PDA

View Full Version : Open the dome

Chicken Dinner
10-24-2005, 12:29 PM
According to White Sox officials, commissioner Bud Selig has assured them he will order the Astros to keep the dome open at Minute Maid Park if there is no rain. As the Cardinals and Braves will attest, the hometown crowd din in Minute Maid when the dome is closed is a significant advantage for the Astros, who kept it closed throughout the NLDS and NLCS despite perfect weather outside. This season the Astros were 15-11 at home with the dome open and 36-17 with it closed.
-- New York Daily News

Killer-Beees
10-24-2005, 12:33 PM
According to White Sox officials, commissioner Bud Selig has assured them he will order the Astros to keep the dome open at Minute Maid Park if there is no rain. As the Cardinals and Braves will attest, the hometown crowd din in Minute Maid when the dome is closed is a significant advantage for the Astros, who kept it closed throughout the NLDS and NLCS despite perfect weather outside. This season the Astros were 15-11 at home with the dome open and 36-17 with it closed.
-- New York Daily News

Just for the record, it was 90 degrees in Houston during the NLCS & even a little warmer for the NLDS :angry: . I work blocks from the park and can attest to that. It gets even hotter inside the park as you probably already know.

I for one am glad that it will be open for the WS, as the weather if very nice here right now. Sunshine with lows in the upper 40's at night. :cool:

mike squires
10-24-2005, 12:34 PM
You would think this would be up to the Astros. That's why they call it home field advantage. IF they MAKE them open it, I think it's crap. They should be able to do what they want.

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Open or closed, it doesn't matter to me and I don't think it'll matter to our guys either.

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Open or closed, it doesn't matter to me and I don't think it'll matter to our guys either.Amen. After the guys park a few balls in the Crawford boxes it will sound like a library.

Killer-Beees
10-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Open or closed, it doesn't matter to me and I don't think it'll matter to our guys either.

From what our players have been saying, they are looking forward to the roof (not dome) being opened. Not many playing days when it is comfortable enough to open it up.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-24-2005, 12:38 PM
The Sox played in the rain in Anaheim and last night. Leave it open.

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 12:39 PM
You would think this would be up to the Astros. That's why they call it home field advantage. IF they MAKE them open it, I think it's crap. They should be able to do what they want.

I agree. Let them do what they want. I have been reading the astros.com board and I don't want to give them anything else to complain about.

Killer Bee's...is there a different astro board that may be able to give us another perspective? I sure as heck wouldn't want many of the yahoos at whitesox.com message boards being the only ones represnting us.

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 12:41 PM
From what our players have been saying, they are looking forward to the roof (not dome) being opened. Not many playing days when it is comfortable enough to open it up.

I can understand that. Living in Milwaukee, I am familiar with the open/closed roof concept and it is a much more enjoyable experience at the ballpark when the roof is open.

MarySwiss
10-24-2005, 12:42 PM

In 2001, IIRC, Curt Schilling wanted the roof closed at BOB but was overruled, so this doesn't surprise me.

Killer-Beees
10-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I agree. Let them do what they want. I have been reading the astros.com board and I don't want to give them anything else to complain about.

Killer Bee's...is there a different astro board that may be able to give us another perspective? I sure as heck wouldn't want many of the yahoos at whitesox.com message boards being the only ones represnting us.

Which one are you looking at, the MLB Astros Fan Zone? If so, then here is one other one that I have been in: http://p078.ezboard.com/fevilwontwinfrm3

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Which one are you looking at, the MLB Astros Fan Zone? If so, then here is one other one that I have been in: http://p078.ezboard.com/fevilwontwinfrm3

Thanks. Those fans seem much more reasonable. I had to "apply" in order to reply. We'll see if they'll let me in...

faneidde
10-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Can't believe no one has done this yet...
:tealtutor:

jdm2662
10-24-2005, 02:55 PM
I hate domes as much as the next guy, but I agree. It's their stadium. They should decide what they want to do. It shouldn't matter to the Sox anyway. Good teams adjust to whatever surroundings they are in.

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Yeah, most definitely. The Sox are used to playing the Twins all the time at the Metrodome and in didn't pose any problems this year. I say it doesn't matter.

Argalarga
10-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Playoff baseball belongs in the elements.

SoxSpeed22
10-24-2005, 05:16 PM
You figure that they would try to maximize their home-field advantage by closing the roof, you know, being down 2-0 and all. I'm not one to complain, they can do as they like.

AZChiSoxFan
10-24-2005, 05:30 PM
In 2001, IIRC, Curt Schilling wanted the roof closed at BOB but was overruled, so this doesn't surprise me.

In that case, Schilling was overruled by the D-Backs front office, not by MLB.

I may be wrong on this, but I do seem to remember MLB telling the Blue Jays what to do with their roof in the postseason in the late 80's or early 90's. Perhaps BabyFisk remembers the details on this.

MarySwiss
10-24-2005, 05:37 PM
In that case, Schilling was overruled by the D-Backs front office, not by MLB.
I may be wrong on this, but I do seem to remember MLB telling the Blue Jays what to do with their roof in the postseason in the late 80's or early 90's. Perhaps BabyFisk remembers the details on this.

Much as I hate to contradict a fellow Arizonan:

"We thought it was our call but they said it was theirs," Diamondbacks president Rich Dozer said Sunday about whether to open the roof for games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/2001/worldseries/news/2001/10/28/notebook_ap/

Meanwhile AZChiSoxFan, if you're in town, it'd be great to see you at Skip and Jan's in Tempe for tomorrow night's game. :smile:

mcfish
10-24-2005, 05:43 PM
I can understand that. Living in Milwaukee, I am familiar with the open/closed roof concept and it is a much more enjoyable experience at the ballpark when the roof is open.Not on opening day it's not! It gets cold in Milwaukee!

LongLiveFisk
10-24-2005, 06:25 PM
I heard Steve Stone today on the Score (I listen occasionally) and he said the ball has a tendency to carry further with the dome open. It should be interesting.

Kevin
10-24-2005, 06:40 PM
http://i28-0.facebook.com/pics/5/3/n48603507_7126.jpg
"What homefield advantage?"

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Not on opening day it's not! It gets cold in Milwaukee!

I was writing under the assumption that the weather would be nice.

soxjim
10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Keep it open and play ball. I for one dislike domes. Baseball is meant to be played outside on grass.

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Playoff baseball belongs in the elements.

Heck, ALL sports (with a few notable exceptions) belong outside.

seanpmurphy
10-24-2005, 09:00 PM
http://i28-0.facebook.com/pics/5/3/n48603507_7126.jpg
"What homefield advantage?"

Pujols to Lidge: "Can I get some spaghetti with that meatball?"

Podsednik: "And some wine"

HotelWhiteSox
10-24-2005, 10:00 PM
I agree that it's unfair for MLB to intervene and be the determining factor on whether the roof should be open or closed.

I don't, however, agree with Oswalt's comments regarding this, which were dumb. He said:

``I don't think they should step in and tell us what to do in our field, because it's our home-field advantage now,'' Oswalt said. ``I think Chicago had their advantage there -- cold, windy. They've been playing in it all year; we haven't. So let's bring it back home and give the advantage to us now.''

- Ummm, we haven't played in that weather since April or May, we don't play in Canada or Alaska. The weather was an issue to both teams. The Sox having an advantage to this is the same stupid misconception of "Bear weather" in football, except Oswalt's claim is dumber. (Plus, he sounds like a pansy, the players had coffee, any number of layer of clothing wanted, and they have warmers and the option to chill in the clubhouse)
- We had no control over the weather, so it wasn't our home field advantage. Yes, I'm sure Uncle Jerry contacted Tom Skilling and asked him to do the usual "Chicago" weather dance.
- Our advantage was the crowd. Several different broadcast teams said it was the loudest park they've heard in years. The reason they want the roof closed is for the noise, so he's implying his fans can't make as much noise as Sox fans do in open air.

His comment just irked me, as if it is the fault of the Sox if the roof is open and that they were the reason of the weather of Game 1 and 2, something we need an over/under for until Fox and the rest of the media uses that as another way to try and taint or paint controversy on the Sox wins (note: every single aspect of the playoffs that FOX is claiming controversey on had nothing to do with the Sox (the umpires make the calls, you expect the Sox to say, nahh, I'm not going to take the base?) and had no direct effect on wins or losses for either side, a hell of a lot still had to be done by both teams after these supposed "contreverseys" to win or lose the games, I hate the media.

OEO Magglio
10-24-2005, 10:22 PM
I think Bud needs to go away on this issue. Let the Astros do whatever the hell they want with their park but that's jmo.

MRKARNO
10-24-2005, 10:27 PM
The precedent of the 2001 World Series stands. The roof must be opened or closed as per the elements according to the MLB and not the desires of the home team. If the Astros are really going to let this get to them, then they are just making excuses for themselves already as to why they couldn't beat the White Sox.

iamkoza
10-24-2005, 10:32 PM
should keep the dome open so no fly balls hit the rafters. I could care less about the fan noise. But adding a raquetball element to baseball is just wrong

Hitmen77
10-24-2005, 10:51 PM
I don't, however, agree with Oswalt's comments regarding this, which were dumb. He said:

``I don't think they should step in and tell us what to do in our field, because it's our home-field advantage now,'' Oswalt said. ``I think Chicago had their advantage there -- cold, windy. They've been playing in it all year; we haven't. So let's bring it back home and give the advantage to us now.''

- Ummm, we haven't played in that weather since April or May, we don't play in Canada or Alaska. ....

It's especially stupid considering that the Astros come to Chicago 3 times a year to play the Cubs. Uh, didn't he notice that it was in the 90s when he played here this summer. I don't believe the Sox had a weather advantage. The weather in Chicago has been in the 70s (cooler in the evenings lately of course) until the World Series. Our guys haven't faced cold conditions like yesterday in 6 months.

I for one liked seeing a bunch of the Astros complain about this on TV today. That indicates to me that it's becoming a distraction to them. If the situation was reversed, I just imagine the Sox players just shrugging it off and saying they just care about playing the game.

Frankfan4life
10-24-2005, 11:20 PM
I believe the only reason the Astros want the roof closed is to bottle up the noise. Now that the roof is going to be open, I've found the perfect giveaway:

http://bigstone.en.ec21.com/company/b/bigstone/upimg/sjm-30.gif

One of these to the first 10,000 fans.

flo-B-flo
10-24-2005, 11:51 PM
It was 40 and raining at Sox park. There is no roof. It will be - what? 80 in Houston? And they want the dome? What bull****.

TheOldRoman
10-25-2005, 12:01 AM
I heard Steve Stone today on the Score (I listen occasionally) and he said the ball has a tendency to carry further with the dome open. It should be interesting.
He is wrong. The ball carries considerably further with the roof closed.

irish rover
10-25-2005, 12:22 AM
in regards to a**walts comments

the sox never played in weather like that in chicago all year. April the coldest games were in the 50's no rain, May had a couple games in the 40's but no rain

*mod edit: congrats, that's a week for language filter violation.

Fuller_Schettman
10-25-2005, 01:42 AM

That makes much more sense, particularly in light of the rocket that Poo Holes hit with the roof closed.

milrtyme28
10-25-2005, 02:15 AM
umm, roof open please. this is baseball. it is not an indoor or winter sport. 40 degree temps and rain werent an advantage to either team really. the sox dont EVER play in october. it not like they are the Bears. Jeebus.

i think this shouldnt even be a controversy - MLB should have rules regarding retractable roof stadiums even during the regular season. if its under 40, over 95, raining, etc. set rules and guidelines.

That eliminates the controversy.

Coolpapa
10-25-2005, 02:42 AM
Let's just call it "Topless"

Killer-Beees
10-25-2005, 06:28 AM
It was 40 and raining at Sox park. There is no roof. It will be - what? 80 in Houston? And they want the dome? What bull****.

80??? No, more like Hi 73 Lo 42 today and sunshine. :cool:

And it's not a dome, it's a retractable roof stadium. The Dome (Astrodome) is about 12 miles away from MM. Dome meaning, fixed roof and not retractable.

And as I stated yesterday, the Stros players (in general) are looking forward to the roof being open for the home games.

ATXBMX
10-25-2005, 06:51 AM
Who cares?

I remember hearing how difficult it would be to beat the Red Sox in Fenway, then how difficult it would be to beat the Angels in Anaheim. Now, all I hear is how difficult it will be to beat the Astros in Houston. GMAB.

We're 4-0 away from home! We have the best road record of any team in baseball. No one should be whining about this.

We swept the Cleveland Indians on the road, twice. We took two of three from the Yankees in NYC. Last I checked, those teams had more wins than the Astros, who never even had a chance to win their own division.

If they don't think they can win without a roof, then they shouldn't have made it retractable.

asindc
10-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Count me among those who think the Astros should be able to do what they want with their ballpark. As if our team cares.:rolleyes:

wdelaney72
10-25-2005, 10:43 AM
I for one liked seeing a bunch of the Astros complain about this on TV today. That indicates to me that it's becoming a distraction to them. If the situation was reversed, I just imagine the Sox players just shrugging it off and saying they just care about playing the game.

How much of this is the media blowing it out of proportion. While I agree that the weather should only dictate the opening and closing of the roof, I don't believe it's specifically spelled out in any rulebook. That being the case, the Astros should be able to make this call. I have to think the Astros players are professionals and don't care about this as much as the media does.

If Bud wants the roof open in all games where weather permits, he needs to spell it out and make it consistent throughout the season.

Chicken Dinner
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
If Bud wants the roof open in all games where weather permits, he needs to spell it out and make it consistent throughout the season.

Agreed.....the last thing I want is for anyone to say we got another break. With all of the retractable roof stadiums out there now, if MLB wants to step in, they need to come up with a rule that covers this situation......until then, it's the local team that should decide.

winitall
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Poetic justice would be Bud forcing the Astros to leave the roof open, only to get dumped on by a bird flying in through the open roof. I'm a firm believer that baseball should be played outside, on grass, but if the Astros want to host the Sox inside, let 'em.

AZChiSoxFan
10-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Much as I hate to contradict a fellow Arizonan:

"We thought it was our call but they said it was theirs," Diamondbacks president Rich Dozer said Sunday about whether to open the roof for games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/2001/worldseries/news/2001/10/28/notebook_ap/

Meanwhile AZChiSoxFan, if you're in town, it'd be great to see you at Skip and Jan's in Tempe for tomorrow night's game. :smile:

My bad. I didn't realize you were referring to the 2001 WS (I know, dumb on my part). I was thinking about a time during the regular season (either 2002 or 2003) when Schilling was whining about the fact that he wanted the roof to always be closed during his starts. That's when Rich Dozier/Joe Garagiola Jr. stated that during April and May when the weather is nice, the roof will be open.

AZChiSoxFan
10-25-2005, 12:54 PM

What's your reason for stating this? Did you see some numbers that back up your claim? I'm not being argumentative, just asking. The reason I ask is that here in Arizona, at the ballpark formerly known as BOB, the belief has always been that the ball carries much better with the roof open.

Paulwny
10-25-2005, 12:58 PM
In one of the other threads it was mentioned that mlb rents the stadium from the owners for the play-offs and ws. If this is correct then mlb has every right to make the decision.

WSoxFanForever
10-25-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm so tired of the whining about the roof that I'd like it closed. Either way, we can win. A D-Backs fan on MLB.com claimed that it is actually a television decision (Fox) and that they don't like the noise level to interfer with their broadcasting so they want the roof open. Thought that was interesting; don't know if it's true.

Oswalt is quite the whiner if he actually made that quote. I'd be embarassed if one of our Sox whined that way. I hope we make him cry tonight.

GOOOOOOOOOOO SOXXXXXXXXXXX!

itsnotrequired
10-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Open the roof, close the roof, whatever. Who cares? Any team that uses the roof as an excuse to a shoddy performance is full of beans. That goes for the Sox as well. But you don't hear them whining about the roof, do you? Only goofballs on the mlb.com boards and overated radio shows care about this.

"Sox cheat way to World Series victory with open roof!":rolleyes:

MarySwiss
10-25-2005, 01:24 PM
I believe that since it was open for the Series games at BOB in 2001, then it should in all fairness be open for these Series games.

That said, I personally would rather not have to listen to all the garbage we will hear about how the Sox had an "unfair advantage" after we beat these guys, based solely on the roof being open and without regard to the fact that they still are playing in their home park.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

mcfish
10-25-2005, 02:11 PM
I was writing under the assumption that the weather would be nice.I knew what you meant, I was just pointing out that the roof is not all bad, especially in Milwaukee on a cold April evening.