PDA

View Full Version : Greatest game in Sox history?

anewman35
10-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Can anybody come up with a game that was better (in terms of drama and importance) than last night's was? I think it's hard to top, but maybe I'm just blanking on something...

eriqjaffe
10-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Wednesday, when the Sox will complete the sweep.

The way things are going, I felt that didn't really deserve deep pink.

HITMEN OF 77
10-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Can anybody come up with a game that was better (in terms of drama and importance) than last night's was? I think it's hard to top, but maybe I'm just blanking on something...

Greatest game in Sox history, IMO yes, greatest game in WS history, deffinetly top 5.

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 12:29 PM
It's up there. I still think the Valentin game is up there along with Frank's 400th HR to sweep the Twins. Also, don't forget about William Ligue's Tom Gamboa game.

downstairs
10-24-2005, 12:36 PM
We won't know until its over.

When Kirk Gibson hit his game 1 home run... it was magical, but its significance wasn't known until the series was over. Had LA lost, it would be an interesting footnote.

If we take the next 2, or 2 out of the next 3.... then there is no doubt, the Knoerko and Scottie homers go into World Series history somewhere in the top 5 or 10....

CaptainBallz
10-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah, it rests on the outcome of the series. Personally, it was the best game I'd ever witnessed, period. The fact that it's the frickin' WS didn't make it any less amazing.

But pending the outcome of this series, that was a game of lore.

soxfanatlanta
10-24-2005, 01:06 PM
That was one of the few games that left me stunned - I just stared blankly at the screen for a few seconds before it registered that it was over and they won. I will have to wait until the WS is over before I give it the nod - Win #4 could top it.

BTW: Can anybody from the game even talk today? You ears still ringing? I assume they lost their voices by the 7th, but after the 9th...

Just wondering

BeviBall!
10-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Greatest half-game in history. Lots of gaffes on both sides to start... but no one can mess with that ending!

IspepAloc
10-24-2005, 01:15 PM
BTW: Can anybody from the game even talk today? You ears still ringing? I assume they lost their voices by the 7th, but after the 9th...

Just wondering

I'm still having problems talking from game 1 :D:

PaulDrake
10-24-2005, 01:17 PM
The greatest and most heart stopping game for me in almost a half century of watching and rooting for the Sox. Hopefully there will be the greatest one of all in a couple of days.

CaptainBallz
10-24-2005, 01:25 PM

Just wondering

I'm not answering the phone or making any calls that I should be making today. I don't see how it'll be any better tomorrow and will be worse after Tuesday. I'm going to have to learn sign language.

If that answers your question.:tongue:

Sxy Mofo
10-24-2005, 01:25 PM
That'd be considered one of the best white sox games in history if played in the regular season.

Let alone have that game played in a world series game.

Think about it... you'd be hard pressed to find a true white sox fan who's followed this team all year going "c'mon scotty, hit a homer". We'd do that for paully, for dye, for iguchi, for carl, for AJ, for joe, for a-row, for uribe... but I doubt anyone was doing it for scotty. The collective white sox fan base had to be going, "get on base here scott... c'mon"

Sox of White
10-24-2005, 01:26 PM
That was one of the few games that left me stunned - I just stared blankly at the screen for a few seconds before it registered that it was over and they won. I will have to wait until the WS is over before I give it the nod - Win #4 could top it.

Just wondering

I know it is definitely difficult to talk, and I cough a lot.

anewman35
10-24-2005, 02:05 PM

Just wondering

My voice is cracking, my ears hurt, and my hands are sore. All in all, a really fun night.:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 02:08 PM
I didn't get home till almost 1am. So on top of having no voice I have my eyelids propped open.

chooper
10-24-2005, 02:42 PM
it should be considered one of the best world series games. a grand slam, lead changes, controversy, a walkoff homerun off one of the best closers in the game. this game had everything.

ChiSoxPatF
10-24-2005, 03:11 PM
This has got to rank up there with the greatest world series games ever and I cannot imagine a White Sox game that could top this. I'm pretty good with White Sox history but I can't think of any of the world series games that ended this dramatically for our franchise.

I was there. I turned to my dad and told him I hope Paulie doesn't swing for the fences, just get a basehit and tie the ball game. Get the runners across. Then he hit it and I literally thought - this is deep enough. it is fair. but i don't believe what I am seeing. this can't go, can it!? this doesn't happen to the WHITE SOX! It took about 2 more batters for it all to register as REALLY happening.

Then Pod's homerun. It landed directly 6 rows in front of me; had he put 20 feet more on it it would have landed in my lap. I thought it was just going to hang up there then everyone thought, hey! its a double. Then it went and i think it brought a tear to everyone's eyes as everyone hugged and danced and stuff.

No one left the stadium for almost a half hour, I have never seen anything like that in my entire life and probably won't ever again.

Greatest game in White Sox history? I cannot imagine a greater game ever being played.

WSoxFanForever
10-24-2005, 03:23 PM
I realize this isn't original, but if the Sox win it all (anyone who chats with me during games knows I'm very suspicious)--so IF they win it all, THAT will be the greatest game in White Sox history. And one of the greatest days of my life.

tifosiv122
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM

Just wondering

I lost my voice sometime last night after the HR...its getting a bit better today. I was right near the section that Pauls HR landed...it was so loud we didn't hear the fireworks go off...we didn't stop screaming until the next inning.

Second best experience of my life.

Erik

elrod
10-24-2005, 03:39 PM
No doubt about it, the game was an instant classic. Easily the best game ever for the White Sox, considering the circumstances. And the best World Series game since 2001 (Games 4, 5 and 7), and maybe 2002 Game 6. What made the game so amazing was not the see-saw battle, but the fact that Scott Podsednik hit the home run. That's why Bucky Dent is so famous. Had Reggie Jackson hit it then the legend would have been different. Another comparison is Ozzie Smith's "Go Crazy, Folks!" homer for the Cards in 1985. Just a magical October performance out of nowhere.

If I had to judge the best WS games, in reverse chronological order, they would be:

2005 Game Two
2002 Game Six
2001 Game Seven
2001 Game Five
2001 Game Four
2000 Game One
1997 Game Seven
1996 Game Four
1993 Game Six
1992 Game Two, Three and Six
1991 Game Two, Three, Six and Seven
1988 Game One
1986 Game Six
1985 Game Six
1982 Game Four
1980 Game Five
1978 Game Four
1975 Game Two, Three, Six and Seven

BNLSox
10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
That'd be considered one of the best white sox games in history if played in the regular season.

Let alone have that game played in a world series game.

Think about it... you'd be hard pressed to find a true white sox fan who's followed this team all year going "c'mon scotty, hit a homer". We'd do that for paully, for dye, for iguchi, for carl, for AJ, for joe, for a-row, for uribe... but I doubt anyone was doing it for scotty. The collective white sox fan base had to be going, "get on base here scott... c'mon"

I was hoping he'd hit a double and steal third and we'd squeeze him in, but my girlfriend announced that he was going to hit a homerun. She obviously doesn't watch too much, but she was right!!

eastchicagosoxfan
10-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Because of the stage that the game took place on, it is the greatest game in Sox history. There have been dozens of exciting regular season games, and let's not forget El Duque's game three performance, but the Sox have played eight World Series games in the last seventy-five years, and there's been none bigger than Sunday's.

slobes
10-24-2005, 08:03 PM
I didn't get home till almost 1am. So on top of having no voice I have my eyelids propped open.

Ditto. And on top of all that, I'm not sure if it's related or anything, but my right pinky is me (maybe from clapping? Or scorekeeper's cramp? I dunno)

chisoxfanatic
10-24-2005, 09:18 PM
The thing about the game was that it completely epitomized the entire season for our Sox. WIN or die trying, always capitalizing on EVERYTHING, making the opposition pay dearly at all times. This one will go down for the ages. Definitely, that was the most meaningful game in Sox history so far.

NOW LET'S WIN THE WHOLE THING BY WEDNESDAY NIGHT! ChiSoxGirl and I would appreciate it, as we were about to have convulsions at Puffers last night.

IronFisk
10-24-2005, 09:41 PM
As of today...YES!