PDA

View Full Version : Who is baseball's best NATIONAL play-by-play voice?

Viva Medias B's
10-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Your choice could include a current national broadcaster or someone who is not currently doing baseball games. One example of the latter would be Bob Costas, who is not doing baseball because NBC does not have MLB broadcast rights.

Banix12
10-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Of the ones I personally remember, I loved that national combo of Costas and Bob Uecker. Mostly for Uecker but Costas calls a clean game.

Fox's best is Brennaman, I'm on record for saying he is far superior to Buck.

LuvSox
10-24-2005, 01:49 PM
It will be John Rooney.

SoxFan76
10-24-2005, 02:26 PM
I like Jon Miller.

wdelaney72
10-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Anybody who doesn't feel the need to bring up the Cubs when they're broadcasting a White Sox game.

I don't think one exists.

Jon Miller does a decent job, but his partner sucks.

MikeLove
10-24-2005, 03:36 PM
id say miller is easily the best current natl announcer

Over By There
10-24-2005, 03:43 PM
I like Dan Schulman (sp?), the ESPN radio announcer. He seems to do a nice, professional PBP job.

buehrle4cy05
10-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I like Jon Miller, but Joe Morgan brings him down. I also don't have a problem with Brennamen. As far as analysts go, I always have liked Tony Gwynn.

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Jon Miller

The_Floridian
10-24-2005, 04:31 PM
I've seen a lot of people on this board knock Miller, and I can't really understand why. I've always thought he was very good. Maybe it's because of Morgan. I dunno.

You know there was a time when Brooklyn Dodger fans used to get to hear Vin Scully AND Red Barber?

Man.

hose
10-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Besides Rooney I would go with the team of Jon Miller and Joe Morgan.

schmitty9800
10-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Thom Brenneman. Kevin Harlan should branch out into baseball...

veeter
10-25-2005, 10:47 AM
I like Schulman and Gary Thorne.

doublem23
10-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Jon Miller is very good, but I also really like Steve Stone. I know he's been brought down by some of the buffoons he's worked with (an aging Harry Caray, Chip Caray, and now the idiots that do Wednesday afternoon baseball with him on ESPN), but he's a solid broadcaster, IMO.

wdelaney72
10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Jon Miller has a lot of Pat Foley on big plays. They both break into a great falsetto voice. I love it. I will agree that Thom Brenneman is decent as well, but Jon Miller just has a very good radio voice, as does John Rooney.

I don't care how many seasons he spent with the Cubs, Steve Stone as a color-analyst is still the best I've ever heard.

MeteorsSox4367
10-25-2005, 11:25 AM
I like Dan Shulman on ESPN (both radio and TV). He's solid and doesn't have that broadcasting-school voice. Shulman is also solid on college basketball. Dave O'Brien on ESPN is good, although he reminds me a bit of someone trying to sound like Al Michaels.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Jon Miller has a lot of Pat Foley on big plays. They both break into a great falsetto voice. I love it. I will agree that Thom Brenneman is decent as well, but Jon Miller just has a very good radio voice, as does John Rooney.

I don't care how many seasons he spent with the Cubs, Steve Stone as a color-analyst is still the best I've ever heard.

You can say that about Thom as well. He wasn't bad with the Cubs, just out of his element. He didn't have cute little stories about his days broadcasting a crappy Oakland A's team or whatever. I don't think he was a drinker, either. I think it's part of Tribune protocol that you have to be mildly buzzed to properly call a Cubs' game.

The worst was Jim Palmer. At least Joe Morgan kinda focuses on the game, even if it is a bit skewed from what we're watching. ("Great play by the second baseman. Not as great as when I played there, but he shows promise.")
Jim was a monitor watcher and it showed. Every little camera shot of the crowd, you can count on at least one time: "Ah, I remember when I was like that young man, bringing my glove to the game." As bad as some of you tear into Ed Farmer, Jim makes him seem attentive in comparison.

NardiWasHere
10-25-2005, 12:36 PM
I love listening to Costas broadcasting anything. Currently, I think Miller is the best guy out there. I HATE Morgan... he is so egotistical and irratating. I almost rather hear McCarver. Stone is the best color-man I've ever heard. While all the other analysts are talking about the last play, Stone is talking about the current and next play. As a result, you get more of a technical and strategic-based broadcast that I love.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-25-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't have too much of an opinion on play-by-play guys (other than the fact that Fox could do WAY better than Joe Buck), but Jim Kaat, IMNTHO, is the best color man in baseball. When I'm watching the Sox and Yankees on the internet, I'm actually glad when they stream the Yankees TV feed so I can hear Kaat's analysis. But I also agree that Steve Stone is excellent...

wdelaney72
10-25-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't have too much of an opinion on play-by-play guys (other than the fact that Fox could do WAY better than Joe Buck), but Jim Kaat, IMNTHO, is the best color man in baseball. When I'm watching the Sox and Yankees on the internet, I'm actually glad when they stream the Yankees TV feed so I can hear Kaat's analysis. But I also agree that Steve Stone is excellent...

I've never heard Jim Kaat, but I'd love to get a listen someday.

Mr. White Sox
10-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Jon Miller and Gary Thorne are both the "best" available nationally, IMHO. That is, of course, excluding their color commentators; Morgan brings the entire broadcast down.

SSN721
10-26-2005, 02:52 PM
I have to say Jon Miller, to me it is always a treat to hear him call games.

TomBradley72
10-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Jon Miller....during the 2002 World Series he made this call on a homer to RF...." there's a drive to deep RF....(the RF) waits for the carom.......that never comes! Home Run!"...loved that description.

Bucky F. Dent
10-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Where's the love for Vin Scully!?!

southsider13
10-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Joe Buck.

Professor
10-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Though I have been criticized for saying this in another thread, I like Costas as far as non-partisan national broadcasters go (if there is such a thing?).

SouthSide_HitMen
10-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Though I have been criticized for saying this in another thread, I like Costas as far as non-partisan national broadcasters go (if there is such a thing?).

I'll take the arrogent Costas over the incompetitant and brutal Buck / McCarver or (Gasp) Chris Berman Ass Clown Road Show.

The mute button has been the best national announcer for the past several years.

TornLabrum
10-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Of those currently broadcasting nationally, I have to go with Jon Miller. Too bad he's saddled with Joe "I Never Met a Player as Good as I Was" Morgan.

As for Costas, he may pontificate, but he does a nice PBP. (Did anyone catch his interview a month or two ago with Bob Sirott? He actually came off as human. In fact there might even be a little Grobber in him.)

HotelWhiteSox
10-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Of current guys, I'd have to say I enjoy Dan Schulman (ESPN Radio), though I don't like many national guys, probably since I prefer local coverage and they can't know as much as you and me about the team since they have different assignments and sometimes different partners regularly. Out of everyone I've heard, Rooney is my favorite, don't gooooo! :whiner:

TornLabrum
10-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Of current guys, I'd have to say I enjoy Dan Schulman (ESPN Radio), though I don't like many national guys, probably since I prefer local coverage and they can't know as much as you and me about the team since they have different assignments and sometimes different partners regularly. Out of everyone I've heard, Rooney is my favorite, don't gooooo! :whiner:

Shulman drives me nuts with the extra syllables he puts into certain words because of his emphasis on the letter D. Hearing about Jim Edimonds was driving me nuts.

BTW, anyone familiar with WGN's Max Armstrong would have to wonder if they went to the same broadcasting school.

WestSox
10-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Jon Miller does a decent job, but his partner sucks.

I think they both suck. Miller is baseball's version of John "Mr. Obvious" Madden. Morgan's a perpetual complainer who thinks he's God's gift to baseball.

I like Rooney, Gary Thorne, Steve Stone, and Psycho Steve Lyons.

gobears1987
10-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Jeff Brantley

Knoxville Sox
10-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Brennaman, because the voice is a carbon copy of his father. Marty Brennaman is too damn good for the Reds franchise.

And then there is Skip Carey. I challenge you to find a better or more perfect combination of talent and humility than this tribute to quality baseball broadcasting.

getonbckthr
10-31-2005, 02:40 PM
my dream team is Keith Jackson (best announcer in the history of television and radio and has previous world series experience) and Steve Stone.

ShoelessJoeS
10-31-2005, 07:19 PM
I like Jon Miller.
I second that motion, but listening to Rooney on a national level would be better.

ShoelessJoeS
10-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Jeff Brantley
"I knew Freddy Guzman and Chad Hermanson would win a championship on the South Side of Chicago"

asindc
10-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Jon Miller.

SOXSINCE'70
11-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Where's the love for Vin Scully!?!

I'll cast my vote for him.For all the Rooney fans (i'm among them),
he also used Scully as a role model.Once you get past Rooney's
Columbia School of Broadcasting delivery,he calls one hell of a game.
I just wish it were with the Sox in 2006.:(: