PDA

View Full Version : Question for Technogeeks

PaleHoseGeorge
12-12-2001, 09:50 PM
Can anybody go back and find out how many starting line ups Jerry Manuel used in 2001 that matched (as close as possible) our 2000 championship season's line up? I remember Dave Wills complaining a lot about this last summer until he finally just gave up or was politely told to keep quiet.

The 2001 equivalent to the 2000 championship line up would have been...

2B Durham
SS Valentin
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
1B Konerko
3B Perry
CF Singleton
C Alomar/Johnson/Paul

I realize injuries prevented this, especially after Frank got hurt in May. However, I don't think Manuel used this line up more than 5 times the first two months of the season.

Anybody know the facts?

czalgosz
12-12-2001, 10:07 PM
I looked over the old box scores from April, before Thomas was hurt. The Choice played in most of those games, so that ruled out most of them. The closest I could find to what you were talking about was this one from April 26th -

2b Durham
SS Valentin
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
1B Konerko
LF Lee
CF Singleton
3B Perry
C Alomar

We got clubbed by the A's in that game, 16-6, mainly due to a disastrous start by Jim Parque. But if you're going to talk details, I dound that Singleton got moved from the 8 to the 7 hole for the 2001 season, and Lee and Konerko switched the 5 and 6 hole. There you go...

Daver
12-12-2001, 10:14 PM
I can't help PHG,only Hello Knue-man considers me a technogeek.

kermittheefrog
12-12-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I looked over the old box scores from April, before Thomas was hurt. The Choice played in most of those games, so that ruled out most of them. The closest I could find to what you were talking about was this one from April 26th -

2b Durham
SS Valentin
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
1B Konerko
LF Lee
CF Singleton
3B Perry
C Alomar

We got clubbed by the A's in that game, 16-6, mainly due to a disastrous start by Jim Parque. But if you're going to talk details, I dound that Singleton got moved from the 8 to the 7 hole for the 2001 season, and Lee and Konerko switched the 5 and 6 hole. There you go...

They used the same lineup as above in a 8-7 win over Cleveland on April 10th.

IIRC Singleton batted 7th in 2000 anyway breaking up the string of righties.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-13-2001, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

They used the same lineup as above in a 8-7 win over Cleveland on April 10th.

IIRC Singleton batted 7th in 2000 anyway breaking up the string of righties.

Yes, I remember that, too. Singleton was demoted to #9 later in 2000 when it became obvious CJ was too good (and Swingleton too lousy) to bat the catcher so low in the line up.

So basically, you're telling me Manuel used his 2000 championship line up only twice in nearly two months worth of games before the injury to Frank Thomas made the point moot.

Man, that's f-ing unbelievable.

:jerry
"I had to get Julio into the flow."

:KW
"Championship? Hey man, that was before my time!"