PDA

View Full Version : Robin Ventura Turns Down Pirates Coaching Job

Brian26
10-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere, so I thought I'd mention it. Jim Tracy asked Robin to be a coach with him in Pittsburgh, and Ventura declined.

Possible bench coach for the Sox someday? You never know :D:

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere, so I thought I'd mention it. Jim Tracy asked Robin to be a coach with him in Pittsburgh, and Ventura declined.

I'd rather have him as the hitting instructor. I know that if it ain't broke you shouldn't fix it and I'm not suggesting we fire Walker, but I will point out that the Sox didn't have one starter hitting over .300. Does it matter? No, because we can manufacture runs better than any other club out there, but if the team goes south they may want to look into Ventura as a hitting coach.

mike squires
10-24-2005, 07:37 PM
He's gotta talk more than Harold. I would think this would be Baines' last year. If I recall, he didn't particularly find this job as satisfying as he thought it would be but Guillen convinced him to stay. (he's good at convincing, that's how he got his job!) I think Ventura could certinaly manage someday.

Daver
10-24-2005, 07:49 PM

They should hire him to keep Harold awake during games.

PorkChopExpress
10-25-2005, 09:42 AM
I'd rather have him as the hitting instructor. I know that if it ain't broke you shouldn't fix it and I'm not suggesting we fire Walker, but I will point out that the Sox didn't have one starter hitting over .300. Does it matter? No, because we can manufacture runs better than any other club out there, but if the team goes south they may want to look into Ventura as a hitting coach.

Maybe they should hire him in a very specialized role - teach the guys to hit with bases loaded. Doesn't Ventura have some ungodly number of grand slams in his career?

tifosiv122
10-25-2005, 09:43 AM
I would love to see Ventura in a Sox uniform again...in almost any capacity except Manager...Ozzie has a home as long as he wants it.

Erik

chisoxfan23
10-25-2005, 09:55 AM
He's gotta talk more than Harold. I would think this would be Baines' last year. If I recall, he didn't particularly find this job as satisfying as he thought it would be but Guillen convinced him to stay. (he's good at convincing, that's how he got his job!) I think Ventura could certinaly manage someday.

did you guys see when paulie hit that grand slam the other night, they showed harold and it didn't look like he even cared, nothing phases him.

slavko
10-25-2005, 09:56 AM
IIRC, he never reached his college potential as a MLB hitter. Didn't he go like 1 for 42 when he started out in the bigs because the club was converting him to the "Charlie Lau" method? He may never have recoved fully.

But he does look alert.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 10:30 AM

:LTP

"I hit .414 this season. Move over, Ted!"

One thing I never understood: Why do people hire hitting instructors who had trouble batting their own weight during their career?

Just a thought, I'm not ripping on anybody. Just strikes me as odd. You know, like the worse you are as a player, the better a manager you'd be. One of those weird baseball quirks.

doublem23
10-25-2005, 10:34 AM
One thing I never understood: Why do people hire hitting instructors who had trouble batting their own weight during their career?

Just a thought, I'm not ripping on anybody. Just strikes me as odd. You know, like the worse you are as a player, the better a manager you'd be. One of those weird baseball quirks.

Probably because you heard every bit of advice, nugget of wisdom, and then some, from the baseball body of knowledge. Good hitters never get good advice.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2005, 10:37 AM
There were stories in the Chicago papers asking about Ventura when the Sox had an opening this past off season. He was quoted as saying not now... for the immediate future he said he wants to stay in So. California with his family. This was reinforced when he told the White Sox he had no interest in auditioning for the White Sox radio opening.

Lip

veeter
10-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Yeah, Ventura seems to be totally disinterested in leaving home. I don't want anyone coaching who isn't 100% into his work. I love Robin, but I don't think he'll ever coach.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Probably because you heard every bit of advice, nugget of wisdom, and then some, from the baseball body of knowledge. Good hitters never get good advice.

Thank you for that response. That does make sense. My apologies if I seem like a knuckle-head.

maurice
10-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Didn't he go like 1 for 42 when he started out in the bigs because the club was converting him to the "Charlie Lau" method?

No.

gobears1987
10-26-2005, 03:27 PM
:LTP

"I hit .414 this season. Move over, Ted!"

Just a thought, I'm not ripping on anybody. Just strikes me as odd. You know, like the worse you are as a player, the better a manager you'd be. One of those weird baseball quirks.Cooper wasn't a great pitcher in his career and look how good of a coach he is.

DaleJRFan
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM

I work at a University in the IT shop and one of the sayings popular around here about the IT professors is "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."
I'm sure this applies to sports instruction as well. You may understand the fundamentals and are able to analyze a swing down to single muscle actions... but that doesn't mean you can actually do it.

Same thing goes for golf instructors. David Leadbetter is the best golf instructor on earth and has coached some of the world's best golfers, but why isn't he tearing up the tour?? Because he may not have the mental makeup or raw physical talent to be a great golfer, but he can break down a golf swing like no one's business...

Tekijawa
10-26-2005, 03:45 PM

Because the guys who hit .400 are signing baseballs at card shows for $250 a pop! Why deal with the pressure when you can sit on your *** all day and be worshiped and make better money?

Coolpapa
10-27-2005, 02:28 AM

Bad hitters know what they do wrong, know their limitations and seem to be able to communicate that well to others.

chaz171
10-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Cooper wasn't a great pitcher in his career and look how good of a coach he is.

Very few coaches had exceptional playing careers