PDA

View Full Version : Dahl Rips Phony "Fans"

FielderJones
10-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Here (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0510240229oct24,1,3549312.story)

"Why can't these people at least take their action to a skybox, so we don't have to see it?"

"These are the tickets that real Sox fans couldn't get."

A.T. Money
10-24-2005, 01:51 PM
He's right.

Uncle_Patrick
10-24-2005, 01:56 PM
There's a piece in today's Sun-Times were Bernie Mac declares that he never rooted for the Cubs.

Chicago
10-24-2005, 01:59 PM
SO TRUE... We are the ones that have supported our team throughout the years...and finally a WS and now the seats that we filled are now taken by people that couldn't name 3 players on the field. :mad:

itsnotrequired
10-24-2005, 02:03 PM
SO TRUE... We are the ones that have supported our team throughout the years...and finally a WS and now the seats that we filled are now taken by people that couldn't name 3 players on the field. :mad:

As a double stab in the back, fools are griping about Sox fans leaving the game early last night after Jenks blew the save.

Yes, we Sox fans are that fair-weathered.:rolleyes:

cheeses_h_rice
10-24-2005, 02:05 PM
As a double stab in the back, fools are griping about Sox fans leaving the game early last night after Jenks blew the save.

Yes, we Sox fans are that fair-weathered.:rolleyes:

A few people in our section left at the top of the 9th inning, thereby missing Jenks blowing the lead and Pods' homer.

I'm sure that was worth it to beat the traffic, too.

:rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
10-24-2005, 02:22 PM
A few people in our section left at the top of the 9th inning, thereby missing Jenks blowing the lead and Pods' homer.

I'm sure that was worth it to beat the traffic, too.

:rolleyes:
This is beyond the deepest depths of stupidity. What kind of jackass leaves a World Series game early?

uh-oh...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17647830.jpg

"GET UP YOU WHITE SOX! YEAH BABY WOOOOOO! Oh man, ever since I became a White Sox fan, these have been the greatest eight days of my life! I can't believe how many people showed up at this stadium. This is supposed to be a dump, but I walk into the men's room and I'm like, What the hell? Where are the troughs? I'm thinkin', you guys actually wizz in private like? So I said What is this, some kind of Country Club? But no one wanted to engage me in witty reparte, all they wanted to do was talk about the strike zones and Jenks's stats against left handers and whether Uribe and Podsednik ever faced Lidge before, and I'm like What the hell are you nerds going on about? The Sox are winning! WOOOOO! THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS BABY! You guys are killjoys, I'm SO out of here. It's never this cold at Wrigley -- they schedule their games for when the weather is warmer. I hope there's some bars around here. Later Skaters, GO SOX!"

FielderJones
10-24-2005, 02:38 PM
"GET UP YOU WHITE SOX! YEAH BABY WOOOOOO! Oh man, ever since I became a White Sox fan, these have been the greatest eight days of my life! I can't believe how many people showed up at this stadium. This is supposed to be a dump, but I walk into the men's room and I'm like, What the hell? Where are the troughs? I'm thinkin', you guys actually wizz in private like? So I said What is this, some kind of Country Club? But no one wanted to engage me in witty reparte, all they wanted to do was talk about the strike zones and Jenks's stats against left handers and whether Uribe and Podsednik ever faced Lidge before, and I'm like What the hell are you nerds going on about? The Sox are winning! WOOOOO! THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS BABY! You guys are killjoys, I'm SO out of here. It's never this cold at Wrigley -- they schedule their games for when the weather is warmer. I hope there's some bars around here. Later Skaters, GO SOX!"

:thumbsup: POTW! :roflmao:

PatK
10-24-2005, 02:55 PM
What gets me sick is seeing the fans that are being interviewed after the games.

Half of them are wearing their brand new, stiff-billed hats that might as well still have the price tags dangling from them.

That, and seeing the cast members of every crappy Fox show in attendance.

LongLiveFisk
10-24-2005, 03:11 PM
This is beyond the deepest depths of stupidity. What kind of jackass leaves a World Series game early?

Yeah, I mean World Series games in Chicago are only a dime a dozen. :rolleyes:

SOXPHILE
10-24-2005, 03:47 PM

uh-oh...

BWAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!:rolling:

Risk
10-24-2005, 03:58 PM

uh-oh...

Awesome.:rolling: :D:

Risk

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 04:36 PM

uh-oh...

made my day, thank you

Half Cocked Jack
10-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I can confirm Mac leaving in the third. He was being a real arrogant prick, walking up the aisle between 136 and 135 and posing for photographs with people while the game was going on. Obviously, a casual fan of the team (at best).

patbooyah
10-24-2005, 10:24 PM
today my dad played a soundbite of mac saying something along the lines of "i'm done with the sox. done with 'em."

TornLabrum
10-24-2005, 10:33 PM
I don't really care how much he calls himself a Sox fan now. I missed the cut on your dad's show, Pat, but I've read what he said. He's just another front runner. When the Cubs were the "toast of Chicago" (at least to the media) he was at The Urinal singing Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Seems like he didn't care all that much for his Sox allegiance then, wearing that Cubs gear. **** him.

zach23
10-24-2005, 11:04 PM
I don't really care how much he calls himself a Sox fan now. I missed the cut on your dad's show, Pat, but I've read what he said. He's just another front runner. When the Cubs were the "toast of Chicago" (at least to the media) he was at The Urinal singing Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Seems like he didn't care all that much for his Sox allegiance then, wearing that Cubs gear. **** him.

I have listened to him for years also and I remember when he was doing live remotes up north when SamMe was approaching his 500th HR and for the Cubs home opener. I also remember when he dumped his season tickets and basicaly gave up on the Sox for the past few years.
If you are going to do things like that, don't call out others.

awesomefan
10-25-2005, 12:33 AM
Read this in the Chicago Sun-Times....

Bernie Mac sang "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley Field in game 6 of the 2003 NL Championship Series. The Bartman game. Minutes later, the Cubs collapsed.

Bernie Mac said "The Cubs asked would I sing, I said yeah. I'm from Chicago, and we finally got a winner and I didn't want to NOT support them."

Instead of singing, "root, root, root for the Cubb-bies, he sang "root, root, root for the champions" & cursed the Cubs out of the World Series. He said he sang "champions" because they should have been champions.

Bernie Mac was at game 2 of the White Sox World Series wearing a White Sox jacket & he said "I ain't never been no Cub fan" "They hate us, and we hate them."

Bernie Mac might really be a White Sox fan, they say. Oh Well.

LuvSox
10-25-2005, 12:41 AM
**** Bernie Mac, once and for all.

I refer you to the first 30 minutes of today's Steve Dahl radio program. Proof positive Mac is a loser.

doublem23
10-25-2005, 12:47 AM
Bernie Mac was a Sox fan, but there was an interview with ESPN the Magazine a few years back in which Mac proclaimed that he was raised a Sox fan but switched allegiances when the Sox dealt Sammy Sosa to the Cubs because Sammy "played the game the right way," or some bull**** like that. Bernie Mac is *gasp* a front-runner.

TheOldRoman
10-25-2005, 12:48 AM
The only problem with that is that Mac went on the Dan Patrick show last year and proclaimed himself a Cubs fan. He said that he used to be a Sox fan, but "no more". He menioned that we blew "like a ten game lead down the stretch in 03" (it was never bigger than 2.5). He also commented on how hard it was to root for the Sox because they were clueless and would never win. He went on to say KW traded Carlos Lee for "a bag of balls".

BRDSR
10-25-2005, 12:51 AM
Why do you all worry about what celebrities are or aren't White Sox fans? I think the Bernie Mac is decent entertainment, but beyond that what does it matter who he roots for. If he roots for the White Sox when they're in the playoffs and the Cubs when they're in the playoffs, why is that somehow different than your neighbor who does the same thing?

Cubs and Red Cubs fans worry about what celebrities are rooting for their teams. They somehow need validation that it is okay in the celebrity world to root for their teams. We don't need that. Don't worry about it.

OEO Magglio
10-25-2005, 12:59 AM
I hate celebrites.

Nellie_Fox
10-25-2005, 01:03 AM
If he roots for the White Sox when they're in the playoffs and the Cubs when they're in the playoffs, why is that somehow different than your neighbor who does the same thing?Maybe because he can get tickets and my neighbor and I can't?

Look, I really don't care, but there is a difference when celebrities are front-runners for the above stated reason.

LuvSox
10-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Why do you all worry about what celebrities are or aren't White Sox fans? I think the Bernie Mac is decent entertainment, but beyond that what does it matter who he roots for. If he roots for the White Sox when they're in the playoffs and the Cubs when they're in the playoffs, why is that somehow different than your neighbor who does the same thing?

Cubs and Red Cubs fans worry about what celebrities are rooting for their teams. They somehow need validation that it is okay in the celebrity world to root for their teams. We don't need that. Don't worry about it.

Actually, it's not about celebrities at all. It's about us. It's about being a fan no matter what. It's about sticking with our team through thick and thin. It's about going to Sox games in April when it's cold and rainy or going to games when the team was in the ****ter, being managed by the Bevington's and Manuel's of the world. It's about wearing Sox gear with pride when the media darling teams are in the spotlight with their curses and crybaby fans.

No, we don't need Hollywood. Hell, we don't want Hollywood. We just want the White Sox to win the World Series.

patbooyah
10-25-2005, 01:45 AM
I have listened to him for years also and I remember when he was doing live remotes up north when SamMe was approaching his 500th HR and for the Cubs home opener. I also remember when he dumped his season tickets and basicaly gave up on the Sox for the past few years.

yes, he did do an appearance celebrating sammy. that being said, i haven't let him live it down.

BUT

he is not using connections at fox/mlb to score seats. he is not taking seats that could go to sox fans. he is sitting in seats that he has because he is a season ticket holder. for every year until i went to college he was a ticket holder. at some point my brothers and i were too busy to go to games. the tickets weren't being used. just because you don't buy season tickets doesn't mean you have given up on a team. he invested thousands in seats this year, and has already done so for next year. that is a big difference from bernie mac.

Soxfest
10-25-2005, 04:51 AM
B.Mac can stay on northside noboby cares about about him he is wanting attention:mad:

JRIG
10-25-2005, 06:29 AM
today my dad played a soundbite of mac saying something along the lines of "i'm done with the sox. done with 'em."

Yes, Mac walked right by me in the third inning on his way up the aisle in the middle of the inning and never came back.

But, props to Chi McBride (John Larroquette Show, Boston Public, Threshold) who had good seats in about the third row. He stayed the entire game, as far as I know, and was extremely nice to fans wanting pictures and autographs.

And might I push fans of your dad who are out of town to listen via the web at www.wckg.com (http://www.wckg.com) or www.dahl.com (http://www.dahl.com) Good quality audio on the webcast. And great stuff yesterday, including an interview with true Sox fan Rich Roeper.

zach23
10-25-2005, 06:32 AM
yes, he did do an appearance celebrating sammy. that being said, i haven't let him live it down.

BUT

he is not using connections at fox/mlb to score seats. he is not taking seats that could go to sox fans. he is sitting in seats that he has because he is a season ticket holder. for every year until i went to college he was a ticket holder. at some point my brothers and i were too busy to go to games. the tickets weren't being used. just because you don't buy season tickets doesn't mean you have given up on a team. he invested thousands in seats this year, and has already done so for next year. that is a big difference from bernie mac.

Yes, I agree there is a big difference between Steve and Bernie Mac, but there is also a big difference between Steve and the die hard fans he is trying to align himself with right now. He could have been a voice for the die hards when things weren't as good as they are right now, but instead he was a shill for the Cubs.
Even though you and your brothers couldn't go to games, that shouldn't have stopped him from going if he was the true die hard he is claiming now. He has the time and resources that most fans don't have and he chose not to go.
Sorry Pat, but Hal is right, he is the definition of a front runner. I would be willing to bet that if times get tough for this team we won't see him at many games or hear him devote much time to talking about them.

edit> And this is coming from someone who is a big fan of Steve. I like his show, but in my opinion he is a front runner. I am also not alone in that opinion amongst his fans.

henchmanUK
10-25-2005, 08:12 AM
It's never this cold at Wrigley -- they schedule their games for when the weather is warmer.

:roflmao:

PaulDrake
10-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Actually, it's not about celebrities at all. It's about us. It's about being a fan no matter what. It's about sticking with our team through thick and thin. It's about going to Sox games in April when it's cold and rainy or going to games when the team was in the ****ter, being managed by the Bevington's and Manuel's of the world. It's about wearing Sox gear with pride when the media darling teams are in the spotlight with their curses and crybaby fans.

No, we don't need Hollywood. Hell, we don't want Hollywood. We just want the White Sox to win the World Series. It's an overused word but THAT was an awesome post.

cheeses_h_rice
10-25-2005, 09:33 AM

BUT

I have to add that Steve Dahl's Sham-ME* worship in 1998 was very nauseating, especially coming from an avowed White Sox fan such as your dad. Didn't he give Sammy a car or something for all those zingers he hit, while broadcasting from the roof of the Cubby Bear?

Anyway, it's water under the bridge. I'm sure by now Steve has realized that Sham-ME*'s amazing power numbers might not have been 100% legitimate.

:)

StrTrkker
10-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Did anyone see the Richard Roper interview on Fox 32 post game after Sundays game? He mentioned Bernie Mac and Scottie Pippen as being fake sox fans. He made some good points and the hosts ask him if hes spreading Sox interests to Hollywood since hes a movie reviewer with Ebert. He said hes doing what he can to show Sox pride in California.

I knew he was a Sox fan but boy he really went outta the way to make his pont across about what he called Bi-Soxuall fans. Celebrity fans who cheered for the Cubs when they were winning in 03 and now jumping on the Sox bandwagon.

Dice
10-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Did anyone notice another phony Sox fan in Carlos Bernard? For anyone who doesn't know him he plays Tony Almeda on the hit show, "24". Bernard is a native north-sider and is a known Cubs fan. I watch "24" religiously and I notice how he has a Cubs mug when he drinks his coffee on the show. And then I see him in Game 1 donning White Sox gear. Come on now!?

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 10:08 AM
They should have an oral exam before letting people into these WS games:

1) Spell 'Podsednik'
2) Spell 'Pierzynski'

Now that you've eliminated almost every front-runner who don't normally follow the Sox...:D:

patbooyah
10-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Yes, I agree there is a big difference between Steve and Bernie Mac, but there is also a big difference between Steve and the die hard fans he is trying to align himself with right now. He could have been a voice for the die hards when things weren't as good as they are right now, but instead he was a shill for the Cubs.
Even though you and your brothers couldn't go to games, that shouldn't have stopped him from going if he was the true die hard he is claiming now. He has the time and resources that most fans don't have and he chose not to go.
Sorry Pat, but Hal is right, he is the definition of a front runner. I would be willing to bet that if times get tough for this team we won't see him at many games or hear him devote much time to talking about them.

edit> And this is coming from someone who is a big fan of Steve. I like his show, but in my opinion he is a front runner. I am also not alone in that opinion amongst his fans.

first of all, there have been two years since the new comiskey opened that my dad hasn't been a part of a season ticket package. you can't blame him for not wanting to go to games all the time. first of all, his show ends at seven, which means he misses the first 3 innings if he wants to go at all. secondly, he immediately becomes a target for drunk fans. for example, on saturday after the game a drunk guy approached him and said, "f you, dahl!" and got into his face. it was insane. thank god, security was around.

also, i don't think my dad is claiming he is as die hard as the people on this site. in fact, he teases me and the people on this site for being a little nutty. my dad is a fan of the sox. he likes going to games, but mainly because he wants to spend time with his sons. every time i have called in this year to talk sox he called me "crazy" because i spent so much time reading about the sox here.

also...
my dad doesn't do a sports radio show!!!!!!! he doesn't even have a sports guy! if you're going to survive 25+ years in this city you have to be topical and entertaining. you can't just ignore the cubs, who happen to have a large following. i think it's fair to say that during the limited amount of time that he talks about baseball, he is supportive of the white sox.

the bottom line is, he could have easily gotten seats just like mac's. he could have waltzed in for the world series and sat three rows off the field. he could have gotten the tickets for free. but he didn't! he bought season tickets! for this year and next!

[edit] p.s. - thanks for listening! :cool:

zach23
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
first of all, there have been two years since the new comiskey opened that my dad hasn't been a part of a season ticket package. you can't blame him for not wanting to go to games all the time. first of all, his show ends at seven, which means he misses the first 3 innings if he wants to go at all. secondly, he immediately becomes a target for drunk fans. for example, on saturday after the game a drunk guy approached him and said, "f you, dahl!" and got into his face. it was insane. thank god, security was around.

also, i don't think my dad is claiming he is as die hard as the people on this site. in fact, he teases me and the people on this site for being a little nutty. my dad is a fan of the sox. he likes going to games, but mainly because he wants to spend time with his sons. every time i have called in this year to talk sox he called me "crazy" because i spent so much time reading about the sox here.

also...
my dad doesn't do a sports radio show!!!!!!! he doesn't even have a sports guy! if you're going to survive 25+ years in this city you have to be topical and entertaining. you can't just ignore the cubs, who happen to have a large following. i think it's fair to say that during the limited amount of time that he talks about baseball, he is supportive of the white sox.

the bottom line is, he could have easily gotten seats just like mac's. he could have waltzed in for the world series and sat three rows off the field. he could have gotten the tickets for free. but he didn't! he bought season tickets! for this year and next!

[edit] p.s. - thanks for listening! :cool:

Good points Pat, I never thought about it that way. Guys like me don't have to worry about anyone recognizing them at the park. Like I said, I am a fan of your dad's show and will continue to be.
But I have to admit that I didn't listen to him at all during October of 2003. :D:

Brian26
10-25-2005, 04:20 PM
also, i don't think my dad is claiming he is as die hard as the people on this site. in fact, he teases me and the people on this site for being a little nutty.

On Dahl.com, I believe he called us a bunch of psychos when we called him out on the absurdity of the "chick-scoping" bench. :cool:

I do give him credit for completely erasing "Boys of Zimmer" from his history. That hasn't been played in years.

gobears1987
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Pat, I love your Dad's show. Let me just say I'm glad his experiment to try and turn you into a Flubs fan failed.

MUsoxfan
10-26-2005, 02:53 AM
Y but there is also a big difference between Steve and the die hard fans he is trying to align himself with right now.

Agreeing with Pat, I know that Steve was a long time season ticket holder that got frustrated. I know that he is the only one that gave up on season tickets because of frustration. The fact is that he paid thousands of dollars earlier this year to get Scout Seat season tickets. That's a huge commitment. I don't recall him saying he invested that kind of cash into other MLB teams

Wordwoman
10-26-2005, 03:42 PM

I admit that I was peeved that so many "unreal" fans enjoyed watching the World Series at the Cell while the rest of us were watching at home nursing our bruised dialing fingers.

I further admit that I was aggravated enough by Steve Dahl having a momentary lapse in judgement and venturing to the Northside------as well as dumping his season tickets-------that I stopped listening to him daily for a while. I think of Steve as a passionate White Sox fan who fell asleep at the wheel and thankfully woke back up almost immediately.

How many real fans refused to buy tickets all these years because of their distaste for Reinsdorf? Were they still real fans because they love the Sox and only watch from home? Sure. But did they hurt the team by not buying tickets and filling up the seats? Definitely. Or how about all the real fans who simply can't afford to buy tickets? Are they any less loyal fans? Nope.

When the Cubs were in the playoffs, I watched. I couldn't make myself cheer for them, but since they were from Chicago, I also couldn't make myself wish them ill-------well, not aloud anyway. And yeah, I had marks on my knuckles from biting them from the pain of it all. Still I figured it was good sportsmanship to leave it to fate. And sure as heck, fate took care of it, and I couldn't help but smile at the outcome. Ok, maybe even dance around a little in my living room.

But the thing is-------this is Chicago. And our Chicago stretches all over the United States when it comes to the White Sox. So while I don't want Cub fans like Bernie Mac claiming to be diehard Sox fans when they clearly aren't, I don't mind them jumping on the bandwagon providing they don't pretend to be something that they are not. The lack of respect for the White Sox has aggravated me for years. The Cub adoration for nothing aggravates me even more. Yet the thing is, that the more fans we have------celebrities included--------brings us more respect, more revenue, more recognition, and hence a better ability to repeat a year like this one.

Real fans-------you know who you are. Chill. Today is the first day of White Sox dominance as THE baseball team in Chicago.

PandaSox
10-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Wow!

All I know is that I agree with so many opinions here...I can't even "quote" everyone...

I am SO glad I found this site...and sure wish I found it a LOT sooner...but, now I know about it...and can come back again and again!

Pat Dahl! Wow...I remember listening to your dad when I was a little kid...and I'm about 10 years older than you...and I still adore him! However, have been too stressed to listen to ANYTHING on the way home from work recently! Very cool to "meet" ya here!

All I know is I am glad it's the Sox in the World Series...I don't like fake fans...or band wagon jumpers...it's annoying. Just like people who discovered a music group during their 1999 comeback tour...when they've been around since the 70's or 80's...and are running around saying "hey, did you hear that new band..???" Ugh! But...this is a HAPPY place...so...I'm not gonna rant...

GO SOX! May it be over tonight...as nice as it'd be to have them win it all at home...I want the SWEEP!

SoXPriDe33
10-26-2005, 05:10 PM
I have to say even tho being one of the younger posters here, I love listening to Dahl and I agree with him that the phony fans there shouldn't have the right to witness the game at the Cell. The true fans should be there cheering their team on to a world series victory. That has to be one of things that I don't like about how the MLB is run. If you are Bud and his posse you should be in a skybox like the other head honchos and let the real fans be there close to the action giving their team the Home-Field Advantage that they earned.

TornLabrum
10-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Sorry to wait so long to reply to this, but this is my first time online since Monday. The "he" I was referring to was Bernie Mac.

TornLabrum
10-26-2005, 11:39 PM

Unfortunately for your argument, I wasn't referring to Steve Dahl. I was referring to Bernie Mac.