PDA

View Full Version : the griping over Buck & McCarver's non-enthusiasm

Baby Fisk
10-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Folks are expressing disappointment over the neutral, blasÚ HR calls by lil' Buck up in the FOX booth. Bear in mind that Sox fans have been treated to super-excited HR calls by the Hawk and Rooney all season, and are used to HR calls of a certain hysteria. Having to watch these games with "neutral" announcers grates all the more because of it. We are spoiled!

Deep down, all of us (OK, MOST of us) wanted to hear this:

:hawk
"Scotty steps in to face Lidge... [CRACK!]

That ball hit deep!
Get up! Stretch!
Stretch!
He looks up...
YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOAAARRRRRRRD...
YES!!!!!
SCOTT!!!! PODSEDNIK!!!!!"

SSN721
10-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Folks are expressing disappointment over the neutral, blasÚ HR calls by lil' Buck up in the FOX booth. Bear in mind that Sox fans have been treated to super-excited HR calls by the Hawk and Rooney all season, and are used to HR calls of a certain hysteria. Having to watch these games with "neutral" announcers grates all the more because of it. We are spoiled!

That ball hit deep!
Get up! Stretch!
Stretch!
He looks up...
YES!!!!!

I must say I completely agree. :D: Although according to many here I suppose the style of Buck and McCarver is what they want for their local announcing team. Flat and objective. Seems pretty boring to me. I'll take Hawks country drawl bias any day over that.

PatK
10-24-2005, 03:21 PM
It's not Joe's lack of enthiusiams that bothers me, it's that he seems do downplay everything the Sox do and takes every opportunity to poke fun or diss them.

His lack of enthusiam for Pods homer said it all.

JRIG
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
It's not Joe's lack of enthiusiams that bothers me, it's that he seems do downplay everything the Sox do and takes every opportunity to poke fun or diss them.

This will sound strange, I know, but after Podsednik's HR, I actually had to check to make sure the game was over. Buck's call made it sound as if Pods had just tied the game, or maybe the HR was in the 8th.

I just couldn't believe that was the call for the home run that just ended one of the best postseason games EVER.

russ99
10-24-2005, 03:28 PM

I'm surprised his home run call didn't mention, "It hit the bat!!" :rolleyes:

NardiWasHere
10-24-2005, 03:30 PM
The worst part of the booth is the constant second guessing and invention of constroversy. I'd be able to watch a game with Skip Caray's boring voice and not care too much, but I HATE when Buck tries to make something out of nothing. Even Bill Simmons commented on this today on his ESPN page2 website. He said something along the lines of, "why can't they let me enjoy the replays of a dramatic grand slam, instead of seeing a non-issue replay of the HBP"....

That being said, how awesome would it be if Hawk made those two calls last night?

SOXFAN_in_WI
10-24-2005, 03:31 PM
I think Buck and Mccarver take a lot of heat here. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Hawk, (could do w/out capt. obvious D.J.) But they are being paid to announce for BOTH teams. And I think the way he was silent for so long was actually cool. It gave fans a chance to relish in the moment. To listen to the crowd on T.V. It was his way of saying "WOW, enjoy it Chicago!" I don't agree with everything they say, but that is what makes a good announcer. I don't agree w/hawk always either. And if you do hate Buck/Mccarver, then just enjoy the moments like last night when Mccarver said that Lidge had the "taste out of his mouth" at almost the same second that Scotty sent that one into the history books!!!

Baby Fisk
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
I can't wait to hear the Championship clincher:

http://www.iwu.edu/~iwunews/newsrlse/Joe_Buck.jpg
"The ball is popped up...Joe Crede under it to make the catch...and move over BOSTON! The new champions of baseball are from the hometown of the CUBS! They have defeated the ASTROS by playing like the YANKEES!"

http://www.rlrassociates.net/images/baseball_tim_mccarver.jpg
"This...Can't...Be...Happening!"

pythons007
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Buck was too worried about Dye's "HBP". He was on that all night and trying to cause a "controversy". Those two wouldn't know what a good baseball game was, if it was in front of their faces.........oh wait it was!

Argalarga
10-24-2005, 03:34 PM
The problem is Buck and McCarver clearly are NOT neutral. Buck takes every chance he gets to rag the Sox for the various umpiring controversies that have happened, and McCarver straight up doesn't like the Sox. He sounded CRUSHED after Pods hit the walkoff, saying "how does this keep happening?" as if a car had backed over his foot twice. Every announcing team the Sox have had in the playoffs has been against them.

oeo
10-24-2005, 03:46 PM
I think Buck and Mccarver take a lot of heat here. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Hawk, (could do w/out capt. obvious D.J.) But they are being paid to announce for BOTH teams. And I think the way he was silent for so long was actually cool. It gave fans a chance to relish in the moment. To listen to the crowd on T.V. It was his way of saying "WOW, enjoy it Chicago!" I don't agree with everything they say, but that is what makes a good announcer. I don't agree w/hawk always either. And if you do hate Buck/Mccarver, then just enjoy the moments like last night when Mccarver said that Lidge had the "taste out of his mouth" at almost the same second that Scotty sent that one into the history books!!!

But this is the WORLD SERIES, only the 13th walk-off homerun in the World Series, all time. And he's there to witness it and shows no excitement whatsoever? Come on, you've got to be excited about that as a baseball fan.

JorgeFabregas
10-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I have no idea what their homerun calls were like because I was shouting too loudly to hear them. :D:

Edit: I did notice that they were pretty quiet on one of the calls. I agree, I think they were trying to let the fans enjoy it by not inserting their own observations.

wdelaney72
10-24-2005, 03:48 PM
They've been very enthusiastic about griping about umpire calls that are not impacting the score of the game.

I used to think Joe buck was a good broadcaster. He's given new meaning to beating a dead horse.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-24-2005, 03:49 PM
I have no idea what their homerun calls were like because I was shouting too loud to hear them. :D:
I was shouting too loud and racing to the phone to call my brother back in Chicago.
Couldn't tell you what either announcer said, and
couldn't care less...

MikeLove
10-24-2005, 03:52 PM
No one really wants buck to be a big sox homer but jeez, youd think youd be able to put some damn emotion into something. I mean hes calling a moment of the WORLD SERIES that probably just made 100,000 grown men cry. But they're too concerned about calls from the Angels series

JackParkman
10-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I don't mind so much their never-ending quest for controversy or even the non-stop replays for the Dye HBP (or non HBP). What kills me is that it never seems to go both ways, like there hasn't been a close call that could have gone against the Sox. For example, they showed the Iguchi "pick off" a couple of times while praising Andy "Mr. Focus" Pettite but scarcely seemed to notice (or care) that Tad was safe. Or that two of the four pitches to Burke in the 9th called balls were easily in the strike zone.

If they want to spend the game harping on the umpiring, fine, but at least call it both ways.

JorgeFabregas
10-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Buck said something like "Initially I thought Iguchi was asking if the move was a balk, but [upon viewing the replay] you wonder if he was safe and the tag didn't get down." But of course, they didn't show it ad nauseum.

NardiWasHere
10-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I used to think Joe buck was a good broadcaster. He's given new meaning to beating a dead horse.

My theory is that since he has been doing so many football games in the past two years, he has gotten into the whole, "instant replay" culture that is in NFL games. I felt like I was watching a Bears-Texans game the way they were analyzing the HBP with the magnified view.

MsSoxVixen22
10-24-2005, 04:08 PM

That ball hit deep!
Get up! Stretch!
Stretch!
He looks up...
YES!!!!!

Damn straight! Or DJ's Uh-Oh! call. JK, sorry everytime DJ says that I always crack up. I'm sorry, but its not the same watching the games when we have to listen to people like Joe Buck and Co. They aren't Sox announcers and they shouldn't be announcing Sox playoff games. You know DAMN well if this was the Cubs they'd have Cub friendly announcers! Its not the same without Hawk and DJ, I'm sorry. So I try and do alittle play by play a la Hawk to make it more enjoyable. :redface: My parents usually laugh their ass off! Maybe I'm the only one but I think Joe Buck is a ginormous tool

PatK
10-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Oh give me a break.

Listen to the call on ESPN radio (I think it was John Miller). His call of Pods homerun is the epitome of what a national broadcast should sound like. He captures the moment while remaining impartial- like someone who is not a fan of either team, just a fan of baseball would.

When a great play is made, he calls it, regardless of what team is responsible for it.

mike squires
10-24-2005, 04:18 PM
For as much crap Berman gets (I don't like him either) at least he shows emotion for both sides....Just Fouuuuuul, Back Back Back...Gone....Buck shows no emotion at all.

vafan
10-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Personally, I think as Sox fans we need to just get over this "no one cares about us" syndrome. Check out Mike Bauman's article on WhiteSox.com. It is a fabulous piece. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20051023&content_id=1257755&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp
And there have been a lot of others that have given the Sox their due. (I know Sox fans love to skewer Mariotti. But why not just read Rick Morrisey instead?)

This run is so fantastic, I don't really care what Buck or McCarver say, frankly. Yet they haven't been all bad. Did anyone notice Buck saying, as Pods rounded the bases, that Lidge had "a new taste in his mouth"? That was a nice follow up to what they had just said about Pujols' blast being out of Lidge's head. Did you notice that both voted for Joe Crede as ALCS MVP because of the way he came through after the AJ/Eddings/Paul affair?

Joe Buck is never going to be as good as his father, who immortalized the Gibson home run on the RADIO. But if you think about one of the other great HR plays in World Series history - Fisk's fair/foul HR in game 6 in 1975 - does anyone even remember the announcer?? I don't.

So enjoy this fabulous indescribable Sox postseason. As Frank Thomas said when asked, there's nothing bitter about it, it's only sweet.

The_Floridian
10-24-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't expect them to go crazy for everything the Sox do, and I don't really think they're tearing into the Sox either. They've been, in my opinion, pretty neutral. They've gone on and on about so called controversy, but that's obviously what the network wants them to do. It sells. It's not that stuff that I have a problem with.

What I have a problem with, as a baseball fan, is that Buck is just not a very engaging broadcaster, and McCarver is not a very interesting analyst.

Compared to what I heard from Lou Piniella when he was in the booth, not to mention Mike Piazza in the ALDS and Ed Farmer on pretty much every Sox broadcast, McCarver doesn't really enhance one's perspective of the game. I can't remember hearing McCarver ever saying anything that made me go, "Wow. That's interesting." Occasionally, he's outright ridiculous, as he was going on for five minutes about Rowand's baserunning.

Buck's problem isn't that he is objective, it's that he doesn't seem to pour much emotion into the situations. I think it's possible to do both. Look at Vin Scully's call of Gibson's home run in '88 (I keep referring to it, but it's a great call). Scully dramatized the moment, made a great, emotional call on the play itself, then brought it all into context with his lines about the improbable and the impossible. Now that's a highly emotional call, but not one, even with all of Scully's connection to the Dodgers, that showed any personal bias.

In fairness to Buck, I thought he did a very good job calling the Series back in '01 between the D-Backs and Yankees. His call on the ninth inning of game 7 may not have been the stuff of legend, but it got the job done.

Maybe he just doesn't care anymore. Maybe I'm more attached to this series. But Buck just isn't that interesting to me. He seems not only very pompous and snarky, but kind of above it all and not very connected to the emotion of the games. This is history, and I'd like a broadcaster who I felt understood that. I just don't get the impression that Buck feels any of this is all that important.

Is it asking too much for an engaging broadcaster with a sense of history and an interesting analyst who reveals hidden things about the game?

MRKARNO
10-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Sorry, Joe Buck is PATHETIC. It's one thing to be neutral. It's another to totally lack any excitement whatsoever. Scully, Jon Miller, and even Thom Brenamen, Dave O'Brien and Gary Thorne are very exciting announcers despite being neutral. All of them understand the big moments and that you need to get excited for the big moments. Podsednik's walkoff was almost an afterthought to Buck.

The Buck and McCarver combo are truly an embarassment on the baseball's biggest stage. I hope ABC gets the World Series and puts Miller and Morgan in there for the World Series. It would be a TON better.

NC_sox_fan
10-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Does anyone else remember when Neon Deion doused McCarver in the clubhouse several years ago? (McCarver shouted "You're a REAL man, Deion!") McCarver had been totally negative about the Braves that year. Even though I'm NOT a Braves fan, I loved it when Deion gave McCarver his due. Wish Ozzie could give us a repeat!

Too bad Fox can't find anyone else to do the post-season broadcasts. It really diminshes the games -- IMHO.

Lukin13
10-24-2005, 07:04 PM
I just had to break my silence for this one. First off I have been reading the board all year and this is by far the best White Sox material on the web!

I also just made my first phone call to a radio show, never understood why people cared enough to call in but I got all fired up and had to call. HA! I listen to Fox Sports Radio on XM everyday with Chris Myers and Bryan Cox (usually a very solid show). I decided to call and try to call out Myers on his interview with Konerko postgame. I believe that locally (Chicago) cut away to local postgame but nationally it went to Chris Myers and Konerko down on the field. His second question to Paul after one of the most exciting world series games ever is: "Did you see that ball hit Jermaine's bat"????

***??? If I was Konerko I would have walked away.

I really believe that Fox and the networks WANT instant replay in baseball. They like it, it creates controversy, makes for longer games, and more commerical breaks.

If anyone actually listens to this show sorry if I didn't represent the White Sox fan base well, they kept playing a laugh track in my ear and cutting me off everytime I went to talk.

The screener also told me that I wasn't allowed to say anything about Fox in general that I had to keep it just to Myer's question, so that really hurt my argument. But I really think that after this amazing game the big question to the hero shouldn't be about some borderline call in the 6th inning.

Trying to be impartial here but I would bet that 95% of MLB games this year had at least one call WORSE than the Dye hit by pitch call. So why harp on it and zoom in 100x magnification repeatedly and beat it like the dead horse jack buck rode in on? Maybe it is just me because I couldn't stand Boomer in the Boston series either but I think this playoff coverage has been awful. Either Fox is trying to drum up ratings by playing the controversy card OR they want Replay bigtime!

-DP

JayMoroniotti
10-24-2005, 07:30 PM
STEP 1: Mute TV
STEP 2: Turn on radio
STEP 3: Tune it to 1000:cool:

That should take care of this "buck"in problem.
I'd rather enjoy the precious few days we have left of John Rooney then listen to this incopetent daddy's boy no nothing.

CJLove23
10-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I agree with most of the posters here. It's one thing to have an enthusiastic announcer like Hawk, but Joe Buck witnessed a Grand Slam, and a game winning home run in the 9th for the Sox to win the game, and hardly raised his voice. Maybe I missed it, but I barely heard him say that this was the first grand slam in over 7 years during a World Series game. And also I believe that Pods' winning HR was only one of 7 ever in a WS game EVER as well!! What both Konerko and Pods did was on a very very short list of what ball players did in the past. Yet, he put WAY more emphasis on Vizcaino's game tying RBI's.

Not something to get angry about, but I think we do have a right to be a little perturbed by it. The man shows no excitement for this team, IMHO. Too bad there's a delay from the radio to TV.

SABRSox
10-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Houston fans don't like Buck and McCarver either. So I'd say it's safe to say most of America doesn't like Buck and McCarver. And it seems like Joe Buck would rather be calling a football game.

To be honest, I don't think Fox cares too much about this World Series. The announcing team is B-level, at best. If this were on any of the other networks, you'd be getting top notch announcing. Even ESPN would bring a better crew. Unfortunately it's stuck on Fox, which uses the series to promote it's other shows instead of baseball itself.
What time is Prison Break on again?

kcsportscaster
10-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Here's my take on Fox's baseball coverage: Fox as a whole has completely blown it the entire post-season, not only with Joe Buck's less than enthusiastic call of Pods's game winning home run in game two, but with all of the whining about the botched calls over and over, from A-J's alert baserunning on JOSH PAUL'S gaffe in game two of the A-L-C-S to Jermaine Dye's H-B-P in game two of the World Series. AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON EITHER TIM MCCARVER'S MINDLESS BABBLING AND "SCOOTER!!!!" I would post a link to an anti-McCarver site, but I may violate the spam rules if I do.

HOWEVER, the worst of the worst EASILY has to be Jeanne Zelasko. First off, WE ARE THE WHITE SOX ARMY, NOT "WHITE SOX NATION!!!!" Also, THERE IS NO CURSE OF SHOELESS JOE/THE 1919 BLACK SOX!!!! With infamous ESPN and former CBS college football sideline "reporter" Jill Arrington taking at least this season off to take care of her baby, Zelasko is absolutely the most irritating "sportscaster" on television today. She should have been fired IMMEDIATELY after that debacle with Hall-of-Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell in which she rudely cut him off during the All-Star Game pre-game show, but NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

With Fox's contract due to expire after next season, I am using this message board to beg Bud Selig to give at least part of the next over-the-air network contract to anybody out of CBS, NBC, or ABC that wants it, and here is the lineup of announcers that I would like to see on those networks:

If CBS were to return to baseball:

"A" Team: Get Thom Brennaman away from Fox and pair him with Steve Stone, getting him away from ESPN.

"B" Team: Greg Gumbel and Jeff Torborg

Studio Team: Bonnie Bernstein and Steve Lyons, EASILY would be a better listen than Zelasko and Kevin Kennedy, depending on Bernstein's NFL commitments.

If NBC were to return to baseball:

"A" Team: Bob Costas and Steve Stone, getting him away from ESPN.

"B" Team: Get Thom Brennaman away from Fox and pair him with Jeff Torborg.

Studio Team: Al Trautwig and Steve Lyons

If ABC were to return to baseball:

"A" Team: Al Michaels and Steve Stone

"B" Team: Jon Miller and Joe Morgan, who would also double as the lead Sunday Night Baseball team on ESPN.

Studio Team: John Saunders and Tim Kurkjian

Well? Give me your thoughts.

power98
10-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Folks are expressing disappointment over the neutral, blasÚ HR calls by lil' Buck up in the FOX booth. Bear in mind that Sox fans have been treated to super-excited HR calls by the Hawk and Rooney all season, and are used to HR calls of a certain hysteria. Having to watch these games with "neutral" announcers grates all the more because of it. We are spoiled!Sorry, I disagree. While you will never see me join the Joe Buck Fan Club, I'm not really into bashing him. He's a "neutral", national play-by-play man, and while I WOULD love to hear Hawk and DJ, I don't make that big of an issue about it.

What I have a problem with is McCarver. I do not consider myself THAT much of a rabid baseball fan; I have SOME historical knowledge, I've never played the game myself in an organized fashion, and what I've learned has been gleaned mostly from just watching it (live and on TV, radio) and talking to fans that know more than I do.

That being said, I should be able to listen to any "national" baseball broadcast, and assume that the people calling the game know at LEAST as much about it as I do; hopefully they know something more and can drop a nugget of wisdom here and there to make the game more enjoyable. However, if I watch a game, and a published color commentator with years of experience (not to mention MLB playing time) keeps saying idiotic things that are correctable by a high-schooler, I'm going to rant about it. And McCarver (to me) is so bad he should get a copy of Harold Reynolds' DVD and watch it a few times to familiarize himself with the game that he's attempting to butcher before an international audience.

My last stand on the soapbox will acknowledge that it can't be all Mr. McCarver's fault. After all, HE does not control the number of times that they've played the 'controversial' calls. Someone in the truck must also have an obsession with excessive whining about umpiring via the slow-motion instant replay. Face it, folks, if a manager complained as much about the umpiring as the Fox broadcast crew, they'd be fined so much the team's ticket prices would go up about $10 a seat per game.

Now, I'll get off my soapbox, and see if I get run off for this rant. Hopefully I didn't get anyone's panties in a wad....

Banana farming? There's only two left.. :supernana::supernana:

NDSox12
10-24-2005, 08:37 PM
The worst part of the booth is the constant second guessing and invention of constroversy.

Tim McCarver wrote the book on second guessing. I can not think of another announcer in any sport who has basically defined his broadcasting career by second guessing players/managers/umpires.

I'm not a fan of Joe Buck either, though I think they could do worse.

bigfoot
10-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Is it just my impression, or are the second/third generation sportscasters(Caray, Buck, Brenneman, Schaap, et. al.) a faint shadow of the voices that made those names famous?

seanpmurphy
10-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I wonder what people outside of WSI think about Buck/McCarver? I would hope to God there's a good number of intelligent baseball fans who feel exactly like the people here do. I know it's like "what did you expect, Sean?" but I really don't want to think about the probably millions of people who are letting these two guys bring them baseball and they're just taking it in and maybe even regurgitating this trash to friends, co-workers, and their children.

GeauxSox
10-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Buck and McCarver may feel the same way, but it's the producers of the telecast who are driving the emphasis and making the decisions about what is talked about during the game. In their ears they are told what to say and how to frame it, all during the SHOW.

Actually, we might be very surprised to learn what their real personal feelings are. It is a testament to their professionalism (yuck) that many are so upset. They have sold us the company line, whether or not they even believe it themselves. We think they do, and that's what they are hoping for. Controversy generates ratings. Even if it's all made up. You can be mad at Buck and McCarver all you want, but they are doing what they are told to do.

If Buck and McCarver and everybody else involved in the broadcast were certifiable Sox fans like us, they would probably do it the same way. Well ok, maybe not like us. We couldn't do it because we are honest even when we lie.

I do think the more established on air talent (Vin Scully, Jack Buck (R.I.P.), Keith Jackson etc.) have more leeway if they want to "stray from the script". McCarver is a company man. He knows what his role is. Buck is still too young to call the shots.

White_Sock
10-24-2005, 10:47 PM
From now on they should change the way they pick announcers. They should pick one homer from each team! Man could you imagine it? They would be arguing and rubbing HR calls in eachother's faces. It would be a hit!

(White Sox hit a home run)
:hawk:
YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD -- YES!
(Astros hit a homer)
:hawk:
you can put it on....(unitelligible mumbling)

TDog
10-24-2005, 11:20 PM
John Miller on ESPN Radio was calling the game for a national audience. His calls on the Konerko slam, the 2-run single off Jenks and the Pods home run all were filled with emotion. Even Joe Morgan seemed to objective.

Jurr
10-24-2005, 11:53 PM
I wonder what people outside of WSI think about Buck/McCarver? I would hope to God there's a good number of intelligent baseball fans who feel exactly like the people here do. I know it's like "what did you expect, Sean?" but I really don't want to think about the probably millions of people who are letting these two guys bring them baseball and they're just taking it in and maybe even regurgitating this trash to friends, co-workers, and their children.
I used to like them a lot. However, that was when I'd watch a bunch of big games with teams I couldn't care less about. They are decent for that purpose. When you're a big fan of a team that you love, especially our team that has nothing but homer broadcasters, you want to see a lot of enthusiasm in big situations. Joe Buck isn't going to match Hawk's passion during a walk off.
He's not going to match Jerry Remy or Sean Mcdonough's calls for the Red Sox. Ditto for Ron Santo.
I listen to Farmer and Rooney during the games, and I refuse to listen to Fox. I want to share this moment with our guys. The guys I'd lay in a tub and listen to in random years like 2001 during random games like the Orioles games. The guys who felt like throwing up like I did when the Sox would lose to the Twins. Those are the people we want to hear. Don't listen to this Fox crap. If you want a password to listen to Sox radio on the internet, let me know. I'll help you out, if you 1.) don't want to spend the 7 bucks it costs to listen to them for 2 or so more games or 2.) don't have said 7 bucks.

FarWestChicago
10-25-2005, 12:08 AM
John Miller on ESPN Radio was calling the game for a national audience. His calls on the Konerko slam, the 2-run single off Jenks and the Pods home run all were filled with emotion. Even Joe Morgan seemed to objective.John Miller's calls made it sound like something important was happening. There's an idea, Joe.

Craig Grebeck
10-25-2005, 12:09 AM
The only thing Joe Buck gets enthusiastic about is interviewing Leon...anyone else remember that?

What a freaking joke...

NardiWasHere
10-25-2005, 12:14 AM
The only thing Joe Buck gets enthusiastic about is interviewing Leon...anyone else remember that?

:rolling:

TheOldRoman
10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Buck said something like "Initially I thought Iguchi was asking if the move was a balk, but [upon viewing the replay] you wonder if he was safe and the tag didn't get down." But of course, they didn't show it ad nauseum.
Exactly. They showed exactly ONE replay of Iguchi's slide back into first. As they were going to commercial, they showed it, and I said "***?! HE WAS SAFE!". When they came back from commercial, Buck said what you posted above, but they didn't show a single replay of it! They showed 4 or 5 replays of Pettitte balking an not getting called for it, all while praising him immensely. They refused to show Iguchi's slide because they knew he was clearly safe. Contrast that with the HBP, which DIDN'T extend the inning (it would have still been a full count). I don't expect them to bitch and whine for 15 min about Pettitte not getting called for the balk. I also dont expect them to show 50 replays of Iguchi's slide, stopping at the exact frame when his hand touches the base in super slow motion, and whine about that for the next hour. But he should have considering the precedent he set with the other calls.
Iguchi was safe, and it was a balk. Nary a word was heard out of the imbeciles in the booth.

jlberg27
10-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Thank you, I'm so sick of hearing about the calls the Sox have gotten in the playoffs. These National League announcers are over the top! Also , what's the deal on the return from commercials, that we have missed a pitch or just in the nick of time.

Ron Karkovice
10-25-2005, 12:22 AM
my buddies and I here at U of I are already celebrating to loud at that time, I don't even know what their hr calls sound like:dtroll:

Ron Karkovice
10-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Thank you, I'm so sick of hearing about the calls the Sox have gotten in the playoffs. These National League announcers are over the top! Also , what's the deal on the return from commercials, that we have missed a pitch or just in the nick of time.

This world series is bringing in the lowest ratings of all time. The sox-stros series barely drew more viewers than reruns of the waltons. Now for the truth: the longer the comercials role, the more profit.

TheOldRoman
10-25-2005, 12:25 AM
The Buck and McCarver combo are truly an embarassment on the baseball's biggest stage. I hope ABC gets the World Series and puts Miller and Morgan in there for the World Series. It would be a TON better.
I agree. I don't know why, but I have always hated Fox's coverage of baseball AND football. Unfortunately, they just resigned with the NFL, so they will air the Superbowl probably ever third year for the next 10 years or so.

I started watching baseball around 94. I loved ABC and NBC's coverage of the playoffs. They made it seem like you were watching something historic. They didn't have ridiculous robotic sound effects to draw attention to a change in the score on the ridiculously gaudy and oversized score box on the top of the screen. Both networks used to put on a classy presentation, but Fox tries to make it "hip" and "futuristic". I can't wait until next year when they have giant robots stomp across the entire screen and bash the score box with a bat, causing it to explode and show the new score! For anyone who watched Fox's NHL presentations, that shouldn't be in teal.
I really hope someone steps up and outbids them. Hopefully by the time the Sox wrap up their 8th consecutive title in 2012, a network other than Fox will be showing the games.

Lip, do you have any knowledge of Fox' current contract with MLB, when they resigned and how many years are left?

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 12:27 AM
I agree. I don't know why, but I have always hated Fox's coverage of baseball AND football. Unfortunately, they just resigned with the NFL, so they will air the Superbowl probably ever third year for the next 10 years or so.

I started watching baseball around 94. I loved ABC and NBC's coverage of the playoffs. They made it seem like you were watching something historic. They didn't have ridiculous robotic sound effects to draw attention to a change in the score on the ridiculously gaudy and oversized score box on the top of the screen. Both networks used to put on a classy presentation, but Fox tries to make it "hip" and "futuristic". I really hope someone steps up and outbids them. Hopefully by the time the Sox wrap up their 8th consecutive title in 2012, a network other than Fox will be showing the games.

Lip, do you have any knowledge of Fox' current contract with MLB, when they resigned and how many years are left?

Call me crazy, but Buck/McCarver makes me miss Bob Costas.

Ron Karkovice
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM

You my friend, are crayzayyyy

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 12:37 AM
You my friend, are crayzayyyy

Everything in contrast. Costas may be somewhat of a dweeb, but he at least knows what is happening in the moment and gets excited for it.

Ron Karkovice
10-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Everything in contrast. Costas may be somewhat of a dweeb, but he at least knows what is happening in the moment and gets excited for it.

Is it insane to rather have Berman than Buck?

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Is it insane to rather have Berman than Buck?

Berman I imagine as the complete opposite of Buck; he seems to get excited over everything like Dick Vitale, and Buck nothing.

Nellie_Fox
10-25-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm convinced that if Buehrle had picked off a runner with as obvious a balk as Petitte did, they'd have gone on and on about the controversy all night. It was a balk, for two reasons. The balk rule from MLB web site (emphasis added by me):
If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when_ (a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery; If a left-handed or right-handed pitcher swings his free foot past the back edge of the pitcher's rubber, he is required to pitch to the batter except to throw to second base on a pick off play. (b) The pitcher, while touching his plate, feints a throw to first base and fails to complete the throw; (c) The pitcher, while touching his plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base; Requires the pitcher, while touching his plate, to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base.

Petitte does both. He brings his lead foot behind the rubber, then steps at a 45░ angle between first and home before throwing to first. Buehrle also does the 45░ step, and he's gotten called on it this year.

I also loved McCarver being a physicist. After he had already seen the Dye HBP replay several times, he pipes up with, "now watch: when a ball hits the bat, it tends to go down. When it hits an arm, it tends to go up or straight back." I'd love to know where he comes up with this. If it hits the bottom of the arm, it won't go down? If it hits the upper part of the bat, it won't go up? Pure genius.

DSpivack
10-25-2005, 12:49 AM
I also loved McCarver being a physicist. After he had already seen the Dye HBP replay several times, he pipes up with, "now watch: when a ball hits the bat, it tends to go down. When it hits an arm, it tends to go up or straight back." I'd love to know where he comes up with this. If it hits the bottom of the arm, it won't go down? If it hits the upper part of the bat, it won't go up? Pure genius.
[/color][/color]

They were mentioning the sound of the ball hitting the bat/body; I heard barely a sound, but I would think if it hit the bat you could hear it.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-25-2005, 01:10 AM
:whocares

Step 1:

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~abridle/videoconf/control_mute.jpg

Step 2:

Turn on

http://images.radcity.net/5176/958890.jpg
http://images.radcity.net/5176/958889.jpg

Step 3: Enjoy the broadcast.

Nellie_Fox
10-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Step 3: Enjoy the broadcast.You'll note that I live somewhat outside the ESPN 1000 broadcast area. I have XM, but the 10-15 second delay makes it an unacceptable audio substitute when watching a game. I can either listen to XM or watch the game, but not both.

Realist
10-25-2005, 02:00 AM
You'll note that I live somewhat outside the ESPN 1000 broadcast area. I have XM, but the 10-15 second delay makes it an unacceptable audio substitute when watching a game. I can either listen to XM or watch the game, but not both.

I live inside the ESPN 1000 broadcast area and it's not synched up for me either. Maybe it's because I'm watching the game on cable and there's too much delay.

Steelrod
10-25-2005, 02:09 AM
What Fox doesn't get is that we are America's team, at least for this year. The history surpasses anything said about Boston last year. 88 years of futility, erasing the 1919 stygma. The story of turning the team upside down and succeeding, having the best record in the American League, having a hispanic manager, having an international cast, playing exciting old time baseball all year, having matinee idols (Posendick and GQ Konerko), having the best staff in baseball, playing in a beautiful park, playing in a major media market, etc...
These are the real stories of the 2005 Chicago White Sox. The fact that Fox has done nothing with them further proves why they remain the fourth network. If the rating are low, they deserve them. It's not baseball's job to hand them a plum every year. Their job is to realize the potential beauty of whats happening, and sell it!
Our continued success highlights their continued failure ! Does Fox Sports net losing us to Comcast play into this. Kinda makes you wonder?

IowaSox1971
10-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Joe Buck just doesn't seem to be very excited about this World Series. He had a chance to call two of the most dramatic homers in World Series history, and it was like he was broadcasting an early season game between two mediocre teams.

Consider what his dad, Jack Buck, did while announcing Kirk Gibson's homer on radio: "This is going to be a home run!! I don't believe what I just saw!!"

I listened to the ESPN Radio national broadcast during the early stages of Sunday's game, and Jon Miller sounded excited for both teams. When the Astros got a key hit or made a big defensive play, you could tell it in his voice. When the White Sox did something well, you could tell it in his voice.

Hey, Joe Buck, it's the World Series! If you don't want to call the games, let someone else have a chance.

StrTrkker
10-25-2005, 09:36 AM
STEP 1: Mute TV
STEP 2: Turn on radio
STEP 3: Tune it to 1000:cool:

That should take care of this "buck"in problem.
I'd rather enjoy the precious few days we have left of John Rooney then listen to this incopetent daddy's boy no nothing.

I wish it was that easy. Even with the AM 1000 sync I find the HD feed from Fox is at least 2-3 seconds behind the radio and thats just as anoying as Buck and McCarver.

Well, then again...

soxfanatlanta
10-25-2005, 10:22 AM
This duo is just not working. Buck is looking for a story, and McCarver is looking at...well... I have no idea what he a looking at half the time. It's obvious that JB can barely stand McCarver, with all of his little digs during the game (+1 for him), but the dynamic is lame. It reminds me of when I have to sit through Bill Walton's commentary (rants) during playoff games, now that is painful.

I know some don't like Costas, but since we don't have an Eastern team in the WS, he could be impartial, and even interesting. Add Dave Cambell as the analyst, and you got a pretty good team.

ode to veeck
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Fox's coverage sucks bigtime.

They not only downplayed and underwhelmed us with some of the most pathetic non-coverage of the biggest plays in two of the most exciting WS games in memory, they even missed the 1st HR the other night hit by the Strohs because of their commercial mistimings (stuffing).

Scooter and the WebMD graphics have to be some of the stupidest concepts since "new coke" and the Edsel.

It's sad to say, but Costas and Berman would be orders of magnitude better than the really pathetic coverage we have had so far.

Dick Allen
10-25-2005, 11:28 AM
This duo is just not working. Buck is looking for a story, and McCarver is looking at...well... I have no idea what he a looking at half the time. It's obvious that JB can barely stand McCarver, with all of his little digs during the game (+1 for him), but the dynamic is lame. It reminds me of when I have to sit through Bill Walton's commentary (rants) during playoff games, now that is painful.

I know some don't like Costas, but since we don't have an Eastern team in the WS, he could be impartial, and even interesting. Add Dave Cambell as the analyst, and you got a pretty good team.It's too bad Costas isn't doing the Series. He's from St. Louis and probably hates the Astros by now.

jortafan
10-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Sorry to disagree with so many of you, but I actually would dread it if either of those two clowns tried to make some sort of unique call.

All too often, a broadcaster winds up saying something trite, ridiculous or downright ignorant, because he's trying to instantly come up with something clever. Very few broadcasters come up with truly memorable calls, and they just have a knack of happening on their own. Do any of you think Buck or McCarver are capable of saying anything particularly clever?

And in the case of the Podsednik home run, what was wrong with just calling it a home run and letting the picture tell the rest, with the emotion of the players pulling a victory out of misery taking over? Personally, I'll never forget the look of glee on Bobby Jenks' face as he ran over to Podsednik, realizing that his 'moment of shame' in Game Two was now just an afterthought that would be little noted nor long remembered.

Besides, let's be honest. On the Podsednik home run, it was a fly ball that barely made it to the seats. It wasn't some towering blast that was obviously a game winner. I actually agreed with Bill Gleason, who during a Monday night appearance on WTTW's "Chicago Tonight" program, said his initial reaction to Podsednik's fly ball was to shout at the television screen for the ball to hit the wall, rather than be caught at the warning track for an out.

I personally had to double check in my mind to confirm that it was a home run, and that the game was truly over.

And on a final point, people who are complaining about the broadcast calls should relax. Our team won that game. Enjoy it. And here's hoping they can pull off two more victories this week.

Sad
10-25-2005, 12:40 PM

Schmuck Blows, he's anti-Chicago, and he's a dweeb...
McCarver loves to overstate his tremendous grasp upon the obvious...

I did enjoy hearing Lou Pinella's take on things...

Hangar18
10-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Fox's coverage sucks bigtime.

They not only downplayed and underwhelmed us with some of the most pathetic non-coverage of the biggest plays in two of the most exciting WS games in memory, they even missed the 1st HR the other night hit by the Strohs because of their commercial mistimings (stuffing).

Scooter and the WebMD graphics have to be some of the stupidest concepts since "new coke" and the Edsel.

It's sad to say, but Costas and Berman would be orders of magnitude better than the really pathetic coverage we have had so far.

Ive been Dying to comment on this for a while, but thought Id let everyone else VENT 1st. YES, the NON-ENTHUSIASM by these guys is extrememly apparent, and they especially DO NOT take into consideration whats going on at the moment. Listen to the Konerko HR call for a good reason ........
and while your at it ....... LISTEN to the Crowd Noise .......very MUFFLED ......sounds like there are 20,000 there. FOX is NOT doing a good job covering this series, im very ashamed and pissed
Jon Miller had a very good call to a SOX HR and hit the other day, nice job,
took into acct what was going on. These other guys sound like they are trying hard to NOT state the excitement going on. thats HORRIBLE. The Muted Crowd Microphone BS is driving me nuts also ..............
Sundays game was the 1st game I decided to turn off the TV sound and put ROONEY ON

NardiWasHere
10-25-2005, 12:47 PM
It's too bad Costas isn't doing the Series. He's from St. Louis and probably hates the Astros by now.

No, Buck is from St. Louis... Costas is a New Yorker

1951Campbell
10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
I wonder what people outside of WSI think about Buck/McCarver?

A woman who posts on my college alumni site commented on how bad they were in our baseball thread. And it's not like anyone prompted her to do so by discussing the announcing before she posted. It was just "hey, does anyone else here notice how much they suck?"

Dick Allen
10-25-2005, 01:31 PM
No, Buck is from St. Louis... Costas is a New YorkerActually, we're both right. He was born in NY but has spent his adult life in St. Louis.

maurice
10-25-2005, 02:18 PM
There's no excuse for the lack of a decent home run call. It's one of the main criteria for judging a baseball announcer. It's the first thing that comes to mind when somebody mentions Hawk or Rooney. If somebody made me a baseball broadcaster today, the first thing I would do is try and come up with a good HR call. Barring that, I'd go with an enthusiastic, spontaneous call like the famous Kirk Gibson call noted earlier. Instead we get the following exchange from Buck/McCarver: "Lidge gave up a big HR to Pujols in his last outing. He won't do that again. Oh, Podsednik hit a HR. The game is over. Why do these things happen?"

Oddly enough, whenever the Astros (or Angels) scored, Buck called it with plenty of enthusiasm. Why? Because the POS is rooting against the Sox (and the "controversial AJ Pray-Zin-Ski" . . . again.

mattcoz
10-25-2005, 02:27 PM
So I try and do alittle play by play a la Hawk to make it more enjoyable.I usually don't, but I caught myself yelling "stretch!" the other night. :tongue:

FarWestChicago
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
A woman who posts on my college alumni site commented on how bad they were in our baseball thread. And it's not like anyone prompted her to do so by discussing the announcing before she posted. It was just "hey, does anyone else here notice how much they suck?"At lunch today my guys were going off on Buck and McCarver. They are A's, Giants and Dodgers fans and they can't stand either of them.

NardiWasHere
10-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Actually, we're both right. He was born in NY but has spent his adult life in St. Louis.

Hmm, didn't know that.... thanks a lot... learn something everyday

miker
10-25-2005, 05:47 PM
I know Sox fans love to skewer Mariotti. But why not just read Rick Morrisey instead?
Is death an option?

miker
10-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I usually don't, but I caught myself yelling "stretch!" the other night. :tongue:
Me too...and I think it scared the neighbors!:bandance: