PDA

View Full Version : The opening bit on Fox.

Iguana775
10-22-2005, 07:35 PM
****ing sickening.

They had some dude dressed up like Shoeless talking about a curse.

then they had some crap on Disco Demo and the exploding score board.

and at the end the Joe actor says...."curses are to be reversed..." or some **** like that.

I dont usually bitch about stuff like this but this was freaking pathetic.

SkeetSkeetAmit
10-22-2005, 07:41 PM
yeah i know, what a piece of crap. no ammount of hack acting can make up for fox's "the white sox have a CRAZY history, and they're cursed!" angle.

PaulDrake
10-22-2005, 07:41 PM
I agree, it was vapid, insipid, mindless and it made me just a tad peeved. Still, I'm not going to post that angry emticon. The Sox are getting to play a World Series game in Chicago and I can hardly wait.

TheOldRoman
10-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes, I saw it. This tag is cliche, but if there ever was a situation for it, this is it:

<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

It was disgusting, but as I said before, Fox will run with the "curse" angle. They feel that the Sox and the Astros isn't a ratings grabber, so they want to create a national following, seeing as millions of mindless stooges think it is aborable to lose and create curses to explain futility.

SoxFan76
10-22-2005, 07:43 PM
They need to appeal to the masses. They need to give the people in New England a reason to watch. They need a reason for the people in Seattle to watch. It's business.

veeter
10-22-2005, 07:46 PM
They need to appeal to the masses. They need to give the people in New England a reason to watch. They need a reason for the people in Seattle to watch. It's business.Exactly. Luckily I didn't watch the dumb thing but even Fox can't ruin my night.

RadioheadRocks
10-22-2005, 07:48 PM
They need to appeal to the masses. They need to give the people in New England a reason to watch. They need a reason for the people in Seattle to watch. It's business.

If Seattle and New England need that crap as a reason to watch, they're a pretty sorry lot indeed.

The_Floridian
10-22-2005, 11:34 PM
You know, the upside of all this is that if FOX decides they aren't getting the ratings they want, they might pass on keeping the World Series once the current contract expires.

Think about it...no more Buck and McCarver...

Ah...what winning game 1 will do to your mood...

soxfan1965
10-22-2005, 11:42 PM
It is difficult for me to watch Corey McFerrin on the White Sox pre-game and post-game. I would rather turn the channel and watch Bill Melton on Comcast. Corey acted like a maniac after the Sox won the pennant, butting in and pushing away Howard Sudberry of WBBM and other network broadcasters for an interview--very rude. I grant him a free pass this time because he is a die-hard Sox fan. Maybe that's me, but I would enjoy Bruce Wolf a lot more, if the Sox are fortunate enough to get into the post season next year. He means well but I just don't enjoy his style or on-air personality. I think Fox should make him a #2 man, but it seems that he is #1 man because he is extremely aggressive but isn't the best man for the #1 job.

TornLabrum
10-22-2005, 11:56 PM
If Seattle and New England need that crap as a reason to watch, they're a pretty sorry lot indeed.

Just remember, just a few hundred years ago in New England, they were still burning witches. They ARE a pretty sorry lot.

SoxFanSince67
10-23-2005, 12:00 AM
I refused to watch...knowing it was going to be ridiculous...disappointed they didn't show L.Aparicio thrrowing out the first pitch..

Eric Bartman, today's top dope
10-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Tell 'em:

"We don't have a curse, we have a JENKS!"

MrRoboto83
10-23-2005, 12:29 AM
It is difficult for me to watch Corey McFerrin on the White Sox pre-game and post-game. I would rather turn the channel and watch Bill Melton on Comcast. Corey acted like a maniac after the Sox won the pennant, butting in and pushing away Howard Sudberry of WBBM and other network broadcasters for an interview--very rude. I grant him a free pass this time because he is a die-hard Sox fan. Maybe that's me, but I would enjoy Bruce Wolf a lot more, if the Sox are fortunate enough to get into the post season next year. He means well but I just don't enjoy his style or on-air personality. I think Fox should make him a #2 man, but it seems that he is #1 man because he is extremely aggressive but isn't the best man for the #1 job.
The way Corey talks, it is like he is trying to be too much of a broadcaster.

C-Dawg
10-23-2005, 12:35 AM
...disappointed they didn't show L.Aparicio thrrowing out the first pitch..

Yea I was disappointed too. Must've been during the commercials.

If it was the Red Sox in the WS and Carl Yastremski threw out the first pitch, I bet they would have shown it.

SoxEd
10-23-2005, 12:37 AM
****ing sickening.

They had some dude dressed up like Shoeless talking about a curse.

then they had some crap on Disco Demo and the exploding score board.

and at the end the Joe actor says...."curses are to be reversed..." or some **** like that.

I dont usually bitch about stuff like this but this was freaking pathetic.

Thankfully, British TV didn't carry all that, but went with an explanation of how each team got here, and then between innings when y'all were watching adverts (or not) went with some vox-pops & interviews they'd done around Comiskey earlier in the day.

One of the questions they asked fans was "should Cubs fans be allowed to root for the Sox". They had 'varied' responses to that one. :D:

Also, our studio presenters always do the WS in the full Black Tie/tuxedo get up, which always amuses me - probably the Sleep Deprivation I guess.

BRDSR
10-23-2005, 12:39 AM
The worst part about the pregame montage wasn't their talk about a curse(thats bad, but they gotta do what they gotta do.) It was their portrayal of Bill Veeck. They made him look like some sleezy schmuck who didn't know crap about baseball but just wanted to give the fans something, anything to watch other than baseball. That was very lame in my opinion. Talk about a curse doesn't rag on anyone in particular, but their portrayal of Veeck was basically an insult to him and the White Sox organization. Thumbs down to the Fox production crew if I were calling MJH.

FarWestChicago
10-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Also, our studio presenters always do the WS in the full Black Tie/tuxedo get up, which always amuses me - probably the Sleep Deprivation I guess.Fitting attire for showing a bunch of guys adjusting their cups and spitting. :D:

TornLabrum
10-23-2005, 01:13 AM
The Curse BS became the topic of this week's "Fallen Arches," coming soon to a front page near you.

Alanzo XXXVIII
10-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Christ, it wasn't that bad. In fact, I found most of it humorous. While I don't think the Sox have a curse AT ALL, I can deal with a BUSINESS (FOX) trying to promote a product (our Sox).

You people act like it's a RIGHT to have our White Sox on TV. This is business, I'm sorry.

batmanZoSo
10-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Coming next week in the Clubhouse:

Aw, the goldarn World Series trophy has a dent in it! :angry:

antitwins13
10-23-2005, 01:24 AM
I was at the Brickhouse during the montage, but it looked like they were making fun of Veek which ticked me off.

SOXintheBURGH
10-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Even when the Sox win a WORLD SERIES GAME you people find something to complain about.

You know what I was thinking when I saw that?

"Guess I'll go get something to eat 'til the game starts."

Banix12
10-23-2005, 01:32 AM
Thankfully, British TV didn't carry all that, but went with an explanation of how each team got here, and then between innings when y'all were watching adverts (or not) went with some vox-pops & interviews they'd done around Comiskey earlier in the day.

One of the questions they asked fans was "should Cubs fans be allowed to root for the Sox". They had 'varied' responses to that one. :D:

Also, our studio presenters always do the WS in the full Black Tie/tuxedo get up, which always amuses me - probably the Sleep Deprivation I guess.

Man, I remember the british coverage when i lived there during the 2000 series. So much more straightforward and less irritating.

I agree BRDSR, I was most irritated by the Veeck thing. Though I was also really irritated by the high school theatre level acting ability of the actors.

TornLabrum
10-23-2005, 01:37 AM
What I don't like about the curse nonsense, and it's the only thing that really bugs me, is that it gives the world the impression that Sox fans actually believe that sort of BS. Of course it beats saying on an MLB sponsored telecast that the real truth is that for most of the past 86 years, Sox management has basically sucked.

Frankfan4life
10-23-2005, 01:53 AM
Did anybody see the teeth on that guy who was supposed to be portraying Bill Veeck? This guy had the worst crooked, yellow teeth I've ever seen in my life and they kept a close up on his mouth. Yuck!

I was like, Fox, what are you trying to do, make me sick?

http://images.picsearch.com/is?9681322244714
http://comedycollege.publicradio.org/archive/radner_gilda.shtml

Banix12
10-23-2005, 02:55 AM
Did anybody see the teeth on that guy who was supposed to be portraying Bill Veeck? This guy had the worst crooked, yellow teeth I've ever seen in my life and they kept a close up on his mouth. Yuck!

I was like, Fox, what are you trying to do, make me sick?

http://images.picsearch.com/is?9681322244714
http://comedycollege.publicradio.org/archive/radner_gilda.shtml

yeah, and he was about 100 pounds too heavy to portray him.

StockdaleForVeep
10-23-2005, 03:12 AM
What was the curse for florida in the world series: Curse of the Tuna Net or the curse of communism?

Banix12
10-23-2005, 03:37 AM
What was the curse for florida in the world series: Curse of the Tuna Net or the curse of communism?

Don't joke, if they had gone like ten years in a row of lousy baseball after that 97 series I bet you would heard a "Curse of Wayne Huizenga"

Though I sense a new thread here. "Make up a curse for a Major League team"

Pirates: Curse of Derrick Bell "The pirates will be in Operation Slowdown for eternity!"

credefan24
10-23-2005, 03:37 AM
I refused to watch...knowing it was going to be ridiculous...disappointed they didn't show L.Aparicio thrrowing out the first pitch..

My dad was steamed about that all night!! How could they not show Little Louie, but show a commercial for "Prison Break" instead?

Banix12
10-23-2005, 03:43 AM
My dad was steamed about that all night!! How could they not show Little Louie, but show a commercial for "Prison Break" instead?

Ugh, don't remind me of Prison Break. I have nothing against the show other than I never want to hear about it again but once again FOX crams Sound Effects for advertizing during the game with those little Prison Break readers. Damn escape siren, driving me nuts. Sounded like it was driving Buck crazy too.

lostletters
10-23-2005, 03:54 AM
The worst part about the pregame montage wasn't their talk about a curse(thats bad, but they gotta do what they gotta do.) It was their portrayal of Bill Veeck. They made him look like some sleezy schmuck who didn't know crap about baseball but just wanted to give the fans something, anything to watch other than baseball. That was very lame in my opinion. Talk about a curse doesn't rag on anyone in particular, but their portrayal of Veeck was basically an insult to him and the White Sox organization. Thumbs down to the Fox production crew if I were calling MJH.

The Veeck part was the worst part. People forget almost everything about modern baseball has Veecks fingerprints on it, from the extended playoff schedule with a wildcard to interleague play, thse were ALL his ideas originally, and it took Selig and the strike for baseball to come around. It is often forgotten he is the one who planted the ivy at wrigley and put names on uniforms. Two things he often does not get credit for.

He was a bit of an oddball, but he wanted baseball to have more fan appeal. Baseball is better because of Veecks contributions. To disgrace him with that opening montage is a shame. He is one of the few men that never played the game that contributed significantly to the game.

The shoeless joe part was a bit lame, but the Veeck thing really upset me.

Though there is one thing that is right about that opening bit, there is an element of redemption in this white sox team. But it is redemption of Jerry's part for all the mistakes he has made, giving us a team white sox fans always wanted.

Nellie_Fox
10-23-2005, 04:08 AM
Just remember, just a few hundred years ago in New England, they were still burning witches. They ARE a pretty sorry lot.Give them a break. It is highly probable that they were tripping on ergot fungus (LSD) and knew not what they were doing.

awesomefan
10-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Iguana775....The Shoeless Joe & Bill Veck bit by FOX sucked to high heaven. I could hardly believe what I was seeing.:o:

And now I know why I missed Aparicio throwing out the 1st pitch....Fox didn't show it....HORRIBLE.:angry:

But I didn't even see the 1st pitch thing on Comcast Sports Net either. Don't tell me they didn't show it either.

The whole pre-game & ceremonies stunk along with both the lame singers. The girl singer was off key & even more painful to listen to than the S-L-O-W dull singing Josh Groban.

The only good thang was that the White Sox won in awesome fashion.:D:

Joe Cool at the Hot Corner, Awesome Pitchin', Great Homeruns, Timely Hittin' that produced a White Sox Winner made it wonderful in the end.:tongue:

Your picture of Bobby Jenks & his quote is awesome & oh so COOL.:cool:

Nellie_Fox
10-23-2005, 04:27 AM
The girl singer was off key & even more painful to listen to than the S-L-O-W dull singing Josh Groban.At least Groban can sing. Liz Phair was more than awful.

HotelWhiteSox
10-23-2005, 04:30 AM
Coming next week in the Clubhouse:

Aw, the goldarn World Series trophy has a dent in it! :angry:

It was bad enough that I was left off the Tshirt

shaunomac
10-23-2005, 04:55 AM
I wish they would have showed more of old Comiskey.

But it is about the current team.

But the FOX bit was a bit weird. To see them dragging the old 1919 BS and making Veeck look like some buffoon was sad as well.

At least we got to see Andy the Clown though, that was great. Where was the old guy who played the drums walking around the lower grandstands???

Shaun

woodenleg
10-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Just remember, just a few hundred years ago in New England, they were still burning witches. They ARE a pretty sorry lot.

Ha, they're probably still doing that. And worshipping Satan. And sacrificing people's firstborns....

But seriously, that segment was embarrassing crap. I was hoping for something Chicago-related, but in their minds, the Sox are STILL not a Chicago team.

wassagstdu
10-23-2005, 08:39 AM
I don't much care for Bill Veeck and I am not easily offended, but that opening BS was OFFENSIVE. Then how could they not show Luis Aparicio throwing out the first pitch, which I had been looking forward to as much as the game! I want a list of all of those advertisers (mostly Fox itself, I think) so I can BOYCOTT. Man, was I steamed!

Felt better after the game, though. I love this team.

EDIT: Is there any effective way to register a complaint with Fox? Anyone know who to complain to?

:luis&nell

wassagstdu
10-23-2005, 08:48 AM
On the other hand, I think the Sox organization showed again that it is a class act with its part of the pregame -- as much as we saw of it. I thought Josh Groban was terrific, maybe the best I have heard singing the national anthem. My comment was "How can a guy who sings that well sell records?"

TornLabrum
10-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Give them a break. It is highly probable that they were tripping on ergot fungus (LSD) and knew not what they were doing.

Or they were just narrow minded bigots. That would explain part of the ESPN bias against anything west of Bristol, CT.

TomBradley72
10-23-2005, 01:59 PM
The Veeck part was the worst part. People forget almost everything about modern baseball has Veecks fingerprints on it, from the extended playoff schedule with a wildcard to interleague play, thse were ALL his ideas originally, and it took Selig and the strike for baseball to come around. It is often forgotten he is the one who planted the ivy at wrigley and put names on uniforms. Two things he often does not get credit for.

He was a bit of an oddball, but he wanted baseball to have more fan appeal. Baseball is better because of Veecks contributions. To disgrace him with that opening montage is a shame. He is one of the few men that never played the game that contributed significantly to the game.

The shoeless joe part was a bit lame, but the Veeck thing really upset me.

It was a disgrace. Veeck wasn't perfect....but he left a real legacy from his time in baseball....including two pennants (White Sox and Indians) in an era when the Yankees won almost every year. He was also a veteran...having served in the Marines...and losing part of his leg during his military service. To paint him as a "yellow toothed scam artist" was a complete disgrace to the Veeck family and Chicago. The media amazes me....the White Sox have a very interesting history, fan base, role in Chicago sports...just telling as it is makes a great story...no b.s. network embellishment needed.

tebman
10-23-2005, 02:12 PM
The media amazes me....the White Sox have a very interesting history, fan base, role in Chicago sports...just telling as it is makes a great story...no b.s. network embellishment needed.
But you're forgetting we're talking about (cue growly voice) FOX here. Embellishment and edgy glitz are Fox's middle names. That's an outfit run by people who wear dark glasses and linen pants in sun-kissed L.A. (or wish they did). No story is ever enough by itself. It's got to have more juice, more pop. That's why they do those tight-nostril closeups of the pitcher and batter and the dugout interviews and the intrusive animations and all the rest.

I'm really not a cranky old guy yearning for a simpler time -- I just don't have much patience with phonies. The White Sox (and the Astros too, for that matter) have a great story on their own this year. No need to put a Mardi Gras suit on it.

Lip Man 1
10-23-2005, 02:31 PM
I agree the opening was stupid, vapid and brainless. I guess Fox was just trying to please their 'normal' audience. I also agree that not showing Aparicio throwing out the first ball was heinous. I was looking forward to seeing Little Looie. it turns out the other guys from 59 were there as well. They deserved some camera time instead of 'play acting' theater for pre teen's. :angry:

Lip

mike squires
10-23-2005, 02:51 PM
I kept thinking, HEre we are in 2005 and this is the best they could come up with. It looked like an amatuer put together that piece. Now, it would have been cool if they had paid Ray Liotta to act the piece but I agree with most here, the Veek part was awful...

Black Jack 29
10-23-2005, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=The_Floridian]You know, the upside of all this is that if FOX decides they aren't getting the ratings they want, they might pass on keeping the World Series once the current contract expires.

Think about it...no more Buck and McCarver...

QUOTE]

I forget who had the rights to the World Series before Fox took over, but I remember that McCarver was an analyst for them as well. I remember how excited I was when Fox was taking over, and that I would never have to listen to McCarver again. So what is the first thing that Fox does when they were staffing up? They hire this knob. I was stunned.

flo-B-flo
10-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Didn't see it. Never watch that pre-game bull**** on faux. I always show up minutes before gametime. Golfed until dusk, beer run, and then get home just in time for the last commercial before the game begins. I'm not surprised at all by faux and the curse bull****. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN CURSES, but, if I did a pox upon faux!!:angry:

StockdaleForVeep
10-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Has any chicago media outlet put out a sox curse angle or is this all national media. Plus we have people here who are influential in the paper media, anyway we can get some fellow wsi'ers to bitch about the espn crap angle theyre playin?

kitekrazy
10-23-2005, 04:37 PM
It's sad that the major networks really know how to ruin a sporting event.
It makes me miss Hawk and DJ.

There was a lot of useles crap that Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could've done a better job.

Fenway
10-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Well it had Andy the Clown :smile:

Ok look the Black Sox angle will be played over and over there is no getting away from that ( except to win )

The actor playing Veeck was an insult Mary Francis should sue

steff
10-24-2005, 05:00 PM
How in the heck do I get that pic of me..? I have it on Tivo... pause it, take a picture then DL it..?

StockdaleForVeep
10-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Well it had Andy the Clown :smile:

Ok look the Black Sox angle will be played over and over there is no getting away from that ( except to win )

The actor playing Veeck was an insult Mary Francis should sue

Are you kidding? Im sure conspiracy theorists are proclaiming the sox paid the umps for all the bad calls

Nellie_Fox
10-25-2005, 12:39 AM
Ok look the Black Sox angle will be played over and over there is no getting away from that ( except to win )There was a great one-liner in the local newspaper today. The sports columnist said "as far as I can tell from the Fox coverage of the World Series, the 1919 Black Sox are playing Prison Break."

FarWestChicago
10-25-2005, 01:07 AM
There was a great one-liner in the local newspaper today. The sports columnist said "as far as I can tell from the Fox coverage of the World Series, the 1919 Black Sox are playing Prison Break."LOL!! That's classic. :rolling:

Jurr
10-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Are you kidding? Im sure conspiracy theorists are proclaiming the sox paid the umps for all the bad calls
No crap!!! I spend my days working in all types of people's mouths, and that guy's teeth made ME want to vomit. It looked like he had tartar sauce lodged in his choppers!!! UGHHHHH!!

SoxEd
10-26-2005, 01:58 PM
The Fox broadcast team saying how 'all the blown calls are going the way of the Sox' in the 8th (?) inning REALLY annoyed me.

Sutcliffe 'conveniently' forgets the instances HE HIMSELF cited of the Ump extending the strike zone for Houston pitchers IN THAT GAME, and, more importantly, the Lane Home Run in the 4th, which FOX SHOWED was NOT a home run.

Bias?
Or Incompetence?

Anyway, we won in the 14th, DEAL WITH IT MEDIA!