PDA

View Full Version : Magic Number is 4?

OKCSoxFan
10-22-2005, 04:24 PM
I've seen everyone say it (including the mayor) but isn't the magic number technically 7?

anewman35
10-22-2005, 04:28 PM
I've seen everyone say it (including the mayor) but isn't the magic number technically 7?

The phrase "magic number" is amazingly pointless once you're in the playoffs, so does it really matter?

soxfan26
10-22-2005, 04:51 PM

No, it's 4 because that is the number of Sox wins & Astro losses it will take to end this thing.

But like anewman35 said, it's kind of pointless to say magic number. Just win 4 ballgames.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-22-2005, 04:53 PM
No, it's 4 because that is the number of Sox wins & Astro losses it will take to end this thing.

But like anewman35 said, it's kind of pointless to say magic number. Just win 4 ballgames.

if that was true, wouldn't the Sox clinch by winning the 1st 2 games? 2 sox wins, 2 stro losses, 2 games

Jjav829
10-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Who cares? Really, it's the World ****ing Series. If anyone needs a Magic number to understand what we need to do to win then perhaps baseball isn't the sport for them.

Does anyone know the Magic number of runs for the Sox to win tonight?

OKCSoxFan
10-22-2005, 04:56 PM
The phrase "magic number" is amazingly pointless once you're in the playoffs, so does it really matter?

It matter only to those who use it. But point being...if you're going to use it, use it correctly. Sox fans are some of the most knowledgeable around, so it just bothers me to see it done wrong, that's all.

But I totally agree -- magic number doesn't matter.

Goose
10-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Who cares? Really, it's the World ****ing Series. If anyone needs a Magic number to understand what we need to do to win then perhaps baseball isn't the sport for you.

Does anyone know the Magic number of runs for the Sox to win tonight?

I believe the formula for that is # of Astros runs + 1, however, I think I saw Baseball Prospectus say that the Sox would only have an 80% chance of winning with that formula.

soxfan26
10-22-2005, 05:03 PM
if that was true, wouldn't the Sox clinch by winning the 1st 2 games? 2 sox wins, 2 stro losses, 2 games

Yeah, I confused myself trying to explain the misnomer. I was coming back to edit my post - thanks for quoting it. :redneck

Just win 4 ballgames!

PAPChiSox729
10-22-2005, 05:07 PM

Four wins. That is the magic number.