PDA

View Full Version : Sox veto Fire plan for ballpark

jklm
12-13-2001, 02:23 AM
The White Sox formally turned down the Fire's request Wednesday to play at Comiskey Park.

With renovations beginning at Soldier Field immediately after the Bears' season ends, the Fire needed to find a place to play the next two seasons. Major League Soccer's season lasts from March to October.

Comiskey always was rumored to be an option because the stadium was financed with public funds. The White Sox, however, have veto power over other events at Comiskey Park.

It's believed that Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, despite requests from Mayor Daley, refused the Fire because he didn't want the field damaged by at least 14 soccer games there.

http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,169883,00.html

CLR01
12-13-2001, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by jklm
The White Sox formally turned down the Fire's request Wednesday to play at Comiskey Park.

With renovations beginning at Soldier Field immediately after the Bears' season ends, the Fire needed to find a place to play the next two seasons. Major League Soccer's season lasts from March to October.

Comiskey always was rumored to be an option because the stadium was financed with public funds. The White Sox, however, have veto power over other events at Comiskey Park.

It's believed that Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, despite requests from Mayor Daley, refused the Fire because he didn't want the field damaged by at least 14 soccer games there.

http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,169883,00.html

LMAO, where are all our bigleaguesoocer friends now. Time to find a high school football field.

WinningUgly!
12-13-2001, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

LMAO, where are all our bigleaguesoocer friends now. Time to find a high school football field.

That's funny, you know they were all dying to come back & say "I told ya so". My guess is we won't be hearing from them anytime soon.

RedPinStripes
12-13-2001, 02:54 AM
This is good news to me. They can play at Armour Square park if they don't get their ass kick out of htere.

CLR01
12-13-2001, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
This is good news to me. They can play at Armour Square park if they don't get their ass kick out of htere.

I dont care where they play as long as it is not on the sox field or in Schaumburg.

FarWestChicago
12-13-2001, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

That's funny, you know they were all dying to come back & say "I told ya so". My guess is we won't be hearing from them anytime soon. I believe they did think they were going to be moon walking at our expense. So much for the end zone/sack dance. :smile:

WinningUgly!
12-13-2001, 03:06 AM
They can take their 2nd rate sport 8 miles north if they want to. Hell, most sCrUB fans wouldn't even realize a different game was being played.

RedPinStripes
12-13-2001, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
They can take their 2nd rate sport 8 miles north if they want to. Hell, most sCrUB fans wouldn't even realize a different game was being played.

True. I think they might figure it out when all the Corona and Modello are being sold over that piss poor Budwieser they call a beer.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-13-2001, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by jklm
The White Sox formally turned down the Fire's request Wednesday to play at Comiskey Park...

Gee, they had it all figured out, too. Comiskey had to be the choice because it was "public". LMAO!!! Like I tried to tell these numbskulls, if the lease Reinsdorf signed is as air-tight as everyone knows it is, the White Sox have virtual ownership rights regardless of who footed the construction price.

The whole thing was a pipedream for these people. They were in the Parking Lot again just a few days ago referring to us as "co-tenants" next season. Man, get a clue!

You know what was the most funny? It was the way so many of them were hung up on the aesthetics of their precious field. They convinced themselves Hansen Stadium wouldn't work because it has an artificial turf surface. Boo hoo. Next they figured Comiskey would be good enough if only they could sod over the dirt portion of the infield. To their way of thinking, the wear and tear on the turf portions of the field were of no consequence--as long as there was no dirt areas spoiling their "beautiful" game.

The Fire, and their fans, deserve exactly what they've got--nothing. There are innummerable grass high school and college football fields throughout Chicago and the suburbs. Pick one, and get the hell out of here!

Spiff
12-13-2001, 06:29 AM
Aha see I said I trusted JR. He thought it was a bad idea and he vetoed it. Chalk one up to a Type B!

RedPinStripes
12-13-2001, 06:42 AM
Well said PHG

Jerry_Manuel
12-13-2001, 06:50 AM
Do my eyes deceive me or am I reading a pro Jerry Reinsdorf thread? First time, last time.

RedPinStripes
12-13-2001, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Do my eyes deceive me or am I reading a pro Jerry Reinsdorf thread? First time, last time.

There could be more positives if a few big trades are completed.

Happy 300th post to me!

heybeerman
12-13-2001, 09:48 AM
It's no wonder I never go to Sox games.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-13-2001, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by heybeerman
It's no wonder I never go to Sox games.

Not a very auspicious debut on the board, beer dude.

So tell us, why don't you go to Sox games, besides perhaps you might be a
:troll

FarWestChicago
12-13-2001, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Not a very auspicious debut on the board, beer dude.

So tell us, why don't you go to Sox games, besides perhaps you might be a
:troll Have no fear. Our new, trollish friend is under moderation. He can post, but it goes through me before it shows up. :smile: