PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a record?

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but if the Sox win the next two games in Houston then they will have gone the whole playoffs without losing an away game. Has a team accomplished this since the current playoff set-up was enacted?

SoxFan76
10-24-2005, 07:14 PM
I couldn't tell you, but let's again just ASSUME they sweep the series, their post season record would be 11-1!

slobes
10-24-2005, 07:14 PM
One year, i think 2000, the Yankees went 11-1 throughout the postseason. I'm not sure if they lost at home or away though.

elrod
10-24-2005, 07:24 PM
The 1999 Yankees lost a game in Boston in the ALCS. They went 11-1 in the post-season. The only team to go undefeated was the 1976 Reds, who went 3-0 against the Phillies and 4-0 against the Yankees. In Game Three of the NLCS, the Phils had a 6-4 lead in the 9th. But George Foster and Johnny Bench homered back-to-back to lead off, followed by a single, walk, sac bunt, walk and a winning single. Total bullpen collapse by the Phillies. In Game Two of the World Series, the Reds scored an unearned run in the 9th to win 4-3. No other game was close. It was the most dominant post-season performance since divisional play began.

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 07:26 PM
The 1999 Yankees lost a game in Boston in the ALCS. They went 11-1 in the post-season. The only team to go undefeated was the 1976 Reds, who went 3-0 against the Phillies and 4-0 against the Yankees. In Game Three of the NLCS, the Phils had a 6-4 lead in the 9th. But George Foster and Johnny Bench homered back-to-back to lead off, followed by a single, walk, sac bunt, walk and a winning single. Total bullpen collapse by the Phillies. In Game Two of the World Series, the Reds scored an unearned run in the 9th to win 4-3. No other game was close. It was the most dominant post-season performance since divisional play began.

Then due to the fact the Spanks lost at Fenway Park we can deduct that it would be a new record if the Sox won the next two games.

Johnny Mostil
10-24-2005, 07:26 PM
One year, i think 2000, the Yankees went 11-1 throughout the postseason. I'm not sure if they lost at home or away though.

'00 Yanks went 11-5 in postseason.

'99 Yanks went 11-1, losing Game 3 of ALCS in Boston. That appears to be the best postseason record in the current format.

Brian26
10-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Pinch yourself. Is it surreal we're even ****ing talking about this?

Unbelievable.

:bandance:

elrod
10-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Actually, the 1996 Yankees won every road game too. They won 2 in Texas in the ALDS, all three in Baltimore in the ALCS, and all three in Atlanta for the World Series.

IronFisk
10-24-2005, 08:44 PM
mmmm, didn't the BULLS only lose one game in their 1991 title run?

Coincidence? I THINK NOT! :rolleyes:

Blueprint1
10-24-2005, 08:48 PM
mmmm, didn't the BULLS only lose one game in their 1991 title run?

Coincidence? I THINK NOT! :rolleyes:

I think they lost a game to the 76ers and a game to LA

batmanZoSo
10-24-2005, 09:20 PM
This team reminds me of the 90s Yanks teams. Four great starters, great bullpen, great defense, timely hit after timely hit, no superstars (talent-wise anyway, if you go by looks and overall celebrity, then I guess Jeter is one :rolleyes:).

I remember how frustrating it was watching the other teams come close, but the Yankees always having that clutch solo homer from somebody unexpected when they needed it, whether it be Scott Brosius or Shane Spencer (or, comparitively, Crede and Podsednik on our side). No matter who was up, that player would find a way to get it done. They never made a mistake, ever. At least not one that would cost them the game. If their bullpen surrendered the lead, they'd immediately be bailed out. And gold help you if you gave them an extra out. If they got a break, they'd go for the throat. You just couldn't beat them but maybe once in a series if you were lucky. Phil Garner said "the White Sox can't do anything wrong." He's right. This team always has an answer.

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 01:03 AM
I think they lost a game to the 76ers and a game to LA

You, sir, are correct. They never went 15-1 in the playoffs, as 1991 was the only year they won the NBA Finals in 5; each year after that they won in 6.

As for baseball, recent teams to win the playoffs with just one loss were the 1999 Yankees, at Boston as elrod said.

In 1989 the A's beat Toronto in five in the ALCS [the loss was in Toronto], then swept San Francisco in the Series.

In 1984 the Tigers beat the Royals in three in the ALCS, then beat the Padres in five in the Series, the lone loss coming in San Diego.

The 1976 Reds swept the Phillies and then the Yankees, to be the first team in the division era to sweep both rounds.

The 1970 Orioles swept the Twins in the ALCS, then beat the Reds in five to win the Series, the sole loss coming in Baltimore.

The 1969 Mets swept the Braves in the NLCS, then beat Baltimore in five games, the sole loss coming in Baltimore.

Thanks to basketball-reference.com and baseball-reference.com

elrod
10-25-2005, 01:27 AM
All this said, winning the next two in Houston is a very tall order. Roy Oswalt is no slouch. Houston is very tough at home. And they are a very resilient ballclub. There was no indication that they were deflated after Pods' home run, just as they were upbeat after the Pujols dinger. The Astros are a very even-keeled team, as they showed in the 9th inning against Jenks. Garland has to be on his game, and we have to take advantage of every situation we get.

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 01:30 AM
All this said, winning the next two in Houston is a very tall order. Roy Oswalt is no slouch. Houston is very tough at home. And they are a very resilient ballclub. There was no indication that they were deflated after Pods' home run, just as they were upbeat after the Pujols dinger. The Astros are a very even-keeled team, as they showed in the 9th inning against Jenks. Garland has to be on his game, and we have to take advantage of every situation we get.

Yeah, I'm not saying we're going to sweep, just looking back on history is always interesting.