PDA

View Full Version : Garner's White Sox History

Lip Man 1
10-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Pretty good history of Phil Garner and his revulsion towards the White Sox during his time with the Brewers and Tigers.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg22.html

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2005, 01:33 PM
We punched out Garner's punks from Detroit (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=65&category=4) quite thoroughly back in 2000 as I recall. Who can forget Magglio Ordonez doing martial arts moves on the Tigers in short left field that game? Or Carlos Lee needing to be restrained by at least three teammates, his shirt half-opened and looking like he would break the spleen of the first Tiger he could reach.

Good times...
:thumbsup:

Fightin' Phil might be the only MLB manager whose level of stupidity ever matched Terry Bevington's. I'm hardly surprised they came to blows back in the 90's -- two complete imbeciles.

Scrap Heap Garner is damned lucky to even have a manager's job after Detroit fired his ass. I'm guessing he got smart in Houston and gave up his two-bit carny motivational techniques he used to use with the Brewers and Tigers. I haven't heard much about him acting like a boob these past two years. Terry Bevington should be given as many chances as this ******* has been given.

:o:

The Busher is Back! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=107&category=3)

Sox Fans know Phil Garner too well. He's been a dope for a very long time.
:cool:

Chisox353014
10-22-2005, 01:36 PM
:garner
"Hey, come on now Sox fans! I'm yer buddy now!"

miker
10-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Fightin' Phil might be the only MLB manager whose level of stupidity ever matched Terry Bevington's.
Now THAT is an insult!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Now THAT is an insult!

Thanks. I'll be here all week.

:wink:

SOXintheBURGH
10-22-2005, 03:05 PM
We punched out Garner's punks from Detroit (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=65&category=4) quite thoroughly back in 2000 as I recall. Who can forget Magglio Ordonez doing martial arts moves on the Tigers in short left field that game? Or Carlos Lee needing to be restrained by at least three teammates, his shirt half-opened and looking like he would break the spleen of the first Tiger he could reach.

Good times...

Fightin' Phil might be the only MLB manager whose level of stupidity ever matched Terry Bevington's. I'm hardly surprised they came to blows back in the 90's -- two complete imbeciles.

Scrap Heap Garner is damned lucky to even have a manager's job after Detroit fired his ass. I'm guessing he got smart in Houston and gave up his two-bit carny motivational techniques he used to use with the Brewers and Tigers. I haven't heard much about him acting like a boob these past two years. Terry Bevington should be given as many chances as this ******* has been given.

The Busher is Back! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=107&category=3)

I love PHG's tirades.

I'm pretty sure Garner only got the job in Houston because he played there, and for no other reason.

jackbrohamer
10-23-2005, 04:27 PM
GAFM how amateurish is this: "[Chairman Jerry] Reinsdorf sits in his ivory tower down there and he thinks his crap rolls into Milwaukee. They look down on us. That's the bottom line. I don't like that. That's the main reason right there.'' Sounds like he's trying to motivate a bunch of grammar schoolers.

Garner was as responsible as anyone (ok, maybe less than Selig and Selig-Prieb, but still) for running the Milwaukee franchise into the ground, it's not hard to see why.

JorgeFabregas
10-23-2005, 04:40 PM
I love PHG's tirades.

I'm pretty sure Garner only got the job in Houston because he played there, and for no other reason.
Regardless, he's done a good job.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Regardless, he's done a good job.

Sure, now that he has stopped acting like an imbecile, "he's done a good job." He finally got it right with his THIRD ****ing chance at managing a major league ballclub!

Terry Bevington only got one. How many chances should he be given?

Soxfan_25
10-23-2005, 04:57 PM
The only thing that matters to me about Phil Garner is that he and the rest of the Astros, when all is said and done, are gonna be called........LOSERS!

TaylorStSox
10-23-2005, 04:58 PM

Good times...

I seem to recall most of our guys getting their butt whooped, most notably Keith "My eye hurts" Foulke.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2005, 05:03 PM
I seem to recall most of our guys getting their butt whooped, most notably Keith "My eye hurts" Foulke.

As I recall Foulke was ganged up on by at least 3 different Tigers and received a cut from a sucker punch delivered by Karim Garcia who standing behind Foulke when he delivered the blow. I also recall one of Scrap Heap's coaches, Juan Samuel, being one of the primary combatants. If his teammates hadn't held him back, I'm pretty sure somebody from Detroit would have been SERIOUSLY HURT by Carlos Lee.

It's funny. The Sox were there to play a baseball game. And because Jeff Weaver couldn't find the strike zone and Garner's Tigers were getting humilated (again), they started fighting.

Okay, it's not funny at all.

TaylorStSox
10-23-2005, 05:05 PM
As I recall Foulke was ganged up on by at least 3 different Tigers and received a cut. I also recall one of Scrap Heap's coaches, Juan Samuel, being one of the primary combatants. If his teammates hadn't held him back, I'm pretty sure somebody from Detroit would have been SERIOUSLY HURT by Carlos Lee.

It's funny. The Sox were there to play a baseball game. And because Jeff Weaver couldn't find the strike zone and Garner's Tigers were getting humilated (again), they started fighting.

Yeah, I remember Samuel was being an idiot. As far as Foulke goes, that's the nature of the beast. You get into a 30 on 30 fight and you're bound to run into some 3 on 1 action. :redneck

FWIW, Garner's a ridiculously petty moron. And, that fight was probably the best thing to happen to that 00 team.

JorgeFabregas
10-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Sure, now that he has stopped acting like an imbecile, "he's done a good job." He finally got it right with his THIRD ****ing chance at managing a major league ballclub!

Point being that it was a good hire insofar as it has worked out for the Astros. Results matter. That's what we've been saying all along, right?

Wsoxmike59
10-23-2005, 05:37 PM
I still hate Phil Garner for instigating the bean ball wars with the White Sox. In both cases his guys threw at the Sox first! (FACT) The Sox only retaliated to protect their hitters. (FACT)

I will take special glee in winning this series if indeed the Sox do so. It will be sweet revenge and a little baseball justice meted out.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Point being that it was a good hire insofar as it has worked out for the Astros. Results matter. That's what we've been saying all along, right?

So let's give Terry Bevington endless opportunities, too. Results matter no matter how long it takes, right?

StillMissOzzie
10-24-2005, 12:38 AM
So let's give Terry Bevington endless opportunities, too. Results matter no matter how long it takes, right?

No, the Sox don't owe Bev another chance, some other team has to give this clown a fresh start. It's not like Milwaukee fired and re-hired Scrap Heap (I like that nickname, hope you don't mind me using it too), some other chumps (read: Detroit) came along and gave him a chance.

As a side note, ex-Cub manager Don Baylor can thank Scrap Heap for the fat paychecks he got from the Cubs. I recall that when the Tigers hired Scrap Heap, Baylor said something like "If Garner is worth ($ X) a year, then I am certainly worth (110% of $ X) a year..."

SMO
:gulp:

ChiSoxRowand
10-24-2005, 12:45 AM
I love PHG's tirades.

When he got the Houston job, I heard ESPN say he went to the same church as owner Drayton Mclane.

Chisox353014
10-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Did anyone else notice that Fox seemed to be obsessed with showing Phil Garner tonight? it seemed like after every pitch they had a shot of Scrap Heap slumped against the dugout railing. It's not like he was doing anything either. Just sitting there like a slug. And we saw him 5,687 times for some reason. Very strange.

Sox 2 - Scrap Heap 0 :gulp:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-24-2005, 02:44 AM
Pretty good history of Phil Garner and his revulsion towards the White Sox during his time with the Brewers and Tigers.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg22.html

Lip

Funny Garner shows more class and less hatred towards the White Sox than tool Couch circa 2005.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-24-2005, 02:46 AM

I don't think another team can hire him until he takes off his White Sox jacket which may have grafted to his body at this point.

DrCrawdad
10-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Does anyone have any pictures to post of the Garner/Bevington fight? I don't remember much about the fight myself, but if there are pictures it would be cool to post them.

If you're going to Houston for any of the games, how about a poster with, "PHIL, BEVINGTON SENDS HIS LOVE."

Lillian
10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Does anyone remember exactly what is the source of bad blood between the Sox and Phil Garner? I recall that there was a big brawl with the Tigers a few years ago, when Garner was with Detroit, but I don't remember the details.
Even Hawk openly says he doesn't like him.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-26-2005, 09:39 AM
As I recall Foulke was ganged up on by at least 3 different Tigers and received a cut from a sucker punch delivered by Karim Garcia who standing behind Foulke when he delivered the blow. I also recall one of Scrap Heap's coaches, Juan Samuel, being one of the primary combatants. If his teammates hadn't held him back, I'm pretty sure somebody from Detroit would have been SERIOUSLY HURT by Carlos Lee.

I was at that game sitting in the left field bleachers. There was at least 4-5 guys on Foulke (I think it was Foulke) in right center field. One guy grabbed him by his shirt and pulled him down. A couple of these turds started kicking at him; then-bullpen catcher Robert Fick plays hero with some cheap shots of his own. Fick strolls back to the bullpen with his arms in the air like he did it all. Beer and all sorts of stuff poured out of the right center field bleachers. A couple of guys nailed him with ice, but he didn't care. He celebrated with middle fingers for everybody.
Fick is the reason I just couldn't cheer for the Padres to do well in the playoffs this year. I hate that guy, just despise him.

OTOH, if I was Carlos Lee, I'd be pretty mad and looking to fight someone as well. He did drop an easy fly ball earlier in the game and our section just booed him the rest of the day, regardless of what he did afterwards.

AZChiSoxFan
10-26-2005, 10:54 AM

Career managing record under .500. Are those the results you're talking about?

BTW, see the thread in "Talking Baseball" referencing Tom Verducci's SI article on how Garner is basically bailing out on his team.

What a loser.

scottjanssens
10-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Funny Garner shows more class and less hatred towards the White Sox than tool Couch circa 2005.

Yeah, that was classy when Garner called Carl a "fat ****" last night.

ode to veeck
10-26-2005, 11:28 AM

At least until last night when his true nature showed through in the tirade a crazy carl, the chair throwing on the blum HR, and the post game interview "I'm pissed, I'm really pissed", his stealthy covert lack of class shown through last night in the spotlight. Fortunately, the rest of the Strohs interviews showed they still have a fair bit of the right attitude and class, in spite of their skipper.

Soxfan_25
10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
I believe Mr. Garner's comments after the marathon game loss kind of says it all. He sounds like a manager that is realizing that he and his team are going to be swept by a much more talented and scrappy White Sox bunch that just refuse to lose. Oh well. Phil, at least ya won't have far to travel to go home after your team is swept out of the World Series in 4 games.
GO SOX . . 2005 MLB WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

LuvSox
10-26-2005, 04:05 PM
At least until last night when his true nature showed through in the tirade a crazy carl, the chair throwing on the blum HR, and the post game interview "I'm pissed, I'm really pissed", his stealthy covert lack of class shown through last night in the spotlight. Fortunately, the rest of the Strohs interviews showed they still have a fair bit of the right attitude and class, in spite of their skipper.

Classic Garner last night, what a tool. His boyfriend-third base coach Doug Mansolino is no better.

Vernam
10-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, that was classy when Garner called Carl a "fat ****" last night.Especially since Barbara Bush was seated about 10 paces to Garner's left!

Garner's from Knoxville, where I went to grad school. No one there could stand the SOB, either.

Vernam

maurice
10-26-2005, 04:29 PM
When he got the Houston job, I heard ESPN say he went to the same church as owner Drayton Mclane.

My advanced lip-reading ability confirms that Garner is an extremely devout Christian.

HotelWhiteSox
10-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Garner's an idiot, his team battles for 14 innings, and instead of admitting that the White Sox are good, he calls his team's performance 'embarrasing' after the game and acts like a baby after Blum hits the HR. It's too bad he'll get manager of the year considerations for "turning around" bad starts, even though it didn't hurt to have Clemens, Oswalt, Kent, Beltran, and Lidge to work with in 04 and Clemens, Oswalt, Pettite, Lidge and Berkman's return from the DL after their bad start this year.

It just shows what a tool he is when he praised the Sox organization at the beginning of the series after what had transpired in the past. One of my favorite parts of last night's game was reading the lips of Carl and Ozzie in the dugouts, classic stuff