PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans devour Cell concessions

itsnotrequired
10-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Fans of the Chicago White Sox (http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/relatedStories.pl?type=company&id=393&news_id=18238) are hungry for a World Series victory. Over the weekend they were also hungry for 26,400 kosher hot dogs.

The stadiumís concession and souvenir company, Sportservice, said White Sox fans bought about as much food as they did at the regular seasonís 16 sold-out games.

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=18238&psid=a36c984346debac541d5fb939d58 5521

Interesting stuff...

Chisox003
10-24-2005, 04:19 PM
http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=18238&psid=a36c984346debac541d5fb939d58 5521

Interesting stuff...
I "sold" those both games....

Every other vendor was doing 10-15 loads (20 hotdogs) apiece, I did 4 both days....and saw every pitch of each game :redface:

Hey, I made about $70+ both days to be at the World Series .... I made the company some money, and got paid to watch the 2 greatest games of my life

Doesnt get any better than that

Goose
10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
I "sold" those both games....

Every other vendor was doing 10-15 loads (20 hotdogs) apiece, I did 4 both days....and saw every pitch of each game :redface:

Hey, I made about $70+ both days to be at the World Series .... I made the company some money, and got paid to watch the 2 greatest games of my life

Doesnt get any better than that

Just curious...how do the consessions work? Take Beer Vendors, for example...I heard that the vendors buy a case of beer for a certain amount, say $40, then sell it for the $4.75, and they keep the net. Is that true? Just wondering...

Half Cocked Jack
10-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Just curious...how do the consessions work? Take Beer Vendors, for example...I heard that the vendors buy a case of beer for a certain amount, say $40, then sell it for the $4.75, and they keep the net. Is that true? Just wondering...
Yes. You buy your loads of whatever you're selling, be it beer, hotdogs, pepsi, etc. from the commisary at the ballpark. The price you sell it at includes your commision. If you have extra stuff at the end, you can return it to the commisary and they give back the money you paid for it.

StockdaleForVeep
10-24-2005, 04:31 PM

Interesting stuff...

Reinsdorf should have no excuse for claiming the team has no money now

How many of the dogs were bought by Jenks in the pen?

Goose
10-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes. You buy your loads of whatever you're selling, be it beer, hotdogs, pepsi, etc. from the commisary at the ballpark. The price you sell it at includes your commision. If you have extra stuff at the end, you can return it to the commisary and they give back the money you paid for it.

Thanks for the info!

Half Cocked Jack
10-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info!
I learned it painfully... working at Wrigley in 2003. ****ty place to work, if you're thinking of becoming a vendor I'd reccomend avoiding it. Its hard to get around in the aisles there to sell your stuff, and the fans are mostly interested in beer (which you can only sell if you're higher ranked within the union). If you're interested in vending, I'd recomnend White Sox games, from what I've heard there is better commission there and its definetly a less claustrophobic environment. Plus, there's actually a good ballclub on the field!

tifosiv122
10-24-2005, 05:26 PM
"5,200 regular hot dogs...26,400 kosher hot dogs."

I'm totally confused.

I only eat kosher dogs because I am Jewish. I know Jews are a minority...and since the dogs are much more expensive then the non-kosher ones...why is everyone else eating them? Do they taste better or something? I've never had a non-Kosher so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks,
Erik

bludupree
10-24-2005, 05:29 PM

I'm totally confused.

I only eat kosher dogs because I am Jewish. I know Jews are a minority...and since the dogs are much more expensive then the non-kosher ones...why is everyone else eating them? Do they taste better or something? I've never had a non-Kosher so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks,
Erik

I'm not sure if it's because they are kosher but they are definitely better.

JorgeFabregas
10-24-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm a vegetarian, but they sure as heck smell better.

knocko94
10-24-2005, 05:30 PM
They're much bigger: And who doesn't love a big hot dog?

Lorenzo Barcelo
10-24-2005, 05:37 PM

I'm totally confused.

Thanks,
Erik

Taste is exactly why....Also the venders sell Best Kosher's down the aisles. You can only get regular hot dogs at certain stands(unless is dollar dog day).

SweetnesSox
10-24-2005, 05:41 PM

Thanks,
Erik

imo, the kosher dogs taste MUCH better. they're made with a better part of the animal, hence why the "regular" dogs aren't kosher.

chisoxmike
10-24-2005, 05:45 PM

I'm totally confused.

Thanks,
Erik

Yes, they taste WAY better than the regular hot dogs. They're amazing actaully. One of the few hot dogs I'll actually eat. I've got to wait until 2006 to have another.:whiner:

tifosiv122
10-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Wow. I always thought non-kosher would taste better and I always felt ripped off for paying more...guess I was wrong. Maybe the dogs will taste that much better next time knowing it's the best I can get ;)

Erik

LongLiveFisk
10-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Well, all that hot food might have helped people stay warm on a cold night as well. Although that theory doesn't seem to hold up with beer. :?:

NardiWasHere
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
imo, the kosher dogs taste MUCH better. they're made with a better part of the animal, hence why the "regular" dogs aren't kosher.

HAHA funny story-
I went to Cincy with a few friends to see a game at Great American. I spent a whole inning walking around looking for the Kosher Dogs. I finally asked a vendor and he had no idea what I was talking about. "We have Chili Dogs. Is that the same thing?".... um, no

JorgeFabregas
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Yes, they taste WAY better than the regular hot dogs. They're amazing actaully. One of the few hot dogs I'll actually eat. I've got to wait until 2006 to have another.:whiner:
You can buy them at the grocery store, you know...

Joosh
10-24-2005, 05:59 PM
You can buy them at the grocery store, you know...

Its just not the same, if you know what I mean.

I totally prefer the Kosher Dogs, I know that I can taste the difference, and its worth the extra. :smile:

LongLiveFisk
10-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Its just not the same, if you know what I mean.

I totally prefer the Kosher Dogs, I know that I can taste the difference, and its worth the extra. :smile:

Oh, some people are psychotic about Koshers...I was at a game one time and I was about to get the regular dog and this guy next to me says, "Oh come on, you have to get the Kosher...I'll even pay the extra if you want!"

Now that's dedication! :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Wow. I always thought non-kosher would taste better and I always felt ripped off for paying more...guess I was wrong. Maybe the dogs will taste that much better next time knowing it's the best I can get ;)

Erik

I buy the koshers because they are:

1. Bigger
2. Grilled
3. Can get grilled onions at the stands.
4. Taste better (but if regular hot dogs had 1,2 & 3 I'd buy them as well).

I had a Kosher and a Polish yesterday and they were great as always.

I love Hot Dog Thursdays to get 2 Kosher Dogs for $5.00. I hope the promotion is back next year.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Oh, some people are psychotic about Koshers...I was at a game one time and I was about to get the regular dog and this guy next to me says, "Oh come on, you have to get the Kosher...I'll even pay the extra if you want!"

Now that's dedication! :D:

i took a friend (he's from london) to his 1st game this year and had to tell him about the kosher dogs. He waved down the hot dog guy that walks around and i told him to beat it and gave my friend the lowdown

jabrch
10-24-2005, 11:29 PM

Different animal too - right? Kosher would imply beef, not pork?

TheOldRoman
10-25-2005, 12:36 AM

I'm totally confused.

Thanks,
Erik
I am clearly not speaking for the majority here, but I don't like Kosher hot dogs. I don't like the thick skin, and I dont like the taste. I would much rather have a regular dog, but that is just me.

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 12:41 AM

Erik

Are these actually Kosher, though, are Kosher-style? I often attend games with a Modern Orthodox friend of mine, and he always brings his own food. That or the dogs could be kosher, but since the facilities aren't, they aren't kosher.

Chuckster49
10-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Are these actually Kosher, though, are Kosher-style? I often attend games with a Modern Orthodox friend of mine, and he always brings his own food. That or the dogs could be kosher, but since the facilities aren't, they aren't kosher.

Best's Kosher are in fact kosher in that they are made of beef that was slaughtered according to Jewish Law and that the manufacturing plant has a Rabbinical authority overseeing production. The carts at the Cell are not overseen by any Rabbinical authority; thus the dogs are not kosher in the eyes of someone that keeps strictly kosher. Other non-kosher hot dogs have fillers that may contain pork or simply use beef from cows that did not go through the kosher slaughter process. Too much info?

There are kosher hot dog stands in New York (Both parks) and Baltimore. I haven't been to the DC park, but I think they do as well.

Disclaimer: I do not keep kosher nor am I Jewish, but I've worked at an Orthodox Jewish school for seven years. I'm going on that knowledge. I'm pretty sure everything I wrote was correct.

How in the world did this end up being my first post?

akingamongstmen
10-25-2005, 08:00 AM
HAHA funny story-
I went to Cincy with a few friends to see a game at Great American. I spent a whole inning walking around looking for the Kosher Dogs. I finally asked a vendor and he had no idea what I was talking about. "We have Chili Dogs. Is that the same thing?".... um, no

Cincy...can't say that I'm surprised. :redneck

tifosiv122
10-25-2005, 09:29 AM

Yes and No. Chuckster's post was 100% correct. I keep kosher as best as possible...but I do eat out. Face it, in this society I can't eat out on something that pork hasn't been cooked on. As long as I don't eat the pork itself, I am keeping within the tradition and laws of my religion. The truely religious wouldn't touch any food that is served from a public place that serves anything non-kosher. I am not that fanatical.

As someone pointed out, not all non-kosher dogs are pork, some are all beef, and that I will eat as well. It's when its non-kosher and doesn't say all beef that I will not eat it because it's the pork I wont eat, not non-kosher meat. I eat McDonalds and such...just no pork or shellfish. I do eat meat and cheese together.

I consider myself conservative...most reform Jews eat pork, I'd say about half of conservative Jews eat pork, and I don't know any Orthodox Jews that eat pork...but I am sure there is at least one.

Erik

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 09:30 AM
Best's Kosher are in fact kosher in that they are made of beef that was slaughtered according to Jewish Law and that the manufacturing plant has a Rabbinical authority overseeing production. The carts at the Cell are not overseen by any Rabbinical authority; thus the dogs are not kosher in the eyes of someone that keeps strictly kosher. Other non-kosher hot dogs have fillers that may contain pork or simply use beef from cows that did not go through the kosher slaughter process. Too much info?

There are kosher hot dog stands in New York (Both parks) and Baltimore. I haven't been to the DC park, but I think they do as well.

Disclaimer: I do not keep kosher nor am I Jewish, but I've worked at an Orthodox Jewish school for seven years. I'm going on that knowledge. I'm pretty sure everything I wrote was correct.

How in the world did this end up being my first post?

That's basically what I thought--I am Jewish but do not keep kosher--but wasn't exactly sure. Thanks!

And welcome!

chisoxfanatic
10-25-2005, 09:48 AM

You could've had them Saturday. :D:

anotherDCsoxfan
10-25-2005, 09:52 AM
On DC...

FedEx Field does have a Kosher food stand for Redskins fans where all the food is prepared under supervision, and thus, considered fully kosher. RFK does not have this for the Nationals (who may have the worst food in baseball -- hot dogs, pizza, and one California Tortilla stand are about the only options).

ewokpelts
10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Yes and No. Chuckster's post was 100% correct. I keep kosher as best as possible...but I do eat out. Face it, in this society I can't eat out on something that pork hasn't been cooked on. As long as I don't eat the pork itself, I am keeping within the tradition and laws of my religion. The truely religious wouldn't touch any food that is served from a public place that serves anything non-kosher. I am not that fanatical.

As someone pointed out, not all non-kosher dogs are pork, some are all beef, and that I will eat as well. It's when its non-kosher and doesn't say all beef that I will not eat it because it's the pork I wont eat, not non-kosher meat. I eat McDonalds and such...just no pork or shellfish. I do eat meat and cheese together.

I consider myself conservative...most reform Jews eat pork, I'd say about half of conservative Jews eat pork, and I don't know any Orthodox Jews that eat pork...but I am sure there is at least one.

Erikdo you eat chicken or turkey dogs(since there's no pork in them either?)
Gene

Law11
10-25-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure if it's because they are kosher but they are definitely better.

Trivia... The maker and distributor of those Hot Dogs is right here in Chicago.
Best Kosher....a brand of Sara Lee

Best Kosher dogs are premium cuts of lean beef from the forequarter without fillers, extenders, MSG artificial colors or flavors.

They are made with a spice blend and smoked with natural hardwoods.

I happen to work for the company.

ewokpelts
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Trivia... The maker and distributor of those Hot Dogs is right here in Chicago.
Best Kosher....

Best Kosher dogs are premium cuts of lean beef from the forequarter without fillers, extenders, MSG artificial colors or flavors.

They are made with a spice blend and smoked with natural hardwoods.

I happen to work for the company.lucky SOB......

SoxRox
10-25-2005, 12:47 PM
all this reminds me of my favorite kosher hot dog joke...

Q: You know how you can tell if your hot dog is really Kosher?

A: They snip a little bit off the end!

BADDA-BING!

Thank you... I'll be here all week! :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
10-25-2005, 12:54 PM
do you eat chicken or turkey dogs(since there's no pork in them either?)
GeneNot if he has any taste. Ugh. Those things are awful.

tifosiv122
10-25-2005, 02:27 PM
do you eat chicken or turkey dogs(since there's no pork in them either?)
Gene

I would, but as Ol said...nasty. I've tried 'alternative' beef patties as well (that's what happens when you date a Vegatarian) and they stink too.

On a side note, I sometimes eat the fake bacon chips (no pork whatsoever) and I think they are made from Turkey. Pretty good in salads.

Erik

SoxFan64
10-25-2005, 03:08 PM
all this reminds me of my favorite kosher hot dog joke...

Q: You know how you can tell if your hot dog is really Kosher?

A: They snip a little bit off the end!

BADDA-BING!

Thank you... I'll be here all week! :rolleyes:

That was painful. But it could get you a week of work in the Borche (Sp?) Belt.:tongue:

tifosiv122
10-25-2005, 03:54 PM
That was painful. But it could get you a week of work in the Borche (Sp?) Belt.:tongue:

Not sure how to spell it either, but there is a T in there somewhere.

Erik

itsnotrequired
10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Not if he has any taste. Ugh. Those things are awful.

Not all of them. I've had some smoked apple chicken sausages that are fantastic.

I'd rather have a Kosher though...:cool:

whitesoxwilkes
10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Not sure how to spell it either, but there is a T in there somewhere.

Erik

Borscht.

AnotherDCSoxFan--have you tried the chorizo at RFK? I thought it was pretty damned good.

anotherDCsoxfan
10-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Borscht.

AnotherDCSoxFan--have you tried the chorizo at RFK? I thought it was pretty damned good.

No, haven't tried that. Maybe next season.
The hot dogs are okay, but they're no Comiskey Dogs.
Neither are the Hebrew Nationals at Wrigley. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, but they don't do it very well on the north side.

house215
10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
this thread is making me really hungry...

SouthSide_HitMen
10-25-2005, 07:00 PM
No, haven't tried that. Maybe next season.
The hot dogs are okay, but they're no Comiskey Dogs.
Neither are the Hebrew Nationals at Wrigley. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, but they don't do it very well on the north side.

I bought the grilled hot dogs (I assume they were kosher - I buy grilled hot dogs and the bigger the better regardless of if they are kosher or not though most parks only grill kosher dogs) at RFK and they were pretty good - about the only thing edible at RFK.

We were lucky and bought tickets for the press box secition - we were right next to it - and we had our own table and moveable chairs on the Fourth of July game and it was very nice there. Glad to see baseball back in DC (though sad to see it leave Montreal - they were a great baseball city until Bud ruined it in 1994 :(: ).

Jurr
10-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Before the beer, it's always a brat and a diet pepsi for my girlfriend and I.

We have our 15 bucks ready as soon as we walk in the building. Love that food!