PDA

View Full Version : and for tonight's National Anthem

ode to veeck
10-23-2005, 10:09 AM
one of Mrs Ode's mom's favorite old singers:

"I'm gonna sing circles around that douche bag from last night's anthem, then Mark's gonna lock up the Sox WS home field advantage for good!"

XplodingScorbord
10-23-2005, 10:26 AM
"I'm gonna sing circles around that douche bag from last night's anthem, then Mark's gonna lock up the Sox WS home field advantage for good!"

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

HITMEN OF 77
10-23-2005, 10:49 AM
"I was born in a city they call the Windy City" I love that line....

BeviBall!
10-23-2005, 10:52 AM
I couldn't have been less enthralled with Groban either... but to be there, watching that flag spread out over the outfield... it was pretty awesome.

Liz Phair was awe inspiring

Steelrod
10-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I couldn't have been less enthralled with Groban either... but to be there, watching that flag spread out over the outfield... it was pretty awesome.

Liz Phair was awe inspiring

It must be my age showing. Groban was fabulous, Phair sucked!

zach074
10-23-2005, 12:22 PM
IMHO Groban did a great job.

jabrch
10-23-2005, 12:26 PM
That flag was amazing!!!

Red Barchetta
10-23-2005, 12:30 PM

I agree. I never really paid too much attention to this guy and his career, however that rendition was great!

NonetheLoaiza
10-23-2005, 12:32 PM
I thought he did a very good job. I've never heard of him, but with the flag, circumstances, and crowd, I would not have traded that moment for anything.

Alanzo XXXVIII
10-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Is Lou Rawls here as a compensated endorser?

....Either you've seen it or you haven't....

irish rover
10-23-2005, 12:34 PM

I totally agree, I don't go for that screaming nonsense that seems to be all the rage now when attempting to sing

Chips
10-23-2005, 12:36 PM

I didn't like his rendition at all, I thought he sang too slow. I don't think the singers need to do their own renditiond, just sing the damn song. And take your hats off while the person is singing it.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-23-2005, 12:39 PM
I didn't like his rendition at all, I thought he sang too slow. I don't think the singers need to do their own renditiond, just sing the damn song. And take your hats off while the person is singing it.

Anybody over the age of 18 who don't remove their hats for the National Anthem should be audited by the IRS. Your face is on TV, show some pride.

CHEESESOXER
10-23-2005, 12:43 PM
I totally agree, I don't go for that screaming nonsense that seems to be all the rage now when attempting to sing

You're absolutely right.
Remember the clown from guns & roses or whatever who just screeched it?
That doesn't VEERR need to be allowed aghain.

This guy Groban sang it with great feeling and taste.

Listening to Liz Less-than-fair was like playing a tape too slow.

Bone
10-23-2005, 01:17 PM
I didn't expect much from either singer, but Josh did a very nice job. Maybe it was the military, the flag, the excitement of the World Series, but whatever it was, it was moving. I was surprised.

Liz Phair was uninspiring.

RedFoxSoxFan
10-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Lou Rawls rendition of St. James infirmary is awesome, im looking forward to hearing his anthem

CHEESESOXER
10-23-2005, 01:28 PM
It must be my age showing. Groban was fabulous, Phair sucked!

Just like the flubs who also suck & will never be more than just phair.:D:

SOXSINCE'70
10-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Yes he did,but,IMHO,"The Star Spangled Banner" is NOT a 2:45
single that should air on popular radio stations.That's what is sounded like to me.Whitney Houston did the same thing at the Super Bowl in 1991.
JUST SING THE SONG ACAPELLA (without instrument accompaniment)!!
I'm a musician who despises cheesy synth accompaniment
to a song Francis Scott Key allegedly wrote in a driniking
establishment.

SOXSINCE'70
10-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Lou Rawls rendition of St. James infirmary is awesome, im looking forward to hearing his anthem

Just trust your voice,Lou.You'll do great.

madge7mk
10-23-2005, 01:59 PM
I thought that both Grobhan (sp?) and Liz Phair were excellent. Neither of them tried to do too much of their own thing and both were in good taste, respectful.

Besides, I wasn't there to hear the songs, I was there to see a victory and did! I went home happy and am hoping for the same tonight. Go Sox!

Lip Man 1
10-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Lou Rawls...'this Bud's for you!' Rawls was the pitchman for Bud nationally for a number of years in the late 70's / early 80's. The man can sing.

Lip

mike squires
10-23-2005, 02:46 PM
I went out and listened to the anthem on the radio because I knew the TV would not do the fans' reaction in justice. I was surprised to heear the crowd roar through almost the entire thing. I just watched the tape replay and you can't hear the crowd until the end. If you are at home watching it on TV in the cicago area listen to it through your stereo or your car. You'll notice a huge difference.

DannyCaterFan
10-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Finally, It Hit Me! When the sailors unfurled that flag and Josh Groban sang the National Anthem last night, It finally sunk in that "we" were finally in the series. I waited 46 long years for this moment and until that moment as I stood in the upper deck, none of it had sunk in.I could not help it but these 53 year old eyes could hardly contain the tears waiting to be released. What a memory!
On a side note about Josh Groban, His song from the Polar Express "I Believe" is a perfect song for the Sox this season. All you need to do is replace the words "Christmas day" with "Opening day" and the Song is perfect for this Sox season. Check it out!:smile:

Frankfan4life
10-23-2005, 04:02 PM
They call it the windy city because of the hawk. The hawk! The almighty hawk...From Dead End Street by Lou Rawls.

StockdaleForVeep
10-23-2005, 04:07 PM
one of Mrs Ode's mom's favorite old singers:

I was hopin buddy guy would be given a chance, hell they had satriani do a game in san fran

Palehose13
10-23-2005, 04:14 PM
I thought that both Grobhan (sp?) and Liz Phair were excellent. Neither of them tried to do too much of their own thing and both were in good taste, respectful.

I htought both were great also, but you know Sox fans...they HAVE to bitch about something!:wink:

Dick Allen
10-23-2005, 04:22 PM
I thought Groban did a great job. By the way, some of you may remember that Lou Rawls sang the National Anthem before Game 3 of the 1983 ALCS.

kitekrazy
10-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Anybody over the age of 18 who don't remove their hats for the National Anthem should be audited by the IRS. Your face is on TV, show some pride.

What I think is worse is cheering the singer before it's over. It should not be treated as a performance to begin with.

spiffie
10-23-2005, 04:25 PM
I thought Groban was excellent, but the way the backing music was done, it made it sound kind of like it should be the centerpiece song in a Disney movie or something. But his voice was wonderful.

And Liz...well, people bought "Exile in Guyville" for the lyrics...

kitekrazy
10-23-2005, 04:29 PM
single that should air on popular radio stations.That's what is sounded like to me.Whitney Houston did the same thing at the Super Bowl in 1991.
establishment.

If you're a musician you probably also know the Star Spangled Banner is one of the worst composed pieces of music. Many years ago 60 Minutes had something about the Star Spangled Banner. There was a push to make America the Beautiful as the National Anthem.

kitekrazy
10-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Finally, It Hit Me! When the sailors unfurled that flag and Josh Groban sang the National Anthem last night, It finally sunk in that "we" were finally in the series. I waited 46 long years for this moment and until that moment as I stood in the upper deck, none of it had sunk in.I could not help it but these 53 year old eyes could hardly contain the tears waiting to be released. What a memory!

It seemed odd when there were college football games on and the weather was sinking into the 40's I was watching White Sox baseball.

That so called Chicago recording artist that sung God Bless America was worse than a 12 beer karaoke night performer. And tune those guitars before you play.

nasox
10-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Not that you should value my opinion over another, but I have perfect pitch, play many instruments, and love a lot of music, and Groban sang pretty well, even if he was an unknown. He sang the right notes at the right times and I like his arrangement. Phair on the other hand......sucked balls.

Frater Perdurabo
10-23-2005, 04:52 PM
On a somewhat related note, I hope MLB allows the Sox to do their standard player intros (to Thunderstruck, of course) as they take their positions tonight, instead of the default, boilerplate lining up along the baselines that MLB sensibly uses for the All-Star game before presenting the colors and singing the National Anthem.

One of the neatest things about the Bulls championships (besides the wins, of course), was to see and hear them take the court to their standard intros during NBA Finals home games and to see it televised live to a national audience along with the deafening roar of the home crowd.
"...From North Carolina, at guard, 6-6 MICHAEL JORDAN" sent the old Chicago Stadium/United Center crowd into a frenzy and tingled the spines of millions of TV viewers. People who weren't even Bulls fans thought the intros were awesome. Likewise, Gene Honda's player intros acompanied by Thunderstruck would send the home crowd to the moon and fire up those tuning in via TV or radio.

I understand the National Anthem, the colors and our armed forces deserve our utmost respect. But let's have the pious pomp and circumstance FIRST, and then let the home team introduce their players in the way they choose and in the way the home team's fans have come to expect. If MLB and FOX incessantly must micromanage every detail of the game presentation, what's the point of having home field advantage, anyway?

Frater Perdurabo
10-23-2005, 04:57 PM
And tune those guitars before you play.

I am not here to criticize or defend Liz Phair, and I may not have perfect pitch, and my wife reminds me that I'm not a musician, but I know enough from playing bass guitar for garage bands over the years to know that temperature, humidity and air pressure changes quickly can throw a guitar out of tune.

Also, in response to nasox's post, my wife and millions of other women would quibble with any characterization of Josh Groban as an "unknown." :wink:

Soxfanspcu11
10-23-2005, 05:00 PM
They didn't play THUNDERSTRUCK last nite?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Frater Perdurabo
10-23-2005, 05:05 PM

I'll put it this way. I didn't hear Thunderstruck on the FOX telecast of the game. Instead, the Sox players were introduced to Nancy playing the "Star Wars" theme song.

Just for the record, I do NOT have a problem with Nancy. In fact, her playing was excellent and really added so much to the game. I'm glad she had so many opportunties to play and am glad the Sox continue to integrate her more into the game presentation and are reducing the use of canned music. Sox fans are extremely blessed to have her as the organist for their team. I just wish we could have seen the players take their positions to Thunderstruck.

SoxFan76
10-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Groban was excellent. The musical accompanyment was a great touch.

Liz Phair? Poor girl. She was brutal. Further proof that you don't have to be able to sing to be a famous musician. At least rappers don't make an attempt to sing. They save themselves the embarassment.

Palehose13
10-23-2005, 05:17 PM

I thought they did when there was a commercial.

oldcomiskey
10-23-2005, 05:18 PM

oh, man what a great song

riskier77
10-23-2005, 05:23 PM
I heard that Josh Groban was a Sox fan. I enjoyed his performance. but heck, I would have enjoyed Roseanne doing the anthem because our team is in the World Series. The thought that we're in the World Series brings tears to my eyes when I think about it for more that 15 seconds.

Dennis De Young should have performed the National anthem, no matter what. He is a True Sox fan Always!

JorgeFabregas
10-23-2005, 05:45 PM
establishment.
I agree. That synth backing sounded cheezy and dated.

beckett21
10-23-2005, 05:50 PM
I'll put it this way. I didn't hear Thunderstruck on the FOX telecast of the game. Instead, the Sox players were introduced to Nancy playing the "Star Wars" theme song.

Just for the record, I do NOT have a problem with Nancy. In fact, her playing was excellent and really added so much to the game. I'm glad she had so many opportunties to play and am glad the Sox continue to integrate her more into the game presentation and are reducing the use of canned music. Sox fans are extremely blessed to have her as the organist for their team. I just wish we could have seen the players take their positions to Thunderstruck.

They played it at the stadium.

The_Floridian
10-23-2005, 05:56 PM
I've always thought the National Anthem sounded best when performed by a brass band. No singer. Just a big band hitting those notes and let the crowd sing it themselves. Much more moving to me than someone trying to inject new emotion into a song we've heard five million times.

Then again, my all-time favorite version of the Anthem is Jimi Hendrix's, so there you go.

I am looking forward to hearing Lou Rawls tonight, however. That man's voice is like buttah.

BeviBall!
10-23-2005, 07:43 PM
I thought that both Grobhan (sp?) and Liz Phair were excellent.

Mercy... you must have the worst stereo system in the world.

Saracen
10-23-2005, 08:05 PM
I thought Rawls was pretty bad tonight. It's "O'ER" man, not "O-VER". If you don't know the lyrics, don't sing the national anthem. :?:

goofymsfan
10-23-2005, 08:09 PM
I thought Rawls was pretty bad tonight. It's "O'ER" man, not "O-VER". If you don't know the lyrics, don't sing the national anthem. :?:

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one that didn't much care for the anthem tonight.

Clembasbal
10-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Like I mentioned in the "Gameday" Thread, I didn't care for the "Over the Land" thing. If you are going to sing the song you better know it, it is not a song you can do a 'cover' of. It is our national anthem, sing it right.

Now, let's play some baseball!

likeawarlord
10-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Like I mentioned in the "Gameday" Thread, I didn't care for the "Over the Land" thing. If you are going to sing the song you better know it, it is not a song you can do a 'cover' of. It is our national anthem, sing it right.

Now, let's play some baseball!

he sang "over" instead of "o'er?" has he ever HEARD the song before? inexcusable, what a CLOWN.

Brian26
10-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one that didn't much care for the anthem tonight.

He seemed to be taking a few liberties with the words. As he started to wind it up, I just knew he was going to do the "over" instead of "o're". He didn't disappoint.

Palehose13
10-23-2005, 08:38 PM
He seemed to be taking a few liberties with the words. As he started to wind it up, I just knew he was going to do the "over" instead of "o're". He didn't disappoint.

:?: I didn't think it was so good.

Brian26
10-23-2005, 09:03 PM
:?: I didn't think it was so good.

I guess I should have used teal there. I just meant that he did exactly what I figured he would do. I'm really not qualified to judge his singing...his voice sounded fine to me, but there's really no excuse not to know the words.

wdelaney72
10-24-2005, 09:25 AM
In defense of Liz Phair. She's not known for having a strong voice. People like her for her songwriting, mostly her lyrical content. She was about as good as to be expected. And yes, the weather conditions over the last two days will signifficantly impact an instruments (and singers) tonalit.

Groban falls into line with many other singers who are gifted with enormous talent, but sing REALLY crappy songs. I thought he was decent, but I'd rather have an A Cappella version. The biggest gripe people have had with Groban (and I fully agree) is that he has nothing to do with Chicago. He was chosen by Fox.

Frater Perdurabo
10-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Groban falls into line with many other singers who are gifted with enormous talent, but sing REALLY crappy songs. I thought he was decent, but I'd rather have an A Cappella version. The biggest gripe people have had with Groban (and I fully agree) is that he has nothing to do with Chicago. He was chosen by Fox.

Agreed on all counts.

STROSFAN
10-24-2005, 09:55 AM
i hope we have John Tesh or Yanni...hahahahh

mike squires
10-24-2005, 10:09 AM
I actually liked Rawls' and his version. How did the live crowd respond for those that were there?

Procol Harum
10-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Josh Groban--good job, the boy can sing however it was he got the gig.

Liz Phair--absolutely hideous--if lyrics are her strong suit, she should stick to readings in obscure Lincoln Park java joints.

Lou Rawls--adequate--he's lost his best chops. Whaddya want from a guy who was singing back-up for Sam Cooke 45 years ago??

Chris Botti--nicely done.