PDA

View Full Version : KW not giving up

RedPinStripes
12-13-2001, 07:52 AM
I give him credit. I didn't think he was determined to do anything big this winter.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox13.html

Tragg
12-13-2001, 08:23 AM
"We are a team with limited resources. We have to think outside the box."

Trouble is that that trade wasn't outside the box. It was Ditkaesque in its lack of subtelty.

"We want Ricky Williams. I'd trade my entire draft for Ricky Williams" And that's what he did.

And in this case, Kenny Williams just lopped on player after player to get Erstad.

I tell you what would have been outside the box. Taking a chance on the Carl Everett giveaway. Because the BoSox asked for a player of the caliber of, say, Clayton, it was a no risk move. And if Everett acted like an a$$hole in preseason and couldn't get along, dump him - no loss.

As for limited resources, that's self-defined. What happened to all of that money made on the Bulls helping the baseball team?

Kilroy
12-13-2001, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
I tell you what would have been outside the box. Taking a chance on the Carl Everett giveaway.

Yeah, that's exactly what the Sox needed. Another player who could piss on the Sox already tarnished image in this town. For another team, that's probably a great idea. For the Sox it would have been terrible. Imagine the media treatment the Sox would get if Everett came to the south side and showed his ass like he did in Bean-Town. You can't have forgotten how it was when Belle was here, and Everett is 10 times the a$$hole Belle ever was.

Bad idea. Very bad.

KW is lucky this time. Not being able to trade Garland is gonna turn out to be one of the best things that has happened to this guy since he became GM. Mark it down.

Tragg
12-13-2001, 08:46 AM
Maybe a little bad ass image is what we need. We aren't going to compete with the cubs on the friendly side, with the media drooling on and on about "that wonderful sportsman" sammy sosa.

I probably don't have the full picture of what everett did. However, Boston is one screwed up organization - I do know that.

As for Belle, I don't live in Chicago so I don't know what it was like. But he did carry this team to second half resurgences; and it was a limited team that he carried.

Back to Everett, like I said, as the price was so cheap, you could always dump him (i guess salary considerations).

Kilroy
12-13-2001, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
I probably don't have the full picture of what everett did. However, Boston is one screwed up organization - I do know that.

Some of the stuff had nothing to do with the BoSox organization, it had more to do with Everett being a prick. Like when he hit a home run off Jamie Moyer and as he's circling the bases, he spits at Moyer and grabs his crotch.

Not the kind of guy you bring in to play with a bnch of youngsters.

duke of dorwood
12-13-2001, 09:15 AM
Not giving up Garland and no Everett is a productive day in my world. Let's think in a direction that would be positive , OK? KW?

harwar
12-13-2001, 10:28 AM
Even tho it may be for only one year,my heart sank when i heard the D.Erstad deal fell thru.Hes' what we all hope Aaron Rowand may be someday.I heard J.Dyes' name being thrown around also.I love both those players.