PDA

View Full Version : Very COOL Sox AD from NIKE

Soul_bat
10-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Newbie here. Went to the game last night - absolutely incredible. Anyway heres an AD that has been runiing in the papers. Pretty much sums things up for me.

There are two baseball teams in Chicago.

One is loved not just in Chicago, but nationally. A fan base as far and wide as this great country. Then you have the this other team on the southside. Whose fan base is just the southside.

The Southside White Sox are not a popular team. You don't see kids wearing their baseball caps in NY and LA and London. They are blue collar. Nothing fancy. No frills. Just a bunch of small ballers and outcasts who found a home on the other side of town.

They are the team of their people and that's the way they play- with all heart and more heart and just when they think they've given you all the heart they have,they give you a little more. That's the Southside for you.

So when you're watching this series you're not just watching a baseball team. You're witnessing the collective soul of a few hundred thousand people on one side of town.

World,meet the Southside Whitesox.

Just do itů..

getonbckthr
10-23-2005, 11:09 AM
If Thats Real I Like That Alot. Finnally An Introduction To The World Lord Knows Fox And Espn(y) Havent Done It For Us.

Baby Fisk
10-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Really nice. A perfect counterbalance to when idiots like Jeanne Zelasko start talking about a "White Sox Nation". :rolleyes:

chisoxfan83
10-23-2005, 11:22 AM
it is definately real saw it in the sun times yesterday, it was great! :D:

irish rover
10-23-2005, 11:26 AM
sniff,<wipe away tears>

love it

zach074
10-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Great AD!:gulp:

O Yea and Welcome! You'll like it here.

Clembasbal
10-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Makes me feel really proud to be born and raised on the Southside of town!

shbart
10-23-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm all for Southside pride, but as a life long Northside Sox fan, shouldn't I feel alienated by this? When I saw it in the paper I appreciated what the ad was going for, but I really think promoting exclusionary and seperation, is not what being a Sox fan is all about...just my .02

FarWestChicago
10-23-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm all for Southside pride, but as a life long Northside Sox fan, shouldn't I feel alienated by this?No. You are reading far too much into a simple ad. You physically live on the Northside, but you are a Southsider at heart. Otherwise, you would be a Flubbie. :redneck

shbart
10-23-2005, 11:41 AM
O.k., I'll accept that...I always wanted to be an honorary Southsider. I have to admit that I had to go to Puffers last weekend because I feel like I'm living in the twighlight zone.

slavko
10-23-2005, 12:53 PM
We're all over the place. A lot of people were showing colors at the Lake Forest Jewel yesterday. That's as "North Shore" as you can get.

tebman
10-23-2005, 01:01 PM
O.k., I'll accept that...I always wanted to be an honorary Southsider. I have to admit that I had to go to Puffers last weekend because I feel like I'm living in the twighlight zone.
Shbart, if you appreciate hard work (in whatever form), and if you don't appreciate phoniness (in whatever form), and if you care more for people who are true to themselves (in whatever form), then you're an honorary SouthSider.

That's why we love this team. They remind us of all that we appreciate. It doesn't matter whether or not you're geographically on the South Side.

Don't ever apologize for who you are. Ozzie sure doesn't! :thumbsup:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2005, 01:05 PM
The Sox are all over the Jewel and Dominicks stores. Besides the t-shirts and novelties, the bakeries are cranking out Sox cakes, cookies, and cupcakes. It's unbelievable. I've been in the grocery business for 20 years and I've NEVER seen this kind of commercial support for the Chicago White Sox. Ever.

If this was the Bears or Bulls or even the Cubs it wouldn't be noteworthy at all. However the raised visibility the Sox have achieved this month in the mass media has definitely reached a critical mass where popular support takes on a life all of its own. This bodes very well for the Sox in 2006 and beyond. Trust me on this. It's unprecedented for this franchise.

:thumbsup:

goodsy72
10-23-2005, 01:08 PM
:threadrules:

Welcome to the Sox Army :cool:

HotelWhiteSox
10-23-2005, 01:42 PM
The Southside White Sox are not a popular team. You don't see kids wearing their baseball caps in NY and LA and London.

Psshh, you'll see them in Japan. And don't forget the rappers who love to pimp the Sox hat :cool:

Blueprint1
10-23-2005, 01:53 PM
I really think its bad to say you have to live on the southside of chicago to be a sox fan. The sox should be Chicago's team not just the southsides team. We need to get away from being the Southsiders and be the Chicago white sox. I was born on the Northside of Chicago does that make me less of a Sox fan?

Frankfan4life
10-23-2005, 02:51 PM
I liked the ad but I disagree that the fanbase is strictly southside. We may not have a huge national following that some other teams have but the fans of the White Sox are true baseball fans and they can be found everywhere.

I am proud to be a Sox fan, a diverse collection of one of the most loyal, rabid, gritty, gutsy, knowledgeable, and honorable baseball fans in the country. White Sox fans are bound to the team not because it is the popular thing to do but because they are willing to invest their heart and soul to a team that promises them no other glory except that which can be derived from the pure joy of competition, tradition, and love of the sport. That has always been enough for White Sox fans.

Personally, I don't even care about the cubs anymore. I don't hate them, I just don't care about them. They don't exist to me anymore. They are a non-entity. It is them who have to try to beat US for bragging rights because we have them now.

saltwater farmer
10-23-2005, 03:27 PM
can somebody scan this ad? I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

Go Sox!

dividedsk717
10-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Southside baseball: it's a mindset.

nebraskasox
10-23-2005, 03:47 PM
We're all over the place. A lot of people were showing colors at the Lake Forest Jewel yesterday. That's as "North Shore" as you can get.

I have met Sox fans all over the mid & southwest especially places I've lived and visited the most - Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas. I have lots of stories about meeting Sox fans in the unlikeliest places. I think the media underestimates how many Sox fans there are in this country. I must admit though that most of these people seem to be former Chicagoans who now reside elsewhere. Probably not too many who have no Chicago ties but think it's "cool" or popular to be a Sox fan (expept maybe the rappers?) That could change though in about a week.

Alanzo XXXVIII
10-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Can someone scan the ad?

Thanks

Chicago
10-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Man it feels good to be a SOX fan.

elrod
10-23-2005, 04:18 PM
I've seen Sox flags in Wilmette, Sox balloons and t-shirts galore in the Jewel in Evanston, "Go Sox" signs on store marquees in Skokie, Sox flags on cars in Rogers Park. Some of these people might be Cub fans showing support for the Sox in the Series. But I bet a lot more are the long, suffering and once-silent minority of Sox fans on the North Side and North Suburbs who are letting everybody know where they stand. And frankly, I have met only one Cub fan rooting against the Sox, and he lives in Minneapolis.

jackbrohamer
10-23-2005, 04:23 PM
I've seen Sox flags in Wilmette, Sox balloons and t-shirts galore in the Jewel in Evanston, "Go Sox" signs on store marquees in Skokie, Sox flags on cars in Rogers Park.

And the Sports Authority in Lakeview by Clark & Belmont was overflowing with Sox merchandise when I went there today to buy my wife a Sox sweatshirt for tonight's game. An amazing thing to see.

tadscout
10-24-2005, 12:20 AM
can somebody scan this ad? I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

Go Sox!

Yeah, I'd love to see it too.

TDog
10-24-2005, 01:57 AM
Man it feels good to be a SOX fan.

Tonight it really does. Actually, we are found all over the world, but we have real baseball roots that take us to 35th and Shields. We don't root for a baseball team because it's cute and fashionable. This is our team, even when they drive us nuts. Long ago, before WGN was a super station and Harry Caray was still in St. Louis, humorist Jean Shepard wrote about the tenacity of Sox fans in a world of Cubs fans.

This is our team. That's why it feels so good.

ferdinandshen
10-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Believe it or not, White Sox is an international brand. Although not as widely recognized as NYY and Bean town Sox, you can easily find Sox gears (real, MLB licensed stuff) in Taiwan. I first know White Sox on a sport weekly in Taiwan, and I clearly remember the pitcher on the picture is La Marr Hoyt in 1983 SOX jersey. I came to Chicago in the summer of 1998 for graduate school. My brother bought me a Sox cap and two Sox t-shirts before I left Taiwan. It is the right decision. I did not think of getting a Cubs shirt even though it is the highest of the corky-steroid man's HR race.

DenverSock
10-24-2005, 03:53 AM
The Southside White Sox are not a popular team. You don't see kids wearing their baseball caps in NY and LA and London. They are blue collar. Nothing fancy. No frills. Just a bunch of small ballers and outcasts who found a home on the other side of town.

You'll find their caps everywhere, even here in Colorado.

Johnny Mostil
10-24-2005, 08:55 AM
On a slightly unrelated and completely unscientific note, http://commoncensus.org/sports_map.php?sport=2 makes White Sox, um, Enclave look rather small. Maybe nobody has posted the link (and means to vote on the map -- http://commoncensus.org) in, um, the right places yet . . .

scottjanssens
10-24-2005, 10:00 AM
I go to NY once or twice a month and I always see a handful of Sox caps. And the Sox don't play small ball. Stupid ad.

Procol Harum
10-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Believe it or not, White Sox is an international brand. Although not as widely recognized as NYY and Bean town Sox, you can easily find Sox gears (real, MLB licensed stuff) in Taiwan. I first know White Sox on a sport weekly in Taiwan, and I clearly remember the pitcher on the picture is La Marr Hoyt in 1983 SOX jersey. I came to Chicago in the summer of 1998 for graduate school. My brother bought me a Sox cap and two Sox t-shirts before I left Taiwan. It is the right decision. I did not think of getting a Cubs shirt even though it is the highest of the corky-steroid man's HR race.

Right on, Ferd--you go, man! A shout out to the Taiwanese Sox home boys!

1951Campbell
10-24-2005, 10:11 AM
On a slightly unrelated and completely unscientific note, http://commoncensus.org/sports_map.php?sport=2 makes White Sox, um, Enclave look rather small. Maybe nobody has posted the link (and means to vote on the map -- http://commoncensus.org (http://commoncensus.org/)) in, um, the right places yet . . .

SOX ARMY!

We need to hit this. The Sox' territory is this barely visible sliver on the South Side...

mjharrison72
10-24-2005, 10:32 AM
And here's to all of us who keep the South Side Spirit alive on the North Side!:gulp:

halfpricemonday
10-24-2005, 10:34 AM
And here's to all of us who keep the South Side Spirit alive on the North Side!:gulp:

Amen! I'll drink to that! :gulp:

TomBradley72
10-24-2005, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't take the ad so literally. It's about a smaller yet more intense, more rabid, more "pure baseball" fan base connecting with it's team. The "southside" aspect is a little overstated...but as a "west sider" (originally)....I loved it. Plan on framing it.

skottyj242
10-24-2005, 11:19 AM
I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago and I wear it like a badge on my sleeve. Now living in Wicker Park I am still proud of where I grew up and always will be. You can take the boy out of the south side but you can't take the south side out of the boy.

manders_01
10-24-2005, 11:21 AM
IMO, the Southside refered to in the ad is not the geographic Southside, it's the homebase for Sox fans all over the world. 9 times out of 10, if you ask a Sox, fan, they have some strong tie to the Southside (currently live there, grew up there, lived there at sometime, have a family member who lives or lived there that influenced them, etc.). And although Sox fans are all over the world, if you were to poll every MLB fan around the world, it is almost guarenteed that there would be a low density of Sox fans.

kevingrt
10-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Awesome ad... pretty much hits everything right on the head. Good job by Nike realizing what kind of team this is and where we are in this city and nation.

Soul_bat
10-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Guys,

Reading WAY too much into this. I don't care where you live or grew up if you're a SOX fan - you're a friend of mine. Being a Sox fan - at least for me is about having a chip on your shoulder and playing with heart. That's all I was trying to get across. BTW here is a message I posted a few weeks back (during the Boston series) when talking smack with a Cub's fan in our Fantasy football league. His comment was He couldn't believe I would go to a Sox game without a Kevlar vest. Here is my reply (this echoes the Nike AD):

Just came home from Game 2. :dtroll: Go SOX!!! AKA the Common Man's Team.

BTW Jay ..... You have nailed the reason why SOX fans and Cubs fans differ. SOX fans don't worry about safety. WE don't need Kevlar Vests or Nerf Suits or a Note from MOM. We were born to take chances and risks. We dont worry about how many "friendly" faces there are in a neighborhood or how many "FUN" bars there are. IF we were to live our life like Cubs fans we would be speaking German for the last 60 years
WE love baseball. END OF STORY. See you in the World Series.

Also- You don't have to worry ... No Bartmans at Comiskullar. We take our losses like men. We don't blame lame retarded types for our shortcomings.

antitwins13
10-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Newbie here. Went to the game last night - absolutely incredible. Anyway heres an AD that has been runiing in the papers. Pretty much sums things up for me.

There are two baseball teams in Chicago.

One is loved not just in Chicago, but nationally. A fan base as far and wide as this great country. Then you have the this other team on the southside. Whose fan base is just the southside.

They are the team of their people and that's the way they play- with all heart and more heart and just when they think they've given you all the heart they have,they give you a little more. That's the Southside for you.

So when you're watching this series you're not just watching a baseball team. You're witnessing the collective soul of a few hundred thousand people on one side of town.

World,meet the Southside Whitesox.

Just do itů..

I'm not too proud to say I shed a few tears while reading this.:whiner:

Sox&Springsteen
10-24-2005, 11:40 AM
IMO, the Southside refered to in the ad is not the geographic Southside, it's the homebase for Sox fans all over the world. 9 times out of 10, if you ask a Sox, fan, they have some strong tie to the Southside (currently live there, grew up there, lived there at sometime, have a family member who lives or lived there that influenced them, etc.). And although Sox fans are all over the world, if you were to poll every MLB fan around the world, it is almost guarenteed that there would be a low density of Sox fans.

I have to agree with this--it's irrelevant where a Sox fan lives or grew up, but almost inevitably, there will be a strong tie to the South Side. We are a regional team who (with apologies to Yeats) are rooted in one dear, perpetual place--The South Side of Chicago.

Having lived away from Chicago for some time, I am gleeful thinking about Sox merchandise piled up in places like the North Shore! How sweet it is! Most of these folks wouldn't have given the Sox the time of day prior to this season. Seeing the pictures online of the Picasso and the Art Institute lions just fills me with pride as a White Sox fan. Being a Chicagoan and being a White Sox fan are synonomous to me--I have never been able to separate them.

In the Northwest Suburbs where I grew up one very rarely-- and I mean rarely--saw a White Sox sticker on a car or a hat on anyone; baseball was synonyomus with the Cubs, and everyone "presumed" you rooted for the Cubs; Little league field trips were, unquestionably, to Wrigley Field; If one questioned this and even mentioned Comiskey Park, the response was a blank stare--the Cubs monopoly, which later morphed into a Cubs/Bears/Bulls monopoly (yawn) was pervasive, oppressive, and banal.

It is within this context that I am so happy to know that kids all over Chicago will be growing up and seeing what is, for so many Sox fans, the season of our life--and that many, regardless of what side of town they live on, may actually become genuine Sox fans.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Where there is not a strong tie to the South Side (for instance, the many fans who have written in from all over the world over the last few weeks), I tip my hat to you all. Regardless of where one lives or comes from, if you love the White Sox, they are YOUR Chicago White Sox.

WHITE SOX FANS, OUR DAY HAS COME.

tebman
10-24-2005, 11:48 AM
I have to agree with this--it's irrelevant where a Sox fan lives or grew up, but almost inevitably, there will be a strong tie to the South Side. We are a regional team who (with apologies to Yeats) are rooted in one dear, perpetual place--The South Side of Chicago.

Having lived away from Chicago for some time, I am gleeful thinking about Sox merchandise piled up in places like the North Shore! How sweet it is! Most of these folks wouldn't have given the Sox the time of day prior to this season. Seeing the pictures online of the Picasso and the Art Institute lions just fills me with pride as a White Sox fan. Being a Chicagoan and being a White Sox fan are synonomous to me--I have never been able to separate them.

In the Northwest Suburbs where I grew up one very rarely-- and I mean rarely--saw a White Sox sticker on a car or a hat on anyone; baseball was synonyomus with the Cubs, and everyone "presumed" you rooted for the Cubs; Little league field trips were, unquestionably, to Wrigley Field; If one questioned this and even mentioned Comiskey Park, the response was a blank stare--the Cubs monopoly, which later morphed into a Cubs/Bears/Bulls monopoly (yawn) was pervasive, oppressive, and banal.

It is within this context that I am so happy to know that kids all over Chicago will be growing up and seeing what is, for so many Sox fans, the season of our life--and that many, regardless of what side of town they live on, may actually become genuine Sox fans.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Where there is not a strong tie to the South Side (for instance, the many fans who have written in from all over the world over the last few weeks), I tip my hat to you all. Regardless of where one lives or comes from, if you love the White Sox, they are YOUR Chicago White Sox.

WHITE SOX FANS, OUR DAY HAS COME.
Magnificent! These paragraphs should be saved and re-read by all of us every so often to remind us why we're here. :thumbsup:

Fenway
10-24-2005, 12:21 PM
I suspect you may soon see a variation of this commercial that NIKE ran last year

http://www.nike.com/usa/justdoit/v2/index.jhtml