PDA

View Full Version : Bad Bobby's Velocity?

hawkjt
10-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Hey, I love the kid but just curious about the drop in velocity last nite. He went from 99-100 on Sat to 95-97 on Sunday. I guess he is still not at a stage where he can bring the high heat in back to back games. He is still nasty at 95 but not if he is down in the strike zone.

Glad we have the day for him to rest and be ready to go on Tues and Thurs. Maybe time to dust off Dusty on Wed.

Cliff had more pop on his fastball last nite as I expected with the rest. Still not up to the 95 he was hitting in the first half. But he was sharp. I love the rested staff we are running out there now.

I have a feeling Jonny G will match Oswald pretty well and we can win late on Tues if we just hang in.

Freddy in clinchers?- priceless.

wdelaney72
10-24-2005, 12:37 PM
The weather hurt most of the pitchers last night. We'll see how things go in Houston.

Domeshot17
10-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I also noticed the Gun on the top of the Fox Screen, and then the Gun on the on never correct pitch break down never matched up. One would said 95 the other 97, one would say 93 the other 96, against 96 the other had 98, and the location of the ball was NEVER right. I am assuming The weather just wasnt letting him pop it as usual

samram
10-24-2005, 12:45 PM
The weather hurt most of the pitchers last night. We'll see how things go in Houston.

Yeah, I think sitting in the bullpen for two and a half hours didn't help anyone's velocity. Plus, Bobby's location was a little off. A day of rest will be good for him and he should be fine if needed tomorrow night.

Flight #24
10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
IMO he was toning it down to try and maintain better control. You could see him talking to himself, and to me it seemed like he was sayng something like "stay calm". But I'm not a lipreader.

slavko
10-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey, I love the kid but just curious about the drop in velocity last nite. He went from 99-100 on Sat to 95-97 on Sunday. I guess he is still not at a stage where he can bring the high heat in back to back games. He is still nasty at 95 but not if he is down in the strike zone.

You see what I see. He is hard to hit (fastball) when he is high in or out of the zone. Yet, in his post game 1 interview, he said Ozzie and Coop want him to keep it down in the zone. They are wrong. His fastball has very little movement and is easier to hit when it is down.

Hagan
10-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Bobby had thsi problem during the year when he was used to much and on back to back days. he is still very effective but not as effective as when he is rested. I also found a nice article about bobbys high school days http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002553059_ston11.html

veeter
10-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Good observation on the loss of velocity. When he struck out Bagwell in game 1, it was on what looked to be a cutter. I wish he'd cut the ball more. These hitters can hit anything if it's straight. If and when he learns to throw the cutter more, he'll be extra tough.

BeviBall!
10-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Weather affected Lidge as well. Very hard to get loose in that weather... almost impossible.

Tragg
10-24-2005, 01:14 PM
This is the world's series and we're playing a damn good team - top competition; a team which is similar to ours that they don't quit until the final out and they have a lot of hitters who can get the ball in play.

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 01:54 PM
This could also be due to getting sqeezed. He wasn't getting the high strike and may have been taking a little off to try to get it down.

FWIW, I think it was a tactical error to throw Viscaino nothing but fastballs. He has a quick bat and was obviously brought in because he's one of the few guys that can catch up to the heat. They needed to slow his bat down with a curveball or two.

Unregistered
10-24-2005, 02:14 PM
FWIW, I think it was a tactical error to throw Viscaino nothing but fastballs. They needed to slow his bat down with a curveball or two.He only threw Viscaino one pitch and he shot it into left. Regardless, it's likely Jenks wouldn't have thrown a curve with runners on second and third, for fear of it getting past AJ and scoring a runner.

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 02:30 PM
He only threw Viscaino one pitch and he shot it into left. Regardless, it's likely Jenks wouldn't have thrown a curve with runners on second and third, for fear of it getting past AJ and scoring a runner.Viscaino went up looking for the fastball, got it and put the bat on it. I realize he hit the first pitch but I would not have thrown him a fastball in the zone until I'd shown him at least one off-speed pitch. His breaking balls are not that hard to block since they break straight down. It's not like a slider or forkball. It just wasn't a favorable matchup and you need to do something to slow his bat down and even the odds a bit.

Paulwny
10-24-2005, 02:31 PM
He definately needs to develop, in the spring, a decent curve that he can throw for a strike >50% of the time, he'd become unhittable.

Banix12
10-24-2005, 02:34 PM
As much as I hate giving him credit, Jeff Brantley actually correctly predicted that his velocity was going drop tonight. His reason was that after sitting on the pine for so long he was going to be sore the next day after throwing. Not sure if it was that or if it was the weather or a combo of both, but rats, that guy actually was right for once and it kills me.

peeonwrigley
10-24-2005, 02:42 PM
As much as I hate giving him credit, Jeff Brantley actually correctly predicted that his velocity was going drop tonight. His reason was that after sitting on the pine for so long he was going to be sore the next day after throwing. Not sure if it was that or if it was the weather or a combo of both, but rats, that guy actually was right for once and it kills me.

There was lots of factors, mainly fatigue and weather, in why Jenks didn't have it last night.

Even though he gave up the runs - the Stros only had an end of the bat bloop single, a tough walk (squeeze city), a check swinging bunt, and then Vizciano flipped one to the opposite field on the most hittable ball Jenks threw all inning. Its the Series and you've got to get runs and fight anyway you can. The Astros did that and scratched two across against a damn good pitcher.

Banix12
10-24-2005, 02:59 PM
There was lots of factors, mainly fatigue and weather, in why Jenks didn't have it last night.

Even though he gave up the runs - the Stros only had an end of the bat bloop single, a tough walk (squeeze city), a check swinging bunt, and then Vizciano flipped one to the opposite field on the most hittable ball Jenks threw all inning. Its the Series and you've got to get runs and fight anyway you can. The Astros did that and scratched two across against a damn good pitcher.

Actually, I've noticed in Bobby that on nights he doesn't have it, that will be the way he usually gives up the runs. Just a lot of little hits in a row and walks. Sometimes on those nights he still pulls out the save, like on the division clinching game in Detroit where Paulie caught that liner. But that is usually the sign of trouble.

I still have confidence in the guy though.

Disantinon
10-24-2005, 04:57 PM
The way I see Bobby, you can get one of four versions of him on any given day:

#1: 100mph and getting the curve over: Sox fans fall off the couch laughing at the sheer greatness of it.

#2: 100mph and no curve: a top level closer.

#3: 95 mph and getting the curve over: I don't think this one has ever occurred, but would be a very good closer.

#4: 95 mph and no curve: Kochesque.

I agree with the previous poster that mentioned that he seems to lose a lot when he pitches two days in a row, something to watch out for next season.

PatK
10-24-2005, 05:01 PM
.......and the location of the ball was NEVER right.

One thing you have to realize is that the camera view, since it is not directly in line with the pitcher and catcher, is off center a little. So the strikes on ther "strike zone" thing don't appear to be where they are when you see them on tv.

tifosiv122
10-24-2005, 05:05 PM
It was key not to lose last night, his confidence would have been shot.
I am actually sort of glad they tied it up in the 9th...it made for an amazing Pods hit that would never had otherwise happened.

Erik

wassagstdu
10-24-2005, 05:05 PM
The way I see Bobby, you can get one of four versions of him on any given day:

#1: 100mph and getting the curve over: Sox fans fall off the couch laughing at the sheer greatness of it.

#2: 100mph and no curve: a top level closer.

#3: 95 mph and getting the curve over: I don't think this one has ever occurred, but would be a very good closer.

#4: 95 mph and no curve: Kochesque.

I agree with the previous poster that mentioned that he seems to lose a lot when he pitches two days in a row, something to watch out for next season.

He threw the curve once earlier and it wasn't there. If it had been he would/should have started Vizcaino out with it and that would have been that.

NardiWasHere
10-24-2005, 05:06 PM
He definately needs to develop, in the spring, a decent curve that he can throw for a strike >50% of the time, he'd become unhittable.

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but his curveball is his second best pitch... do you mean work on location?

Paulwny
10-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Maybe I'm misreading your post, but his curveball is his second best pitch... do you mean work on location?

Yea, location is probably a better word. He needs to work on this pitch.

slobes
10-24-2005, 07:59 PM
His outing the night before wasn't exactly short either. I'm not sure how many pitches he threw, but it was more than an inning.

elrod
10-24-2005, 08:02 PM
The problem was that he threw a curve on Bagwell into the dirt and never threw it again. This happened in the Aaron Boone Cleveland game, when he bounced a curve ball in and then threw a bunch of fastballs that were hittable. Bobby needs to stick with the curve ball, even when he throws one in the dirt. Otherwise he is very predictable.

Jerome
10-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Don't worry, even if Bad Bobby messes up, we've got Nice Neal to come in and save the day.

RibbieRubarb
10-24-2005, 08:26 PM
You see what I see. He is hard to hit (fastball) when he is high in or out of the zone. Yet, in his post game 1 interview, he said Ozzie and Coop want him to keep it down in the zone. They are wrong. His fastball has very little movement and is easier to hit when it is down.

:kukoo: