PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity knocks, and the White Sox answer

vafan
10-24-2005, 10:59 AM
I love the fact that not a single one of the controversial calls in the playoffs have scored a run for the White Sox. None. Zip. Nada.

Every time we have caught a break, whether it was Tony G. missing a grounder, or AJ's steal of first base, or Dye's play last night, the White Sox have had to follow that break with a great play. And they have done so EVERY TIME.

That is why this White Sox team is so special. They seize the moment.

GO WHITE SOX!!

SoxFan76
10-24-2005, 11:12 AM
I've been saying this since the beginning. PLEASE someone notify Fox and ESPN of this fact! Those breaks mean NOTHING unless the Sox capitalize and make it hurt. Time after time the Sox take advantage of the breaks they get.

vafan
10-24-2005, 03:22 PM
I think ESPN got it right - crediting Iguchi for capitalizing - after the Tony G. gaffe because that was so clearly player error.

And if you noticed Buck and McCarver voted for Joe Crede to be MVP of the ALCS because he capitalized after the Doug Eddings call. (I always thought that play was blown by the Angels because a wrong dropped 3rd strike call is one of the few calls that the aggrieved team can fix by tagging the runner or throwing to first.)

Last night I think they made too much of the call on Dye and not enough of Konerko's slam.

But what the heck, it was another Game 2, and another wild White Sox victory.

For me all of these plays just make the whole experience more memorable. If the story line in the end is that the Gods were with us, I'll take that, if at the end of the story the White Sox can hoist that World Series trophy.

GO WHITE SOX!!!

doublem23
10-24-2005, 03:26 PM
It's kind of a double-edged sword, though. Pierzynski's strike-out wouldn't still be talked about today is Ozuna got thrown out at 2nd or Crede grounded out. The controversy remains because the Sox are capitalizing, like any good team should do.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Even the Steve Finley catcher's interference non-call did not affect the score of that game -- notwithstanding the mediots & disgruntled fans who erroneously claimed that a run would have scored if it had been called (the batter would have been awarded first base and the result would have been bases loaded, one out) -- and the Angels failed to capitalize when it appeared that Freddy might have been starting to falter. Instead Freddy collected himself and did not allow the Angels to get close...

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Even the Steve Finley catcher's interference non-call did not affect the score of that game -- notwithstanding the mediots & disgruntled fans who erroneously claimed that a run would have scored if it had been called (the batter would have been awarded first base and the result would have been bases loaded, one out) -- and the Angels failed to capitalize when it appeared that Freddy might have been starting to falter. Instead Freddy collected himself and did not allow the Angels to get close...Actually a run WOULD have scored if dumb-ass Finley had run down to first instead of arguing with the ump and getting doubled up.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Actually a run WOULD have scored if dumb-ass Finley had run down to first instead of arguing with the ump and getting doubled up.
Yes it certainly would, but if the umpire had called catcher's interference the hitter would have been awarded first base and only the runner from first would have (necessarily) advanced. The runner on 3rd would not have advanced. That play was yet another dubious assumption by an Angel player...

batmanZoSo
10-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm sure we'll hear all his crap about how we've gotten all these breaks. It doesn't matter because we've only lost one game in the month of October. It's called domination. Two or three lucky breaks do not a World Champion make.

White Sox = lucky & damn good.

BNLSox
10-24-2005, 05:10 PM
I couldnt agree with you more Batman. We're lucky and Great! When you beat the snot out of everyone you face you cannot be considered just lucky.

vafan
10-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Check out this Mike Bauman article on the whitesox.com site. It is a joy to read.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20051023&content_id=1257755&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Goose
10-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Check out this Mike Bauman article on the whitesox.com site. It is a joy to read.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20051023&content_id=1257755&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Excellent read! Thanks.

slobes
10-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Did anyone hear Garner's interview on the postgame yesterday? I heard a little of it, and it seemed like he was whining about how many breaks the Sox are getting, about how "they can do nothing wrong". These breaks included Dye's broken bad grounder that definitely would have been a double play if he had not broken his bat. Funny, he didn't seem to mention such plays as Taveras's little squibbler single that went about 7 feet.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Two or three lucky breaks do not a World Champion make

yodaspeak?

soxinthecity
10-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Just as any team manufactures hits and runs, good teams find a way to sometime manufacture luck and then how to add to it as well.