PDA

View Full Version : Biggest World Series Home Runs

BRDSR
10-24-2005, 02:00 PM
During class today I started thinking about the biggest impact home runs in World Series history. Of course theres Joe Carter's in '93 and Kirk Gibsons in...what year was that? I thought Fisk's '75 foul pole home run was high on the list. Other than those, what would top Pods' home run last night? Are there any MAJOR ones that I'm forgetting? Where does Pods' rank in history?

Hokiesox
10-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Gibson's in 1988.

The biggest, was Mazeroski's, to win it all in Game 7, 1960.

Pods wouldn't be high on my list of the 14, if we look objectively- we don't know how the series will end up yet. Subjectively, I put it 2nd or 3rd.

doublem23
10-24-2005, 02:13 PM
The series has to be played out before it can really be analyzed completely. For example, the Yankees' comebacks in 2001 against Byung-Hyun Kim aren't talked about any more because New York went on to lose that series. If the Sox pull this thing out, Podsednik's homer will be one for the ages, IMO. Mazeroski's homer in 1960 was the most important homer in World Series history, and 2nd in baseball history, IMO, only to Hank Aaron's 715th.

BRDSR
10-24-2005, 02:16 PM
The biggest, was Mazeroski's, to win it all in Game 7, 1960.

Duh. Leaving that off my original list is what I call a baseball brain fart.

Baby Fisk
10-24-2005, 02:24 PM
1. Mazeroski.

2. Carter.

3. Podsednik! I am totally biased HAHAHA!

StockdaleForVeep
10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
What about franks HR during the all star weekend when he impaled a building

edit-yes not durin a world series but none the less, a terrifying titan shot

SOXintheBURGH
10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
There's a reason you take Mazeroski Way to get into PNC Park.. greatest homer in World Series history..

When its all said and done, Pods will be 2nd behind Maz, one before Gibson.

Banix12
10-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Kirby Puckett's in 91 probably goes above Pods as well.

Mazeroski probably goes 1 just because it was game seven and it won.

I think Gibson's is still the standard for greatness in drama just because of his injury, who he faced in the AB, and he was pinch hitting. That home run call adds to the mystique as well a bit. Even if it was in game 1 it was the perfect storm of drama.

After that just about any WS homerun that either won the series or staved off elimination for a team that went on to victory probably goes next.

Pods homer wasn't the greatest in game winner in world series history, however it just might be the most unlikely game winning homer in world series history.

I probably have the list
1. Mazeroski
2. Gibson
3. Carter
4. Fisk
5. Puckett
6. Pods

ma-gaga
10-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Mazeroski probably goes 1 just because it was game seven and it won.
After that just about any WS homerun that either won the series or staved off elimination for a team that went on to victory probably goes next.

I agree. W/o really looking at specifics:
Game 7 Walk-off winners > Game 6 winners > Game 5 winners, etc., etc.

I'm torn on how I'd rank a Game 5 Series Ending Homer versus a Game 6 Winner forcing a Game 7. Well, I'm biased towards Puckett's blast giving the Twins a game 7 in 1991. Fisk did the same thing, it's just that Boston lost the Game 7.

So, my order:
1. Maz
2. Carter
3. Puckett (just slightly ahead of)
4. Fisk
I dunno where I'd put Gibson. Maybe top 10. It was pretty insane/unlikely, but it's overrated in importance IMO.

I don't think that Pods cracks the top 10 at this point. Like dubba em' said, it's all about context. If the Astros sweep the next four games, Pods' homer is just another homer in WS history.

My guess is that the W.Sox will have a bigger homer coming up rending this thread moot.

Hell, you could make an argument that Konerko's Slam was a more important homer than Pods...

:gulp:

MRKARNO
10-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Save this discussion for after the Series. We may not have yet seen the biggest HR of the series as ma-gaga has said and the importance of Home Runs this early in a series is usually not fully known until the season is over. Kirk Gibson's HR would not have been so meaningful if LA did not go on to win the Series pretty handily.

Brian26
10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Save this discussion for after the Series.

Gospel. Some of this stuff is making me sick today. "Greatest Game of All Time!!!" We still need two more wins, so let's not act like the Series is over with. Was last night huge? Yes. Was it the greatest game in White Sox history? I think we need two more wins before we even discuss it :D: