September. :rolleyes:
Nobody thought we'd be in the World Series 2-0 at this point.

I say we listen to "Nobody" instead of "Some People" :tongue:

batmanZoSo
10-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Even though we won the two games, I've seen better performances from our side. You have to give Houston's pitching staff some credit for not letting the games get out of hand, but I would definitely want to see us get it done if we were to have Oswalt and especially Backe on the ropes. Our starting pitching has done just enough to win, but I hope Garland has something better up his sleeve tomorrow night than what Buehrle and Contreras did in the previous two. It was just nasty cold and then rainy for Game 2. I'm sure that had plenty to do with the sloppiness of the two games. I'd bet these two or three games will be played much more tightly on both sides.

I'm not dwelling on anything because they did what they needed to do and are up 2-0. But I'd rather they not tempt the gods any further by trying to win games in such improbable fashion (you know, striking out the side while stranding a runner at third/Podsednik hitting a walk-off against the best closer in the NL, etc). Just dominate like in LA. Anyone else call for a three-run first inning bomb of Oswalt tomorrow night and a 4 hit CG from Big Jon? :cool:

SoxFan76
10-24-2005, 09:40 PM
As much as I want the White Sox to sweep, let's just say I wouldn't mind if they won on Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday. If it goes to Thursday, I'm going to Beverly to celebrate with the crazies. That would be fun.

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 09:41 PM
IMO, the Sox match up well against Oswalt. It's soft-tossers that give the Sox fits. They don't really have to beat him - they just need to stay in the game and beat their bullpen. As long as they don't get saucer-eyes looking at those Crawford boxes, they'll be fine.

Dan H
10-24-2005, 09:49 PM
The only thing that worries me about playing in Houston is facing Oswalt. That will be a tough game to win. But remember how everyone worried about playing on the West Coast? That didn't seem to be a problem.

Regardless, every game is going to be tight. No routs for either side. But I think the Sox are approaching the game in the right way. It is very possible the Series won't return to Chicago.

Daver
10-24-2005, 09:50 PM
The Sox have pounded out 22 hits against Astro pitching so far, I like their chances.

Brian26
10-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Some people think we'll have a hard time with the crowd noise.

Just my personal opinion, but this is the most overrated theory in modern baseball. I can see how crowd noise plays havoc with quarterbacks in football and how it could possibly ice a guy at the foul line in college basketball, but in baseball, I just don't think it matters one bit. If you're pitching or at the plate, does crowd noise effect you one way or another? If you're in the visiting team's house, you just pretend like they're cheering for you...you get the same adrenaline rush at the home team....if you even hear it at all.

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Just my personal opinion, but this is the most overrated theory in modern baseball. I can see how crowd noise plays havoc with quarterbacks in football and how it could possibly ice a guy at the foul line in college basketball, but in baseball, I just don't think it matters one bit. If you're pitching or at the plate, does crowd noise effect you one way or another? If you're in the visiting team's house, you just pretend like they're cheering for you...you get the same adrenaline rush at the home team....if you even hear it at all.Albert Pujols found a very effective solution for this problem.:D:

kevin57
10-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Just my personal opinion, but this is the most overrated theory in modern baseball. I can see how crowd noise plays havoc with quarterbacks in football and how it could possibly ice a guy at the foul line in college basketball, but in baseball, I just don't think it matters one bit. If you're pitching or at the plate, does crowd noise effect you one way or another? If you're in the visiting team's house, you just pretend like they're cheering for you...you get the same adrenaline rush at the home team....if you even hear it at all.

I'd like to agree, but I saw a stat about how much better the Strohs play with the roof is shut than when it's open. Now, that could be because of the usually harsher Houston weather when it's open, but at least the management thinks the more intense crowd noise helps their home boys.

TDog
10-24-2005, 10:57 PM
I'd like to agree, but I saw a stat about how much better the Strohs play with the roof is shut than when it's open. Now, that could be because of the usually harsher Houston weather when it's open, but at least the management thinks the more intense crowd noise helps their home boys.

The games with the roof open were almost exclusively at the beginning of the season when the Astros were playing bad (15-30 after 45 games) baseball. I don't believe there was a representative sampling.

But I'm the Sox fan who posted last week that I thought this series was a toss-up.

Brian26
10-24-2005, 11:03 PM
I'd like to agree, but I saw a stat about how much better the Strohs play with the roof is shut than when it's open.

The stat has no basis though. What I'm trying to identify is the reason why noise would supposedly help one baseball team versus another. The only real example that comes to mind is the Minnesota Twins World Series winners in '87 and '91, and that seems to be more of an anomaly than anything else. As No. 2 pointed out, Pujols was able to shut the crowd up pretty quickly- but that's a perfect example of a guy at the plate that was totally uneffected by the crowd noise.

Most guys I've heard interviewed say they don't even hear the crowd when they're at the plate.

cleanwsox
10-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Crowds cheer loud when their pitcher needs a big out. Crowds cheer loud when their hitter needs a big hit. This isn't football where a team needs their home crowd to be quiet during their offensive series. Basically, it's the World Series and it will be loud no matter what happens. I don't think it matters if the roof is open or not, it's gonna be loud throughout the whole game.

Half Cocked Jack
10-24-2005, 11:09 PM
I was at the game where Pierzynski stepped on Boone's back. In that game, when the crowd got loud and noisy, it seemed to unnerve the Indians players a bit when they were in the field (they made some errors, shaky plays, etc.)

I think it does have an effect, if you're doubting yourself already and the opposition crowd starts getting loud, its a psychological weapon. However, I don't think the Sox will be bothered by any of this. Maybe if we were down 0-2.