Chicago
10-24-2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.nbc5.com/sports/5161135/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2265994&dppid=65192

Iguana775
10-24-2005, 01:07 PM
I hope he gives it back to Paulie.

rdwj
10-24-2005, 01:13 PM
I say - tell Paulie it's his when he signs a long-term Sox contract!

patbooyah
10-24-2005, 01:14 PM
hasn't this jag already said he is going to sell the ball? paulie, from what i hear, really wanted it, but the guy wouldn't give it up.

IlliniSox
10-24-2005, 01:15 PM

Good call, nice carrot for PK.

Kilroy
10-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Hold on to it. Wait until he gets an offer to meet PK in person so that he can get a few pics and maybe an autographed bat and jersey. Its worth that, at the very least.

Unregistered
10-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Hold on to it. Wait until he gets an offer to meet PK in person so that he can get a few pics and maybe an autographed bat and jersey. Its worth that, at the very least.They offered him an autographed ball and bat at the game - guess it wasn't enough.

itsnotrequired
10-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Only give the ball back if Paulie agrees to a contract extension with the Sox.:tongue:

Mickster
10-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Hold on to it. Wait until he gets an offer to meet PK in person so that he can get a few pics and maybe an autographed bat and jersey. Its worth that, at the very least.

He was immediately offered to meet PK in person and get sigs on ball, bat, etc.......

gobears1987
10-24-2005, 01:28 PM
"I'm thinking that if Paul really wanted it, you know, I would entertain that. I just would, because I can understand -- it's a grand slam ball in the World Series," he said.
PK hasn't officially said he wants the ball. What I get from this quote is that if he says he wants it, the person will give it to him.

Chicago
I would want more than a bat and ball... I mean come on... think about if you had this ball... how hard would it be to give it up... think about having that ball in your Sox Collection.

team signed bat,ball, jersey
PK signs contract with sox
I get to go to remaining games of the WS, expenses paid.
throw out the first pitch opening day
season tickets

With the contract he's looking at next year... he could do better than a bat and ball.

tifosiv122
Nope a ball and bat are not enough IMO.

If it was me...ball, bat, jersey and get to meet the team.

A fan should be rewarded and the above items cost nothing to the player or the team but the ball is priceless.

Erik

chooper
10-24-2005, 01:30 PM
as much as i want to pay off my student loans, i think i would still give the ball back. i'm sure the sox would give the guy something in return if he gave it back. they know how important that ball is to the club's history.

Kilroy
10-24-2005, 01:30 PM
He was immediately offered to meet PK in person and get sigs on ball, bat, etc.......

That part wasn't reported in the story, so I'd say that's hearsay, at least for now. If that's true that he was offered that and turned it down, he's a fool. Its not like it was Bonds' homerun record ball or something.

Chicago
10-24-2005, 01:38 PM
No it was only the PK World Series grand slam ball, which is the only one is White Sox History.

A.T. Money
10-24-2005, 01:38 PM

Yes....very good idea!

Chicken Dinner
10-24-2005, 01:42 PM
I'd give the guards my number and tell them that if Paulie wants it back, he needs to give me a call. Sending 2 guards to get the ball back is pretty un-personal.

A.T. Money
10-24-2005, 01:44 PM
For the ball I'd say:

Sign an extension (yeah right)
Tickets to Game 6 and 7 if it goes that far
Free 2006 season tickets
A team autographed baseball and a photo with the team

PennStater98r
10-24-2005, 01:47 PM
My brother was at the Yankees/Sox Beatles game in which Posada got his 1000th hit. He was sitting in the patio area for the game, and a guy at the table next to him caught the ball (ground rule double).

Now, I am not saying that this guy should ask Paul for money or anything, but Yankee reps came to this guy and offered him a signed ball and bat from Posada. The guy said, 'no.' It finally got to the point where he was offered $1500 for the ball during the game.

Now, it'd be nice if Paul were to get the ball - no doubt, but the bottom line is that the ball does have value. The guy that caught it was very lucky, and if he wants to keep it, why shouldn't he?

If he wants to try to get back some of the money he paid to go to the game - why not? I dunno. I'm sure I'll be minority on this view, but I'd want to keep the ball for me as a grand memento - and if Paul or the White Sox were to offer me something - like say season tickets for next year or something like that - maybe a team autographed ball - that's when I'd start weighing what's the "price tag" (not necessarily money) would be. If Posada's 1000th hit is worth $1500 - and we're talking about Paul getting a 4-5 year contract worth $60-$65 million, why shouldn't we consider the question: What's the ball worth?

soxgirl98
10-24-2005, 01:51 PM
I know the guy who caught the ball. I haven't talked to him yet but I think he just doesn't know what to do.

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 01:53 PM
I know the guy who caught the ball. I haven't talked to him yet but I think he just doesn't know what to do.

Tell him to give the ball back to Paul immediately following the press conference announcing his contract signing with the White Sox.

I can't believe I wrote that... :o:

Chicago
tell him i'll give him... $500 and buy him a Konerko Jersey:smile:

HotelWhiteSox
Give it back, he'd get something in return (which I wouldn't even want, holding a ball hostage that someone else hit is childish imo), and it means a lot more to PK than it does to him.

Unregistered
10-24-2005, 01:56 PM
That part wasn't reported in the story, so I'd say that's hearsay, at least for now. If that's true that he was offered that and turned it down, he's a fool. Its not like it was Bonds' homerun record ball or something.From the Sun-Times:

After minutes of deep consideration, and fans taking his picture with the ball, the security guards told Claeys that he and all three of his buddies could come down to the inner workings of U.S. Cellular Field, where Konerko likely would autograph at least one ball and bat for him after the game.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/worldseries/cst-nws-fannotes24.html

PennStater98r
10-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Give it back, he'd get something in return (which I wouldn't even want, holding a ball hostage that someone else hit is childish imo), and it means a lot more to PK than it does to him.

See, I don't see it as holding the ball hostage - not in the least. It's a grand streak of luck - and even if it means less to the guy who caught it than the guy who hit it, it still means something to the guy who caught it. Most of us have waited our whole lives to catch a ball at the park. Even fewer of us have yearned to catch a homerun ball and actually done it. It means something to the fan - and it's not for us to say what he should do with it.

Because as much as everyone here says they'd give it back, if we were fortunate enough to be in that situation, it'd be a tough choice to make to give it back - especially when two ushers were the ones asking one of us for the ball instead of Paul - himself.

DenverSock
10-24-2005, 02:01 PM
I personally would want to keep that ball forever.

Uncle_Patrick
10-24-2005, 02:01 PM
hasn't this jag already said he is going to sell the ball? paulie, from what i hear, really wanted it, but the guy wouldn't give it up.

I heard on the Pete McMurray show today that the guy supposedly said he's willing to sit down and talk about an exchange.

CHIsoxNation
10-24-2005, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=PennStater98r] I dunno. I'm sure I'll be minority on this view, but I'd want to keep the ball for me as a grand memento - and if Paul or the White Sox were to offer me something - like say season tickets for next year or something like that - maybe a team autographed ball - that's when I'd start weighing what's the "price tag" (not necessarily money) would be. QUOTE]

Grand memento?

I don't get it, what's this ball worth to you or for person that caught the ball? You didn't do anything to deserve it. I just don't see why someone would ask so much for a ball that would mean a lot more to Paulie than it would anyone else. Yah, ok I'd take a free bat or a chance to meet Paulie and congratulate him but I think some people are just asking for way too much and are making themselves sound way too greedy here.

I'd give Paulie back the ball after I had the chance to meet him and tell him to bring back a World Series Championship for the City of Chicago in return.

BainesHOF
I'd never sell the ball to Konerko, but I'd certainly give it to him for one of his jerseys, bats, perhaps one of his backup first baseman mitts, along with tickets for the rest of the World Series, and an autographed team ball.

Chicago
a FREE bat and ball, only thing Paulie has to do is sign it... thats a slap in the face. This ball mean so much... so much that he would be willing to sign his name twice for it... WOW... he makes Millions.

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Grand memento?

I don't get it, what's this ball worth to you or for person that caught the ball? You didn't do anything to deserve it. I just don't see why someone would ask so much for a ball that would mean a lot more to Paulie than it would anyone else. Yah, ok I'd take a free bat or a chance to meet Paulie and congratulate him but I think some people are just asking for way too much and are making themselves sound way too greedy here.

I'd give Paulie back the ball after I had the chance to meet him and tell him to bring back a World Series Championship for the City of Chicago in return.

Here, this is for you sport.

http://www.leelefever.com/archives/cookie.jpg

Alanzo XXXVIII
10-24-2005, 02:08 PM
What the ****. Since when is anyone obligated to give a ball back to a player. I'm just as big a Sox fan as anyone else, but when I'm spending upwards of $1000 for 3 hours of entertainment and I got something in my possession that's going to net me a ton of money, I'd wait for the best offer from PK, autographed ball/bat, whatever he feels like bestowing. Paul Konerko makes just shy of $9,000,000. You do the math.

Oh yeah just send some security guards done to do the dirty work and get dissed when you don't bite. *****.

WhiteSox1983
10-24-2005, 02:13 PM
What the ****. Since when is anyone obligated to give a ball back to a player. I'm just as big a Sox fan as anyone else, but when I'm spending upwards of $1000 for 3 hours of entertainment and I got something in my possession that's going to net me a ton of money, I'd wait for the best offer from PK, autographed ball/bat, whatever he feels like bestowing. Paul Konerko makes just shy of $9,000,000. You do the math.

Oh yeah just send some security guards done to do the dirty work and get dissed when you don't bite. *****.

YEAH! White sox and MLB sell those tickets for 125 bucks anyways which is crazy, on top of that they sell the tickets to known scalpers who charge ten times the price. Now the people involved in baseball are whining about how much a fan wants to sell 1 ball for!?!? CRAZY! GO SOX!!!

WSoxFanForever
10-24-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm with the very few who say I'd give it back because I don't really care about making a fortune on E-Bay, and I love the Sox and PK hit the slammer, not me. However, i would want a signed bat, ball and I'd ask for a jersey. I'd give it back, however, if I could only have the ball and bat and a chance to maybe meet some of the guys.

I'm easy :)

pssondacubs
10-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Didn't Konerko's father say something to the effect that the Sox had all summer to renew his contract and didn't so Paul will most likely take the best offer he can get. If it's ok for a multi-millionaire to go for the best deal, wouldn't it be ok for a fan who won't see a fraction of what these millionaires make, to hold out for the best deal. I'd take a cue from these athletes, the heck with a ball and bat, show me the green....

WhiteSox1983
10-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Didn't Konerko's father say something to the effect that the Sox had all summer to renew his contract and didn't so Paul will most likely take the best offer he can get. If it's ok for a multi-millionaire to go for the best deal, wouldn't it be ok for a fan who won't see a fraction of what these millionaires make, to hold out for the best deal. I'd take a cue from these athletes, the heck with a ball and bat, show me the green....
Great Point. I agree life is not a game, money aint fake, get what you can. Talk about a great time in your life, your at one of the best ws games of all time, you get a grand slam ball worth thousands of dollars. and white sox are on track to win the series thats nuts. Wish it were me! Go Sox!!!

Gavin
10-24-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm a full time grad student and my TA stipend this year is $8000. If I had spent $1000+ and caught the ball, and then had some people, like people on this board, calling me a "jagoff" for not bending over and giving an $8 millionaire what he wants, I'd wonder why PK wasn't willing to spend 1/8th of his income on something he wanted so bad.

CHIsoxNation
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Here, this is for you sport.

I'd prefer a tootsie roll, thanks. :D:

Cat Thief
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
I would insist on giving it back to him myself so I could shake his hand and tell him, "Thanks for the memories."

Give me a cookie too.

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 02:28 PM
I would insist on giving it back to him myself so I could shake his hand and tell him, "Thanks for the memories."

Give me a cookie too.

Soxzilla
10-24-2005, 02:39 PM
I would give him back the ball for nothing in return. It means a heck of a lot more to him than it does to me.

rightsox
10-24-2005, 02:41 PM
I'd wonder why PK wasn't willing to spend 1/8th of his income on something he wanted so bad.
I'm with you. Nobody (well, except the woman here who knows him) knows this guy's situation. If he's broke or deep in dept (or spent his last $1k on that ticket), then this ball might mean a whole lot more to him than it does to Paulie. It'd be nice to give it back, and I'd like to see Paulie get it back, but this guy's gotta do what's best for him.

Besides, Paulie's probably going to do what's best for Paulie. Why should this guy be any different?

Also, just having hit the ball's got to be pretty cool. I doubt he'd look at it on his shelf 20 years from now and say, "wow. I forgot all about that one. that was cool."

rocky biddle
10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
The guy that caught it was one row behind me and about 5 seats to my left. There were security guards all over him trying to negotiate for the ball. It's impossible to be certain what I would do if I had caught it. Part of me thinks I would just give it back because it means a lot more to Paulie than it does to me. But at the same time, if he has the right to hold out for the best offer this offseason, why shouldn't I. I think I would tell Paulie that I'll give him the ball with no strings attached the day he re-signs with the White Sox. Otherwise I think I'd have to test the market.

skottyj242
10-24-2005, 02:46 PM
I wonder if the Hall of Fame has any interest in the ball.

mcfish
10-24-2005, 02:49 PM
I personally would want to keep that ball forever.I agree 100%. It would have a ton of meaning for me. I can't believe that someone posting on this board would actually say that after catching that ball it would mean nothing to them! Any ball I caught would mean a lot, but that ball would be priceless to me. People are acting as if the fans have nothing invested in the game - this means as much to us fans as it does to the players. If it didn't, then who would be paying for tickets and why would they even play?

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 02:52 PM
I think the choices in the poll are too limited. I said I would give Paulie the ball back, but I didn't specify when or for what. :cool:

Chicago
10-24-2005, 02:54 PM
when or for what would be what the posts are for... you would still have given it up, opposed to keeping it.

I could add..

blow it up and eat it...
throw it back
give it to bartman

:tongue:

mcfish
10-24-2005, 02:54 PM
I would give him back the ball for nothing in return. It means a heck of a lot more to him than it does to me.I still have a ball that my uncle caught for me when I was a kid Carlton Fisk fouled off in a meaningless game against Milwaukee years ago. While I understand that Paulie cares much more for the ball in question than Fisk (who didn't think twice about the ball I have), I would also say that my interest in the ball would go up exponentially as well.

Norberto7
10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
I can understand the backlash if the guy sells the ball, fine. But if he wants to keep it? Absolutely every right to do so. Between catching a hard hit home run ball with your bare hands and fighting off everyone else trying to get their hands on the ball, is it that much of a stretch to say that the guy did just as much, if not more, on that play that Konerko? Isn't that one of the ultimate potential benefits of going to a baseball game? You have just as much of a chance of taking home a piece of history as anyone else sitting out there. What other sport offers that?

I wouldn't begrudge him one bit for keeping that ball.

SSN721
10-24-2005, 03:08 PM
I say take what you can get for the ball. as was stated I dont see why a regular person has to bend over backwards for a millionaire athlete (especially one who will be writing his own ticket to whatever he wants in a few weeks) no matter how much you like him. I love Paulie and I do respect his accomplishment, and yeah, it probably does mean more to him then me. But come on, he still lives in a completely different world then the mass majority of us and I think I would be wanting a little more then a bat and a ball for it. I dont know if I would demand money for it, but I think the Sox can part with a game used jersey or two and some season tix for one of the most important baseballs in the teams history. If that makes me greedy, I guess i am greedy. :cool:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-24-2005, 03:21 PM
I personally would want to keep that ball forever.

That is what I would do. Get an insurance policy and either a very strong safe or keep it in a vault. It is the ultimate souvenir.

I wouldn't sell it - even for $10,000 (I guess I would sell it for some life altering amount like $500,000 but I doubt it would fetch anything close to that).

I would have been pissed White Sox security would be harassing me during the game. I keep score and wouldn't want to miss any of the game so they can bother me with some bat or ball bribe.

These ballplayers make tens of millions of dollars - let the fans keep the ball. If he wanted to give it to him fine that was his decision but he should have been coursed or threatened (we won't certify it, come with us NOW).

Soxzilla
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I still have a ball that my uncle caught for me when I was a kid Carlton Fisk fouled off in a meaningless game against Milwaukee years ago. While I understand that Paulie cares much more for the ball in question than Fisk (who didn't think twice about the ball I have), I would also say that my interest in the ball would go up exponentially as well.

I can understand that. But I've grown out of the phase where material possessions dictate my memories. Just the fact I could say I caught the grand slam ball and gave it back to Konerko would be enough.

wdelaney72
10-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Paulie and other MLB players are unique individuals, who are blessed with certain physical ability that most of us don't have. Yes they have to work hard to develop this ability, but still, much of it is something none of us could ever dream of having. These players are also paid very handsomely for this ability.

Most of us have ZERO chance of ever making a fraction of that kind of money. If a fan catches a ball, it's theirs to keep. Period. It happens all season long. If they choose to make money off of it, more power to them. If it's that important to Paulie, he'll cut him a check for a decent amount of money. Paulie has already earned plenty of it and is in line to make plenty more.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't begrudge this guy for making as much money as he can off the ball.

EDIT: I'm not saying I would sell the ball, I just think whoever does have has every right to do whatever he/she wants to.

Norberto7
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Another point I thought of...if you're subject to physcial harm from these hard objects flying at high speeds, why should anyone be upset if you manage to successfully rein one in and keep it? If you are "supposed" to give it back, isn't that risk without reward?

SluggersAway
10-24-2005, 03:44 PM
The other poll option should be "sell it."

Blob
10-24-2005, 03:48 PM
I'd give the guards my number and tell them that if Paulie wants it back, he needs to give me a call. Sending 2 guards to get the ball back is pretty un-personal.

Yeah Paulie, should not have gone back in the field and went out to the stands to get the ball...:rolleyes:

Chicago
10-24-2005, 03:49 PM
that would fall into the keep it category... cause paulie wouldn't get it... unless your talking about selling it to paulie... and then that is giving it to him... then post your explanation... lol damn it people... the poll has been made... and the votes are building... :D:

Wordwoman
10-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Paulie is really a generous guy when it comes to fans, so they should be able to negotiate something really special.

I say first a replacement ball that Paulie signs that says, "Thanks for the grand slam ball, Chris. World Series Game 2, October 23, 2005, All my best, Paul Konerko." Then a signed jersey and bat. Of course a picture where he personally turns over the ball. Then the White Sox organization tops it off with season tickets for next year.

Just call me the negotiator.

XplodingScorbord
10-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Paulie is really a generous guy when it comes to fans, so they should be able to negotiate something really special.

I say first a replacement ball that Paulie signs that says, "Thanks for the grand slam ball, Chris. World Series Game 2, October 23, 2005, All my best, Paul Konerko." Then a signed jersey and bat. Of course a picture where he personally turns over the ball. Then the White Sox organization tops it off with season tickets for next year.

Just call me the negotiator.

Best I've heard.

Killer-Beees
10-24-2005, 04:05 PM
I throw it back on the field before I get booo'ed. Out wait a minute, wrong park.

I wouldn't throw back a WS homerun ball if your team beat us in game 7 with a grandslam :bandance:

Half Cocked Jack
10-24-2005, 04:06 PM
I'd probably give it back, but that's me. The fact is if you're at a ballgame and you catch a homer, you have every right to it. I wouldnt' criticize someone's decision either way. Konerko is a millionaire who gets to play MLB for a living. I think he'll live if he doesn't get the ball.

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Sounds to me like a lot of people have a very inflated idea of what a HR ball is worth. Season tickets? No way. This isn't a Joe Carter walk-off series ending HR ball. It's just another WS grand slam ball.

Why is everything about money? The guy can do whatever he wants with it, but if I were Pauly and somebody started making demands, I'd tell him what to do with the ball. If it was me I'd give him the ball back for a chance to meet him and gladly accept whatever he wanted to give in return. There are some things you can't put a price tag on.

mcfish
10-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Sounds to me like a lot of people have a very inflated idea of what a HR ball is worth. Season tickets? No way. This isn't a Joe Carter walk-off series ending HR ball. It's just another WS grand slam ball.

Why is everything about money? The guy can do whatever he wants with it, but if I were Pauly and somebody started making demands, I'd tell him what to do with the ball. If it was me I'd give him the ball back for a chance to meet him and gladly accept whatever he wanted to give in return. There are some things you can't put a price tag on.Come on, that was the 18th grand slam in world series history - it's not like it's done every year. Season tickets for 1 year aren't worth that much, especially considering Paulie's upcoming contract. Either way, it wouldn't be about money for me - I would really want to keep the ball. I guess I'd give the Sox my name and number and if Paulie really wanted the ball, someone could contact me the next day, or after the series even, but I wouldn't go for the initial offer of a handshake and a ball and bat.

Harry Chappas
10-24-2005, 04:17 PM
I don't know. I mean, Paul had all night to make an offer to the guy. He didn't do it, but instead had his agents do it, so he loses the "hometown discount." The guy earned it and, hey, the ball is hitting the prime of its career. I think he'll test the market after the season.

BTW - I'm a first time teal-user who also suffers from color blindness to a degree. Apologies in advance if that is really green, however, it said teal.

Wordwoman
10-24-2005, 04:21 PM

Why is everything about money? The guy can do whatever he wants with it, but if I were Pauly and somebody started making demands, I'd tell him what to do with the ball. If it was me I'd give him the ball back for a chance to meet him and gladly accept whatever he wanted to give in return. There are some things you can't put a price tag on.

No way is this about demands at all. It's about this crazy "feel good" atmosphere that this whole season is about.

And I do think that this ball is a HUGE ball. This will be a highlight of Paulie's career--------a memory you can't duplicate. Paulie deserves to have the ball. The fan should be rewarded not because he is making demands but because this is history, we are all sharing it, and you want to make the moment and the gesture of turning the ball back as special as it is. Fifty years from now, THAT home run will still be shown. I'd like to picture that guy's kids and grandkids and Paulie's kids and grandkids each having a special piece of the moment.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-24-2005, 04:33 PM
this is a really controversial issue
on one side, most people think he should give the ball back because he didnt hit it and konerko deserves it
on the other side people think that he should keep it forever becuase he's not obligated
i agree
why should he give it back? especially for a crummy autographed bat and ball. the memories the ball will hold arent even worth that cheapness. I guess he coiuld give it back if he wanted to but i'd definetely keep it.

the gooch
10-24-2005, 04:37 PM
i think free-agent-to-be paulie made a lot more money on that ball than the fan could possibly ask for. (how many postseason rbi is that?)

i dont think its right if paulie signs elsewhere after a sox fan gave him the ball for free. its a landmark in konerko's career AND in whitesox history. paulie is a great guy but i dont want to give the ball to the first baseman of the 2006 yankees/ (other team).

years from now, is pk going to say:
"thats the ball i hit for a grand slam when i was with the white sox in the world series."
or
"thats the ball i hit for a grand slam when we won it all." (for the first time)

to whoever said earlier that paulie cares more about that ball than us fans, do you think he would trade his ALCS MVP trophy for it? he has tons of stuff to remember this postseason. i would have an entire room in my house dedicated to that ball if it were mine. all i have is a piece of paper off a green line car that says "next stop world series. go sox." i wouldnt choose to walk away from this empty-handed, unless i was sure the ball stayed with the team too.

StockdaleForVeep
10-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Give in exchange for season tix

the gooch
10-24-2005, 04:45 PM
give in exchange for podsednik's fiance. (teal or pick, your choice)

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 05:04 PM
No way is this about demands at all. It's about this crazy "feel good" atmosphere that this whole season is about.

And I do think that this ball is a HUGE ball. This will be a highlight of Paulie's career--------a memory you can't duplicate. Paulie deserves to have the ball. The fan should be rewarded not because he is making demands but because this is history, we are all sharing it, and you want to make the moment and the gesture of turning the ball back as special as it is. Fifty years from now, THAT home run will still be shown. I'd like to picture that guy's kids and grandkids and Paulie's kids and grandkids each having a special piece of the moment.Actually, it's just a regular-sized ball.:redneck

They guy can do whatever he wants with it. It was a special moment, to the players and to the fans. Players are generally pretty grateful to fans who return stuff like that, and if the guy wants a memento, I'm sure he'd get something pretty good in return. It just seems unfortunate that the first thing people think of is "What can I get out of it?".

Realist
10-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I'd give the ball to Konerko for a signed bat and ball and tickets to all 3 games in Houston.

chisoxfan64
10-24-2005, 05:18 PM
I`d give it back if they let me pitch game 3.:D:

shes
10-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Ol' No. 2, it's unfortunate, but you can bet your bottom dollar that players, even (gasp!) Sox players, have that attitude as well.

We all know that Konerko's father, as well as his agent, are wondering how many more million they can squeeze out of the Sox or Yankees or whomever after PK's performance this postseason. I don't think it's fair to criticize a fan for having a similar attitude. The ball belongs to him; he can do with it what he pleases. What if he wants to keep it to give to his kid someday? I don't think it's selfish at all. At the same time, if he's holding out for money or season tix, that's ok, too. After all, Paulie has repeatedly said that he wants to come back to Chicago, right? Then he should accept whatever he's offered, correct? We all would sure be grateful. Oh, that's right, that isn't how it works. He's going to get as much as he possibly can, milking his postseason performance for everything it's worth. If someone other than Konerko offers this guy $25,000 or some other ridiculous figure for the ball, you can't blame him for giving it up. I'm sure he'd rather Paulie have it (as Paulie would rather sign w/ the Sox) but sometimes the highest bidder bids so high he has to come out on top. You really can't blame anyone when that happens.

longshot7
10-24-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't know about selling it, but I think I would just keep it. Get Paulie to sign it and put it in a trophy case at home.

CHEESESOXER
10-24-2005, 05:31 PM
I`d give it back if they let me pitch game 3.:D:

For who?

Vernam
10-24-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd give it back for whatever PK or the team deemed a fair gift. I'm sure they'd make it worthwhile, and I wouldn't want to cheapen the occasion by squeezing some concession out of him or the team.

If it were a million-dollar-ball, though, I'd probably whistle a different tune.

Vernam

mcfish
10-24-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't know about selling it, but I think I would just keep it. Get Paulie to sign it and put it in a trophy case at home.I'd keep it too, but now you're just torturing Paulie with it. Why not just put it on a string and pull it back every time Paulie lunges for it? I don't know how willing he would be to sign the ball and give it back.

brewcrew/chisox
10-24-2005, 05:45 PM
What happened to the ball that Pods hit? Talk about a rare ball?!! The guy hits no homeruns during the season, and then hits one to win a world series game. That's the ball that I would want on my mantle.

Frankfan4life
10-24-2005, 06:39 PM
I don't think the ball has any real value to anyone else but Paulie right now. The value of the ball would increase if the Sox win the World Series. However, even then a more valuable trophy might emerge and the Paulie grand slam ball would decrease in value.

I wouldn't care to buy it. I'd much rather Paulie have it. Thus, my vote is to get something valuable for it and give the ball to Paulie.

gaelhound
10-24-2005, 06:41 PM
No it was only the PK World Series grand slam ball, which is the only one is White Sox History.
Give the ball to Konerko for the autographed merchandise but only on the condition that he saves it for his son and when his son passes it goes to the Chicago Historical Society:wink:

downstairs
10-24-2005, 06:42 PM
I don't think the ball has any real value to anyone else but Paulie right now.

Freakin' ticket stubs from the game are going for $100. Heck yeah, the ball has value. Some goof would buy it for $10,000 or a lot more.

I'm just kicking myself for not saving my beer cups and hot dog wrappers to put up on Ebay...

downstairs
10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
What happened to the ball that Pods hit? Talk about a rare ball?!! The guy hits no homeruns during the season, and then hits one to win a world series game. That's the ball that I would want on my mantle.

I am 99% sure it was BS, but some dude in the parking lot was going on about his kid (who was in the car) catching it.

Gavin
10-24-2005, 06:54 PM
It's just another WS grand slam ball.

:tealpolice:

ja1022
10-24-2005, 08:18 PM
To each his own. This season has been such a blast, I don't need to profit from it too. I'm not that big into memorabilia and all that stuff. I'd give him his ball back, get a picture with it, and thank him for the thrill of watching that shot.

Now on the other hand, if I hit that home run, I'd want to keep the ball..... like Paulie.

JBJas42
10-24-2005, 08:38 PM
I am nearly certain I'd happily give it back without any promises on his end. They've given us a great season and I am sure it would mean more to him than it would ever mean to me as a fan (even taking monetary value into account). But if I did give it back and he didn't on his own offer to take me and my family out to dinner or something afterward, I would probably feel a little unappreciated. Wouldn't shatter me or anything though unless I gave it to him and he responded "sucker!" or something. Something tells me that even if the person had just anonymously given this to Paul though he would try to track them down and give them some gear, take them out, or something. He seems like a standup guy.

BeefyD
10-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Most players who want a special ball they hit gives a bat and a jersey. It's just wrong to be asking the player for more. Geez, it's not a #'d ball like McGuire's run or Bond's run for the record.

I could've caught a foul ball last night and I could put it on ebay saying it's the slam ball. Who knows?

The only stipulation, if there is one, for getting a signed bat/ball/jersey/whatever would be for paulie to write something on the piece about catching the ball. Otherwise, that bat will look like the gamer bat I bought and had him sign at SoxFest.

Remember, 20 people could be claiming to have the ball on ebay right now..

Gavin
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Remember, 20 people could be claiming to have the ball on ebay right now..

If only there was some sort of recording instrument we could use to prevent such fraud....

BeefyD
10-24-2005, 09:17 PM
If only there was some sort of recording instrument we could use to prevent such fraud....

I didn't know there were picture of all ebay sellers... Would've made buying scalped tickets a little easier

Greg1983
10-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Didn't have time to read the entire string, so I'm sorry if this is redundant or if I'm missing something, but IMHO, this reminds me of Dusty Baker flipping the ball to that Giants pitcher just an inning or two before the Angels whupped their butts.

To Konerko, the fan, and everyone else, forget the damn ball. We have two more excruciating games left to win.

Let's keep our eyes on the prize here, people.

BeefyD
10-24-2005, 09:36 PM
You're absolutely right. Let's remember the real prize.

Sorry for my earlier rant.

2 down, 2 more to go!

Chicago
10-24-2005, 09:41 PM
You're absolutely right. Let's remember the real prize.

Sorry for my earlier rant.

2 down, 2 more to go!

no no no... We know what our prize is... we could still discuss this...

Damn it... this thread is getting the Tomato Award... :tongue:

Chicago
10-24-2005, 09:42 PM
On Fox news. they just said that the ball is worth atleast $10,000 right now, and If/when we win the WS, it will triple.

they also said that thier poll was...

44% said give the ball to Paulie
56% said no keep the ball

Chips
10-24-2005, 10:27 PM
I say give it to PK. I wouldn't care if I got anything big back, maybe it's just me, but I know I wouldn't sell the ball so it would probably just sit in my living room or something, I would still be able to say I caught it. Give it to PK.

kevin57
10-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I too say, give it to Paulie once he resigns with the Sox :wink:

RichFitztightly
10-24-2005, 10:38 PM
This is an interesting thread. I like reading the different viewpoints and getting a little glimpse into the personality of the posters.

In addition it's interesting how all of a sudden these athletes are attaching a really high value to these milestone balls. Being the amateur psychologist I am, it seems that these players can buy anything they want, but they're finding that it doesn't have the same appeal when they don't have to work for the things they get. However, they have to work to reach some sort of meaningful moment in their life. You can't buy a milestone, so it makes sense that these players want a rareity few people can attain.

I remember reading that Roger Maris gave his record breaking ball back to the guy who caught it with the instructions to, "Sell it. It'll be worth more to you than me." Now, players are disappointed when the fan doesn't give it back. I'm not saying one point of view is better than another, but I find it interesting.

P.S. for the record though, I'd want to hand the ball back to Paulie personally and in exchange get a team autographed ball and a day where I'd stand in the batter's box while the Sox pitchers pitched a simulated game. I always wanted to stand in the box to see exactly what it's like against major league pitchers. Depending on my mood, I'd also ask for a personally autographed ball just from Paulie saying, "Thanks for the Game 2 World Series Grandslam Ball -- Paul Konerko." and a bunch of old/used baseball equipment nobody uses so I could give the little leaguers I coach some stuff to play with.

kevingrt
10-24-2005, 11:23 PM
I say give it to PK. I wouldn't care if I got anything big back, maybe it's just me, but I know I wouldn't sell the ball so it would probably just sit in my living room or something, I would still be able to say I caught it. Give it to PK.

It means much more to PK then me so I'd give it back to him. I wouldn't expect anything in return, but I wouldn't be surprised if I got something in return. I mean you have your ticket and program from the World Series for keepsake. If you really want to remember keeping the ball get a pic with you giving the ball to PK or something. There is a memory. But PK deserves the ball so I guess give it to him.

But as many posters have said, if you want to keep the ball then keep it. It is your freedom, but PK deserves it.

milrtyme28
10-24-2005, 11:44 PM
I would ask to meet him and see if he'd trade the bat for the ball. :smile:

podsednikchick
10-24-2005, 11:45 PM

According to Scott Reifert's Blog (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/), "Pods got his ball back from a group of four guys who exchanged the ball for three autographed baseballs and a signed bat."

And if I had caught PK's GS ball: meet the team, team signed bat and 2006 Scout Seat Season Tickets. :smile:

whitesoxwilkes
10-25-2005, 08:19 AM

I think asking for season tickets or something like that is just a little bit excessive.

If it were me, I'd ask for a bat and a signed ball and the chance to shake Paul's hand and tell him "thanks for hitting it."

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 08:31 AM
I'd probably be like that one couple who caught Mark McGwire's 66th home run. All the lady asked for was a hug. Simple request.

I'd just want an autographed Polaroid of me handing the ball over to him. Maybe two autographed baseballs for my kids. The ball would mean more to him than me. I'd probably just lose it or store it in the closet.

steff
10-25-2005, 12:05 PM
I think asking for season tickets or something like that is just a little bit excessive.

If it were me, I'd ask for a bat and a signed ball and the chance to shake Paul's hand and tell him "thanks for hitting it."

Exactly my thoughts..

I would have been downstairs before security even got to me giving the ball back.

Hondo
10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
I would have asked for some swag (sweater, hat, bat) and the chance to give Paulie the ball in person, like Wilkes said and get my picture taken with him.

I mean if you really love this team and are going through what we're going through right now, is money what crosses your mind.

And to be quite honest, if I caught that ball I don't think I'd have my wits about me to ask for anything. I'd probably just give it up.

Garland_IS_God
10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
They offered him an autographed ball and bat at the game - guess it wasn't enough.

Yeah but how much money did he have to pay for the seats to the game. At least try and squeeze season tickets for next year out of the deal.

Bucky F. Dent
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry, but if I caught that ball, it's mine!

I've been waiting for this for 38 years. We've been waiting for this since 1917!

Sorry, Paulie. That ball is mine!

I won't sell it on e-bay, but I won't give it back either.

Paulwny
10-25-2005, 01:13 PM
I have no idea how much Konerko values the ball, but the grand slam had to have increased the $$$ of future contract offers.

ChicagoHoosier
10-25-2005, 01:17 PM
I didn't read every post, but I think a picture with me giving Paulie the ball, plus a bat, jersey, and him signing the picture or something along those lines would be enough. That's IF Paulie wanted it, of course. I'd still have the story to tell, but feel Paulie would deserve to keep it much more than I had I caught it.

Layla
10-25-2005, 02:07 PM
I've read every reply on this thread and want to add my .02:

I can certainly understand how in the uproar of the moment, and security guards rushing to you, you would be a bit freaked out and want to think about it.

However, could I possibly put a dollar amount on how much the White Sox has meant to me over the years? How much it means to me for them to go this far this year? Just like Mastercard: priceless.

The ball would mean so much more to Paulie than me. He hit it. It was his accomplishment - not mine. It's his memory - I just happened to be part of an incredible moment in time.

I would ask for a team autographed ball (surprised no one mentioned that) and a jersey.

Chicago
10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
I mentioned that... (i'm pretty sure i did)

i would have wanted team autographed balls from both teams of the 20 05 WS
and a few more things... that is, if i was able to part with it.

PennStater98r
10-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I've read every reply on this thread and want to add my .02:

I can certainly understand how in the uproar of the moment, and security guards rushing to you, you would be a bit freaked out and want to think about it.

However, could I possibly put a dollar amount on how much the White Sox has meant to me over the years? How much it means to me for them to go this far this year? Just like Mastercard: priceless.

The ball would mean so much more to Paulie than me. He hit it. It was his accomplishment - not mine. It's his memory - I just happened to be part of an incredible moment in time.

I would ask for a team autographed ball (surprised no one mentioned that) and a jersey.

I'm pretty sure the autographed ball and jersey was mentioned.

Besides that, I'm not so sure that it would mean more to Paulie. I mean, we can't measure how much something means to one person vs. another. We can say that the ball carries more significance to Paul in the same way an award given to me at work for doing my job would carry more significance to me.

But does it really mean more. I'll tell you - short of the birth of my child and my wedding day - I can not think of many moments - if any - that would be larger than catching a slam hit in the World Series to give the Sox the lead.

Yes. Paul hit the ball. Thanks Paul! However, the ball means more in the history of the White Sox than it does the course of Paul's career. If I were to decide to donate it to Cooperstown to go with 2005 White Sox things or if I were to donate it to the White Sox Hall of Fame, who's to say those are any less noble choices than giving it to Paul? By the same accord, if I were to keep it and give it to my son who could give it to his son (or daughter) who could give it to his son (or daughter) and so on and so forth, who's to question on whether I did the right thing?

Finally, in our era of inflation, what if the guy who caught it really needs the money? If I were providing a few months or a year of ease on myself because I work three jobs and sixty hours a week, heck yeah - everything has a price. There's no difference in asking for a hand shake from Paul than asking for an autographed jersey than for dollars. Either way, you expect something for the ball. The asking price is just different for all of us.

Gavin
10-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the autographed ball and jersey was mentioned.

Besides that, I'm not so sure that it would mean more to Paulie. I mean, we can't measure how much something means to one person vs. another. We can say that the ball carries more significance to Paul in the same way an award given to me at work for doing my job would carry more significance to me.

But does it really mean more. I'll tell you - short of the birth of my child and my wedding day - I can not think of many moments - if any - that would be larger than catching a slam hit in the World Series to give the Sox the lead.

Yes. Paul hit the ball. Thanks Paul! However, the ball means more in the history of the White Sox than it does the course of Paul's career. If I were to decide to donate it to Cooperstown to go with 2005 White Sox things or if I were to donate it to the White Sox Hall of Fame, who's to say those are any less noble choices than giving it to Paul? By the same accord, if I were to keep it and give it to my son who could give it to his son (or daughter) who could give it to his son (or daughter) and so on and so forth, who's to question on whether I did the right thing?

Finally, in our era of inflation, what if the guy who caught it really needs the money? If I were providing a few months or a year of ease on myself because I work three jobs and sixty hours a week, heck yeah - everything has a price. There's no difference in asking for a hand shake from Paul than asking for an autographed jersey than for dollars. Either way, you expect something for the ball. The asking price is just different for all of us.

Well said, I agree with everything in this post.

TaylorStSox
10-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I'd cut the ball in half. :redneck

mweflen
10-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Keep the ball, sell it to the highest bidder, pay off student loans. Whatever. It's the fan's ball. He owns it. It says so on the back of every ticket and they announce it before every game.

PK makes $8mil this year, and likely $12mil next year. If Paulie wants it so badly (which there is no indication of), he can certainly pony up $25k at auction.

PennStater98r
10-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Keep the ball, sell it to the highest bidder, pay off student loans. Whatever. It's the fan's ball. He owns it. It says so on the back of every ticket and they announce it before every game.

PK makes $8mil this year, and likely $12mil next year. If Paulie wants it so badly (which there is no indication of), he can certainly pony up $25k at auction.

You can put it on the board... Yes!

chidonez
10-25-2005, 05:30 PM
The point was already made, but this game should be about the fans. Let the fan keep it. We're not getting multi-million dollar contracts in the off-season.

The Critic
10-25-2005, 05:35 PM
I would give it back to Paul and gladly take anything he offered. It's his home run, it's his accomplishment, it's his memory. All it is to me is a souvenir, and I'm sure I'd get more than that in trade, judging on what the guy got from Scott for his HR ball.

If it was some jerk like Barry Bonds, I'd sell it for anything I could get. But PK seems to be a good guy, so I'd do what's right for him.

maurice
10-25-2005, 05:51 PM
There is absolutely no way that I would "give" him the ball with no strings attached, but I wouldn't sell it on ebay either. I'd negotiate a deal or keep it. Season tix or tix to the WS games in Houston doesn't strike me as an unreasonable request. IMHO, the question is not "how much is it worth on ebay," but rather "how much is it worth to Konerko?" Season tix cost a lot of money to one of us, but it's a mere pittance to a guy who made $8.75 mil. this year alone and will be asking for $13+ mil. for each of the next 5 years.

doctorlecter
10-25-2005, 06:08 PM
That part wasn't reported in the story, so I'd say that's hearsay, at least for now. If that's true that he was offered that and turned it down, he's a fool. Its not like it was Bonds' homerun record ball or something.

You're right. This ball was hit without the use of performance-enhancing drugs. I'm with everybody that is saying not to give it back to Paulie until he signs a contract extension. If it were me, I'd be really P.O.'d if I gave a priceless piece of history back to the Red Sox's new starting first baseman...