PDA

View Full Version : Madison Avenue???

Slats
10-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Will someone tell the dimwits at Fox that Madison Avenue is in New York. During the game they showed a graphic showing the dividing line between the northside and southside as "Madison Avenue". I think the announcers said avenue at least three times. It's Madison Street. Sheesh.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2005, 08:55 PM
They truly are clueless, aren't they?

:o:

samram
10-23-2005, 09:05 PM
I noticed this too. Don't avenues run north and south in Chicago?

PaulDrake
10-23-2005, 09:12 PM
According to them there is no west side of Chicago.

mdep524
10-24-2005, 12:27 AM
The Madison Ave. thing was just another chapter in Fox's terrible World Series.

I had very low expectations for the Fox crew in the World Series, especially after their awful ALCS coverage. They have still managed to disappoint me. Joe Buck's calls for an instant classic like tonight were downright terrible. No excitement, no sense of history, nothing. He sounds dejected and personally offended.

Paul Konerko hits a grand slam in the World Series!! And Joe Buck/Fox is showing close ups of a ball four possible foul ball? Then Scott Podsednik hits a walk off HR in the World Series!!! And Joe Buck and McCarver sound like 5-year-old kids in denial. I mean, aren't those two HRs the point for the epic call? The great broadcaster moment? Not from these two, apparently. No one's expecting them to root for the Sox, but their indifference to historic moments is not accurate announcing- it doesn't reflect the magnitude of the play or of the energy in the ballpark.

Half Cocked Jack
10-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Paul Konerko hits a grand slam in the World Series!! And Joe Buck/Fox is showing close ups of a ball four possible foul ball? Then Scott Podsednik hits a walk off HR in the World Series!!! And Joe Buck and McCarver sound like 5-year-old kids in denial. I mean, aren't those two HRs the point for the epic call? The great broadcaster moment? Not from these two, apparently. No one's expecting them to root for the Sox, but their indifference to historic moments is not accurate announcing- it doesn't reflect the magnitude of the play or of the energy in the ballpark.
I agree, just abysmal. They sounded deflated. Part of it was probably the sheer unbelievable nature of what happened, it took me a while to actually believe what I was seeing... but damn, I could have done far better than they did!

Jjav829
10-24-2005, 12:41 AM

That's just Joe Buck's style. Get over it. If you're looking for a Hawk-type call then don't bother listening. Buck doesn't scream and shout during big moments. And part of Buck's style is to let the crowd tell the story. That's the reason why on big strikeouts to end the inning he will stay silent, not making any call, just letting the crowd reaction tell the story.

Before anyone starts whining about how Buck is against the Sox, keep in mind the opposing team knocked out his Cardinals. If you actually believe he isn't enough of a professional to put aside any biases, then why would you believe he is against the Sox and not the team that knocked out his Cardinals?

SoxFan76
10-24-2005, 12:51 AM
As much of a homer as Hawk is, he also likes to let the crowd do the announcing for him. You can't deny that.

elrod
10-24-2005, 12:53 AM
That's just Joe Buck's style. Get over it. If you're looking for a Hawk-type call then don't bother listening. Buck doesn't scream and shout during big moments. And part of Buck's style is to let the crowd tell the story. That's the reason why on big strikeouts to end the inning he will stay silent, not making any call, just letting the crowd reaction tell the story.

Before anyone starts whining about how Buck is against the Sox, keep in mind the opposing team knocked out his Cardinals. If you actually believe he isn't enough of a professional to put aside any biases, then why would you believe he is against the Sox and not the team that knocked out his Cardinals?

Thank you for the voice of reason. I don't love everything Buck says, but I think he is a very solid, professional national announcer. Sure, I wish he wouldn't obsess over every umpire's call that went the Sox's way. But controversy sells, and the Dye play was a bona fide break for the Sox. Suffice it to say but Buck was genuinely shocked by Podsednik's homerun. And so was the rest of the world.

Banix12
10-24-2005, 12:55 AM
I don't know if others agree with me here but I think FOX's B-Crew of Thom Brennaman and Steve Lyons is vastly superior to Buck and McCarver. Neither Brennaman or Buck are all that excitable but Thom definitely calls a cleaner game and is less apt to make stupid puns and hokey jokes. Lyons isn't the greatest color man but he gives pretty good insight and isn't always stating the obvious like McCarver does ("By running to first base he was able to get there quicker.")

peeonwrigley
10-24-2005, 01:01 AM
I don't know if others agree with me here but I think FOX's B-Crew of Thom Brennaman and Steve Lyons is vastly superior to Buck and McCarver. Neither Brennaman or Buck are all that excitable but Thom definitely calls a cleaner game and is less apt to make stupid puns and hokey jokes. Lyons isn't the greatest color man but he gives pretty good insight and isn't always stating the obvious like McCarver does ("By running to first base he was able to get there quicker.")

I'm fine with Buck - I'm a huge proponent of letting the crowd tell the story. McCarver I could do without. Brennaman is good, too. In all honesty, I can't tell right away if its Buck or Brennaman doing a game because they sound so much alike.

Chips
10-24-2005, 01:24 AM

Some do some dont't, Devon avenue for example.

PaulDrake
10-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Joe Buck bores me to tears.

doublem23
10-24-2005, 09:15 AM

Not neccessarily... Lawrence Ave., Montrose Ave., Belmont Ave., etc. Addison is a "street," as far as I know, and for the record, that's just what those streets are up by me, around Austin Ave.

Randar68
10-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Will someone please shoot Tim McCarver and put him out of his misery?

Good God, he's like a senile old man right now. Can't get basic names right... hell, the play Rowand failed to make 3rd on the misplay in LF he just couldn't fathom that it looked like the ball was going to be caught and by tagging would have been in scoring position...

Tim, I understand the "halfway" thing, but this was a towering fly ball, who is going to predict the ineptitude of the LF'er in the World Series? At least by tagging he gets into scoring position...

We need a MCCarver Tag so I can stick the peeing guy next to him...

Oh well, guess Ill's have to live with this one for today:

:pee :garner:

samram
10-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Not neccessarily... Lawrence Ave., Montrose Ave., Belmont Ave., etc. Addison is a "street," as far as I know, and for the record, that's just what those streets are up by me, around Austin Ave.

Gotcha. Thanks.

TDog
10-24-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm listening to the World Series on ESPN Radio. John Miller is good and Joe Morgan is surprisingly good. They're calling it objectively, but Miller shows excitement for big plays on both sides. Miller's call of Konerko's slam was special.

After the game I went to hear the Sox radio calls at MLB.com. Ed Farmer's call of Konerko's slam was epic. John Rooney's call of Pods' game-winner was more exciting than Tim McCarver's dejected how-about-that call was mundane. McCarver's voice always bothered me. Then I noticed how stupid he was, and that bothered me. On top of everything, I can't stand his attitude.

2005 White Sox: Just deal with it.

Foulke You
10-24-2005, 10:48 AM
I hate Buck and McCarver for harping on the ump calls for the Sox over and over. If I hear Joe Buck say in a dejected voice one more time "The White Sox catch a HUGE break right there" I'm going to scream. As a previous poster said, they showed the Dye play at least 17 times and blew it up like the Zapruder film over and over again after Konerko's Grand Slam which we only saw one replay of. Yet, the Bobby Jenks obvious strike pitches that were called balls in the 9th that led to Vizcaino tying the game was only worthy of one replay and no harping from Buck. When the Stros catch a break, it is just skill I gues. By far, the best part of the broadcast evening was McCarver sounding like an idiot before the Pods homer:

Buck- "Do you think Lidge might still have a bad taste in his mouth from the NLCS game against the Cards where he gave up the Pujols homer? Some say that Garner should have tried to get Lidge in to Game 6 for some work."

McCarver- "No, I don't think it is a problem. He doesn't have any taste at all in his mouth."

***CRACK*** (Pods goes yard)

McCarver- "I don't believe it" (dejected voice)

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2005, 11:12 AM
The absolute worst moment was Saturday night when Crede hit the game-winning HR, and they continued chatting with the Astros' pitching coach. Helloooo. There's a game going on.:mad:

Randar68
10-24-2005, 11:18 AM
The absolute worst moment was Saturday night when Crede hit the game-winning HR, and they continued chatting with the Astros' pitching coach. Helloooo. There's a game going on.:mad:

Those are taped between innings and replayed... guess they weren't expecting to have to stop mid-stream... they did start talking over it right as it was ending, but that's the problem with coming back from break and into some pre-recorded baloney. Like when they came back before Konerko's HR, they came back and right into the pitch, seemed like some kind of replay at first, just bad producing on their part.

Jjav829
10-24-2005, 11:19 AM

Once again, since it seems like a lot of people don't understand this; Those interviews are taped. They tape the interviews between innings because the managers/coaches don't want to have to talk while the game is going on. Once the game starts back up they role the tape delayed interview in with the live action.

samram
10-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Once again, since it seems like a lot of people don't understand this; Those interviews are taped. They tape the interviews between innings because the managers/coaches don't want to have to talk while the game is going on. Once the game starts back up they role the tape delayed interview in with the live action.

You're correct, but if they want to chat about Wandy Rodriguez, why not do it some other time? I don't really see what it adds to the game, and that goes for the chats with Ozzie and/or Coop and/or Walker, as well. Just show me the damn game.

ewokpelts
10-24-2005, 12:07 PM

Before anyone starts whining about how Buck is against the Sox, keep in mind the opposing team knocked out his Cardinals. If you actually believe he isn't enough of a professional to put aside any biases, then why would you believe he is against the Sox and not the team that knocked out his Cardinals?he sounded very excited last year as the fake sox beat "his" cardinals....
Gene

DenverSock
10-24-2005, 01:08 PM
You miss the national announcing team of Gargiola and Kubeck.