PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Patrol

bridgeportcopper
10-23-2005, 02:33 AM
Alright - did anyone go down there without tickets tonight and how did it go? Were there any released before the game like in the previous rounds? Were there scalpers out there and did they come down in price? Would you recommend going out there tomorrow in hopes of getting a reasonably priced ticket or is that dream over and am I to resign myself to the fact that I'll be watching this one at home? Somebody please give me answers.......and one more question, anyone got any extras they wanna get rid of?

kkappelk
10-23-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm interested in hearing some stories too. Hopefully someone can share something positive that will give people hope today that are going to the park without tickets.

downstairs
10-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I was there with tickets... but in lot G there were a handful of people actually tailgating without tickets. They didn't seem to stop anyone, but maybe that was because it was early.

I am positive no tickets are being released at game day... its the World Series... not gonna happen. Sox employees get all the extras.

I didn't see any scalpers at all... chances are they all got the Chicago Police beat down and moved out of there.

When we got back to the lot, the people we were hanging out with that didn't have tickets were gone... so I assume it didn't work out for them.

jabrch
10-23-2005, 10:51 AM
My kid brother went without tickets and bought row 5, in the section just to the CF side of the Sox bullpen for $750 each. So there are tickets to be had.

Pulaski
10-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Alright - did anyone go down there without tickets tonight and how did it go? Were there any released before the game like in the previous rounds? Were there scalpers out there and did they come down in price? Would you recommend going out there tomorrow in hopes of getting a reasonably priced ticket or is that dream over and am I to resign myself to the fact that I'll be watching this one at home? Somebody please give me answers.......and one more question, anyone got any extras they wanna get rid of?

We got to Lot G at 2:20 pm and the lot was almost a 1/4 of the way full. There was no check of our car and they didn't check to see if we all had tickets.

A couple of friends showed up without tickets and had no luck. They did say there were a few scalpers outside of First Base (32nd and Normal), but the price was to high for them. It was apparent as the first inning approached that the scalpers moved all their tickets because the park was packed and rocking.

Clembasbal
10-23-2005, 11:36 AM
If you had a parking pass you got in the parking lot.
If you didn't have one...you got in with tickets to the game.
If you didn't have either, you were not allowed in.

Hagan
10-23-2005, 11:38 AM
My one friend went down there without a ticket and ended up paying $750 for first row in the bleachers.

Pulaski
10-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Another friend just checked in and said at 6:45pm, there was a scalper outside of Jimbos. He had a stack of tickets about 1 inch think. He was selling for $1,000 a ticket. My friend told him good luck eating those tickets. Needless to say, my frend did not get in.

cheeses_h_rice
10-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Here is my experience from yesterday, if that's any guide.

I took the Green Line to 35th Street and started to make my way down 35th with a sign saying "Need 1 Ticket." I stood on 35th for 10 minutes while people got off the El and made their way to the park, and the only 'nibbles' I got were one of the hustlas telling me to go way down 35th Street near Normal to the hot dog stand there, because he knew someone was selling them there. I told the guy that police weren't going to allow me to walk down 35th but I took it under advisement.

Getting bolder, I decided to walk through the parking lot just north of the park, and I wasn't stopped by anyone. I walked through about half the lot and only got encouraging calls of "good luck" by tailgaters. NO ONE was selling. I ran into a couple more guys on Veeck Drive on my way up to Jimbo's, and they hadn't seen anyone selling either. But, we all started to get the sense that the "security bubble" thing was just a smokescreen, but it was working.

I walked by Jimbo's and around the entrance, and again, no one was selling. I went west on 33rd along the lots and ran into some guys tailgating who all didn't have tickets, and they hadn't seen anyone selling. I ran into 2 more guys who walked with me, looking for tickets. Then I saw more people parked on 35th Street and near Grandstand looking for tickets. By this point, my brother's group, who did have tickets, were going to be tailgating, and so I started to head over to their lot, south of the park. I carried my sign with me up to the entrance to the park, by police, and no one cared. I was able to walk through the lot just west of the park and wind my way south to the F lot. Just after I got in the F lot, I passed two guys who asked if I was buying or selling. I replied 'buying', and they asked me how much I wanted to pay. By this point, my $600 goal seemed completely unrealistic, so I said $800. These guys looked at each other, shrugged, and took an extra ticket out of their pocket. Section 534, row 6. I was in. It turns out one of their friends was stuck out of town and couldn't make it in, so I ended up sitting next to these guys when the game started. $800 was more than I wanted to pay, but I was almost behind home plate in the 6th row -- great seats. As I got to the tailgate party my brother was at, I quickly realized that I was the only person that anyone knew who even got so much as an offer.

Anyway, my suggestions are: try to buy a ticket beforehand. It seemed that any large-scale ticket selling would be busted by police, since there were so many of them around. Secondly, try the lots, but don't expect any luck. Thirdly, the security bubble has no teeth -- you can completely walk around unfettered, tailgate, take pictures, etc. At least that's the way it was for Game 1.

Kevin
10-23-2005, 01:24 PM
My friend who went down there with me spent the game in the police station because of fake tickets. So watch out.

cheeses_h_rice
10-23-2005, 01:35 PM
My friend who went down there with me spent the game in the police station because of fake tickets. So watch out.

What happened? Was he selling fakes, or did he buy one?

SouthSide_HitMen
10-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Glad you got in Cheeses. A word of advise - depending on the time remaining before the game try to negotiate as best as possible.

Make them give you a price and negotiate down from there. Th guy with an inch stack of tickets will come down at some point. A fan with an extra will definitely want to get inside before the game so he wants his money back and then anything on top would be gravy. A scalper will stick it out into the first few innings but if it is appearant he will eat many tickets without lowering the price he will drop the price. At the ALCS - real scalpers (not fans or people with an extra) were selling for face or less over 1 1/2 hours before the game.

The key is to always be able to walk away. I know it is tough to do when a World Series ticket is at hand but wait it out and most times the other guy will blink first.

cheeses_h_rice
10-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Glad you got in Cheeses. A word of advise - depending on the time remaining before the game try to negotiate as best as possible.

Make them give you a price and negotiate down from there. Th guy with an inch stack of tickets will come down at some point. A fan with an extra will definitely want to get inside before the game so he wants his money back and then anything on top would be gravy. A scalper will stick it out into the first few innings but if it is appearant he will eat many tickets without lowering the price he will drop the price. At the ALCS - real scalpers (not fans or people with an extra) were selling for face or less over 1 1/2 hours before the game.

The key is to always be able to walk away. I know it is tough to do when a World Series ticket is at hand but wait it out and most times the other guy will blink first.

SSHM, to me it was worth the extra $200 for a guarantee of getting in, being able to spend 2 hours tailgating, not worrying about meeting up with another friend to go to a bar afterward. Plus, as I said, I saw NO ticket selling going on anywhere and plenty of buyers, so I knew that even as gametime approached, it might have been hard to even make a deal. Some people in our tailgating group "had a line" on some tickets with a broker downtown, and decided to play chicken, waiting for the price to come down as the game approached, and by 5:45 the broker had already sold these. So they ended up watching in a bar.

ZachAL
10-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Saw tons of people looking for tix last night, none selling though. Just watch out, a friend who sits buy me at the games told me that outside the park he randomly saw a guy he knows who was going nuts and out of control. He asked the guy what was wrong, turns out he paid $640 each for 2 tix (not a bad price at first) but tried to get in the game and they were fakes. So down $1280 he had to go home and watch the game. Unfortunately this probably happened to more than just him, so watch out and be careful if you go.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-23-2005, 01:54 PM
SSHM, to me it was worth the extra $200 for a guarantee of getting in, being able to spend 2 hours tailgating, not worrying about meeting up with another friend to go to a bar afterward. Plus, as I said, I saw NO ticket selling going on anywhere and plenty of buyers, so I knew that even as gametime approached, it might have been hard to even make a deal. Some people in our tailgating group "had a line" on some tickets with a broker downtown, and decided to play chicken, waiting for the price to come down as the game approached, and by 5:45 the broker had already sold these. So they ended up watching in a bar.

I wasn't criticizing your purchase - you had a very good seat (2nd row) and $800 sounded like a fair price. If my post came off like that I do apologize. My post was more of general advice - especially with the brokers. The World Series is a once in a lifetime (well hopefully not but in my lifetime it is) event and for people who can afford it great. I was trying to help out people who go down today looking for tickets.

Anyway that was my angle - Glad you were able to get in and I hope people going down there tonight are able to get in as well.

Also - People buy the real tickets - not those print at home ones. There have been many reports of duplicates sold. They also counterfeit tickets which look like they are legit on ticketmaster paper. Examine everything carefully and do not be rushed. If they are trying to rush you and prevent you from looking at the ticket chances are it may be fake and they are scamming you.

I was an Andy Frain usher and we saw fake tickets even for regular games so be vigilant.

cheeses_h_rice
10-23-2005, 01:56 PM
I wasn't criticizing your purchase - you had a very good seat (2nd row) and $800 sounded like a fair price. If my post came off like that I do appologize. My post was more of general advice - especially with the brokers. The World Series is a once in a lifetime (well hopefully not but in my lifetime it is) event and for people who can afford it great. I was trying to help out people who go down today looking for tickets.

Anyway that was my angle - Glad you were able to get in and I hope people going down there tonight are able to get in as well.

I know. No offense taken. Still debating about whether to try again or not...

:thumbsup:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-23-2005, 02:02 PM
I know. No offense taken. Still debating about whether to try again or not...

:thumbsup:

:cool: - If my White Sox rep didn't call me at 8:30 pm Thursday telling me my order was in I would be down there trying to get in myself.

I bought tickets for the ALDS / ALCS and did a pretty good job negotiating the prices but with the World Series the only thing which possibly would limit me would be a hard decision of cost by bringing my highest limit with me and hoping no ATMs were nearby. :D:

Anyway if you are going down tonight good luck. The security bubble was more hype mainly to scare people from trying to go down there without a ticket and it seems the hype worked well for Game 1. It was still very crowded and there was more than double the police and security there then for the ALCS so be careful and everyone PLEASE review the tickets very closely. Go to eBay and look for ticket scans before you go out there to know what tickets look like which were printed at the Box office and Season Ticket strips.

Go White Sox!!!

Half Cocked Jack
10-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Story I heard from some rich ******* in the stands:

H was walking around with a friend of his looking for tickets until the 4th inning, got two tickets for $400 each. Not sure where he was sitting, somewhere in the lower deck. Said he couldnt find ANYBODY until that one guy, who was near the red line stop.

cheeses_h_rice
10-23-2005, 02:14 PM
For those looking to buy tonight, here's what the season ticket holder tickets look like for the WS games:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6460/tix8tq.jpg

nasox
10-23-2005, 02:33 PM
I believe I was the best prepared as far as a plan is concerned to get a ticket at the park. I felt that Here is the deal:

All the market required was a little patience. I got to the park at 2:45, laughed at the security bubble which they didn't really enforce until 5:30, stood with a "I need Tickets sign" by Gate 3 right on 35th St. (maybe you saw me) Some guy got a face value ticket right next to me at five, but the prices were about 800 a ticket until 5:00. At 5:45, I picked up a ticket for $250 and the guy offered to walk me in the park and then I would pay him so I would not get hosed. The ticket was 225 for the upper deck and for 25 more he used his tickets to stub me down into the 100 level. I stood for the whole game at different levels.

All I had to do was keep my finger in the air by the "Diamond Suites Entrance" or whatever privaledged entrence that is to.

Tonight will be even better, in that it is going to rain and be cold and that will keep ticketless away. BTW, the security bubble was only a smokescreen, it wasn't ever effectively enforced. BUT, beware, this can change tonight, although I don't see why because everything went smoothely.

I only had one problem, in that the guy wouldn't let me keep the stub. He said, fifty bucks for the stub, and I didn't want to argue, as I was in the park. The stub would have not done me any good as it was for the 500 level and I was in the 100 level. Effectively, I had a SRO ticket.

Ticket prices dropped the closer it got to game time, and if you keep the faith, warmth, and optimism, you can get lucky.

Good tickets are availible for those willing to wait until an hour before the game starts. Prices drop drastically then.

BUT, buyer beware. I saw a guy spend $450 and get hosed with a fake ticket. Fakes were out there, and this one looked pretty good, although I noticed the color was a little bit off. I feel bad for him. The guy who sold him the ticket looked sketchy, in that he walked him to the back of the parking lot to sell it to him. I felt really bad for him.

I would not buy a ticket without having the seller walk with you into the park first and then you pay him after it works.

$250 ticket, $15 program $2.50 churros, $1.75 El ticket $10 WS mini-bat and a $2.50 piece of pizza from Freddies, all well worth it

If you don't have a ticket be smart, you might be able to get one.

Good luck, and don't be stupid.

And maybe you'll be lucky like me and get on TV (I was on FOX right after we won the game)

Kevin
10-23-2005, 02:36 PM
What happened? Was he selling fakes, or did he buy one?

He bought them for $300, he had to go to the police station but apparently other guys had used them too. Luckily, they caught the guy and the buyers were let go.

StockdaleForVeep
10-23-2005, 03:09 PM
I was there with tickets... but in lot G there were a handful of people actually tailgating without tickets. They didn't seem to stop anyone, but maybe that was because it was early.

I am positive no tickets are being released at game day... its the World Series... not gonna happen. Sox employees get all the extras.

I didn't see any scalpers at all... chances are they all got the Chicago Police beat down and moved out of there.

When we got back to the lot, the people we were hanging out with that didn't have tickets were gone... so I assume it didn't work out for them.

How were they tailgatin with no tickets, i was under the impression u were not allowed in the area unless you had a ticket or proof of livin there

Brian26
10-23-2005, 03:14 PM
I wasn't criticizing your purchase - you had a very good seat (2nd row) and $800 sounded like a fair price. If my post came off like that I do apologize.

I think you gave Cheeses good advice. I'd probably suggest to anyone that they always make the seller quote a price first. You never know...they might quote a price LOWER than what you are willing to pay. If they quote higher than what you are willing to pay, you can always negotiate down.

nasox
10-23-2005, 03:42 PM
How were they tailgatin with no tickets, i was under the impression u were not allowed in the area unless you had a ticket or proof of livin there

That security bubble **** was so lax, it wasn't enforced until an hour before gametime. They had bigger fish to fry.

Soxfanspcu11
10-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Yeah the "security bubble" was lame, we walked right through without a problem about 2 hours or so before game time.