PDA

View Full Version : White Sox kill grandmother

SaltyPretzel
10-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Did anyone catch the story on the Channel 5 news at 6:00? There was a 68 year old White Sox hating, die-hard Cub fan grandmother who told her son that if the Sox made it to the World Series, it would be the death of her. Sure enough, she died 2 days after the Sox won the pennant. They interviewed her granddaugher and she said half-jokingly, "The Sox killed my grandma."

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure what to say to this. I guess speechless would be the phrase I'm going for here.

Dan Mega
10-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Well, I'm sorry she died, but that is completely classless to make something out of nothing.

Oh wait I forgot, all the Chicago media is unbiased when both teams are taken into consideration.

SaltyPretzel
10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
It was a pretty lighthearted story.

mrs. hendu
10-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Did anyone catch the story on the Channel 5 news at 6:00? There was a 68 year old White Sox hating, die-hard Cub fan grandmother who told her son that if the Sox made it to the World Series, it would be the death of her. Sure enough, she died 2 days after the Sox won the pennant. They interviewed her granddaugher and she said half-jokingly, "The Sox killed my grandma."

I saw that...
That's what happens when you let negative emotions take over.

chisoxmike
10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
:knue
"YES!!!!!! Journalism GOLD!"

Hitmen77
10-24-2005, 07:58 PM
That story is impossible. After all, it's only Sox fans that are all Cub-haters. Cub fans do not obsess over the Sox.

Not that I want to make light of someone's death. Sounds like a pretty tasteless story.

Uncle_Patrick
10-24-2005, 08:05 PM
:moron

"Classless White Sox Fans Make Light Of Grandmother's Death. Looks like I've got the subject for tomorrow's column."

Wsoxmike59
10-24-2005, 08:13 PM
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_297185308.html

It's true. Soxwon emailed me this morning about it, he heard it on WBBM newsradio 78 on his way in to work this morning.

It reminded me of a story Peter Golenbock wrote about in his book "BUMS" about the Brooklyn Dodgers....some guy said his grandpa was watching the 1951 playoff game vs the Giants and when Ralph Branca gave up the HR to Bobby Thomson his grandpa pounded on the TV set and called Branca a no good <insert derogatory term for Italian person> S.O.B. and promptly dropped dead of a heart attack right in the living room (ironic) he was so pissed off!

Now that's what I call a die hard fan!! :D:

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Now that's what I call a die hard fan!! :D:

Dontcha mean "die-easy"? :o:

MarySwiss
10-24-2005, 08:43 PM

It's true. Soxwon emailed me this morning about it, he heard it on WBBM newsradio 78 on his way in to work this morning. :D:

Interesting! And what interested me the most is the description of the grandma as "this hard-talking, hard-living Irish broad." That also describes MY grandma, Helen Morris Boyd, who died more than 30 years ago.

She was a lifelong Sox fan, and I paid tribute to her in a Sound Off on this site:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=6&id=2894

But, hey! She was a Sox fan. So her family need not whine, because we're sure she is up there right now, high-fiving Little Looie and Little Nell. And slapping silly anyone who would even suggest that her Sox could lose.

You go, Grandma!!

Johnny Mostil
10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
It was a pretty lighthearted story.

I suppose so, but I wouldn't want myself or anybody I know to be most remembered for "hating" a sports team (Cubs/Sox/whomever). Was this woman known for anything else?

OTOH, I was amused by the obit of a Cubs fan earlier this year whose family requested funds for relief pitching. (I'm sorry that I can't recall more details.) There's a difference (at least to me) between the two that I can't express well . . .

slavko
10-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Interesting! And what interested me the most is the description of the grandma as "this hard-talking, hard-living Irish broad." That also describes MY grandma, Helen Morris Boyd, who died more than 30 years ago.

She was a lifelong Sox fan, and I paid tribute to her in a Sound Off on this site:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=6&id=2894

But, hey! She was a Sox fan. So her family need not whine, because we're sure she is up there right now, high-fiving Little Looie and Little Nell. And slapping silly anyone who would even suggest that her Sox could lose.

You go, Grandma!!

Little Looie would be surprised to hear that because he threw out the first pitch at Game 1 of the WS.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
I mentioned on this site a few times about my dad, a life-long White Sox/Packers fan from Wisconsin, passing away October 3rd, a couple of hours before the Green Bay-Carolina MNF game. I did make a light-hearted attempt at humor which got a smile from my brother:

"Look at it this way - at least he didn't have to see the Packers lose again."

I don't look at it as classless, and my family doesn't either. He would have got a laugh out of it...after pulling him away from Ray Nitschke long enough to tell it to him. :smile:

palehozenychicty
10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
If you thought that bad taste wasn't always the norm, here is some more. Guess that WBBM couldn't help themselves.

gosox83
10-25-2005, 03:25 PM
A student in my class was telling me about this!!!

Unbelievable.

I thought Sox fans were the ones who hated the cubs, but cub fans don't really care about the White Sox?

YEAH RIGHT!!

ITS KILLING THEM!!! .........(literally) :(:

32nd&Wallace
10-25-2005, 04:18 PM
:knue
"YES!!!!!! Journalism GOLD!"Who is this guy again?

woodenleg
10-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Well, who haven't they killed? Hasn't anyone told you yet that you're all wife-beating thugs and the worst fans in baseball?

Dick Allen
10-26-2005, 01:26 PM
I know a few Cub fans I wish she would have taken with her.

Hitmen77
10-27-2005, 09:59 AM
I bet this woman is really rolling over in her grave now.