PDA

View Full Version : The Houston homerun ball

XplodingScorbord
10-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Can someone who was there confirm whether or not it got thrown back on the field? I really, really hope it wasn't.

jshanahanjr
10-23-2005, 09:42 AM
It was not thrown back on the field.:bandance:

LongLiveFisk
10-23-2005, 09:47 AM
It appeared to be an elderly couple that caught it, so I tend to doubt it somehow. :smile:

voodoochile
10-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Looks like they were winding up to do it and the guy behind them leaned over and told them to keep their souveneir and they did.

Fuller_Schettman
10-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Looks like they were winding up to do it and the guy behind them leaned over and told them to keep their souveneir and they did.

Yeah I saw that too. The guy seemed to really be reasoning with the fella to "do the right thing" and keep the ball. Bet he was a WSI'er.

CHEESESOXER
10-23-2005, 10:51 AM
It would ONLY be morally correct to throw a cub hr ball back.

Of course, we'll never see them in the WS so, this is moot.:lynch&mcfail

jabrch
10-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Actually, I can tell you what happened...

The woman who caught the ball got harrassed by a bunch of people around her to throw it into the field of play. She (wisely) decided not to, and stuck it in her bag. After that inning, a security guard came from the Stros pen over to the wall and asked her if she'd like to trade the ball to Lamb for something. I'm not sure what she asked for, but a few innings later that security guard came back to her seats and handed her a different ball.

If it were me, I'd have only been asking for a signed ball by the entire Sox team and a signed ball by the Stros team. And if Lamb could get her great tickets next season when the Stros come to town - that would be a bonus. No reason to hold a guy hostage for his first World Series HR ball. That's a dream come true for Lamb. I'm glad the woman did the right thing and not throw the ball onto the field of play.

Clembasbal
10-23-2005, 11:40 AM
I got into an arguement at the bar over this last night. Though I don't remember much of the night, I remember this. I was really giving it to this "Sox" fan who was yelling at the TV to throw it back. I was the only guy in the place giving that idiot the business. Then I told him to take his new hat and new jersey off otherwise I would rip it off, and he left with his friends.

:D:

Chips
10-23-2005, 11:43 AM
It would ONLY be morally correct to throw a cub hr ball back.

Of course, we'll never see them in the WS so, this is moot.

You never throw a ball back. Give the ball to a little kid or somebody, throwing balls back onto the field is childish and should be left to the Northsiders.

jabrch
10-23-2005, 11:46 AM
You never throw a ball back. Give the ball to a little kid or somebody, throwing balls back onto the field is childish and should be left to the Northsiders.

Have someone from security come over and arrange to give the ball to the player - in trade for something you'd value (a team signed ball/jersey? tickets? etc...) Give it to a kid...

Whatever...

But throwing it back is just stupid.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Agreed. Find a kid between the ages of 6-11, especially one who brought a glove. They may forget the results of the game, but they'll always remember the day they got a free game-used baseball. (I'm not one to give baseballs to infants, especially since there's so many kids around.)

Elderly/handicapped people are the other option.

Madvora
10-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Have someone from security come over and arrange to give the ball to the player - in trade for something you'd value (a team signed ball/jersey? tickets? etc...) Give it to a kid...

Whatever...

But throwing it back is just stupid.
If security told me that Lamb wanted it back for something, the first and only thing I would be thinking of is tickets for game 2.

rocky biddle
10-23-2005, 12:15 PM
It looked like there was a guy behind the person that caught the ball that kept motioning toward the field, telling the person to throw it back. He had a coat with white sleeves, it looked like it might've been a Bears parka. I was way up in the UD so I didn't get a close view, but this guy was really driving me crazy. We were screaming to keep the ball and were very happy when the person didn't throw it back.

Clembasbal
10-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Agreed. Find a kid between the ages of 6-11, especially one who brought a glove. They may forget the results of the game, but they'll always remember the day they got a free game-used baseball. (I'm not one to give baseballs to infants, especially since there's so many kids around.)

Elderly/handicapped people are the other option.

I saw that happen once at the park, and the mom had the kid throw the ball back. It was if she thought she was giving the kid the ball to toss back. Just keep it for your kid/cousin/niece/nephew/grandchild/neighbor...etc.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-23-2005, 12:17 PM
If security told me that Lamb wanted it back for something, the first and only thing I would be thinking of is tickets for game 2.

Well, can't blame you there. Just explaining Sox protocol in case any "new fans" want to know.

Frankfan4life
10-23-2005, 12:18 PM

Whatever...

But throwing it back is just stupid.I totally agree. Throwing an opposing batter's homerun ball back onto the field proves nothing. It doesn't negate the homerun, it doesn't change the score, it doesn't make the person who hit the homerun feel bad and it doesn't make the opposing team feel bad. Other than making a few, possibly jealous, idiots feel good, throwing a homerun ball back onto the field accomplishes nothing else.

It is alright to keep a homerun ball NO MATTER WHO HITS IT! No true baseball fan will be mad at you or hate you because of it. It is a perfectly good and possibly valuable souvenir. KEEP IT!!!

If you throw a homerun ball back onto the field or urge someone else to do it, you're a weak, clueless, ignorant moron. Pure and simple.

shbart
10-23-2005, 12:28 PM
I totally agree. Throwing an opposing batter's homerun ball back onto the field proves nothing. It doesn't negate the homerun, it doesn't change the score, it doesn't make the person who hit the homerun feel bad and it doesn't make the opposing team feel bad. Other than making a few, possibly jealous, idiots feel good, throwing a homerun ball back onto the field accomplishes nothing else.

It is alright to keep a homerun ball NO MATTER WHO HITS IT! No true baseball fan will be mad at you or hate you because of it. It is a perfectly good and possibly valuable souvenir. KEEP IT!!!

If you throw a homerun ball back onto the field or urge someone else to do it, you're a weak, clueless, ignorant moron. Pure and simple.

*DITTO*
Btw, I got a kick out of how the woman non-chalantly got up to make the play on the ball, while the man next to her (assuming it was her husband) just watched.

CHEESESOXER
10-23-2005, 12:41 PM
In all the years I've gone to games, I've NEVER gotten a ball.

There is nobody bad-assed enough to harass me into giving it back if I got one.

Now, trading with a player for something would be a different story.

whitesoxwin
10-23-2005, 01:17 PM
"If you throw a homerun ball back onto the field or urge someone else to do it, you're a weak, clueless, ignorant moron. Pure and simple." quoting Frankfan4life

Looks like a classic definition of a CUB fan.

Hey, a World Series home run ball from either an opponent or a Sox player = a couple tickets for the next game (especially, if it was game 1, as it was last night) and a signed ball.

With the price we as fans pay to attend one of these once-in-a-lifetime (well, hopefully not, but today, it is) events, a little bit back to the average fan is O.K.

You can always give your tickets to another Sox fan...just one less Cub idiot in our park.

And believe me, there were a few of THEM there that I know!!

Vince
10-23-2005, 01:23 PM
My take is that throwing a home run ball back is just disrespectful. Hitting a home run is hard, and if an opponent does it, you just tip your cap and keep the ball (or trade it for game 2 tix ).

WSoxFanForever
10-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Yep. Lack of class by Cub fans (how shocking). I would love to keep a homerun ball myself, if I got one, but the parent in me would give it to a child. If a player wanted his ball back, I'd ask for tickets. If that wasn't possible, I'd ask for a baseball autographed by as many players as were willing. If NOTHING were possible, I'd still give back the ball..I couldn't withhold an important ball to a young man who worked hard to hit it.

Alanzo XXXVIII
10-23-2005, 04:16 PM
If NOTHING were possible, I'd still give back the ball..I couldn't withhold an important ball to a young man who worked hard to hit it.

Yea who gets paid millions. He could probably drop a couple thou to get you some tickets, methinks, if he really wanted the ball.

Patrick134
10-23-2005, 04:17 PM
I never got the idea of throwing the home run ball back. Players love their own memorabilia. Whether it's homer #100 of their career or #37, they'll gladly take it back and put it on their mantle. And throwing a fake ball back is just as lame. At least get creative and throw a dancing banana back, or jack mcdowell cd's.