PDA

View Full Version : Berman saying "we."

Argalarga
10-24-2005, 02:30 PM
I read somewere on here that Chris Berman actually referred to the Red Sox as "we" or "us" during his calling of the ALDS. Did that actually happen? I'm trying to settle a bet.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-24-2005, 02:37 PM
At one point a Red Sox pitcher struck out a White Sox hitter and Berman said, "There we go."
I don't have a audio link, but I distinctly remember it, as I'm sure most of us do who heard it...

Uncle_Patrick
10-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Didn't he also say something in Game 3 about "how we get back in this game"? My dad told me about that. I was listening to the radio in my car on my way to the Wisconsin Dells during Game 3, so I missed the TV broadcast.

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 05:39 PM
I never heard we, but I wouldn't doubt it Berman is a huge East Coast homer.

greenpeach
10-24-2005, 10:24 PM
I never heard we, but I wouldn't doubt it Berman is a huge East Coast homer.

I think Berman is just an East Coast prep school snob. He's claimed on many an occasion that the SF Giants are his favorite team. Go figure.

SOXintheBURGH
10-24-2005, 10:26 PM
It was when Papelbon got a K to end the 7th I think.

SoXPriDe33
10-24-2005, 10:35 PM
I also think I heard somewhere that he is from Boston so that may explain why he refers to the Red Sox as "we" or "us" because that is where he is from. I could be making that story completly up but I could have swore I heard it somewhere on the radio.

Brian26
10-24-2005, 10:39 PM
At one point a Red Sox pitcher struck out a White Sox hitter and Berman said, "There we go."

You're close, but what you actually heard was Captain Ahab shouting, "There she blows" as Berman was coming back from the buffet table after the 7th inning stretch.

gobears1987
10-24-2005, 11:00 PM
He is from Boston, towards the end of game 3 he was reminising how he used to go to tons of games at Fenway for only a few dollars when he was young. He grew up with that team.

HotelWhiteSox
10-24-2005, 11:18 PM
It was something like "maybe this was the spark we need to get going" (game 3). It got sickening after a while, after every Boston hit, we all got to hear "and here come the Red Sox...", yeah, we know how that turned out

buehrle4cy05
10-24-2005, 11:19 PM
You're close, but what you actually heard was Captain Ahab shouting, "There she blows" as Berman was coming back from the buffet table after the 7th inning stretch.

Was that before or after the fight with Kruk over the last pork chop?

dcb33
10-24-2005, 11:20 PM
It was when Papelbon got a K to end the 7th I think.

I distinctly remember that call as well. It was Rowand that Papelbon struck out.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-24-2005, 11:29 PM
He is from Boston, towards the end of game 3 he was reminising how he used to go to tons of games at Fenway for only a few dollars when he was young. He grew up with that team.
That's all fine and good - if he's calling the game for a local Boston station, or just sitting in the stands with the rest of the fans. Berman was getting paid to neutrally and objectively announce the play-by-play for a national television audience. He did not do his job.

But the real question is, why are we still discussing this? It was two playoff series ago, and the Sox are a mere 2 wins away from a World Championship. Argalarga, your bet should've been settled weeks ago.