PDA

View Full Version : Joe Buck

icesox26
10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
He is the most non-enthusiastic announcer I have ever heard. I never really noticed it until now.

Seriously, the call on Podsednik's homerun was a joke.

Jerko
10-24-2005, 02:47 PM
He was pretty "enthusiastic" when Randy Moss "pulled his pants down" in Green Bay. :rolleyes:

A.T. Money
10-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Buck is a National League guy. He and McCarver are being total Astros homers.

Baby Fisk
10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Buck is a National League guy. He and McCarver are being total Astros homers.Also, if it didn't happen at Yankee Stadium, it might as well not have happened.

tebman
10-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Buck has worked for Fox since he was 25 years old. I don't know if he's an NL homer as much as he is a pure media creature. Fox has always valued flash and drama over straight reportage and Buck has spent his whole career in that environment. His job is to be the slightly skeptical and youthfully cynical voice in the middle of the GameBoy graphics. That's the audience that Fox is always trying to get, and Buck is part of that package to try to attract it.

The White Sox aren't following the script: Derek Jeter is cool, Johnny Damon is cool, but the White Sox aren't. Fox needs a narrative to explain why the Sox had the nerve to show up and spoil the Yankees' and Red Sox's party. Along with the Joe Jackson nonsense and the umpire demonization, Buck provides the impression of a guy who's going to let us all in on the White Sox's scam.

McCarver, a.k.a. Captain Obvious, is the perfect partner in this because he speaks with such comical certainty about how the game and its outcome are somehow wrong. There's more drama if an underserving intruder can be identified, and that's how they're portraying the White Sox.

But hey, Sox fans, we've heard this before. We've got the Tribune and the Windsock to tell us that during the regular season. :D:

PatK
10-24-2005, 03:57 PM
He is the most non-enthusiastic announcer I have ever heard. I never really noticed it until now.

Seriously, the call on Podsednik's homerun was a joke.

That's because it's completely obvious that he hasn't wanted the Sox to win.

MsSoxVixen22
10-24-2005, 04:03 PM

I was going to say that and you beat me to it! I hate Joe Buck, all he does is talk crap about the Sox and make it sound like they're cheaters or only won cos of certain calls. I was about to throw something at the TV, when they started going on and on about the JD call and then the AJ one again. GET OVER IT! These guys just don't want the Sox to win and that's to ****ing bad. I hate the fact that the games are on Fox. Thats why we watch the game and turn the sound down to listen to Rooney and Farmer. :tongue:

mccoydp
10-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Hands down, Joe Buck is horrible.

Argalarga
10-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Buck sounded like he swallowed a fistful of Xanax right before Pods' walk off.

maurice
10-24-2005, 05:39 PM
According to the Cub-Times John Jackson, Buck is wonderful (http://www.suntimes.com/output/worldseries/cst-spt-jacks23.html):
Thankfully, things went much smoother when play-by-play announcer Joe Buck took command of the broadcast. In fact, the game broadcast got off to a solid start with strong information from both Buck and analyst Tim McCarver and strong graphics from the boys in the truck. . . . Buck commands a broadcast as well as anyone in the business . . . . Unlike some national announcers who did previous Sox playoff games (hint: Chris Berman), Buck doesn't feel the need to talk constantly. A prime example came when Jermaine Dye homered in the bottom of the first to give the Sox a 1-0. After the ball cleared the wall, Buck shut up and let the atmosphere of the stadium come through the television. . . .
:rolleyes:

Pay better attention to the broadcasts, Jackass. Buck's only quiet when the Sox hit a HR, because he's pissed off that the horrible, cheating, controversial Sox scored another dirty run. He gets real loud and excited on the rare occasion that Sox opponents hit a HR.

Jackson also gave a thumbs up to "Fox Trax," which I found to be woefully inaccurate in terms of pitch location and vastly inferior to the ESPN equivalent.

pearso66
10-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Jackson also gave a thumbs up to "Fox Trax," which I found to be woefully inaccurate in terms of pitch location and vastly inferior to the ESPN equivalent.

You are right. I noticed on every pitch outside, Fox Trax showed it as either down the middle or inside, and there was one down the middle that was so far inside that it looks like it should have hit the batter. Heck, I saw 1 time a ball that was 6 inches outside, that was shown to be down the middle of the plate

SOXSINCE'70
10-24-2005, 09:15 PM

Once again,2 words:

ROONEY AND FARMER

There is only a 3 second delay on radio during the WS
(it seemed like 10 seconds during the last 2 rounds).
Appreciate John Rooney's calls now,folks.
After this round,in the words of Hawk Harrelson,
"He gone".Mucho thanks to the SNORE for overpaying
their morning man.Now we have an inkling as to why
Mitch Rosen took the cheap way out and played hardball
with Rooney. Guess what?? They lost!!

Clembasbal
10-25-2005, 10:16 AM
When Konerko hit the granny, there was at least 25 seconds of dead air. Even when Everett then hit the single to right it was still dead air, then they cut to the Dye replay.

Talk about duds. 25 seconds of dead air on a National Broadcast, somebody should be fired.

bigsoxfan420
10-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I just watched game two from The Seventh Inning on again last night and it seems the Buck get more excited when Vizciano hits the double in the ninth than when Konerko hits the Grand Slam. Ridiculous. I will no longer defend Joe Buck.