PDA

View Full Version : DC Sox Fan Report

SoxFan64
10-23-2005, 01:25 AM
WSIers,

We had an amazing gathering at Buffalo Billiard in Dupont Circle in the heart of DC. Perfect location for Virginians, Marylanders and Washingtonians.

We had several regular WSLers there. I got to meet Hokie Sox (and Mrs), asindc, tempe (who I can also sign ASL with), vafan, chitown69, the racehorse, FJA, SoxFan26 (and Mrs.), Cabiness (from the Sox board), Vafan, Number 9, Gil1957, Mr and Mrs mrmalaprp, and NDSox12 and his sis. I think I am missing about a half a dozen others. Sorry about that but it was one heck of a gathering.

I think we ran into about a dozen Sox fans that were just there and they joined us and should be joining WSI real soon -- sorry Daver for the work.

But boy what a night. I felt as if I was in USCF.

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

soxfan26
10-23-2005, 01:28 AM
We had an amazing gathering at Buffalo Billiard in Dupont Circle in the heart of DC.

Now that was a good time. I haven't had that much fun watching a Sox game in years. It was great meeting everyone and I hope the Mrs. and I make it back out for another game.

GO SOX!!!

vafan
10-23-2005, 12:02 PM
And of course our beloved White Sox made sure a good time was had by all! What a ball game. These are the highlights I remember.

Joe Crede spearing hot smash after hot smash, snuffing Astro rallies.
Joe Crede smoking an 0-2 fastball over the left-center wall for the winning run.
Neal Cotts fanning Ensberg and Lamb with the tying run at 3rd in the 8th.
Bobby Jenks - the big wide kid - blowing away Jeff Bagwell in the 8th with 100 mph gas and everyone in the 9th.
Jermaine Dye getting it all started on a 9-pitch opposite field HR to dent the Rocket's armor.
Scott Podsednik sending the Rocket to an early shower with a 12-pitch strikeout in the second (the second best strike out in the postseason - behind AJs, of course.)
Jose Contreras pitching out of jams caused by Willy Taveras's lead off double in the 6th and two hit batsmen in the 7th.
Aaron Rowand executing a hit and run perfectly in the second, sending Carl Everett to third.
Everett scoring one batter later after Mike Lamb failed to really hold him at third on a hot grounder to first by AJ.
Juan Uribe and Scott Podsednik hitting two-out extra-base hits in the second and eighth to add important runs.
AJ stealing second in the 8th - his second steal of the postseason after no steals during the year.
AJ stepping out against Clemens in the second just to mess with him. His grounder would score Everett from third.
Singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame with a group of dedicated Sox fans. Singing the Na Na, Hey Hey chant with the same group at the end of a Sox win.
Ozzie Guillen's signs from the dugout, and the way he called for Jenks from the pen.
Seeing everyone who contributed this year - from Herm Schneider to Frank Thomas, to Joe Borchard - lined up along 3rd base for the introductions.
Seeing a packed house at the Cell go hog-wild for our Sox.
Watching the White Sox win Game 1 of the 2005 World Series.
Thanks Soxfan64 for getting us together.

GO SOX!!

Hokiesox
10-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Take me out to the ballgame was definitely the highlight for the bar scene.

That guy's shirt read

"I am a
South Side Chicago
Irish Catholic
Democrat
White Sox Fan"

Classic...

The biggest highlight, of course, was sharing a game one world series win with all the Sox fans. I know sf26 and I were both saying (FJA too?) that we didn't know there were this many Sox fans in the area! Unfortunately, I can't make it back unless there's a game 6. And here's :gulp: to hoping there won't be, but it was fun.

FJA
10-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Great time ... not quite sure what my plans are for tonight or during the week, but if I go out to watch the game, that's where I'll be. Nice to know there are so many other Sox fans around.

We will definitely have to try and reconvene at Buffalo Billiards if there is a potential clincher.:smile:

SoxFan64
10-23-2005, 03:01 PM
That guy's shirt read: "I am a South Side Chicago Irish Catholic Democrat White Sox Fan" ... Classic...

It is my new all-time favorite Sox t-shirt. Although I grew up in the NW subrubs, most folks thought my Dad grew up as South Side Irish (he -- and I -- only wished).

I will be back for any potential clincher. But I doubt I will make it down tonight. If I don't make it to Buffalo's then I will make it into the WSI chat room though. Hope to see you all soon.

FJA give us a report on game #2 from Buffalo's.

SoxFan64
10-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame with a group of dedicated Sox fans. Singing the Na Na, Hey Hey chant with the same group at the end of a Sox win.
Ozzie Guillen's signs from the dugout, and the way he called for Jenks from the pen.
Thanks Soxfan64 for getting us together.

GO SOX!!

vafan, I loved signing with all 50 of us, including about 20 WSIers. Ozzie's signal for Jenks was priceless.

As for putting it together I just suggested a central place. Like Hokie Sox, I never knew that there were that many of us in the DC area.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

FJA
10-23-2005, 03:33 PM
FJA give us a report on game #2 from Buffalo's.

If I make it there, will do. I'm working on a paper for class right now, and it might depend on how far I get. The flurry of Series stories on the Internet has had me pretty distracted all day so far. I might just put John and Ed on my computer speakers and try to get some work done.

If I don't make it, hope others manage to maintain a presence at the official DC Sox hangout. Have one for me! :gulp:

Tempe
10-23-2005, 07:23 PM
I am still recovering from the long drive back. I was sooooo tired after working a full shift plus driving about 3 hours round trip to DC. I only made one bad turn when I arrived to 19th Street, and I pretty much made it home in one piece before immediately crashing at home.

I had a total blast. I met some really great people! I regret that I am in no condition to drive out again tonight. I assure you that once they win their third game I will be out there for a hopeful clincher!!!

Too bad I could not hear the TV! It was so LOUD in there!!! The concrete walls and the glass "garage" door made it a mini Chicago Stadium! One of my favorite moments was when I ordered my first beer. The one bartender saw me coming. She asked what was going on in our room. I explained we were all a bunch of displaced White Sox fans that all managed to meet from a message forum and get together and watch our beloved Pale Hose in the comfort of each other. Man it sucks watching these games at home. Even though I am at home anticipating Game 2, you guys helped me enjoy the game so much that I might make it a couple more games until we party again!

:bandance: GO-G0 WHITE SOX!!! :bandance:

Jimmy

Hokiesox
10-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Maybe we could turn this into a full on 2nd or 3rd Friday/Saturday of each month gathering? Just to thrown a few cold ones back and shoot the **** every now and then? Definitely for regular season games next season. It's so boring to watch the mundane regular season games with nobody 'cept your dog or cat. And even they don't care!

Just an idea...

FJA
10-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Maybe we could turn this into a full on 2nd or 3rd Friday/Saturday of each month gathering? Just to thrown a few cold ones back and shoot the **** every now and then? Definitely for regular season games next season. It's so boring to watch the mundane regular season games with nobody 'cept your dog or cat. And even they don't care!

Just an idea...

Sounds like a great idea!

NDSox12
10-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Sounds like a great idea!

I agree... that does sound like a great idea.

As for this week, I will definitely try to make it to Buffalo Billiards if Wednesday or Thursday are potential clinchers. I will be out of town next weekend though.

Its a bit of a hike for me to make it into the city on a weeknight, so I think I'm going to Bailey's at the Ballston Mall in Arlington for the game on Tuesday night. But like I said, I'll be at BBs for a potential clincher.

Hokiesox
10-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Yeah, and in fact...I can't make it for ANY weeknight games, ever. I'm usually at work until 8-9 PM.

samram
10-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Take me out to the ballgame was definitely the highlight for the bar scene.

That guy's shirt read

"I am a
South Side Chicago
Irish Catholic
Democrat
White Sox Fan"

Classic...

The biggest highlight, of course, was sharing a game one world series win with all the Sox fans. I know sf26 and I were both saying (FJA too?) that we didn't know there were this many Sox fans in the area! Unfortunately, I can't make it back unless there's a game 6. And here's :gulp: to hoping there won't be, but it was fun.

There's a story on Yahoo! right now about Sox fans in DC. One of the fans mentioned, one Arnold Fege, meets that description on that T-shirt. I won't post the link because there's some political content there, but the main focus is on Sox fans.

Tempe
10-24-2005, 01:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Tempe/2005_White_Sox/Photo_43.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Tempe/2005_White_Sox/Photo_44.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Tempe/2005_White_Sox/Photo_45.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Tempe/2005_White_Sox/Photo_46.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Tempe/2005_White_Sox/Photo_47.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Tempe/2005_White_Sox/Photo_48.jpg

Hellz bells my Sidekick's camera sux for low-light... even with the flash. Sorry. This is from October 22, 2005 - Game 1 :)

Tempe

Glebe
10-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Is this on again for Game 3?

SoxFan64
10-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Is this on again for Game 3?

Glebe, I think with so many of us coming from outside of DC that we will NOT have anywhere near that many Sox fans at Buffalo's (formerly Chicago's) for game #3.

But there are a few Sox fans that will show up at Buffalo's for game #3. (I remember you saying that you could not make it the weekend games.)

I will mostly likely be in downtown Silver Spring for the games with a few other Sox fans. If you live out that way we could hook up.

I will show up at Buffalo's for any potential clinching game.

I hope that helps.

Glebe
10-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info!

Anyone going to be out there, even if it's not an organized thing? I may end up going regardless since it seems like a decent place to watch the game, even if I (and whoever I can drag along) are the only Sox fans

Tonight is also apparently the annual pre-Halloween drag queen race in Dupont. Extra entertainment!

Hokiesox
10-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info!

Anyone going to be out there, even if it's not an organized thing? I may end up going regardless since it seems like a decent place to watch the game, even if I (and whoever I can drag along) are the only Sox fans

Tonight is also apparently the annual pre-Halloween drag queen race in Dupont. Extra entertainment!

I've been to that drag race. It's high comedy, for sure, but arrive early. I've seen it get pretty crowded. Though, with the wonderful weather we're having, it may not be crowded.

--10 more to 1,500 posts!

mjharrison72
10-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Well, glad to hear you guys had such a great time... I just moved from DC to Chicago in June... just in time to see about a dozen games and two postseason games, so I don't regret it, but hearing about this gathering does make me miss the District.

Enjoy Game 3!
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

SoxFan64
10-25-2005, 12:22 PM

Ah the drag races... I always thought this was a weekly (or at least monthly) event.

But I doubt that will get me into DC.

FJA
10-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Don't think I'll be able to make either the drag race or Buffalo Billiards tonight. Hope a few people manage to make it and are able to keep up the visibility! (At Buffalo Billiards, of course) :gulp:

Glebe
10-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Oh well, I guess I'll trek back home to Annapolis after work then. Hope to meet you all at a possible clincher, though!

SoxFan64
10-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Oh well, I guess I'll trek back home to Annapolis after work then. Hope to meet you all at a possible clincher, though!

If you want to trek halfway into to DC, then stop off in downtown Silver Spring. I will be there tonight. Either at Galaxy Billiards in the new revitalized downtown part of Silver Spring (Colesville Rd -- Rt. 29 -- & Georgia Ave -- Rt. 97).

My fellow Sox friend likes to go to the Holiday Inn in downtown Silver Spring because he can hear the game and the food is better. The Holiday Inn is on Georgia Ave about two blocks north of the Metro.

But I will definitely be at Buffalo's for any clincher.

:gulp::gulp::gulp: